• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

Link1110

Kyuranger 1
Broke down and watched it cause I was downloading mega man x5 from psn and our want finished yet. Some parts of that felt like 90s Sentai (like the mecha battle). Kinda wish they focused on only finding red this episode and went for blue next episode, bit the best Sentai ate the ones where they introduce only half the ranger team at first. Hope it status that promising

Also that looked like the dinner from Spaceballs at the end

vareon

Okay, so Dan portrayed by Hiroyuki Takami who is the vocalist of Access was news to me, which is why Wish in The Dark sound familiar.

Kyuranger #1: Hello Daigo 2.0. Not sure how I feel about him
essentially forging his own Kyutama
, but it was a damn good entrance. Hopefully they lower the "lucky" aspect a bit. Green's actress isn't quite there yet, but I'm loving old strong man Black. Absolutely loving the diversity of costume design, like Black's general look and the velvet of Blue's suit.

Felt a bit like Dekaranger otherwise. Good start. The opening chorus is hype, but the rest is a bit rough.

EDIT: "It's time to test your luck" is fucking hype phrase though.

Tiu Neo

I kinda wish this is like Dekaranger, as in Ban became a lot more torelable after the first few episodes.

And yeah, those suits are great. I hope those suit differences for each member becomes a thing from now on.

Today's the 20th anniversary of the premiere of Megaranger! For anybody who hasn't watched it yet, MillionFoldCuriousity (MFC) did full subs a couple of years ago.

Ahh, its been that long. I feel old :( I rememeber watching the tapes as it aired and being pretty impressed. I have a soft spot for the show since the show aired during my senior year, and seeing them graduate along with me was kinda neat. :)

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid 18

Damn, Genm is crazy. A great villain, too, good he didn't become repetitive. This new president guy sounds kinda evil too. I wonder if he'll be a new villain, or just a normal game company president, lol.

The plot is building pretty well, this Kamen Rider Chronicle thing will be cool... if it really is what he said.

And I can really see Pallad becoming the enemy-turned-ally Rider of this season, already. Or maybe, in this case, a bit more of an ally, instead of a total enemy. Or maybe a third "faction", which would be cool too.

That ending. Can't believe we are only on episode 18, some Rider series (ahem, Ghost) don't have this much plot and development by the end.

Link1110

Today's the 20th anniversary of the premiere of Megaranger! For anybody who hasn't watched it yet, MillionFoldCuriousity (MFC) did full subs a couple of years ago.
One of my favorite Sentai. It's do a rewatCh but I'm enjoying zyuoh and catching up on exaid now along with real life, so no time

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ex-Aid 18

Yeah I'm with everyone, this episode was so good. In a lesser season, Emu finding out would be like end-game as everyone stumbles over themselves to keep it secret for most of the series. Not here though, Genm really plays the villain card and outright drops that bomb. Not only to destroy Emu, but mess with Parad. Genm is a top-tier Kamen Rider villain.

Makes me wonder where the series is going since we're not even 20 episodes in yet.

Dat Level 50 Brave

On Megaranger: I can see Shout releasing that later this year. I've already seen it but it'd be awesome to have it on DVD. Good timing being the 20th anniversary.

Slayven

Ex-Aid 18

Damn, Genm is crazy. A great villain, too, good he didn't become repetitive. This new president guy sounds kinda evil too. I wonder if he'll be a new villain, or just a normal game company president, lol.

The plot is building pretty well, this Kamen Rider Chronicle thing will be cool... if it really is what he said.

And I can really see Pallad becoming the enemy-turned-ally Rider of this season, already. Or maybe, in this case, a bit more of an ally, instead of a total enemy. Or maybe a third "faction", which would be cool too.

That ending. Can't believe we are only on episode 18, some Rider series (ahem, Ghost) don't have this much plot and development by the end.

My money is a new faction shows up either Genm leading it as Chronicle or something else. The Bugsters are pretty much irrelevant at this point.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Kyuranger 1

First episode show potential but at the moment characters are just insert character trait though I hope that they flesh them out as the show goes on, especially Lucky as I really really don't like him as he's a hyper active idiot who quickly got annoying spouting "Lucky" at every possible moment.

I am gonna watch Kyuranger up to episode 10 and then decide if I want to continue with it or not and who know maybe Lucky will have improved by then as he's no Yamato.

Ex-aid 18

Man the plot is really kicking up and Genm is a crazy villain who is just fun to watch.

Ex-aid is quickly climbing up my favorite rider list, though he isn't quite there to overtake W or Drive just yet.

Zynx

Ex-Aid continues to be awesome.

Don't forget we still don't know that much about the person Dan claims to have introduced bugsters into Emu. I am a bit worried that Dan might kick the bucket midway through the show since he's already going megalomaniacal already.

I still think there's more to be explored when it comes to bugsters, we don't really know their origins, and surely there's more than the two sentient bugsters we've seen so far in the form of Graphite and Pallad. Will the question of who did Poppi originally infect (Hiiro's dad, maybe?) be answered and be important?

javadoze

Ex-Aid continues to be awesome.

Don't forget we still don't know that much about the person Dan claims to have introduced bugsters into Emu. I am a bit worried that Dan might kick the bucket midway through the show since he's already going megalomaniacal already.

I still think there's more to be explored when it comes to bugsters, we don't really know their origins, and surely there's more than the two sentient bugsters we've seen so far in the form of Graphite and Pallad. Will the question of who did Poppi originally infect (Hiiro's dad, maybe?) be answered and be important?

They answer this in the Heisei Generations movie that
it's the guy posing as Dr. Pac-Man.
Kinda sucks they don't leave the show to be self-contained with that event in particular.

Nudull

Banned
Yooooo, I had no idea Ex-Aid would become this rollercoaster of awesome. Where in the hell was this effort and energy back on Ghost?

Genm is a complete motherfucker, and I adore him for it.

Tiu Neo

My money is a new faction shows up either Genm leading it as Chronicle or something else. The Bugsters are pretty much irrelevant at this point.

Would make most sense. That plus the chronicle "tip" at the last episode, maybe the second part enemies will be other Riders.

I can see the bugster becoming something a bit more secondary, or maybe important in a different role, as in infecting the "enemy" Riders.

Nudull

Banned
Would make most sense. That plus the chronicle "tip" at the last episode, maybe the second part enemies will be other Riders.

I can see the bugster becoming something a bit more secondary, or maybe important in a different role, as in infecting the "enemy" Riders.

Would make sense. We've had that hint of "Rider vs. Rider" throughout the series so far, down to the OP.

Tiu Neo

Maybe every Infected Rider will have another personality, kinda like Emu and (if she really is a bugster) Poppy?

NeonZ

Yooooo, I had no idea Ex-Aid would become this rollercoaster of awesome. Where in the hell was this effort and energy back on Ghost?

Genm is a complete motherfucker, and I adore him for it.

I mean, the staff is basically completely different. Ex-Aid also is the first series with a Tv-Asahi producer as the main producer, and Ex-Aid's writer also seems to be very quick. He has written every tv episode, the Heisei Generation movie and is supervising the mini-series and specials like Genm's and Brave's. Ghost's main writer had to take 2 episode breaks between his own episodes for the 1st half of the show, and for the 2nd half basically left for months due to having to write the solo movie, only returning for the final few episodes. And, in spite of that, the solo movie and tv series finale felt like just variations of the same plot, with quite a few similar plot points.

Link1110

Zoo-Ohger 17-21
Really good sixth intro arc, reminded me of the original MMPR Green Ranger arc. IThat sniper episode a few episodes back was amazing as well. If the series keeps up this level of quality, it might just become a really great Sentai
Did it?

Also Zyuoh Eagle's suit looks so much like Red Hawk's. Has to be intentional. The eyes and nose match the winds and body so well.

And the more I see the evil video game aliens, the more I think that Ex-Aid's motif has to be because this series villified video games so much that "Tanoshii toki wo tsukuru kigyou Bandai," who sponsered every single episode, was worried about a generation of kids thinking they're evil.

Tiu Neo

Zoo-Ohger 17-21
Really good sixth intro arc, reminded me of the original MMPR Green Ranger arc. IThat sniper episode a few episodes back was amazing as well. If the series keeps up this level of quality, it might just become a really great Sentai
Did it?

Also Zyuoh Eagle's suit looks so much like Red Hawk's. Has to be intentional. The eyes and nose match the winds and body so well.

And the more I see the evil video game aliens, the more I think that Ex-Aid's motif has to be because this series villified video games so much that "Tanoshii toki wo tsukuru kigyou Bandai," who sponsered every single episode, was worried about a generation of kids thinking they're evil.

Zyuohger
was good, but not one of the greats, imo. I think some of its weaknesses start showing up at about the point you are in.

WillyFive

My issue with Zyohger is that it's main plot line feels like a story for a single episode, not one that should have been stretched to be the main plot.

I mean, the staff is basically completely different. Ex-Aid also is the first series with a Tv-Asahi producer as the main producer, and Ex-Aid's writer also seems to be very quick. He has written every tv episode, the Heisei Generation movie and is supervising the mini-series and specials like Genm's and Brave's. Ghost's main writer had to take 2 episode breaks between his own episodes for the 1st half of the show, and for the 2nd half basically left for months due to having to write the solo movie, only returning for the final few episodes. And, in spite of that, the solo movie and tv series finale felt like just variations of the same plot, with quite a few similar plot points.

Damn, I didn't realize until you pointed it out that Takahashi has written every episode.

Even our past shows with lead writers have had pinch hitters: Sanjo did most of Drive, but Hasegawa took two parters here and there. Urobuchi scripted nearly every episode of Gaim - I believe he skipped any crossover or tie-in episode - but had backup on some episodes to complete them.

Link1110

He kind of already was. Being a huge Godzilla fan.
But now he's really entering the rabbit hole.
I'm glad he's at least interested in seeing Super Sentai too.

Yeah, that was the best part, rather than Linkara's all but dismissal of Super Sentai despite being a Power Rangers fan. I'm still shocked to this day Linkara has never watched a full series even out of curiosity. He must have マイナス百万倍の好奇心

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yeah, that was the best part, rather than Linkara's all but dismissal of Super Sentai despite being a Power Rangers fan. I'm still shocked to this day Linkara has never watched a full series even out of curiosity. He must have マイナス百万倍の好奇心

What does that mean?

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Made it about to the point where Goseiger was called a "bland season forgotten by fans".
[citation needed], goddamn.
Surely it wasn't a community darling, but bland? Get out of here.

Being a huge Godzilla nerd, James has always been a toku fan.
This is part of the damage that Power Rangers has done. It can never be repaired. The world got a terrible repaint. Kinda like with BoA toys.

I was super excited for Kyuranger since it was announced and looked awesome...but after watching the first episode Lucky is the most annoying dude ever. Seriously I can't stand this guy

otakuderek

These are two separate things.

MFC is upset that Shout Factory (likely) used their Ohranger subs for the DVD.

Toku fans in general just don't like TV-Nihon for their poor translations and pointless effects.

Interesting. I knew they had flashy effects, but I didn't know about the poor translations. Really haven't noticed from their old stuff.

Interesting. I knew they had flashy effects, but I didn't know about the poor translations. Really haven't noticed from their old stuff.

TV-Nihon are just terrible overall, though some of the re-do's of their old stuff is alright.

They can't encode properly, meaning their releases are horribly artifacted. The fonts they chose are pretty awful too, sometimes different for each character for no reason and hard to read in front of the action. They also refuse to translate a lot of Japanese words, often shoving in notes on what they're meant to mean which can take up a third of the screen giving you no time to read them, then never appearing later on when you probably forgot the term. Then there's the horrific Engrish that happens often due to Takenoko's loose grasp on English. "Banana new shoe" is a famed one from their original Den-O run (character was saying "Madame et monsieur", but they completely re-done that series so its much better.

They just don't take to criticism well and won't get past awful habits. Pretty annoying, because they're the most widely watched subs for toku on the web. They've done loads of stuff that hasn't been finished or even touched by anyone else, so that's even worse.

Top Bottom