• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morally, are there limits to self-defense?

Yeh, I can't even imagine murdering someone to protect my TV, even if it is an amazing Pioneer plasma. The people that get off on the fantasy of gunning down a home intruder creep me out.

yes, because most thieves announce their intentions when they break into your house.......

It's got nothing to do with protecting a TV.

Once somebody breaks into my home with my family at risk, all bets are off. I wouldn't intentionally kill anyone but they will be stopped and their threat nullified, regardless of what that requires.

problem, of course, is that often times these sorts of shootings happen as the criminal is fleeing/leaving and no longer poses any actual immediate threat. The shootings end up coming out of spite/anger/principle rather than any actual threat.

hiredhand

People seem to assume that if someone breaks into your home they are there primarily to murder/rape your loved ones. I would bet that in like 99.5% of the cases they are just desperate people trying to steal your tv for a quick buck. In a lot of cases you are just going to make matters worse by intervening.

Setmeni

I will preface this by giving a bit of background on me. I am a gun owner, I do conceal carry when I’m not in the house, my family has a long tradition of military and police service and I myself have served, and I do believe some of our gun laws need to be overhauled.

Now that that’s out of the way, I personally hate how stand your ground laws are currently built in most states including mine of Florida(soon to be Texas). When I say that I hate our stand your ground laws what I mean is the way they are written. So let’s say someone breaks into my house and has a weapon(not a firearm) or tries to mug me or my wife( once again no firearm). In the state of Florida I am protected in using deadly force in that instance, however if my shot does not kill the person assaulting my I can be found liable for different criminal charges as well as opening myself up to civil suits.
Now I would never want to kill someone even in self defense as I don’t believe I could handle knowing I ended someone else’s life unless I knew it was a me or them situation. So morally that would be my limit, however the state of Florida has different ideas on that which I greatly hate, if I can end a hostile situation by wounding my attacker so they can remain alive and be brought to justice I would much rather that be the option. Unfortunately anyone who has ever taken a CCW class down here in Florida knows that if you don’t tell the cops you were in fear of your life and you didn’t not shoot to kill there will be issues with it.

Someone breaking into my house at night is getting shot. Sorry. I have a family to protect and I'm not taking chances fumbling around in the dark with regard to # of intruders or how well armed they may or may not be.

Pretty much all other situations I would look to use the least amount of force necessary to get myself out of the situation altogether.

Xe4

Banned
I always believe in the duty to retreat within reason. That is, running away/getting away is far and away the number one self defense technique that can be employed, and other options should only come when there is no possibility of retreat (when defending someone who cannot run away, or when in your home).

Also, proportionality. You don't get to pull a gun on someone who is fighting you with their fists unless the attack is so severe it poses a threat to your life. Similarly, if someone robs you and is running away, you cannot retaliate and be protected by self defense laws.

People seem to assume that if someone breaks into your home they are there primarily to murder/rape your loved ones. I would bet that in like 99.5% of the cases they are just desperate people trying to steal your tv for a quick buck. In a lot of cases you are just going to make matters worse by intervening.

Desperate is the key word there. People will do some pretty horrible things when they're desperate.

Be a bit proportional of course. Someone shoving you doesn't deserve a bullet in the face right away.

But if you are an actual danger to me, I'll act like my life is depending on it. Don't take a risk that the other guy will somehow stop before inflicting serious damage or death.

Violence should be the only viable option to end an imminent threat (principle of subsidiarity) and you should only use the minimal amount of force required to end the threat (principle of proportionality).

Transgressing against proportionality in pursuit of safety is forgivable under highly chaotic or emotional circumstances but you should cooperate with the questioning and testing of this principle when your retaliation seems excessive to neutral parties or the law.

I feel like the question isn't "are their limits to self defense" but rather should there be limits when your life or the life of a loved one is threatened.

A lot of people defend the idea that you should be able to kill someone for stepping on your private property because you have warnings all over the place, but killing that man is a lot different from killing a man who waved a gun in your face. If you kill a man for egging your house, you deserve life in prison... if you kill a man for attempting to set your house on fire while your family is inside... I think you can easily argue the justification.

But at the same time... I don't advocate murder in any degree.

Griss

99.5% of the time you're probably right. But what about the time that on the next road over to mine 3 dudes broke into a house, rounded up the family at gunpoint, tied them up, loaded up all the goods into the car...

...then decided they'd come back and rape the 15 year old daughter? Real story.

You have no idea what a home intruder will do. You just can't assume the best when it could cost you or your family their lives or get a loved one raped. If someone breaks into your house your life is at threat. I would try to escape rather than fight, but at that point I feel like almost any amount of self-defence is appropriate.

I think human decency should apply here, the moment it becomes revenge as opposed to defence then you've crossed the line. I've noticed some people seem to have the attitude that the moment you've been wronged, you then have carte blance to take your justice.
I mean, I'm sure we've all seen social media posts from some gun owners saying stuff like "somebody better not mess with me or I will defend myself" like they're almost wishing somebody would just so they can justify shooting them.

EGM1966

Just don't inflict greater harm than necessary i guess

Proportionality always governs.
This. There is no moral limit in self defence in proportion to the threat but there are moral limits that define what is disproportionate.

Easy example you slap my face moderately hard because whatever and I blow your head off in return with a shotgun. This s dissprortiontate response and morally I'm in the wrong for using it.

problem, of course, is that often times these sorts of shootings happen as the criminal is fleeing/leaving and no longer poses any actual immediate threat. The shootings end up coming out of spite/anger/principle rather than any actual threat.

I can't speak for others but I'm not going to shoot somebody in the back as they are running away, even if they have my possessions in their arms.

That's not guilt I'd care to live with.

Really?

So I'm supposed to let them break into my home and take whatever they want?

Yeah, no.

I'm not saying that requires I kill them but I have no intention of allowing anyone to violate my home and literally do nothing in response.

If that's how you choose to handle it power to you but I'm not okay with letting people take and damage my home and possessions while I stand by and do nothing. (Unless of course the situation is clearly untenable, i.e., somebody is clearly armed, etc.)

Yes, including firing back when confronted.

I mainly used the word desperate because no professional robber would break into a house with people in it.

Sure they may fire back, but ultimately you're in a situation where you've got to make a split second decision. The only one that knows why they're there is the person/s who broke into your house. You don't know if they're there to rob, kill, or rape. But the only thing certain is that they have bad intentions since you don't just accidentally break into someones house.

It seems like people are also thinking of this in ideal situations. What about those with families in different rooms throughout a house? Are they expected to somehow get all of those people out of the house without burglars noticing? That seems unrealistic. Now it's obviously up to each individual in how they handle a situation like that. But I really find it hard to fault someone that defends themselves/family against someone who broke into their house.

Really?

So I'm supposed to let them break into my home and take whatever they want?

Yeah, no.

I'm not saying that requires I kill them but I have no intention of allowing anyone to violate my home and literally do nothing in response.

If that's how you choose to handle it power to you but I'm not okay with letting people take and damage my home and possessions while I stand by and do nothing. (Unless of course the situation is clearly untenable, i.e., somebody is clearly armed, etc.)
It really depends on the situation. I live alone, so if someone breaks in and I can get out unnoticed and call the cops. I do that. Not risking my life here for a laptop and Xbox. If I can't and they are in the room and see me, I think I'll fight. I don't know what is going to happen. Don't know for sure, luckily it has never happened.

But let's say you have kids and their bedroom is upstairs. How do you know they are safe. So then you will sooner go out there and try to protect them. Or if you have a girlfriend or wife with you, and they get in the bedroom. I don't know what they are going to do, so you shoot if you have a gun.

LordRaptor

Avoid rather than check,
check rather than hurt,
hurt rather than maim,
maim rather than kill.

seems pretty solid as a basis for protecting yourself while respecting life

appaws

Banned
Proportionality always governs.

Proportional to the threat. Minimize harm. Prioritize flight once it's safe to flee.

Proportionality should always be a guideline to self-defense.

I very much agree with this, which might surprise some of you knowing I am a big gun guy. Enough to end the threat to life or limb, and no more.

Also human life is of a infinitely greater value than material goods. So shooting a thief who is NOT A THREAT to your person is also morally wrong.

This, by the way, is what they should teach you in any proper firearm or concealed carry class.

Donos

Well, proportional. If i think I could easily die or get heavily injured? Absolute Max damage to the attacker till i can get away. First thing is always to run though.

mavo

Banned
self defense seems something totally misunderstood in our society. Far too many people seem to think that it gives you the right to beat the shit out of someone if they lay a finger on you, or kill/maim someone if they steal something from you. Want an interesting case study of this, find that thread on here about a woman that plowed into a guy with her SUV because he ran off with her purse. The number of psychos defending that shit was frightening.

lol this is so true, people seem to think committing a crime means you should be fucking killed, specially true when the perception of the people of crime is high.

People don't assume, people feel the danger, like if someone breaks into your house you won't stay in your room waiting for it to be over.

MastAndo

Hiding in your room until the bad man goes away isn't always an option. Some of you guys make it sound far too easy to gauge the level of threat.

finalflame

Gold Member
I will absolutely pull the trigger, twist the knife, whatever it is I have to defend myself if I feel you are threatening my life.

Things, however? Nah, dude. Take my stuff and leave, but if you step towards me I'm unloading the clip.

Shadybiz

Someone wants to draw fisticuffs in the street? Proportional, I can take some knocks and give some. Wouldn't go above what is needed to get out of the situation.

Someone breaks into my house in the middle of the night and is rummaging around downstairs? I'll call the police and wait near the top of the stairs.

Someone breaks into my house in the middle of the night and starts to try to ascend the stairs, they get a gun pointed at them and a warning.

If they try to advance after that, then they're getting shot. My wife is up there, and I won't see her threatened. I don't have kids, so the gun is easily reachable with a mag in close proximity.

....Having said that, there is almost ZERO chance that I will ever need to do that. We live in a quiet neighborhood on the edge of town...most people probably don't even know it exists, let alone would set it as a target for robbery. But...you can never be too careful.

Creepy

No, If somebody attacks me I will use as much force as I feel like at that particular moment.

If they end up maimed that's not my problem, they shouldn't have attacked me... simple as that really.

ZOONAMI

I think lethal force is unwarranted unless you are reacting to lethal force, something cops in this country seem to have a hard time understanding. Using lethal force because you are assuming someone might use lethal force, or might have a gun, or even has a gun (but it isn’t drawn/an imminent lethal threat) is murder, not self defense.

We can’t have such lax gun laws in this country and then have the cops be all surprised and afraid of people having guns. Someone simply having a gun in this country is not grounds to fucking murder them. And then you run into “I thought they had a gun.” What? And? That gives you grounds to shoot them? No. Did you see a gun? No. Were they starting to point a gun at you, or anything else at you? No.

Ok that’s murder. I don’t understand why prosecutors and juries fail so hard at putting murdering cops in prison.

Top Bottom