• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Better Together |OT| Won't Somebody Please Think of the Children?

Unai

No freaking way. The win 10 version?! How do I set it up?

It's on the Windows 10 version, but I don't actually know how to set it up because I don't have a VR headset yet, but there are tons of videos and articles about it since last year when the support was released.

It's on the Windows 10 version, but I don't actually know how to set it up because I don't have a VR headset yet, but there are tons of videos and articles about it since last year when the support was released.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to set this up on my Vive.

I believe you have to get it through the Oculus store? I could be mistaken. If you have a Vive, that will require downloading ReVive.

I do have a Vive. I also freaking hate work arounds. I feel like they generally solve nothing in terms of making everything more open since it makes people content. But Vivecraft is a must for me so I guess I'll look into ReVive. VR exclusivity is so freaking stupid and is hurting so much more than helping. Why on EARTH would MS only put it on oculus when they are seemingly pushing so hard to have a more open image?

I do have a Vive. I also freaking hate work arounds. I feel like they generally solve nothing in terms of making everything more open since it makes people content. But Vivecraft is a must for me so I guess I'll look into ReVive. VR exclusivity is so freaking stupid and is hurting so much more than helping. Why on EARTH would MS only put it on oculus when they are seemingly pushing so hard to have a more open image?

Man, this VR stuff not being plug in and play is really daunting. I can't believe this exclusivity stuff exists for an already niche market 😑

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
anyone had any luck getting more then 2 devices play on lan .
somehow i can never past 2 players .

i have like 6 devices that can use it

Man, this VR stuff not being plug in and play is really daunting. I can't believe this exclusivity stuff exists for an already niche market ��

Exactly. It's the single most frustrating thing about VR for me. It's actually more frustrating than anything else I can think of in any other area of gaming except for C+M (controller + mouse) support. Which btw Minecraft supports, thank goodness.

It seriously sucks trying to explain to less tech proficient people I demo VR to who have that, "I need to have this!" gleam in their eye, that there are some hoops they will need to jump through for certain games and that some are exclusive to other platforms. It is SO much of a turn off especially at the current pricepoint of good roomscale VR.

Exactly. It's the single most frustrating thing about VR for me. It's actually more frustrating than anything else I can think of in any other area of gaming except for C+M (controller + mouse) support. Which btw Minecraft supports, thank goodness.

It seriously sucks trying to explain to less tech proficient people I demo VR to who have that, "I need to have this!" gleam in their eye, that there are some hoops they will need to jump through for certain games and that some are exclusive to other platforms. It is SO much of a turn off especially at the current pricepoint of good roomscale VR.

Oh for sure, when it comes to new hardware if it doesn't just "work", it's effectively DOA. I have always tried so hard to show off cool new stuff, but if it requires an extra step or two I've rarely, if ever managed to sell someone on the idea.

And in this case I'm in the exact boat, I want VR but I see all these manufacturers and all these exclusive software stuff and I'm confused on whether I'm being sold a console here or hardware that's supposed to work on my Windows PC.

Fuchsdh

Anyone know why texts from other players would show up as "####" instead? I thought it was profanity filtering on realms but that's "***". Whole messages from players are sometimes blocked, sometimes shown.

vermadas

For the Gear VR version at least (also Oculus stack), John Carmack was heavily involved in getting it ported - even working on lots of the code for it. It wouldn't surprise me if the Win10 version is a similar story where Oculus was responsible for making it happen. Of course, this doesn't excuse Oculus having soft hardware exclusivity on their store/runtime - I just wouldn't put much of the blame on MS.

Sciz

Anyone know why texts from other players would show up as "####" instead? I thought it was profanity filtering on realms but that's "***". Whole messages from players are sometimes blocked, sometimes shown.

minecraft_chat_filter2nstb.jpg

Seriously, what even

Also seems to be super-sensitive to alt-tabbing out in fullscreen mode, as that's promptly disconnected me twice now.

Fuchsdh

Seriously, what even

Also seems to be super-sensitive to alt-tabbing out in fullscreen mode, as that's promptly disconnected me twice now.

Yeah pretty sure that's an issue, happens to me as well. I just maximized it using windows controls.

I've only died like 10 times so far. Good times. I'm building in the mountain gonna cover all my ugly stone with dirt to make it fit in better later.

Fuchsdh

I've only died like 10 times so far. Good times. I'm building in the mountain gonna cover all my ugly stone with dirt to make it fit in better later.

Haha, I'm going to be building stuff in brick and concrete so for now there's gonna' be sod houses blocked out until I'm more established.

Sciz

Haha, I'm going to be building stuff in brick and concrete so for now there's gonna' be sod houses blocked out until I'm more established.

Well someone had to get the lay of the land, then:

minecraft_mapboxdc.png

Notes:

-jesus christ we've got a lot of desert

-The patch of brown and gray dots straddling the river south-southwest of spawn is a village.

-Don't fall into the chasm directly adjacent to said village. They're living dangerously.

-Or anywhere else, actually. Those three red strips all go straight to the bottom, there's the one by the village, and another less obvious one out east. Land got ripped open by angry gods or something.

-The roofed forest biome directly northeast of spawn is packed with large mushrooms for all your hunger needs. Also suitable for a kickin' treehouse.

-Snowy mountains off the northeast edge of the map if that's your thing.

"Wow, and the universe didn't explode!" seems like a funny little dig.

Want to double-dip for Switch, shame the update for that isn't ready yet.

Crispy75

Is it a windows language setting thing maybe?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Realm created!

Quote this message for the Realms address.

Okay, I've got a dumb question: how do we join a Realm in the W10 version? Where do I put that address into the game to go to the Realm?

zou

looking at feedback.minecraft.net it's obvious the "beta" was just a stupid marketing gimmick. the biggest issues are what anyone would have noticed after spending 5m with the beta. but hey, at least we can finally play the superior PE version.

ShapeGSX

Is anyone else on Xbox One having issues with family sharing of an Xbox Live Gold account? I have the Xbox LIVE account in my family, and I share it with my son. He plays tons of games on Live. But my son can’t play Minecraft online with the better together update.

“Your Xbox Live settings do not allow multiplayer games. Check your privacy & online safety settings on Xbox.com to make sure you have Xbox LIVE gold and that your settings allow multiplayer.”

Sarcasm

looking at feedback.minecraft.net it's obvious the "beta" was just a stupid marketing gimmick. the biggest issues are what anyone would have noticed after spending 5m with the beta. but hey, at least we can finally play the superior PE version.

I am not seeing it. Mind you I don't know what to look for.

Is anyone else on Xbox One having issues with family sharing of an Xbox Live Gold account? I have the Xbox LIVE account in my family, and I share it with my son. He plays tons of games on Live. But my son can’t play Minecraft online with the better together update.

“Your Xbox Live settings do not allow multiplayer games. Check your privacy & online safety settings on Xbox.com to make sure you have Xbox LIVE gold and that your settings allow multiplayer.”

I need help with this sane exact issue. Has anyone figured out how this works?

Unai

The inventory/craft menu is friendlier to noobs like me now. I don't have to look up on the internet how to create things anymore.

WillyFive

The inventory/craft menu is friendlier to noobs like me now. I don't have to look up on the internet how to create things anymore.

I think that was part of the appeal of Minecraft. That nine box grid was an infinite combination of possibility. When they added that crafting menu with the console game, the game lost a lot of it's magic.

sTiTcH AU

I just spent an hour playing minecraft with my 5yr old son, he was on the xbone and I was on Win10 version in another room. We built a house together and explored a bit. Then I jumped on the Android version and sat next to him on the couch and played some more.

Was a great feeling, well done MS. This is going to get some use in my household.

Daffy Duck

I need help with this sane exact issue. Has anyone figured out how this works?

Are your kids accounts set as child accounts?

Have you guys gone into settings on the consoles and then privacy in their accounts and changed it so they can play online/see custom content?

Thia video should sort you out.

https://youtu.be/J3ywpzi8-4E

Man, this VR stuff not being plug in and play is really daunting. I can't believe this exclusivity stuff exists for an already niche market 😑

Yeah I think you *have* to go through the oculus launcher. Assuming revive works it is really painless after that. I had an earlier version of the java build with a mod on top and that took quite a lot of fiddling with settings etc to get a vaguely workable build.

The official version of Minecraft is much more plug and play, and you only need to go into the settings if you really want to.

So you need to pay for a realm to play with the family all the time?

Wouldn't it instead be possible to use a spare android phone and "host" a game forever? ;)

So you need to pay for a realm to play with the family all the time?)

No realms are just if you want a permanent world.

You can play on a lan for free with any device. And if you want to keep using the same world make sure you use the same device to host the multiplayer game.

Top Bottom