• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

MRORANGE

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/faq

Greenlight Beta group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/greenlightbeta#

What is Steam Greenlight?

Steam Greenlight is a new system that enlists the community's help in picking some of the next games to be released on Steam. Developers post information, screenshots, and videos for their game and seek a critical mass of community support in order to get selected for distribution. Steam Greenlight also helps developers get feedback from potential customers and start creating an active community around their game as early in the development process as they like.

How does this differ from other stores’ submission processes?

The prime difference is the size of the team that gets to decide what gets released. For many stores, there is a team that reviews entries and decides what gets past the gates. We're approaching this from a different angle: The community should be deciding what gets released. After all, it’s the community that will ultimately be the ones deciding which release they spend their money on.

iO7Y1kFto4cui.jpg

I know of a game that should be here. What do I do?

Go contact the game developer and suggest that they submit their game here for consideration.

What do I need in order to submit my game?

You'll need a valid and non-limited Steam account (yes, that means you'll need to own a game on Steam). Then, you'll need to fill out the submission form, including some information about you and your game. The submission will require:

A square branding image (similar to a box cover) to represent your game in lists and search
At least 1 video showing off your game or presenting your concept
At least 4 screenshots or images
A written description of the game along with tentative system requirements

iByORMdJ2cDmV.jpg

Do not make fake projects, these will get a you a week ban from the Steam community features, blatant copyright of other games, may be more severe.

HoosTrax

first thing on the agenda, vote for all the pinball games
I don't think I've played a PC pinball game since that pack-in title that came with Windows in the late 90s. It'd be interesting to bust out the 360 pad to play one, probably feel more natural using the triggers and bumpers than using a keyboard.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder how many games they will approve a month?

Also, do you guys think this will fill Steam with shovelware? Couldnt a company with many resources just game the system?

Dynoro

Also, do you guys think this will fill Steam with shovelware? Couldnt a company with many resources just game the system?

As Valve still has right of refusal so I think shovelware should be kept to a minimum - unless those that get through sell well and Valve sees the dollar signs.

Vastag

Doesn't valve still have the last word? I'm not completely sure about how this will work, but I suppose that valve will want to reatain a degree of control over the content in their service.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Props to Valve for trying new things.
This could be really good for devs.

So any one knows when is really coming? because we were preparing to present a game with it.
I suppose its stuck at Valve Time limbo like the first time their majority of projects are announced, and will have to wait to 2013.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
So any one knows when is really coming? because we were preparing to present a game with it.
I suppose its stuck at Valve Time limbo like the first time their majority of projects are announced, and will have to wait to 2013.

Probably this afternoon. 1 PM EST seems to be the de facto Valve update time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It should go live some time within the next 17 hours. It's a few minutes shy of 7AM over in Valve Land, but I assume the launch will coincide with the general Steam update in about three hours.

Edit: b10.

Probably this afternoon. 1 PM EST seems to be the de facto Valve update time.

It should go live some time within the next 17 hours. It's a few minutes shy of 7AM over in Valve Land, but I assume the launch will coincide with the general Steam update in a about three hours.

Edit: b10.

Thanks guys!
I hoped that valve time would be a little with us this time, at least a week. The trailer for our game needs still the final touches.
Oh well.

Twinduct

No hats, Origin drm seemed like a better fit, game will have day 1 dlc with different coloured noughts and crosses.

But the game is procedurally generated?
Pros: Origin DRM, DLC & Visceral
Cons: 'Oscar Worthy story'.

You have a customer sir!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
hey everyone fund my $100k kickstarter for my epic mmo idea set in feudal times and vote 4me on project greenlight plz RT #chubigansmmo

Top Bottom