• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze's Syndicate - New Info And Screenshots Leaked

charsace

I think its sad that a game that has guns will most likely end up being first person. Couldn't they have at least made this a third person game?

bangai-o

Banned
Radogol said:
Apparently, YT videos don't show game mechanics as well as you seem to imply they do, since Syndicate is 100% real time. No idea where you got the turn-based idea from.
I didnt even look up anything about the damn game. Just going with the flow of the thread. Call of Duty 4 lyfe.

HolyTaco

I don't think it's a perspective issue. If they echo'd a similar game structure as the previous 2 Syndicate game's I would be more interested.

My first thought was they should've at least put you in the shoes of a faceless corporation and have you making decisions on how to upgrade your equally faceless cyborgs and where to deploy them then have you take control of the team leader in a first person perspective. Sure character development is hard in game's like this as there shouldn't really be any, instead you've got to create a world with character and atmosphere that draws you back in, here they're beating the already well beaten path of a single main protagonist embarking on his epic, visceral journey of revenge and redemption. No big problem with this, I recently LOVED Deus Ex HR which followed the same structure, but I would've been happy to see something at least trying, just a little, to echo how the original Syndicate played.

Satchel

Banned
I love shooters and even I'm disappointed they made this into an FPS.

Could have been so much more. Loved the original Syndicate.

BiggNife said:
I'm honestly surprised people thought the reboot wasn't going to be an fps

I'm more worried about the fact that Starbreeze isn't Starbreeze anymore. I didn't know about that until reading this thread so it's kinda disheartening. :(

Also Richard K Morgan writing the plot isn't necessarily a good thing. He wrote the plot to Crysis 2 and it was borderline incoherent. Being a good novel writer does not necessarily translate to a good game writer.

Post is so depressing but true ...especially the last part =(

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
AgentOtaku said:
Post is so depressing but true ...especially the last part =(

I hope all his original plot for Crysis 2 was rewritten by somebody else, it happens on big projects. I just finished "13/Black Man" and still can't get my head around the fact that this guy had something to do with one of the worst written games ever.

omnomis said:
God this article is so many pages, but I must read it all considering my status in this thread of "OH IT'LL BE GREAT, IT'S STARBREEZE YO". I have a feeling it will get more and more depressing with each paragraph.

it does, its basically a new team entirely.

AkIRA_22

Did anyone actually believe that EA and Star Breeze would be working on a top down squad action shooter/RPG? get your fucking heads checked, this game has been in development for years, there is no way they would make such a game with that budget. We all loved the original but that was nearly 20 years ago. Deal with it, if every game and franchise didn't tread new ground we would still be playing text adventures.

I can't wait for this game. Yes it is an FPS and there are dozens of them these days, however had they made this game an isometric shooter it would have failed. We can only hope this will be one of the best, one that grabs our attention and is enjoyable.

Acosta said:
It´s pretty awesome.

Have I said this game is trash? Yes, I think I did.

BTW, this is Syndicate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IOga7pFkKY

Do you see the visceral FPS experience? No? THAT'S BECAUSE IT'S NOT A FUCKING FPS!

If they don't respect what Syndicate is, I don't respect their game.

Dude you are getting pretty angry but you know next to nothing about the game. I loved Syndicate too but you already hate the game before its even close to being released.

Deus Ex was a cyberpunk FPS in a way and it is excellent - if Syndicate plays like that i wont be dissapointed.

All you hope is that they dont do to Syndicate what they did to Shadowrun. i would wait before flying off the handle.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
charsace said:
I think its sad that a game that has guns will most likely end up being first person. Couldn't they have at least made this a third person game?
What would be the difference?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Hello, gamers,
look at your memories,
now back to me,
now back at your memories,
now back to me.
Sadly, you aren’t getting your memories,
but if you stopped buying pointless FPS games and switched to bold choice,
we could consider a game like your memories.

Look down, back up, where are you?
You’re stuck in the 80's/90s pretending other people want to play games that are like your memories.
What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it,
it’s an old franchise of that game thing you love.
Look again, the franchise is now dogshit.

Anything is possible when your games companies smell like dogsballs and follows the tired old formula
I'm not on your 3DOs
<whistle>

(game might be great, i like Starbreeze - as stated previous, just sad that we aren't getting a syndicate style syndicate but the reasons for the direction switch are fairly obvious)

All you hope is that they dont do to Syndicate what they did to Shadowrun.

Interestingly enough, once the shelf tipping rage festival ended and i picked up Shadowrun for the equivalent of $15 i was overjoyed to find an extremely good but ultimately option/map limited FPS game.

Syndicate might be fine - could be a 4 player mission based coop FPS with similar themes and GTA style open world ideas. Again, we just don't know yet - just need the "awww" feeling of it not being what was expected to die down.

For those who are disappointed in the switch to FPS, you might want to keep an eye out on Paradox Interactive. They've said that they are working on a spiritual successor to the original Syndicate in terms of gameplay.

AkIRA_22

crimsonheadGCN said:
For those who are disappointed in the switch to FPS, you might want to keep an eye out on Paradox Interactive. They've said that they are working on a spiritual successor to the original Syndicate in terms of gameplay.

I was thinking that the "Syndicate" style is a game people would play, and why hasn't anyone done it since? This is good news.

Lakitu

st5fu
subversus said:
I hope all his original plot for Crysis 2 was rewritten by somebody else, it happens on big projects. I just finished "13/Black Man" and still can't get my head around the fact that this guy had something to do with one of the worst written games ever.

To be fair, writing a game is far different to writing a book. And considering Crysis 2 is his first time, maybe he's trying to get the hang of it? At least, I hope so.

Fjordson

Neuromancer said:
A cyperpunk GTA style game actually sounds great to me.
Dude, yes. Been my dream game since forever.

Totally reminded me about that. What happened to the open-world idea? Could have been awesome.
Lakitu said:
To be fair, writing a game is far different to writing a book. And considering Crysis 2 is his first time, maybe he's trying to get the hang of it? At least, I hope so.
Definitely a fair point. I sure as hell couldn't do it. Writing something interesting and at the same time accounting for gameplay and whatnot seems tough.

Most of my extreme disappointment with his Crysis 2 work stems from my adoration for Altered Carbon. Love that book so much. Unfair comparison I know, but damn.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lakitu said:
Prey 2 will be as close to an open-world Cyberpunk game we're going to get this generation.
Meh. I could see Rockstar making a Blade Runner game especially with the new one being directed by Ridley Scott.

HolyTaco

omnomis said:
This is also EA, Command & Conquer used to sell not completely out of the stratosphere of their FPS games, but didn't the most recent ones completely bottom out? Not that EA would realize it was because the games were lackluster and not because every gamer in 2011 will only play FPS. They probably think that because they aren't Blizzard, no version of Syndicate they could make as a strategy game would sell over 750,000 units.

How do DoTA and it's clones do like Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends? I've never played one, but they seem to have more in common with what Syndicate was doing than traditional RTS (small squad based game where you focus on select units and upgrade between missions). Just saying it's not like there haven't been successful games recently in more analogous genres to the original Syndicate than FPS. THe problem here is Starbreeze. Their whole strategy seems to be acquire a license - turn it into an FPS. I bet EA are crapping themselves looking at the unfortunate first week sales performance of DX:HR. The whole big budget Cinematic FPS = big money strategy is so off. Then again, Deus Ex HR is really different to the standard shooter formula, maybe that turned people off.

subversus said:

lol!

SimonM7

If there's one distant name that pulls my nostalgia strings that I hope this is reminiscent of, it's Hired Guns.

When Starbreeze was rumoured to be making this I immediately assumed it to be an FPS with at the very least a loose attachment to the four person squad nature of Syndicate, and I pictured a modern Hired Guns. If each player can upgrade and trick himself out to complement the squad and there's a degree of openness to levels that goes beyond simply having people move down corridores with different arsenals, making sure there's benefit to having different characteristics, this could be superb.

Fingers crossed that there's a take on the Persuader in there too. :D

jett

D-Member
1080p pics look nice, although it's kinda funny that video game designers are seemingly incapable of not ripping off Blade Runner when imagining the future.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jett said:
1080p pics look nice, although it's kinda funny that video game designers are seemingly incapable of not ripping off Blade Runner when imagining the future.
To be fair to them though, it's pretty similar to the art for the first games.

937710708-00yz6l.jpg

syndicateehx6f.jpg

syndicatewarscoverps1iztu.jpg

squidyj

Lakitu said:

As I understand it, he came into the project with some portion of it already being completed; a good portion of it

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
antispin said:
If they wanted to go balls-to-the-wall fps, they should have picked Crusader instead.
Yep. I agree with this. I'm excited for the game thanks to Starbreeze's involvement, but I think Crusader would have been a safer bet as it really WAS an action game.

This isn't a wise decision as using the Syndicate name is just going to piss off fans of the series while the new audience won't have a clue what Syndicate was.

.la1n

The old starbreeze team was awesome but if their has been in major shifting then it may be best to ride this one out for a while. If it's more or less the same team then I'm in regardless of them raping my childhood :p

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
crimsonheadGCN said:
B..But the market couldn't possibly support that! Are they mad?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Anyone that is a fan of Resident Evil 4 but is trashing Syndicate is a hypocrite, straight up. Hopefully there's still plenty to enjoy in this game.

bangai-o

Banned
charsace said:
While the Riddick games and The Darkness were in first person, only about 5% of the game uses guns if you decide to play that way.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
ColonialRaptor said:
Seriously? They had to make it an FPS.... come on... something different? I mean... please?
Sorry. The market can only support one camera angle from now on. The thread has spoken.

bangai-o

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
Seriously? They had to make it an FPS.... come on... something different? I mean... please?

Isometric would have been perfect! DAMMIT.
so you read nothing in this thread. basically.

Am I the only who thinks, 4 player co-op FPS, for a game that used to be about 4-man teams blowing shit up, but from an isometric view, isn't maybe the worst idea ever?
I remember Syndicates action parts being about as strategic as Cannon Fodder, that's maybe why I don't get the hate as much.

Don't get me wrong: I hate the flood of FPS as much as the next guy, but this here makes design choice wise, more sense to me than turning Fallout 3 into a freaking FPS.

subversus

DerZuhälter said:
Don't get me wrong: I hate the flood of FPS as much as the next guy, but this here makes design choice wise, more sense to me than turning Fallout 3 into a freaking FPS.

it seems that only me and my friend always wanted Fallout to be FPS and turn Diablo into Rune.

subversus said:
it seems that only me and my friend always wanted Fallout to be FPS and turn Diablo into Rune.

Well being a Jagged Alliance 2 fan, Fallout 3 did cut away my favorite thing about Fallout, the strategic turn-based combat, that was that good that it even got it's own spinoff game:

256px-Fallout_Tactics_Box.jpg

subversus

DerZuhälter said:
Well being a Jagged Alliance 2 fan, Fallout 3 did cut away my favorite thing about Fallout, the strategic turn-based combat, that was that good that it even got it's own spinoff game:

256px-Fallout_Tactics_Box.jpg

back in 90s it was all about graphics for me and my friends. We wanted graphics to be as realistic as possible and games are as complex as it's possible too. We always thought that games were made to emulate reality in entertaining (and not entertaining ways). So all games should have been first-person games with photorealistic graphics, physics, complicated AI and interactive environment. Even Quake as fun as it was was seen as just stepstone to games like Deus Ex (which didn't exist at the moment but we always wanted them to exist).

My friend being primarily FPS player liked Fallout universe and everything except turn-based combat because it looked stupid. He didn't want to even bother with it. I did. But I hated combat and played the game because it was Fallout. There was something magical about the game. I played the shit out of the sequel too. Fallout New Vegas retains some of this magic. I wish graphics were better and there were more crowds too. In the end I was very satisfied with Fallout transfer into FPS. I've never played Syndicate so I'm looking forward to this. So far it looks good. I have never played X-COM too but it doesn't look good at all. If Syndicate turns out to be a linear cinematic shooter like XCOM then I'll be less excited but right now I'm pretty hyped.

Top Bottom