• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony outlines a long term roadmap for Playstation tech: 8K, 300fps, 3D chips and cats

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Coincidentally, saw this on Engadget - Lumus showing wearable see-through glasses at CES (720p), very similar to the ones Sony showed a couple of years back. And looking similarly prototype-ish.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/lumus-see-through-wearable-display-hands-on/

They supply to other manufacturers...but they estimate that this could hit the consumer market in the next couple of years for a few hundred dollars. If that gives any idea where this kind of tech is...

Mr_Zombie

IIRC, before E3 05, Kutaragi did a presentation where he talked about realtime data off the network as being a next step for games - that it would introduce time, 'the 4th dimension' to gaming. E.g. in a racing game, getting up-to-the-minute race results in-game, realtime weather data from the network feeding into track conditions etc. That's all he meant, but the Krazy Ken meme jumped on it :p

I may be wrong, but doesn't the original Black & White have such a feature? IIRC if you were connected to the Internet you could write in your location (zip/postal code) and the in-game weather would mirror the weather outside (based on some weather forecasting webservice I suppose).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I may be wrong, but doesn't the original Black & White have such a feature? IIRC if you were connected to the Internet you could write in your location and the in-game weather would mirror the weather outside (based on some weather forecasting webservice).

Yeah, that was one of the first games I can remember making a feature point of that kind of idea. All Kutaragi thought was that this kind of idea would figure large in 'next gen' games.

Mr_Zombie

Yeah, that was one of the first games I can remember making a feature point of that kind of idea. All Kutaragi thought was that this kind of idea would figure large in 'next gen' games.

To be honest I'm surprised that none of the current-gen games with dynamic weather (e.g. GTA4) use this kind of a feature; setting it up should be rather easy nowadays.

Please make a launch console that doesn't turn into a jet turbine after a year or two, and then die mid-way through your 10 year lifecycle. I would love to own one of your consoles per generation. Now with that, I am much more pissed at Microsoft since I have gone through 4 Xbox 360's compared to 1 PS3 breaking on me, but Sony is taking a very close second by denying that there is a problem with the original run of 60GB playstation 3's having a somewhat high failure rate.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
To be honest I'm surprised that none of the current-gen games with dynamic weather (e.g. GTA4) use this kind of a feature; setting it up should be rather easy nowadays.
Probably because it could be boring and make no sense depending on one's location... You could end up with practically no weather changes for the duration of your play time and have to shelf the game for a couple months or more if you want to see something different... Shenmue using real weather records was cool but Shenmue wasn't the type of game that just goes for "fun" anyway... Though it also had random weather systems by default and the use of records was optional (and perhaps not all encompassing?).

is 300fps a typo?

if by latency they mean the time taken to render a frame, 50ms is 20fps.. You would need 3ms to render at 300fps. I guess 3ms is technically below 50ms, but why mention 50ms at all?

Since you have 2 frames buffered for vsync the latency is edit 2x that, 6 ms
He said that currently 60 fps gives them 50 ms (doubles with vsync, most games are 30 fps or less atm and use no vsync to reduce latency which is why they tear like a mofo :\ ) but other sources add latency (monitors add a lot but wireless controllers do too as can the engine if they cock up the order in which things are done).
So since he strives for 50ms they'll need much higher framerates (or in a better world crt monitors had a proper successor and we wouldn't need to compensate).

zeelman

Please make a launch console that doesn't turn into a jet turbine after a year or two, and then die mid-way through your 10 year lifecycle. I would love to own one of your consoles per generation. Now with that, I am much more pissed at Microsoft since I have gone through 4 Xbox 360's compared to 1 PS3 breaking on me, but Sony is taking a very close second by denying that there is a problem with the original run of 60GB playstation 3's having a somewhat high failure rate.

How many PS2s did you go through? I'm on my 3rd PS2 right now.

Melchiah

This is what I've always loved about Sony, their ambitious and crazy ideas for the future of our entertainment. It's always exciting to read what they've envisioned for things to come. Happy to hear they're going to serve the core gamers first and foremost.

I do hope they stick with the Cell design for the next generation to ensure proper backwards compatibility.

How many PS2s did you go through? I'm on my 3rd PS2 right now.

I couldn't agree more with that. My 60GB PS3 is like a fucking hoover at times. I hope it'll last until its successor arrives.

BTW, I've managed to get by each generation with only one PlayStation system. Although, I did enter the PS1 generation as late as in the spring of 1998, and my EU launch PS2 started having problems with reading discs towards the end of 2007.

Basch

This is why I love Sony. They're always so eager to shoot for the moon. Even if they fall short, they still land among the stars. Never change.

Patapwn

This is why I love Sony, so passionate to shoot for the stars even though they'll get there millennia after Samsung invented wormhole technology to get to and fro instantaneously

Coincidentally, saw this on Engadget - Lumus showing wearable see-through glasses at CES (720p), very similar to the ones Sony showed a couple of years back. And looking similarly prototype-ish.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/lumus-see-through-wearable-display-hands-on/

They supply to other manufacturers...but they estimate that this could hit the consumer market in the next couple of years for a few hundred dollars. If that gives any idea where this kind of tech is...
Virtual Reality and the set of glasses shown with Tom Hanks might explain the 300FPS @1080P target. If you don't get bogged down in DIRECTLY relating it to game frame rates and look at the Video channels needed for VR with the glasses shown:

The glasses have two video cameras and each lens for each eye has a LCD layer on the outside and a transparent OLED layer on the inside. Add it up and you have 6 Video channels which was why a comment about supporting video to VR head mounted glasses was going to be difficult. Then if you have an audience, 2 channels of video for 3D need to be supported on the main TV for a total of 8 video channels @ 1080P and 30Hz = 240FPS of the 300 target.

Media, looks like 1080P and 4K at launch with 8K by the end of the PS4 (not to be called PS4) life. My guess is the target resolution for games is going to include 4K just as the PS3 has support for 1080P games but few support it. (300FPS @ 1080P could support 4K games. Just depends on the reference, 300FPS of video manipulation (easy) or game rendering (hard).)

Most of the info supports current hardware trends and the mention of many programmable DSP channels is also a current trend. A very fast DSP can support Gigabit Ethernet as well as USB, can support Dolby 7.1 or the UHD 8K TV's 22 channel audio.

Software talk surprised me. Moving away from supporting Linux like software (Gnome and GNU Linux). I'd like that explained. More Vita like? ES Operating system, Squeek-Etoys-OLPC virtual machine with kernel C++ rather than 100% native language?

7 Years life for PS3 before next generation PS release = late 2013-2014 which matches up with Developers concentrating 100% on next generation title = 1.5+ to release of new title with implied 100% backward compatibility with PS3.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The controller part put a big smile on my face.

What's up with the part were it says the PS4 won't be called PS4? Are they really going to pull a Vita again?

Sony "outlines" a lot of shit, but rarely colors it in.

ToyStory graphics, bla bla. I'll believe it when I see it.

Graphics will get better in the future.

BREAKING NEWS

Furoba

Just like PlayStation Vita wasn't PlayStation Portable 2, the next PlayStation won't likely use numbers. That's getting a bit stale. Not until PS9 that is.

Sony "outlines" a lot of shit, but rarely colors it in.

ToyStory graphics, bla bla. I'll believe it when I see it.

Can anyone link to a quote from someone at Sony saying that the PS2 was supposed to be capable of "Toy Story graphics". People continually reference this but i've never seen a quote from someone at Sony actually saying it. The only quotes I can find about TS graphics on the PS2 are from the media and not actually anything that Sony said.

Can anyone link to a quote from someone at Sony saying that the PS2 was supposed to be capable of "Toy Story graphics". People continually reference this but i've never seen a quote from someone at Sony actually saying it. The only quotes I can find about TS graphics on the PS2 are from the media and not actually anything that Sony said.
Actually it was Microsoft that boasted that their new XBox console will have the Toy Story graphics:

"One of the basic premises of the Xbox is to put the power in the hands of the artist," Blackley said, which is why Xbox developers "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'"

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-250632.html

I think PS2 (or PS3?) was supposed to render the CGI in the new Star Wars movies according to George Lucas ;)

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Maasaki Tsuruta seems like an excellent replacement for Ken Kutaragi.

As far as display technology goes lets have a 16bit-dynamic range Crystal-LED. The lighting in video games would look so much more vivid and eye-popping.

Crystal-LED @ 4k resolution and 16bit HDR combined with a PS4 = mind blowing

spwolf

World would be so boring without sony.

Instead of this:
remote-550x460.png

we would have this:
xl_LG_Magic_Remote_Qwerty_hands-on.jpg

keep up the craziness!

Pistolero

Ouch at the number of Anti-Sony trolls! Am I one of the very few people who actually made the efforts of reading the initial post and figuring out that the CTO was talking in broad terms, underlying futur possibilitis and perspectives, and not limiting himself to the topic of the PS4 specifically or what? In a few years, the same bunch of easy triggers will ride the wave of the "600 fps, lol!"...
Readers : A dying breed!

A couple of posts on IGN from the writer of the article.

PaulDempsey said:
My article here started this, so just to explain a few things.

Tsuruta-san was speaking at the International Electron Devices Meeting, one of the big technical conferences for SoC design and setting out Sony's roadmap, NOT the specification for the fourth gen PS. There seems to be a bit of confusion over that.

On the 8k x 4k thing, this is what Sony is driving towards on that roadmap and it could mean a couple of things but they're not speaking about that in detail - again you get into product schedules rather than technology wishlists. So, 8k could be post-PS4, end of story. OR, Sony could see 8k arriving within the 10 years it wants the console to last and so aims to have a way of scaling the platform to cope with that.

On 300fps, again you have to think not so much about a single 300fps delivered image but more some of the stuff on the roadmap (which, repeat, could or could not form part of the next platform at some point). So, say you go with the glasses delivered immersive 3D AR for a multiplayer environment (all with different perspectives). 60fps per eye = 120fps OUTPUT. For multi-player, you're at 240fps on that basis at two. Go to three and you have to drop to 30fps anyway, 180fps, or something inbetween that and 60.

Now that wasn't what he explicitly said to me, so it isn't in the article. But finger in the wind, and you can see that it might be less about delivering 300fps to a single plane, but delivering up to 300 fps to multiple perspectives while maintaining tight latency.

Make sense? Anyway, thanks for the interest.

PaulDempsey said:
Actually, that's what the guy who Digg-ed the story thinks. I wrote it originally and that's a precis of my piece from E&T. And from my POV it's a headroom question relative to the expected lifetime of the console.

It's not something that might be there on day one, but which they might need five years down the line. Then you have to decide if you have to plan in that forward capacity.

Those are the kind of judgment calls that Tsuruta-san has to make to meet the roadmap, depending on the target launch date (which he wasn't giving away, nor did I expect him to).

Zaptruder

Banned
The glasses have two video cameras and each lens for each eye has a LCD layer on the outside and a transparent OLED layer on the inside. Add it up and you have 6 Video channels which was why a comment about supporting video to VR head mounted glasses was going to be difficult. Then if you have an audience, 2 channels of video for 3D need to be supported on the main TV for a total of 8 video channels @ 1080P and 30Hz = 240FPS of the 300 target.

Why are there so many layers? Why can't this stuff be combined at the video processing level? Like current AR does it? And wouldn't the video cameras be redundant due to the transparent nature of the OLEDs (although that depends on design).

And why wouldn't any output to TV just be a mirror of what the user is already seeing?

I'm sorry man, but it looks like you used some really reaching logic to squish that square peg sucker into a star shaped hole.

That said, 300fps makes much more sense in the context of advanced TVs like the multi-user autostereoscopic 3D tv that LG has developed. You're piping out multiple perspectives to multiple users, then yeah, you'd need to render essentially multiples of the same scene.

Why are there so many layers? Why can't this stuff be combined at the video processing level? Like current AR does it? And wouldn't the video cameras be redundant due to the transparent nature of the OLEDs (although that depends on design).

And why wouldn't any output to TV just be a mirror of what the user is already seeing?

I'm sorry man, but it looks like you used some really reaching logic to squish that square peg sucker into a star shaped hole.

That said, 300fps makes much more sense in the context of advanced TVs like the multi-user autostereoscopic 3D tv that LG has developed. You're piping out multiple perspectives to multiple users, then yeah, you'd need to render essentially multiples of the same scene.

First:
PaulDempsey said:
On 300fps, again you have to think not so much about a single 300fps delivered image but more some of the stuff on the roadmap (which, repeat, could or could not form part of the next platform at some point). So, say you go with the glasses delivered immersive 3D AR for a multiplayer environment (all with different perspectives). 60fps per eye = 120fps OUTPUT. For multi-player, you're at 240fps on that basis at two. Go to three and you have to drop to 30fps anyway, 180fps, or something inbetween that and 60.

Now that wasn't what he explicitly said to me, so it isn't in the article. But finger in the wind, and you can see that it might be less about delivering 300fps to a single plane, but delivering up to 300 fps to multiple perspectives while maintaining tight latency.
Now you have to understand how the technologies work. We have two technologies that could be used with the VR glasses but they have limitations that are obvious. Transparent OLED can have very very small LEDs embedded in clear plastic that can generate light but they can't stop light either way travelling through the plastic lens. So if you want to display a movie, light in the room is interfering with the LEDs lighting in the transparent OLED layer, bright enough room and the film is unwatchable. How do you solve that issue, with LCD.

LCD TVs require a back light as it just allows or stops light passing through the LCD layer...that can be used in this case by just stopping all light. Now if you want Augmented reality you have to stop light in only certain areas of the screen which requires Near Video bandwidth. Edit: You have a point in that while the AR glasses will still need 6 video channels, some of those channels will not need the full bandwidth.

Why do you need cameras in the glasses....Augmented reality works best with the players perspective...cameras in the glasses are needed to provide the Video keys necessary to generate video overlays and all light from the original through the glasses perspective needs to be blocked in the overlay areas. IF this AR experience is to be shared with others in the room, it is also necessary that all see what the player is seeing (8 video channels).

Your supposition is also possible (300fps makes much more sense in the context of advanced TVs like the multi-user autostereoscopic 3D tv) but isn't that something that the TV is supposed to do. I can't imagine 9 video channels going through a HMDI 1.4b or Display Port interface as that's not possible. None of the current glassless 3-D TVs support multiple perspective views though there have been some experimental multi-camera true 3-D multi-perspective TVs.

The 8K standard will use 2 of the current 6Mhz TV channels and use h.265 allowing 1 8K channel or 4 4K channels or 16 1080P channels. So having enough information for Broadcast to support your supposition is possible and I guess why the experiments. For the PS5 to support this, you would need a standard and an interface for 16 channel 1080P video. All this as you can imagine is not going to be supported in a PS4 as at the end of the PS4 life we will probably be just seeing 8K TV.

There is also that Sony Whitepapers give the opinion that 4K display is supportable for home TV but 8K display is not.

Your supposition while possible is very unlikely (due to limited numbers of TVs that could display multi-view 3-D -0-) in the next 10 years while mine is likely a PS4 feature.

Zen

Banned

They never actually said it, hilariously enough. It was a journalist that used it as a header in an article to drum up hype and sell magazines.

Zaptruder

Banned
First: Now you have to understand how the technologies work. We have two technologies that could be used with the VR glasses but they have limitations that are obvious. Transparent OLED can have very very small LEDs embedded in clear plastic that can generate light but they can't stop light either way travelling through the plastic lens. So if you want to display a movie, light in the room is interfering with the LEDs lighting in the transparent OLED layer, bright enough room and the film is unwatchable. How do you solve that issue, with LCD.

LCD TVs require a back light as it just allows or stops light passing through the LCD layer...that can be used in this case by just stopping all light. Now if you want Augmented reality you have to stop light in only certain areas of the screen which requires Near Video bandwidth. Edit: You have a point in that while the AR glasses will still need 6 video channels, some of those channels will not need the full bandwidth.

Why do you need cameras in the glasses....Augmented reality works best with the players perspective...cameras in the glasses are needed to provide the Video keys necessary to generate video overlays and all light from the original through the glasses perspective needs to be blocked in the overlay areas. IF this AR experience is to be shared with others in the room, it is also necessary that all see what the player is seeing (8 video channels).

Your supposition is also possible (300fps makes much more sense in the context of advanced TVs like the multi-user autostereoscopic 3D tv) but isn't that something that the TV is supposed to do. I can't imagine 9 video channels going through a HMDI 1.4b or Display Port interface as that's not possible. None of the current glassless 3-D TVs support multiple perspective views though there have been some experimental multi-camera true 3-D multi-perspective TVs.

The 8K standard will use 2 of the current 6Mhz TV channels and use h.265 allowing 1 8K channel or 4 4K channels or 16 1080P channels. So having enough information for Broadcast to support your supposition is possible and I guess why the experiments. For the PS5 to support this, you would need a standard and an interface for 16 channel 1080P video. All this as you can imagine is not going to be supported in a PS4 as at the end of the PS4 life we will probably be just seeing 8K TV.

There is also that Sony Whitepapers give the opinion that 4K display is supportable for home TV but 8K display is not.

Your supposition while possible is very unlikely (due to limited numbers of TVs that could display multi-view 3-D -0-) in the next 10 years while mine is likely a PS4 feature.

Thanks for the detailed post. Some good points... but still disagree with the camera solution that you're proposing... why have seperate layers/video feeds when they can be combined at the OLED level?

Or how about having cameras that recieve the input, but simply uses that data for room/object orientation/identification, rather than outputting that information over your eyes - because presumably, in a transparency situation, you'd be able to see the real world version of it?

And having the LCD as a blackout/opacity filter is a good idea - but if you're placing cameras directly infront of the eyes (as opposed to on the edges), then that design would obviate the need for LCD blackout; it would be a closed style HMD, where the only visual input is through the OLED displays themselves (imagine the HMZ-T1 taking video feed from camera sensors placed at eye position).

And again... why can't you just duplicate the feed from the player onto the TV screen, rather than providing seperate video channels for them? i.e. the difference between splitting a signal (i.e. free), versus... rerendering the same scene twice (i.e. 2 seperate video feeds).

Zaptruder

Banned
Someone should teach Sony that while being an optimist is not a bad trait, sometimes it will be a lot wiser to be a realist.

Hey yo. Not singling you out, but there are a shit load of posts like this in this thread.

The guy is a technologist - he's discussing the direction of technology as it relates to Playstation... and more broadly, all computer entertainment products.

It's not actually relating to the PS4 specifically. In that context; it is supremely realistic and sensible to acknowledge longer term plans and goals and drive research and development in that direction, while allowing for response from the market.

You guys think this stuff is developed in a vacuum? That they post on Neogaf and other gaming forums all day, then snap their fingers and decide... yup... we'll use these parts, bing bang boom, done?

Shit takes years and years... and you gotta be aiming for something rather than nothing when designing it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ouch at the number of Anti-Sony trolls! Am I one of the very few people who actually made the efforts of reading the initial post and figuring out that the CTO was talking in broad terms, underlying futur possibilitis and perspectives, and not limiting himself to the topic of the PS4 specifically or what? In a few years, the same bunch of easy triggers will ride the wave of the "600 fps, lol!"...
Readers : A dying breed!

Hey yo. Not singling you out, but there are a shit load of posts like this in this thread.

The guy is a technologist - he's discussing the direction of technology as it relates to Playstation... and more broadly, all computer entertainment products.

It's not actually relating to the PS4 specifically. In that context; it is supremely realistic and sensible to acknowledge longer term plans and goals and drive research and development in that direction, while allowing for response from the market.

You guys think this stuff is developed in a vacuum? That they post on Neogaf and other gaming forums all day, then snap their fingers and decide... yup... we'll use these parts, bing bang boom, done?

Shit takes years and years... and you gotta be aiming for something rather than nothing when designing it.

Yep. And actually a lot of what he said wasn't that far-fetched. Building flexibility into systems to allow for future expansion, supporting nascent future display standards.

PS3 already does a lot of this (i.e futureproofing 2005 style). Oh no I need a new bluray player to support 3D - or just use PS3. Oh no my bluray player doesn't decode dolby TrueHD - or just use PS3.

Recognising that you don't know how the future tech landscape will turn out, and trying to build the capability to adapt to that is smart thinking IMO

Am I the only person who wouldn't like the console to take a complete turn into 3D? I like how 3D's optional on the PS3, but it seems like with the roadmap the objective is to make 3D the main focus.

Not everybody can see 3D, I honestly never had the chance to see 3D before I had an accident that has effected my right eye, I'm not going into details as I really don't care but I'm just hoping they don't get so obsessed with 3D that they treat normal TVs like how they treat SD TVs in a lot of games, half assed and incredibly hard to read anything (Dead Rising, Dynasty Warriors 6 etc)

Thanks for the detailed post. Some good points... but still disagree with the camera solution that you're proposing... why have seperate layers/video feeds when they can be combined at the OLED level?
That would require a different technology we do not have now. It's possible but would only reduce the cost of the device not the bandwidth needed. Bandwidth needed is much less than a full video channel depending on head movement and size of the blocked AR area.

Or how about having cameras that recieve the input, but simply uses that data for room/object orientation/identification, rather than outputting that information over your eyes - because presumably, in a transparency situation, you'd be able to see the real world version of it?
The cameras are also needed so spectators (friends and family) can see what you are seeing.

And having the LCD as a blackout/opacity filter is a good idea - but if you're placing cameras directly infront of the eyes (as opposed to on the edges), then that design would obviate the need for LCD blackout; it would be a closed style HMD, where the only visual input is through the OLED displays themselves (imagine the HMZ-T1 taking video feed from camera sensors placed at eye position).
assumption was the cameras would be mounted on the outside edges of the glasses frame.

And again... why can't you just duplicate the feed from the player onto the TV screen, rather than providing seperate video channels for them? i.e. the difference between splitting a signal (i.e. free), versus... rerendering the same scene twice (i.e. 2 seperate video feeds).
That's what you are doing...still need the extra video channels but you don't have to render anything. The 300 FPS target can't be all game rendering ability as that would take MASSIVE GPU ability. Some of it is just video channel which requires almost no GPU ability beyond moving video from one buffer location to another and moving data to the southbridge or HDMI output chip.

The point of my original post was that 300 FPS @1080P should not be thought of as GAME RENDERING but as video channel support with some game rendering. IF 100% game rendering we are talking MASSIVE gpu performance and thus the complaints of not possible or too expensive from many posters. This was also the reason for the clarification I cited and the OP felt necessary. Your very possible speculation would require more game rendering than mine and a TV we probably won't see during the life of the PS4.

Top Bottom