• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Did anyone just witness Dom trying to sell that card filled to the brim with complete Joes?

Ama....Amirakhan....you just can't miss this card.

lol

Lol yep he was trying his best, but even he seemed pretty eh about it

Right person won.

It's very rare for someone to take the belt from a champ with a very passive point fighting approach.

Doesn't help that he almost got finished.

You gotta take it from the champ.

Very true. Typically in very close fights / rounds judges give it to the champs. The idea you have to "Take it from the Champ" is long standing in combat sports. Its one reason I'm not sure why sometimes challengers come in incredibly risk averse. I mean I get it you don't want to get finished but if you are the challenger you have to be willing to take risks

Jetman

Just thinking on rounds alone he won three.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Woodley looked scared every round except two of them. Thought Thompson landed more strikes (what little there were) in those 3 rounds as well.
Even if it wasn't a "good" fight and was boring Thompson should have won more rounds.

Horrible end to 209.

210 will be better.

The main event could still be bad. It'll really depend on how much Rumble's take down defense and ground game have improved since their first fight. Because Cormier has no problem lying on top of him until Rumble gasses which makes him easy to sub. Rumble really has to stay on his feet to have a shot.

Levito

Banned
2017 has seriously been such a shit year for MMA thus far. Chael/Tito shitshow, 208 the worst PPV in like 5 years, and now the worst title fight in modern MMA history. Fuck man I'm getting tired of this.

Has there ever been a bigger drop in quality from one match to the rematch?

Definitely not. Usually rematches after brutal wars end with someone getting finished.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Thompson "won", but what a shit fight. I'd be okay with never seeing another rematch again.

And honestly it would be laughable to see the guy who almost got ko'd be handed the belt for that performance. I'm sure even Dana gave a sigh of relief.

Chumley

Banned
Have to say my prediction that this rematch was going to be way more explosive than the last fight was so wrong. Understanding eachother's gameplan just made them both more tentative.

Tyron being so cautious definitely made no sense though since he had so much success taking him down and being aggressive last time.

Is there a metric for this?

Nope and not saying I agree with it, but its been proven time and time again with judging in both MMA and boxing. Many judges feel you have to really go in there and put it on the champ to take the belt. It may not be fair but its the way many judge fights.

BTW anyone see how disgusted Dana looked putting the belt on Woodley?

I tend to agree the challenger needs to take the belt from the champ, and that's pretty much been an unspoken rule in combat sports since the beginning.

Woodley and Thompson just showed way too much respect for each other.

I'll give Woodley this, he isn't making any excuses at all on the post fight show. He seems to know it was really boring and didn't use any injury excuses or anything

I think they'll give Woodley one more shot at putting on a good show as a headliner (maybe co-headliner) during a numbered UFC. He'll get that shot because he has knockout potential. But if he puts on another shit show then he'll be joining Mighty Mouse in being a champ that's relegated to doing Fight Night's and Ultimate Fighter finale's.

Whoa Dana just revealed Overeem has been in the hospital the past 24 hours with horrible food poisoning puking like a mad man and refused to pull out of the fight.

Respect dude

Chesskid1

Banned
is tony getting paid?

i know khabib will get nothing, even though he spent a ton on camp, etc (i know he is probably rich, but just saying)

28fe7a943eb5e6fd45ffa6749b8568b0.png

Heel

The fight could've been saved if Khabib didn't go to that crazy hospital that gives you fluids when you're dehydrated.

Dana is something else.

Khabib ain't big but he swells up too much between camps. He needs a better diet and lose mass as well, obviously.

And not having tiramisu so often would help.

I don't like Alistair's chances against Ngannou, but I didn't exactly like them against Hunt either, so whatever. Make it happen when Ngannou is ready.

Even when he fights he still looks kinda doughie.

He probably has a high % of body fat, which definitely makes weight cutting very difficult. The more muscular fighters tend to have an easier time cutting because muscles store a lot of water and glycogen. That's how dudes like Woodley, who by his own word walks around at 205, can make 170 come fight week without too many issues.

pixelation

He probably has a high % of body fat, which definitely makes weight cutting very difficult. The more muscular fighters tend to have an easier time cutting because muscles store a lot of water and glycogen. That's how dudes like Woodley, who by his own word walks around at 205, can make 170 come fight week without too many issues.
Certainly looks like it.

Thompson saying getting punched in the face don't feel good, well of course it doesn't but if you fear it that much maybe don't be a fighter?

Thompson saying getting punched in the face don't feel good, well of course it doesn't but if you fear it that much maybe don't be a fighter?

Bruh, it's time to stop posting.

The fuck is it with MMA fans that they think they're tougher than the dudes fighting? Fighters ain't pussy just because they don't like taking punishment. Especially not from 200+ dudes that hit like a goddamn truck with little wind up.

Top Bottom