• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft owns the phrase 'Story Mode'?

OldMuffin

Ha this is funny since they seem to moving away from narrative type experiences... though as mentioned before probably from minecraft.

s_mirage

WTF? Games have used the term story mode for decades prior to the Minecraft use of it, and are still using it. Surely this is a specious claim.

Actually Telltale has a currently pending application for the trademark for Story Mode for use with video games.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to have been granted yet if I'm reading this correctly:

"A final Office action refusing registration has been sent (issued) because the applicant neither satisfied nor overcame all requirements and/or refusals previously raised. The applicant may respond by filing (1) a request for reconsideration; and/or (2) an appeal to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board."

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Flack incoming
tenor.gif

L~A

WTF? Games have used the term story mode for decades prior to the Minecraft use of it, and are still using it. Surely this is a specious claim.

Which means it's guaranteed to be granted, because that's how f*cked up the whole copyright and trademark system is nowadays.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to have been granted yet if I'm reading this correctly:

"A final Office action refusing registration has been sent (issued) because the applicant neither satisfied nor overcame all requirements and/or refusals previously raised. The applicant may respond by filing (1) a request for reconsideration; and/or (2) an appeal to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board."

Yes, that's why I said there are no registrations.

Microsoft as no application for Story Mode at all.

As an FYI, that Office Action is refusing registration of the mark on the ground that it is "Merely Descriptive" i.e. it only describes the goods or services, and not the source of those goods or services. So, the USPTO agrees with those in this thread who say that "Story Mode" describe a mode in a game that has a story, and is such cannot be claimed as a trademark.

s_mirage

Which means it's guaranteed to be granted, because that's how f*cked up the whole copyright and trademark system is nowadays.

It doesn't look like it is being at present. As far as I can tell, the trademark hasn't been granted yet precisely because the term "Story Mode" is a descriptive term that is commonly used in games.

Top Bottom