• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI Demo (non-crappy Gamescom camera edition)

FranXico

In case anyone is wondering KZ3 let you do this on the PS3 straight from the XMB. Looks like it's system wide this time with PS4.

I'm skeptical on it booting up the game and joining a server that fast though. Seems impossible unless there is some sort of Cerny magic going on.

Why is it so hard to believe? Didn't some games do this on the 360 AFAIK?

WillyFive

Then we're not talking about the same thing.

I'm talking design. Its still a messy looking disjointed UI. You can bag the Xbox dash for its ads, or the difficulty you have finding stuff, but at least it looks great from a design point of view and there's a consistent theme.

This is frankenUI

Exactly what I was thinking. The lagginess and messy animations distract too.

I have no idea.

Maybe KZ was already booted on the console and Yoshida was just browsing the "XMB" in game. That way all that it is doing when he clicks join is it connects to the server and closes the XMB and brings him back to the game. Just a guess.

This is what I think is the case. There's no way its actually that fast.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
XMB 2.0 I like it.

even better without a drunk camera man.

I also like that yosp looks like he's just about as bad as I am at FPS

fallagin

It's genuinely hilarious how he's just walking around in the midst of like 6 enemies with no problems. I wonder how they coordinated that.

Design-wise I like what was shown today a bit more than what I had imagined the ui would be like from those screens a while back. That said, I noticed quite a bit of lag. Hope that gets cleared up. I want the main ui to be super smooth. If phones can do it, surely a console can.

VanWinkle

Exactly what I was thinking. The lagginess and messy animations distract too.

It obviously still needs a little polish, but at least it was a legitimate live demo unlike Microsoft's stuff they've done. I'm sure they have some lagginess and choppy animations too right now.

Deitus

It's genuinely hilarious how he's just walking around in the midst of like 6 enemies with no problems. I wonder how they coordinated that.

Seems pretty easy. "For the love of god, nobody shoot Shu!"

I can't say I'm particularly surprised that Yoshida doesn't seem to be very good at shooters. But Killzone is their premier title for launch, so it makes sense that he would be demoing that.

All in all, it looked pretty snappy. Improved XMB functionality should improve navigation, but if loading times are really that quick, that's reason enough to be excited about next gen. The fact that there was any downtime at all gives me reason to believe that there was no UI fakery going on there like we've seen in similar demos before. It seems insane how quick that is, but I want to believe.

Bsigg12

So I'm assuming the instant join will only work with digital versions then right? If you have the physical copy, you would still have to change discs if its a game you don't have sitting in the system. Nothing wrong with that though.

Flipyap

Then we're not talking about the same thing.

I'm talking design. Its still a messy looking disjointed UI. You can bag the Xbox dash for its ads, or the difficulty you have finding stuff, but at least it looks great from a design point of view and there's a consistent theme.

This is frankenUI
I think it's actually fairly cohesive, enough to be inoffensive (metro, on the other hand, is visually cohesive to a fault because it sticks with those huge tiles and split screens even when they're not at all appropriate), it just looks very dated in places - it uses many design holdovers dating back to the PS2.

Plus, it's not actually XMB, it just lets you focus on the top row of system shortcuts and notifications, separating them from the software area:

J77Ey0M.jpg

It probably only looks as jarring as it does because it recycles a familiar layout and icons.
Personally, I have a bigger issue with all those goshdarned gradients.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The beginning was definitely one of my favorites moments of the conference. Simple but elegant.

ugh the crappy xmb is there.

Not a surprising comment coming from you, mate.

Damn. One would say that after getting called out like that one would stop posting that kind of things!

"No one shoot Shu, NO ONE SHOOT SHU!"

Haha, they probably gave him unlimited life. I'm sure that part where he took the photo would have been a definite death in a full game!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
We know that demonstration was final running off hardware as opposed to faked?

I would assume it is close to final since it did have some load-in issues.

I think it's actually fairly cohesive, enough to be inoffensive (metro, on the other hand, is visually cohesive to a fault because it sticks with those huge tiles and split screens even when they're not at all appropriate), it just looks very dated in places - it uses many design holdovers dating back to the PS2.

Plus, it's not actually XMB, it just lets you focus on the top row of system shortcuts and notifications, separating them from the software area:

It probably only looks as jarring as it does because it recycles a familiar layout and icons.
Personally, I have a bigger issue with all those goshdarned gradients.

That is an old image of the UI.

Today:

p2BdH7C.png

looks pretty awesome, at the reveal i was worried that ui would look like the ps store is know it had that all in one square feel to it at first im soo happy the xmb evolved.

I love how you can watch a match that is going on right then an there and then just 'Join'. Of any game that you might own.

I must admit I haven't followed a lot of details about the PS4, does it allow you to install hard drive and not change discs? If so, dream come true.

I probably won't get one a launch, but after the first price drop.

^ you will be able to upgrade your hdd?

all titles are day one downloads along with the physical copy, im thinking about going all digital too but i have lot of friends we agreed to buy different games.

PSN as a whole is linked to the UI. The game UI is called Live Tiles because they are dynamic akin to Windows 8 Live tile. They can show realtime game scores and infos as they happen in game, shared videos, screenshots and other things related to that specific game. The tiles are created using HTML5 and CSS/Javascript and they can feature animations and audio, each developer has to create one for their game like PS Vita Live Area. You can launch a specific event in game from the live tile just like how you can join multiplayer games from friends profile or from streaming games without having to boot the game and going through in game UI.

Any idea how the actual available purchasable content will be integrated in the UI? Or will it even be integrated or will it be like the PSN store on the PS3?

I don't want to launch a whole different app to acces my PSN content.

Nags

Banned
I am confident Sony's approach to speed and efficiency for this coming gen.

Just really puts in perspective how old our current gen machines are when smart phones are outpacing them as far as launching apps and basic navigation. And that touch panel on the DS4 feels like butter. Can only imagine how great it will make navigating through the new XMB.

FranXico

^ you will be able to upgrade your hdd?

all titles are day one downloads along with the physical copy, im thinking about going all digital too but i have lot of friends we agreed to buy different games.

My 1TB HDD inside my PS3 will be moving to my PS4 when I upgrade.

sun-drop

serriously that live video spectator mode to spawning in the freaking game in under 6 seconds looked too good to be true.

hell booting a game that quick period is impressive ... let alone right into a match.

if thats legit .... every one here should be creaming themselves ....

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
How does a demonstration "not loom real"?

Purely based on speed? Everything shown is how both UIs will work.

Sure it shows what they are aiming for, but to see it in action usually alleviates fears. That is why I would love to see a more recent XBO UI demonstration, especially after that IGN video.

androvsky

I love how you can watch a match that is going on right then an there and then just 'Join'. Of any game that you might own.

I must admit I haven't followed a lot of details about the PS4, does it allow you to install hard drive and not change discs? If so, dream come true.

Nope, they would need to add some unpleasant form of DRM to allow that without massive piracy. However, every game is supposed to be available on the PSN store, so if that's more important to you than physical discs go for it.

PS4 installs to the hard drive, but in the background to speed up loading, not as a user option. So for retail games you'll need to swap discs (just as One does now). But for your current game, or for any game you bought digitally, the read speed off the hard drive might make superfast "join game" possible.

I don't really expect as fast as shown here, though.

Two questions:

So there is no PS+ icon next to your avatar to show everyone that you're part of the master race?

Also, is Twitch not at OS level for spectating? Is it just Ustream?

xJavonta

Banned
Not seeing the XMB resemblance. This is actually really nice and not shitty like the XMB.

Put this on my Vita and I'll be a happy fucker.

bankster

Banned
The UI looks fast, responsive and intuitive. Maybe it could have a little bit more of a character, but other than that, everything looks great!

Raymo

I'm 90% sure the text entry today was done using the motion sensors and a cursor. I see a lot of people claiming he used the touch pad, which is incorrect. I know this because the kid in the first PS4 UI video typed using the same method. They must have found that it's faster once you master it.

Top Bottom