• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG has #1 peak population on Steam beating out Dota 2 & CSGO

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So... What are the breaking news here? The game is an unstoppable money maker and streamer paradise land.

It doesn't surprise anybody.

GAF has "New news, new thread" policy, which means that users are encouraged to create a new thread when there's a notable update to an existing topic. A non-Valve game dethroning Dota 2 as the most-played game on Steam by concurrent users is one such example. That's why this (dupe) thread exists even though there's a recent thread regarding the milestone of 800k+ concurrent players.

Was just a matter of time. Is there a reason for Dota 2 not gaining more through the years ?

When I started pubg I didn't have most other players telling me to kill myself or get cancer, so that was nice.

But is it GotY material

20b.gif

In my opinion, excluding goty awards for best multiplayer experience or best team game or something, no. Like, it's great and I've put over 100 hours into it, but it's still flawed and doesn't have a particularly unique story, world or characters to work off.

RoKKeR

Some weirdly salty people in here about an undeniably impressive accomplishment.

Nothing seems to stop this game. Can't wait to give it a shot on Xbox later this year.

Stygr

Banned
That's impressive as a Dota 2 and PUBG player this is a good news for the PUBG side, let's see what's next.

Usobuko

Banned
Why would Valve buyout the studio? Valve won't want to compete with Tencent in any kind of monetary investment into the studio that made PBUG.

Mory Dunz

Well numbers-wise there are more PS4 players on GAF than anything else, so a game that can't be played on it won't win GOTY.

uh, unless Mario and Zelda mess each other up, it'll be one of those two. Bayo2 already won. So your point is wrong

next year will probably be RDR2 or GoW though (is TLOU2 2018)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
30% without investing any money is potentially better than 100% while investing.

They don't have to do anything and get to watch the money flow in.

We are talking about Valve here. The company that hired Icefrog as soon as the beta for League of Legends dropped. PUBG is not an MMO so im expecting Valve to do something here. Theres too much money to be made.

Bluth54

100% is more than 30%. My guess is that Valve is going to either make their own or just buy out the developer.

Valve tried buying Turtle Rock and that didn't end up working out, I don't really see them buying another studio.

I don't know why you would think Valve would want to make their own battle arena type game. Given everything they're working on I doubt they have the man power and I doubt Source 2 is designed for open world type maps. Sometimes a platform holder just needs to be happy when their partner's game does better than their games (and enjoy the money they make off said game).

Look at that chart, it is still in accelerated growth. It hasnt even shown an inflection down. The ceiling for this will be much, much higher.

JDB

Banned
There is reason why I have 100% muted in-game VOIP.
You could do the same with text chat. I don't think the inevitable assholes who spam it with nonsense are reason enough to not have it at all. I think it'd be a nice addition.

aeolist

Banned
You could do the same with text chat. I don't think the inevitable assholes who spam it with nonsense are reason enough to not have it at all. I think it'd be a nice addition.

overwatch is the only pc shooter i can think of that lets me turn off text chat. most games don't have the option.

jiggles

Banned
And Valve just added this to the Dota 2 website.

CGtUe3s.png

Dota 2 averages ~550k at any time Vs PUBG's ~350k.
Dota 2's all-time peak is over 1.2M concurrent.

While PUBG is hitting higher spikes than any other game on Steam right now, it still has some way to go to take the crown from Dota 2 to be the most popular game on the platform.

Trickster

Some weirdly salty people in here about an undeniably impressive accomplishment.

Nothing seems to stop this game. Can't wait to give it a shot on Xbox later this year.

I don't mind the threads for it beating CS and Dota 2.

But I must admit I'm a bit tired of seeing threads for it on what feels like a daily basis.

Game is popular and is selling like absolute crazy, I get it at this point.

Top Bottom