• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero? Any Hype?

Gunstar

Banned
Jet Grind Radio! said:
There is mixing of tracks. Granted, it's set up very strict, but you do crossfades and stuff.

I checked some more vids and saw the stuff you refer to as mixing, the crossfader-slapping whenever the left or right track makes a turn. But that's not mixing. That's the equivalent of pressing an imaginary mute button on a turntable. So to say this game "actually makes you mix tracks" is wrong IMO.

But that's not really an issue as long as the gameplay is fun. The problem is the terrible tracklist, full of pop, rock, hiphop and "classics", devoid of any real EDM. You can counter with "this game isn't called "Electronic Hero"" but if the gameplay visuals are solely showing clubs, you better back that up with some club music.

Unless of course they really spin this shit in american clubs.

Like pressing an orange button on a fake guitar is the same as playing a real one. Fuck off. It's faking mixing. There are two tracks and you jump between them.

inner-G

Banned
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Like pressing an orange button on a fake guitar is the same as playing a real one. Fuck off. It's faking mixing. There are two tracks and you jump between them.
Mixing is all about adjusting speed to get the tempos of 2 songs to match up.

It's not just switching on a crossfader.

On a guitar, all you do is hold a string and pluck it. That's why 'just pressing an orange button' is fairly reasonable.

DJing is not so easy.

same old same old.
Holding a pad is not the same as driving a car.
Holding a pad is not the same as shooting someone in the face.

If you start pretending to have fun whilst playing games you might even have a little by accident.

Gunstar

Banned
Well, fuck off yourself sir. :D

The fact that you're jumping between tracks means it's not mixing, since slapping the crossfader results in muting one track and having the other playing 100%, hence: not a mix between tracks.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
inner-G said:
Yea, I'm already planning on getting Scratch, it just sucks that the one that stays truer to hip-hop feel is the one stuck in development hell.

I feel the sameway you do. But I will be getting DJ Hero because at least they can actually finish the game.

Ummm, Scratch isn't really any closer to "real mixing" or DJing either, unless you think Beatmania is as well.

Also, oh noes, it's not Ableton Hero or CDJ Hero.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Gunstar said:
Well, fuck off yourself sir. :D

The fact that you're jumping between tracks means it's not mixing, since slapping the crossfader results in muting one track and having the other playing 100%, hence: not a mix between tracks.
Errr, you do know that when the fader is in the middle it plays both tracks?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gunstar said:
But that's not really an issue as long as the gameplay is fun. The problem is the terrible tracklist, full of pop, rock, hiphop and "classics", devoid of any real EDM. You can counter with "this game isn't called "Electronic Hero"" but if the gameplay visuals are solely showing clubs, you better back that up with some club music.

Unless of course they really spin this shit in american clubs.
My problem is the set list too, and while I'm not completely against the tracklist but a lot of the mixes just seem to have a song with a good beat mixed with something that doesn't really have any place being mixed in. This is most obvious with the songs Daft Punk mixed.

Gunstar

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Errr, you do know that when the fader is in the middle it plays both tracks?

Sure, but that doesn't make it close to mixing in any way (I admit my previous post was worded badly). Mixing is cueing, beatmatching, selective EQ-ing, etc. Now I don't expect a game like DJ Hero to do this (if you want that experience buy a couple Pioneer decks), I'm just saying that the presence of the crossfader doesn't make this close to emulating 'real mixing', much less than playing guitar hero emulates playing a real guitar.

This is just a rhythm game on a turntable-resembling controller with some cool crossfader/scratch moves. Which could be mad fun if the tracklist/mash-ups weren't so shitty.

Gunstar

Banned
Terrordactyl said:
Thats pretty subjective, the only mashup I've heard that I personally think is terrible is the Monkeywrench/Sabotage track.

True. I rarely like vocals in my EDM, and to see the few proper EDM tracks in DJ Hero get raped with vocals I don't like stings a little. If you do like them, great, I envy you. :p

Kccitystar

Gunstar said:
Sure, but that doesn't make it close to mixing in any way (I admit my previous post was worded badly). Mixing is cueing, beatmatching, selective EQ-ing, etc. Now I don't expect a game like DJ Hero to do this (if you want that experience buy a couple Pioneer decks), I'm just saying that the presence of the crossfader doesn't make this close to emulating 'real mixing', much less than playing guitar hero emulates playing a real guitar.

This is just a rhythm game on a turntable-resembling controller with some cool crossfader/scratch moves. Which could be mad fun if the tracklist/mash-ups weren't so shitty.

The game is supposed to be played by everyone, that's why the controls are simple enough to understand and the game is easier to play. The extra stuff would over-complicate the functionality of the game.

Gunstar

Banned
JonathanEx said:
And I thought guitar players hating on gh were snobs...

Has nothing to do with being snobby. I don't hate on the games controller, I'm just explaining that people who think it comes close to mixing (like GH sort of comes close to playing guitar) are fooling themselves.
Kccitystar said:
The game is supposed to be played by everyone, that's why the controls are simple enough to understand and the game is easier to play. The extra stuff would over-complicate the functionality of the game.
Sure, like I said in my post, I don't expect that kind of functionality from a game. Who does, really?

I guess I'm the only one here almost completely satisfied with the tracklist... I mean Queen, Daft, Punk, Eminem, Jay-Z, Beck, 50 Cent, and Gorillaz are all some of my favorite artists, with other stuff I moderately enjoy like Justice, Beastie Boys, Kid Cudi, and The Killers... I seriously don't see how anyone can not like the tracklist. I mean what the hell were you expecting from a "____ Hero" game? IMO this is the best launch tracklist they've had for any of the Hero games. I just can't get over that $120 price tag.

I'm more than satisfied with what has been revealed so far.

Daft Punk
Beastie Boys
Blondie
Daft Punk
David Bowie
Foreigner
Jackson 5
The Killers
Daft Punk
Marvin Gaye
MC Hammer
Queen
Rick James
Vanilla Ice
Daft fucking Punk

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Why isn't there a special edition featuring a Daft Punk costume? I would buy the living shit out of that.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
DeadFalling said:
I guess I'm the only one here almost completely satisfied with the tracklist... I mean Queen, Daft, Punk, Eminem, Jay-Z, Beck, 50 Cent, and Gorillaz are all some of my favorite artists, with other stuff I moderately enjoy like Justice, Beastie Boys, Kid Cudi, and The Killers... I seriously don't see how anyone can not like the tracklist. I mean what the hell were you expecting from a "____ Hero" game? IMO this is the best launch tracklist they've had for any of the Hero games. I just can't get over that $120 price tag.

I agree. I really like the tracklist. People who want obscure artists I've never heard of can f themselves. This is a mainstream game, and should feature mainstream songs.

I wouldn't go so far as best tracklist of any Hero game, but I really like the song selection in this game. I also like that the mixes are 'new' songs, unlike other rhythm games where you know what you're going to get. I'm also hesitant to purchase because of the pricetag and the plethora of plastic instruments already in the living room. Luckily, my roommate will likely buy this, so I'll be able to play.

EMBee99 said:
Why isn't there a special edition featuring a Daft Punk costume? I would buy the living shit out of that.

No shit, the SE should be a Daft Punk/Shadow not JayZ/Eminem this is DJ hero not Emcee Hero for christs sakes!

At least this peripheral is much smaller than a guitar or drum set, I'm having a hard time deciding if you should play this game standing up. IMO its not worth 80 dollars for a stand. Maybe they will sell the stand/case seperatley later though.

luffeN

daft punk is doing 11 mixes, 8 of these are the following:

• Daft Punk „Around the World“ vs. Young MC „Bust A Move“
• Daft Punk „Da Funk” vs. NASA „Strange Enough ft. Karen O, ODB and Fatlip“
• Daft Punk „Da Funk“ vs. Queen „Another One Bites the Dust“
• Daft Punk „Robot Rock“ vs. Hashim „Al-Naafiysh (The Soul)“ – Produced and mixed by The Scratch Perverts
• Daft Punk „Robot Rock“ vs. Queen „We Will Rock You“
• Daft Punk „Short Circuit“ vs. Boogie Down Productions „Jack Of Spades“
• Daft Punk „Technologic“ vs. Gary Numan „Cars“
• Daft Punk „Television Rules The Nation“ vs. No Doubt „Hella Good“

Eggo said:
I agree. I really like the tracklist. People who want obscure artists I've never heard of can f themselves. This is a mainstream game, and should feature mainstream songs.

Tiesto, Guetta, Lasgo, Annagrace (Ian Van Dahl) etc arent mainstream?

Theres one Paul Van Dyke, one Benni bennasi, and some daft punk....

Im not hating on the hip hop, but this title is severely lacking on songs from actual DJs.

bryehn

I find myself more excited for this game lately. It's nothing like real DJing at all and the setlist is not geared towards my taste at all (except Daft Punk), but the Mashup Hero mechanics look fun enough to give it a spin.

I'd love to see a free mix mode that required you to beatmatch, etc and I'd especially love to see a Drum N Bass hero with like 200 tracks down the road :lol

Phthisis

DeadFalling said:

For me it all depends on the DLC. If they add people like Armin, Gareth Emery, Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, and any other electronic stuff (Galen Behr, please!) down the line, then I will for sure buy this game. But the initial tracklist is full of songs I really don't want to play/hear.

I mean, fuck. Eric Prydz has songs in the game, why not do a mix with Daft Punk?

I'm all for other genres and stuff, I just need my EDM. So yeah, DLC will determine what I get.

Shining Sunshine said:
Wow, so Tiesto is completely gone?

They should call Pop'n'Hero if there's no real DJs in there. These are just rap and pop songs.

Tiesto should still be in this. Elements of Life is on the tracklist.

kodt

Banned
jamesinclair said:
Tiesto, Guetta, Lasgo, Annagrace (Ian Van Dahl) etc arent mainstream?

Theres one Paul Van Dyke, one Benni bennasi, and some daft punk....

Im not hating on the hip hop, but this title is severely lacking on songs from actual DJs.

Well personally I haven't heard of Lasgo or Guetta. But stuff like Svenson & Gielen / Ferry Corsten / Paul Okenfold / Sasha + John Digweed would seem mainstream to me. And of course Tiesto.

Haven't listened to any of them in many years, are they all still around? :lol

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm very happy with the tracklist, feels very fresh after the guitar hero/rock band games are running out of big hitters. These can reuse them because they're mixed up.
My main concern is the DLC prices, have they been set? I was just thinking that they have to take 2 songs, mix them up, set the notes for them, and credit the 2 artists?

Gunstar

Banned
Shining Sunshine said:
Wow, so Tiesto is completely gone?

The track Elements of Life is in DJ Hero.

Teknopathetic said:
I didn't know DJing was only possible with EDM.

Don't act like this is some perfect tracklist that is beyond any scrutiny. It's shallow, it's mainstream, it seems targeted exclusively to the US and almost no self-respecting DJ would spin any of these tracks.

kodt said:
Haven't listened to any of them in many years, are they all still around?

Except for Svenson, yeah. Johan Gielen is solo now.

"Don't act like this is some perfect tracklist that is beyond any scrutiny. It's shallow, it's mainstream, it seems targeted exclusively to the US and almost no self-respecting DJ would spin any of these tracks."

Nothing I said even remotely implied that, I'm mocking the completely stupid assertion that the only "actual" DJs in the world play EDM. Unless you actually agree with that, there's nothing in my post for you to take issue with.

Gunstar

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Nothing I said even remotely implied that, I'm mocking the completely stupid assertion that the only "actual" DJs in the world play EDM. Unless you actually agree with that, there's nothing in my post for you to take issue with.

It seemed you tried using a witty comment to devalue any criticism of the tracklist.

Of course there are DJ's that play poppy stuff. But why limit yourself to that when you're making a DJ game, it doesn't make any sense. Like a mainstream gamer is going to care whether there are 7 BEP songs or 4. Those 3 open spots could then be filled with some EDM for example to attract more players.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Phthisis said:
For me it all depends on the DLC. If they add people like Armin, Gareth Emery, Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, and any other electronic stuff (Galen Behr, please!) down the line, then I will for sure buy this game. But the initial tracklist is full of songs I really don't want to play/hear.

I mean, fuck. Eric Prydz has songs in the game, why not do a mix with Daft Punk?

I'm all for other genres and stuff, I just need my EDM. So yeah, DLC will determine what I get.

Hmm, did you hear about the Armin DJing game announced for Wii? You'd probably be better off waiting for that...

kodt said:
Well personally I haven't heard of Lasgo or Guetta. But stuff like Svenson & Gielen / Ferry Corsten / Paul Okenfold / Sasha + John Digweed would seem mainstream to me. And of course Tiesto.

Haven't listened to any of them in many years, are they all still around?

Really, you've never heard of David Guetta? "Love Don't Let Me Go" was played everywhere around here last year (hell, I've even heard some of your typical irish pub cover bands do a rock cover of the song!), and his song with Kelly Rowland is now in the process of being caned to hell and back. I have a feeling he is gonna be the one who wins the
meaningless
DJ mag poll this year, sadly. I don't like the guy, he is a total douche, regardless of the quality of his songs... but still shocked you've never heard of him, especially since you mention Svenson and Gielen and Sasha and Digweed, who aren't nearly as well known.

As for the question, I am currently listening to a Sasha mix dated Aug 2009 so he's definitely still around, saw Ferry spin last week @ Electric Zoo, and Tiesto's new artist album, Kaleidoscope, will be dropping very soon, so yeah all those artists are still around. Actually not too sure about Svenson and Gielen, not sure if they have been up to anything.

"It seemed you tried using a witty comment to devalue any criticism of the tracklist."

I'd suggest you stop reading more into posts than what is actually there.

"Of course there are DJ's that play poppy stuff. But why limit yourself to that when you're making a DJ game, it doesn't make any sense. Like a mainstream gamer is going to care whether there are 7 BEP songs or 4. Those 3 open spots could then be filled with some EDM for example to attract more players."

It's not like the tracklist has been completely revealed or that it's completely devoid of any EDM (Noisia). Even so, it's pretty obvious what direction they're going, who they're targeting, and what image of "DJ" they want to use. Saying things like it should be called "Pop Hero" because they're going with a different image outside of some narrowminded folks' idea of what a DJ is seems pretty silly to me. It really is no different from guitarists and Guitar Hero.

Gunstar

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
I'd suggest you stop reading more into posts than what is actually there.

Fair enough. Let's try that from now on.

Teknopathetic said:
It's not like the tracklist has been completely revealed or that it's completely devoid of any EDM (Noisia). Even so, it's pretty obvious what direction they're going and who they're targeting and what image of "DJ" they want to use. Saying things like it should be called "Pop Hero" because they're going with a different image outside of some narrowminded folks' idea of what a DJ is seems pretty silly to me. It really is no different from guitarists and Guitar Hero.

First of all, I'm not saying it should be called Pop Hero. And even if I would have that idea it really wouldn't be that narrow-minded when the vast majority of the world's most popular DJ's wouldn't touch most of this shit with a ten-foot pole.

Also, is your quote button broken or something? o_O

shuri

Banned
I can assure you that if we listening to electronic music snobs that wanted their flavor of the week dubstep track in Dj Hero, the game would BOMB dramatically. This game needs mainstream tracks to survive. You guys think guitar hero 1 would had sold anything if it had been filled with obscure norvegian metal bands?

First of all, I'm not saying it should be called Pop Hero. And even if I would have that idea it really wouldn't be that narrow-minded when the vast majority of the world's most popular DJ's wouldn't touch most of this shit with a ten-foot pole.
GrandMaster Flash, Dj Shadow, Daft Punk and others are featured in the game. Moneyhats or not, if the game had no value, none of these people would be into this game at ALL.

Gunstar

Banned
shuri said:
I can assure you that if we listening to electronic music snobs that wanted their flavor of the week dubstep track in Dj Hero, the game would BOMB dramatically. This game needs mainstream tracks to survive. You guys think guitar hero 1 would had sold anything if it had been filled with obscure norvegian metal bands?

Wow, thanks for not even trying to read the thread. Posters have been naming very much mainstream EDM artists this whole page.

Phthisis said:

I'm sure they'll give at least some Tiesto and Okenfold for DLC. Most likely others as well... Maybe not straight after launch, but I bet/hope they'll come.

Top Bottom