• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 18th Birthday Dreamcast!

ApharmdX

Banned
Man the DC was fantastic. I got mine with Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur. Some of my fondest gaming memories in my life.

Seeing games with that kind of image quality/resolution was still mind blowing coming off the back of N64 and Playstation. Just felt like more than a generational leap at the time. Soul Calibur and NFL 2K were jaw droppers.

Yes. I still maintain that the leap from Saturn/PS1/N64 to Dreamcast visually was the largest of any console generation. DC was the first console to provide 3D games with quality textures and texture filtering.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
giphy.gif

Happy birthday, my old friend. I remember getting one launch year in the states and playing the shit out of SC1, DOA2, Sonic Adventure ect and fucking with the web browser CD you got in order to play online through my shitty 56k modem connection.

Its hard to believe that people born the year it came out are now old enough to get a drivers license. i feel old as fuck

shenmue and jsr were legit a decade before their time. chu chu rocket, Sega swirl, soulcalibur, definitive versions of THPS 1 + 2, MVC2, PSO, Sonic adventures, crazy taxi, ikaruga, Rez.. this system legit owned.

End of the day it was dead on arrival, because due to the f'k ups by Sega between 1992-1998 put paid to the chances of Dreamcast being able to fight the fight....the minute Sega knew that the PS2 was going to hammer them yet again, they quickly shut up shop and come 2001 left the way open for Sony to duke it out with Microsoft and Nintendo.....had they not had been so dysfunctional throughout most of the 90's then who knows they may still have been in the hardware game....... and we may have seen the TRUE successor to the Dreamcast.

Kinda hard to say it was "DOA" when in fact it actually broke sales records at the time of its 9/9/99 western release. It had a really good run up until PS2 was released and then quickly faded into obscurity.

giphy.gif

Happy birthday, my old friend. I remember getting one launch year in the states and playing the shit out of SC1, DOA2, Sonic Adventure ect and fucking with the web browser CD you got in order to play online through my shitty 56k modem connection.

Its hard to believe that people born the year it came out are now old enough to drink. i feel old as fuck

In North America you have to be 21 to drink.

Durden77

My friend had a Dreamcast, I didn't. I was obsessed with Jet GRIIIINNDD (lol) Radio and Sonic Adventure everytime I played it at his house.

His family were close family friends. So one day, I arranged to be sick at school at a time where the only person that could pick me up was his mom. Once she got me back to their house, I asked "if I start feeling better, can I play Dreamcast?". She rolled her eyes and said sure.

I then had it all to myself (he was still at school) and played it the entire day to by lying in a calculated fashion to my family and friends.

It was awesome.

Fou-Lu

I will never forget the morning my dad came home from a business trip with a Dreamcast, Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur. My brother and I had been up early watching saturday morning cartoons, we never really knew when my dad would get home because he liked to surprise us and he always brought some kind of gift (I got my GBA and Majora's Mask the same way). Suddenly there he is, at the door, Dreamcast box in his hands and a big tired smile on his face. Unfortunately our Sonic Adventure disc stopped working after a few hours of play (and never worked again), but Soul Calibur kept us entertained for weeks. My other highlights of the system were Jet Set Radio, Cannon Spike, Power Stone, Sega Marine Fishing with that fishing rod controller, Grandia II, my first online game in Phantasy Star Online, Shen-fucking-mue.... I could go on and on.

Z_Y

Soul Calibur
NBA2K
NFL2K
DOA2
Ready2Rumble Boxing
PSO
Crazy Taxi
JSR
Quake
And many more

I had a lot of good memories with my Dreamcast. I still am a little salty over EA not supporting it.

frontovik

Banned
The Dreamcast was the first console I invested substantial time into..

Still have fond memories of Power Stone 2, Code Veronica, and Shenmue.

bionic77

The DC felt like it was only around for a year and a half but damn that was a fun ride.

On one hand it fucking sucks that Sega is barely around. On the other hand it's awesome that they went out in top.

Smokey

Will never forget that first time seeing Soul Calibur and NFL 2k for the first time.

Seganet. VGA Adapter. Broadband Adapter. Keyboard. VMU. System was so far ahead of its time.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I had a lot of good memories with my Dreamcast. I still am a little salty over EA not supporting it.
I'm salty that so many people apparently considered it a dealbreaker. I guess I sorta understand the sentiment in the EU, where Sega didn't really have a non-arcadey counterpart to the FIFA juggernaut (rather odd they didn't concentrate more effort there, considering the DC logo was emblazoned on one footy team's kits at the time), but otherwise all the 2K stuff handily upstaged the EA Sports stuff of the PS1 era.

EA's non-sports games of the time were mostly inconsequential apart from maybe the Medal of Honor games, which ain't exactly well-remembered nowadays.

Looking back on it, I'm really not sure why EA was considered such a big loss. "But no EA games" was essentially the "But her emails" of the time. Only a big deal because people kept repeating it, not because it was actually a substantive, crippling issue.

Still one of my fav all-time consoles.

MVC2, Project Justice, Soldier of Fortune, Capcom Vs SNK, Soul Calibur, Shenmue, Evolution, Dynamite Cop, Phantasy Star Online, House of the Dead 2, MDK. I sunk so many hrs into those games. Dreamcast was incredible.

Grisby

It was a great system. Surprise hit for me on the system was that Gundam first person game. Hard as hell but a lot of fun.

Also, my friends were blown the hell away by Code Veronica. Man, good times.

Mugy

Some doubts here:

Would you buy a Dreamcast right now? for a price around 30$

Im interested im looking for visual improvement for the system. How are the VGA Box o VGA Cable as options? what is the best?

Its possible to extend the life-spawn of the system? Maybe loading the GDRoms via SD card or something? I had 3 dreamcast in my life and all three stop reading disc. So i want to avoid the problem of fixing them.

Some doubts here:

Would you buy a Dreamcast right now? for a price around 30$

Im interested im looking for visual improvement for the system. How are the VGA Box o VGA Cable as options? what is the best?

Its possible to extend the life-spawn of the system? Maybe loading the GDRoms via SD card or something? I had 3 dreamcast in my life and all three stop reading disc. So i want to avoid the problem of fixing them.

Regarding VGA on the Dreamcast not every game is compatible, so you'd want a box which also has inputs for RGB Scart or S-Video. You should also make sure to buy one of the Beharbros boxes as 99% of the unofficial ones on the market have an issue with ugly jailbar lines being visible.

There are multiple methods for playing games on the system without using the original discs, but the best one (GD EMU) is also ridiculously expensive. You could go the route of getting a Rev 0 Dreamcast as they have a better disc drive, if you get one without too much mileage on the clock it'll be solid. Make sure whatever you do, don't get a Rev 2 Dreamcast. Using burned CDs shortens the lifespan of the drive so avoid those if you go this route.

Coxy100

Banned
My favourite console of all time. With some of my favourite games

Shenmue...crazy taxi...virtual tennis and soul calibur were my top tier

TheFuzz

I'm thinking of grabbing one of these. Any recommendations for games other than all the good fighting ones? Also, any recommendations for hooking it to an hdtv? Is vga the best?

The Playstation 2 became my favorite console that gen, but the Dreamcast holds many many amazing memories.

It shouldn't have died the way it did.

Z_Y

I'm salty that so many people apparently considered it a dealbreaker. I guess I sorta understand the sentiment in the EU, where Sega didn't really have a non-arcadey counterpart to the FIFA juggernaut (rather odd they didn't concentrate more effort there, considering the DC logo was emblazoned on one footy team's kits at the time), but otherwise all the 2K stuff handily upstaged the EA Sports stuff of the PS1 era.

EA's non-sports games of the time were mostly inconsequential apart from maybe the Medal of Honor games, which ain't exactly well-remembered nowadays.

Looking back on it, I'm really not sure why EA was considered such a big loss. "But no EA games" was essentially the "But her emails" of the time. Only a big deal because people kept repeating it, not because it was actually a substantive, crippling issue.

Late response, sorry.

I totally agree with you in that the 2K sports games outclassed EA. But EA was a pretty big deal back then and Madden was even bigger. This was the biggest 3rd party developer dismissing hardware and backing its competitor. It would be a huge advantage today. It was bigger back then.

Hindsight is 20/20 though. 2K (Visual Concepts) has proven that they can compete with EA in the sports game department. But back then, they were an unknown. I still remember the PS2 launch and coming home with Madden. This was after months of playing NFL2K. Boy that was super disappointing.

I just feel like Sega got a raw deal with EA not supporting it. More people could have been exposed to the 2K games earlier...and maybe that could have extended the DC's life. That's all.

I remember standing in line all night at Target for a launch PS2 and talking to fellow gamers about how much I loved the DC.

What shocked me was that literally none of the people I spoke to in that line owned one.

It was sadly revelatory and demonstrated just how powerful branding and mindshare can be.

The DC was a wonderful system and how I wished it had enjoyed a longer lifespan.

I have such a special bond with this console that it will never not be my favorite of all time in my heart.

Happy birthday you glorious console.

I'll never forget going to Toys'R'Us and getting to play the Dreamcast demos. I remember playing Sonic and just being blown away at the graphics. I wanted one SO BADLY!

Unfortunately I didn't get it until I found one at a Goodwill years later. Still works and I absolutely love the VMU (something like this should make a comeback, imo). Dreamcast is probably one of my favorite things I own!

Hilarion

The Dreamcast has a great library, and I've since played every Dreamcast title that's been released to Steam (nearly a dozen of them) as well as several other ones with ports elsewhere like Samba de Amigo. Fantastic, strong library full of unique personality. I first played Jet Set Radio about 3 years ago on Steam and absolutely loved it.

I have a feeling that one of these days the Wii U will be remembered a lot like the Dreamcast. Wii U is one of, if not my absolute favorite home consoles of all time, but no one gave a shit about it except as a subject for mockery. I have a feeling its reputation will skyrocket in the afterlife.

FreeMufasa

Random Q but does anyone have a list of dream cast platformers? Both 2D and 3D. Can't seem to remember any outside the sonic games

nelo_inc

Great console, so many memories and i still have mine connected via VGA to my PC monitor!

Now to see if it still works..

Mugy

Random Q but does anyone have a list of dream cast platformers? Both 2D and 3D. Can't seem to remember any outside the sonic games

Rayman 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Super Magnetic Neo

And various ports of Disney platformers not exactly good.

Still talking about Dreamcast, i remember what impressed me the most was how clean the graphics looked back in the day for somebody like me who was coming from Playstation. I remember i hated Rayman 2 and South Park Rally in PSX, but when i played then in Dreamcast was a whole different experience. So good man

Top Bottom