• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 S models hacked and jtag'd

onQ123

I guess people see what they want to see, because the guy didn't look naked to me it looks like he has on khaki shorts

amazing!

Drkirby said:
But the 360 still has a max HDD size of 250GB, doesn't it?

Jtag was the one mod that never felt worth it. I had my Wii homebrewed so I can play imports with zero effort. I got a flash card so I could carry around all my DS games on one cart (Though in the end, I found I was fine with just one game at a time, so I never got a DSi compatible card). I modded my PS2 and PSP so I could have lower load times from my games.

At best, it does allow region bypass, but there aren't really any region locked imports that interest me, other then cave shmups that are more then I am willing to play.
no limit with JTAG.

Roto13

Manp said:
i don't really care about moral arguments, i leave those to others... i'm only amazed by how smart these guys can be

:)
Not smart enough to put some pants on before making a YouTube video, apparently.

Too much work, but I really do hope it gets easy one day, I don't care about getting banned from LIVE and my 360 would get more use that way.

as for people talking about hacking and possibly banning... only an idiot or someone selling slots for a call of duty xp boosting room goes on xbl with a JTAG, and by default, you can't even go online, it's blocked! what people do is get a 2nd 360 for the JTAG...

test_account

XP-39C²
iKeepPlaying said:
PS3? After the whole Geohot (3.55CFW) fiasco, they haven't been able to make CFW.
I guess it is only a matter of time. But yeah, the Geohot lawsuit actually seem to be quite effective, so far at least.

DieH@rd

Banned
Very interesting point of attack, they managed to hack the hypervisor.

Question remains, can this be possibly repeated on PS3 and Vita... Time will tell.

Smision said:
But you see, I've invested so much into XBLA, so I am not tempted in the slightest.

because microsoft did a good job of investing in XBL, providing an incentive to not pirate, rather than featureless security firmware updates every day that treat you like a criminal.

and that's how it's done.
Umm... No one is supporting piracy here. It about Homebrewing i.e. Adding or removing features that enhance the 360 experience.

I'll adopt a kitty if someone makes a minimalistic dashboard theme.

Does this mean we can also JTAG our phat 360s that are updated? Ever since I got my slim my phats been sitting in the closet collecting dust, maybe this could be a decent use for it.

IrishNinja

i recall reading there was an interesting homebrew scene on really old 360s that still had the blades OS, but i never saw what specifically. as has been said here, im sure most emulators run great, but it seems like a lot've effort for something PCs and most other systems do easier.

Truespeed

Sounds pretty flaky at this point. It's a good start, though. Oh, and I'm 25% sure the guy was wearing tan shorts.

GavinGT

Banned
grap3fruitman said:
You're an idiot. The ability to run homebrew on the 360 is a really great achievement. I kind of want to go pick up a slim right now with one of those gift-card offers.

Unless you really want to delve into the technical side of this hack, it could be 6 months to a year before this is released in a digestible form. I don't think most people will be programming Xilinx boards using VHDL to make this happen. Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy the slim now and stick it in your closet, as Microsoft will probably make swift changes in their next dash update by blowing e-fuses or something.

Theonik

bangai-o said:
so.... how is it pointless?
I'm guessing because now people can use 360s with the format update to dump new format disks. Though that is a foolish thing to say since:
a) The new format still gives you more space
b) They haven't solved the issue of burning those disks.
Disclaimer: I haven't been following the 360 hack scene for a bit so what I'm saying could be wrong.

grap3fruitman said:
You're an idiot. The ability to run homebrew on the 360 is a really great achievement. I kind of want to go pick up a slim right now with one of those gift-card offers.

What homebrew is there to run that's worthwhile possibly ruining your brand new $200 purchase?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I jtagged an xbox myself when they just found it out since I had the old one. Think I messed up about 5 times before finally getting it. After that I did a few for a friends. It's pretty easy to do if you have the link reader ready

AbsoluteZero said:
What homebrew is there to run that's worthwhile possibly ruining your brand new $200 purchase?
What homebrew has been developed for a platform that's been incredibly difficult to obtain units that can run homebrew? Not much but now there's potential. That's the point.

LQX

Cant believe people are still pirating games. This is probably the cheapest gen ever especially for 360 which games are always on sale it seems.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
LQX said:
Cant believe people are still pirating games. This is probably the cheapest gen ever especially for 360 which games are always on sale it seems.

Last gen was cheaper. By far.

Theonik

LQX said:
Unless devs start paying you to play their games piracy will always be cheaper.
Besides this has little to do with piracy.

onQ123

I don't even think the people here was even thinking about "Pirating games" when they seen this & I don't think anyone here said anything about pirating games so where are these little outbursts coming from?

angelfly

onQ123 said:
I don't even think the people here was even thinking about "Pirating games" when they seen this & I don't think anyone here said anything about pirating games so where are these little outbursts coming from?
People that think 360 piracy started with the JTAG and will start again with it on the 360 S.

Theonik

angelfly said:
People that think 360 piracy started with the JTAG and will start again with it on the 360 S.
Ie people who are wrong?
Because pirates didn't use JTAG but flashed the DVD firmwire.
Edit: Besides, this is a bit too much for your average pirate.

surly

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Not a lot! A few emulators and a couple of homebrew games from what I can tell.

It seems like it's more hassle than it's worth, cos you have to buy some kind of chip and even then it can take "a few minutes" before it'll run unsigned code, just so you can run a rather meagre selection of homebrew. I guess a few of the more hardcore pirates will do it though, but for a media centre/emulator box you'd be better off with a cheap PC.

kaioshade

AbsoluteZero said:

The ability to play imports would make me jtag my system easily if there wasnt serious consequences.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
I am down. I hacked my wii just so i don't have to deal with the discs anymore. I still have them on a shelf in my closet. Same with the Xbox OG. Being able to not deal with discs, not have to transport my discs when i take my console somewhere, and possibly play Japanese only shmups (cave) will be awesome. People using this for piracy are dicks.

LQX

Wario64 said:
Last gen was cheaper. By far.
No way. Prices fall a lot faster this gen. And there was not really a price war with many sites over games like this gen. Amazon practically discounts games everyday and Steam practically gives them away.

Theonik said:
Unless devs start paying you to play their games piracy will always be cheaper.
Besides this has little to do with piracy.
Of course it will be cheaper but with games getting cheaper because of sites like Amazon and Steam I think piracy might be the last resort for some rather than the first.

The 360 JTAG wasn't so much difficult as it was time consuming and required a lot of research on the best method...for me at least it was a fun hobby, I've done a Xenon and two Jaspers so far. As for the Slim's, I'll wait until more is understood and best common practices are laid down before I do mine. Not for piracy of course, I just like the challenge and the mod hobby.

Shaneus

By far the greatest feature (personally) of the JTAG'd 360 was to convert any game to the Games On Demand format and run them from the HDD. Bought a special drive just so I could do it for all my games.

If they can somehow get this exploit working online without detection or bans (which it sounds like might be possible) then I'd be quite chuffed. But as it is, my modified 360 is still in my bedroom with all my games on it, sitting there (relatively) unplayed as all my gaming is done in my loungeroom (and online).

Top Bottom