• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 S models hacked and jtag'd

Tiduz

Eurogaime
this makes a 360 region free basically.

too complicated, will wait for modchip, region locks are retarded as hell.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
TheExplodingHead said:
The 360 JTAG wasn't so much difficult as it was time consuming and required a lot of research on the best method...for me at least it was a fun hobby, I've done a Xenon and two Jaspers so far. As for the Slim's, I'll wait until more is understood and best common practices are laid down before I do mine. Not for piracy of course, I just like the challenge and the mod hobby.
This is definitely true, playing around with it is fun as hell. It's kind of dangerous tho because if you're not very experienced and you keep failing you'll become obsessed with it and keep trying until it works. My first jtag was quite the nerve wrecker :)

iKeepPlaying said:
So, you can play online with CFW? Or better, you can use homebrew on OFW? Nope.
So, there is a need.
Or how about just being able to play games that require 3.60 or higher? There are a bunch of games that are unplayable via PS3 CFW right now.

On topic, I hope this leads to easier methods of JTAGing systems, and the ability to JTAG systems that aren't only on really old dashboards.

onken

I guess this will mark a resurgence of XBLA game piracy, but I'm glad the region locking has been defeated.

Shaneus

To clarify, it really isn't true region free, so far as putting a foreign game in and it works. The executable in the game itself needs to be patched (which is why the file is no longer signed... it's been modified) and will either need to be burned back onto a dual layer disc or run from the HDD via the method I mentioned earlier.

It may be possible for someone to release an application on the console to do it on the fly, but as far as I know that hasn't been done yet.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
AbsoluteZero said:
Hacking your 360 and possibly bricking it, not to mention the large probability of getting banned from Xbox Live is not worth playing a N64 game that can be had for $10 on the Virtual Console and likely even less in actual cart form.

Try again.
-Snes/nes/genesis/n64 etc Games
-Boot Xbox360 games from an external HDD, no disc required
-Free DLC

-Custom Dashboard
-Play any video files natively, not just avi/wmv
-region free
-Works on any dashboard, including Slim hardware

You wouldn't buy an extra Xbox360 for this? A lot of people would. This is amazing news for the scene.

TeK-DeLorean said:
-Free DLC

-Custom Dashboard
-region free

You wouldn't buy an extra Xbox360 for this? A lot of people would. This is amazing news for the scene.

I prefer to purchase my games and DLC to support developers

TeK-DeLorean said:
-Free DLC

-Custom Dashboard
-region free

-I'd rather purchase my classic titles from the Wii's Virtual Console service where the original developers will get my money and I'm a legitimate customer.
-You can install games to the 360 HDD already. The 10 seconds it takes to insert a disc is not a big deal. Plus I'd have to drop $100 or more on a external hard drive.
-Like the classic titles, I'd much rather be a legitimate customer and support the developers that are producing the DLC.
-Custom in what way?
-I don't use my Xbox 360 to play video.
-I don't have any interest in games not already available in the US.

No, I wouldn't spend another $200+ for a second Xbox 360 for this. "The Scene" sounds mighty sketchy bro.

number47

does it fix the overheating issue with jtags?
i mean jtags are nice and all,but the con outweights the pro.

i have a jtag......that works for 30 minutes.:-/

but as someone said, its nice for those who love to mod and such.

TeK-DeLorean said:
-Free DLC

-Custom Dashboard
-region free

Agree with everything except Free DLC.

Don't promote piracy here, please.

Shaneus

"Free DLC" isn't exactly legal, and while you can play games from external HDD you can also play it on an "internal" (ie. in the caddy) drive up to any size. I have a 750gb in mine, a friend had wired up a 1.5TB 3.5" one.

TeK-DeLorean said:
-Free DLC

-Custom Dashboard
-region free

Sounds great besides piracy, your the dude that perpetuates the mindset that all people who do home brew are pirates.

I really want a custom dash though, I really hate the current one.

Shaneus

Tmac said:
I have an Falcon with early "avatar dash" FW.

Will I be able to JTAG it?
With this revelation, everything will be (as I understand it). With the old JTAG system, nope. The only version of the NXE that didn't patch the original JTAG exploit was the very first one (that was updated only a week or two after it first came out).

All I can say when reading the hack details is wow and also. How could anyone figure all of this out. It must require immense knowledge of the inner workings of hardware. Then again that imight have been their driving force.

Sorry for this moral argument point.
AbsoluteZero said:
-I'd rather purchase my classic titles from the Wii's Virtual Console service where the original developers will get my money and I'm a legitimate customer.
Developers? Not really. Try publisher and other people with current rights to the game. This can be the developer but for things like the Compile titles I think it goes to D4 as they bought the rights off the former Compile CEO who made a shell company and bought the rights from Compile when Compile went bankcrupt. You can say morally its a fairer system than buying a used copy off eBay from the perspective of who gets money. On the other hand as a consumer the VC liscense is very restrictive and morally worse for the consumer.

danmaku

The_Monk said:
Nobody can stop them. They will always find a way, I guess..

Actually this is a fairly difficult and convoluted hack for a 150$ gaming console. And it works only 25% of the times. Security is getting more and more tight on consoles (even the PS3 resisted any hack attempt for a very long time), I wonder what will happen in the next gen.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Tiduz said:
this makes a 360 region free basically.

too complicated, will wait for modchip, region locks are retarded as hell.

As a Pal 360 owner , FUCKING SOLD.

Starwolf_UK said:
All I can say when reading the hack details is wow and also. How could anyone figure all of this out. It must require immense knowledge of the inner workings of hardware. Then again that imight have been their driving force.

Sorry for this moral argument point.

Developers? Not really. Try publisher and other people with current rights to the game. This can be the developer but for things like the Compile titles I think it goes to D4 as they bought the rights off the former Compile CEO who made a shell company and bought the rights from Compile when Compile went bankcrupt. You can say morally its a fairer system than buying a used copy off eBay from the perspective of who gets money. On the other hand as a consumer the VC liscense is very restrictive and morally worse for the consumer.

To be fair when I typed that I was thinking of Capcom. Most, if not all of Capcom published games on the Virtual Console are developed by Capcom themselves. Though you're right, I should have said publisher rather than developer. Slip 'o the 1AM tongue.

Edit: More importantly than anything is that it's the legal alternative to emulation.

iamshadowlark said:
Grey area my ass. If its on the disc I bought then I have the right to get to it any way I can.

Lol, junior, lol.

alphaNoid

Banned
Raide said:
Just in time for the new dash update, so they can start all their work again.
KuGsj.gif

radjago

iamshadowlark said:
Grey area my ass. If its on the disc I bought then I have the right to get to it any way I can.
And yet another example that no one really understands software licensing.

I see on-disc DLC on the same level as a stocked hotel mini bar. It sucks that it cost $5 for that bottled water, but you're not entitled to it for free just because it's in the room you paid for.

Dunlop

Luckily emulation was listed as the first point or this thread might have deviated from the endless hacking/backup/homebrew threads on Gaf

seems like a lot of work, I'm sure it will be streamlined within the month

test_account

XP-39C²
grap3fruitman said:
What homebrew has been developed for a platform that's been incredibly difficult to obtain units that can run homebrew? Not much but now there's potential. That's the point.
Havnt a lot of JTAGed Xbox 360 consoles been around for years now? Or how do you mean with "incredible difficult to obtain"?

AbsoluteZero said:
To be fair when I typed that I was thinking of Capcom. Most, if not all of Capcom published games on the Virtual Console are developed by Capcom themselves. Though you're right, I should have said publisher rather than developer. Slip 'o the 1AM tongue.

Edit: More importantly than anything is that it's the legal alternative to emulation.

Lol, junior, lol.
This would imply that emulation is illegal which its not also

Lol, junior, lol.
This really hurt.

radjago said:

I see on-disc DLC on the same level as a stocked hotel mini bar. It sucks that it cost $5 for that bottled water, but you're not entitled to it for free just because it's in the room you paid for.

I completely understand licensing its just that I morally oppose the principle. Also that analogy is horrible.

onken

radjago said:

Except you buy the game disc, not rent it.

iamshadowlark said:
This would imply that emulation is illegal which its not also

This really hurt.

Of course emulation is technically legal, but I'm sure you're chomping at the bit to play your collection of public domain roms you own, aren't you?

I didn't say it to hurt you, I said it because I thought it was hilarious, hence the term "lol", which is internet speak for "laugh out loud"

shuri

Banned
All of this is completely futile if it cuts online access. My ps3, when it was softmodded, felt 'dead' as I couldnt get online with it anymore.

AbsoluteZero said:
Of course emulation is technically legal, but I'm sure you're chomping at the bit to play your collection of public domain roms you own, aren't you?

I didn't say it to hurt you, I said it because I thought it was hilarious, hence the term "lol", which is internet speak for "laugh out loud"
Its not only public domain roms that are legal smart ass.

test_account

XP-39C²
iamshadowlark said:
Depends on which court you ask. Most courts don't tend to buy into the whole "license not sold" clause.
Yeah, i'm sure there are some different opinions on it. And i guess it depends on what the content is going to be used for. Eventhough you buy a game, you dont have the right to copy it and sell the copies for example.

Shaneus

Ugh, NOT REGION FREE. It will allow you to play other region games by patching the executable to be region free, but the game will have to be reburned once patched or loaded on the HDD. You won't be able to play original discs that are region locked.

Eiji

Shaneus said:
Ugh, NOT REGION FREE. It will allow you to play other region games by patching the executable to be region free, but the game will have to be reburned once patched or loaded on the HDD. You won't be able to play original discs that are region locked.

No...

FreeBOOT allows you to play any region game. The region free flag is hacked in the firmware, not XEX which was the old method.

Shaneus

Eiji said:
No...

FreeBOOT allows you to play any region game. The region free flag is hacked in the firmware, not XEX which was the old method.
Ah, apologies. I don't know whether that's a relatively new thing or not, but I always thought games needed to be patched first. Great to hear!

Just to be clear, so far this hack is more complicated than a JTAG (more soldering/using Python/etc). And not to mention there hasn't been a rebooter released [XBR/Freeboot] for this method yet (which is how JTAG's work). I'd give it a month tops before the scene explodes and all this stuff is avaliable, it'll also probably get less complicated and parts to do it will be sold by Team Xec. Pretty cool times indeed in the 360 scene.

3rdman

Drkirby said:
But the 360 still has a max HDD size of 250GB, doesn't it?

Jtag was the one mod that never felt worth it. I had my Wii homebrewed so I can play imports with zero effort. I got a flash card so I could carry around all my DS games on one cart (Though in the end, I found I was fine with just one game at a time, so I never got a DSi compatible card). I modded my PS2 and PSP so I could have lower load times from my games.

At best, it does allow region bypass, but there aren't really any region locked imports that interest me, other then cave shmups that are more then I am willing to play.
A JTAGed 360 is capable of holding any size HDD...there are few tuts online that show a 1TB drive on them. They limitation is purely arbitrary.

With Jtag, you can also run anything from anywhere...you can run games off the disk, HDD, or external drive...the system doesn't care.

Dexa

Banned
TheExplodingHead said:
Just to be clear, so far this hack is more complicated than a JTAG (more soldering/using Python/etc). And not to mention there hasn't been a rebooter released [XBR/Freeboot] for this method yet (which is how JTAG's work). I'd give it a month tops before the scene explodes and all this stuff is avaliable, it'll also probably get less complicated and parts to do it will be sold by Team Xec. Pretty cool times indeed in the 360 scene.

idd - team exec already posted on their forums that they will release something.

Dexa

Banned
to update this thread a bit:
a bunch of companies have announced their own version of the "glitch hack board".
in addition there are new nand flashers and even a solder-less nand flasher on the way.

still now sign of the glitch hack freeboot (dashboard) version.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dexa said:
to update this thread a bit:
a bunch of companies have announced their own version of the "glitch hack board".
in addition there are new nand flashers and even a solder-less nand flasher on the way.

Meaning it'd be possible to hack/JTAG the system sans soldering?

Dexa

Banned
JaseC said:
Meaning it'd be possible to hack/JTAG the system sans soldering?
nope - you can read/write your nand without soldering.
you still need to solder the glitch board.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Anyone try this yet? I have a jasper sitting here gathering dust and I wanna do it. I already have a jtagged Xbox done via the old way, am wondering how much is different exactly with this reset glitch. I know a Gaffer made a great tutorial before. Anything similar for this perhaps?

Dexa

Banned
small update:
"hacked kernel" / dashboard has arrived.

if you want to try this - now is the time to start working on it ;)

Top Bottom