• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 New Character Trailer: Nadine Ross (Laura Bailey)

boosh5

Banned
Because it is goddamn hard for black actors to land any roles at all and not being able to play black characters is even worse?

This doesn't matter.

What matters is that the creators get to create the creative work that they wish to create. This is the voice they chose. Probably because it is the one they wanted. That should be the start and the end of this discussion.

Unless an email leaks out where Neil Druckmann says, "I really wanted to hire [insert name here], but it turns out she's black, so you know..." this is just another case of Neogaf being Neogaf.

Not everything is worth getting outraged about. Not everything is the smoking gun confirming secret racism.

It wasn't in the first big PSX gameplay demo, but it was in the E3 demo including the cutscene at the end of the extended demo. EDIT: You know, I'm watching this E3 2015 video on Gamersyde again and looking closer at the cutscene at the end, it appears the dithered shadows on characters are present there as well. It's just a lot harder to spot because the source video is much more compressed than this new video.

Here you can see motion blur on Drake's hand and dithered shadows on the paper:
Thx for the screen.

OMG I just saw Fupri's post and the replies to it. Hahaha wtf...

Also, the other footage we have of U4 shows some weird artifacts too, but not in shadows iirc.

The_Lump

Banned
People seriously bothered what ethnicity the voice actor is? Physiology of vocal chords and larynx are not consistent across and within races.

This doesn't matter.

What matters is that the creators get to create the creative work that they wish to create. This is the voice they chose. Probably because it is the one they wanted. That should be the start and the end of this discussion.

Unless an email leaks out where Neil Druckmann says, "I really wanted to hire [insert name here], but it turns out she's black, so you know..." this is just another case of Neogaf being Neogaf.

Not everything is worth getting outraged about. Not everything is the smoking gun confirming secret racism.

ITT: People starting to figure out the concept of Voice Acting.

People seriously bothered what ethnicity the voice actor is? A voice can't "sound white" any more than a fart can "sound white". Physiology of vocal chords and larynx are not consistent across and within races.
Again, it's less the voice acting that most have problems with and the actual literal acting that makes this an issue. in a film, would you be okay with a white person acting as an asian person? Or a white person acting as a black person in a film (not counting the obvious satirical use of blackface in something like tropic thunder of course)? There's a long and dark history regarding white people playing people of color and this is uncomfortably close to playing into that.

I can kinda swallow it if it was just voice work. It's when it's also actual acting where I find it much more troubling. and it should be, really.

I have a feeling they end up diddling at the end of the scene. Or making out. Or at least laying on top of each other with her pinning his arms down all sexy like. Then Elena walks in and Drake be like o_O

Oersted

This doesn't matter.

A creative decision reinforcing discrimination is the start of a discussion, not the end of it.

Again, it's less the voice acting that most have problems with and the actual literal acting that makes this an issue. in a film, would you be okay with a white person acting as an asian person? Or a white person acting as a black person in a film (not counting the obvious satirical use of blackface in something like tropic thunder of course)? There's a long and dark history regarding white people playing people of color and this is uncomfortably close to playing into that.

I can kinda swallow it if it was just voice work. It's when it's also actual acting where I find it much more troubling. and it should be, really.

What...but this isn't actual acting. People in here very much are talking about voice acting

The_Lump

Banned

That's not even remotely the same. Voices arent directly affected by ethnicity. Appearance usually is.

NexusCell

Pro tip: Games are not movies. White people can voice black characters, black people can voice white characters.

Are you all acting like the motion capture sessions where the actors act out the scenes and then their performances are captured isn't acting?

If it's not acting then what would you call it?

DatAhmedz

I really don't know what to say. I mean, if the idea of having a character designed and then have an actor wear a suit with balls to collect animation data makes you feel uncomfortable, then I'm sorry, but I really don't know how to answer this :/

I dont know if I'd go as far as to say some mo cap being uncomfortably close to blackface. Now dont get me wrong, I think they could have found a black woman who could have done a great job and I hope they think about that next time. I just think its a bit of a stretch to compare this to blackface. I dont think we will see her acting out stereotypes and whatnot in this.

Its nice to see minorities getting more representation in the medium but its too bad that this is backfiring due to poor casting decisions.

pj

Banned
If ya'll can't handle a white woman voicing a black woman character, please don't visit the IMDB page for Bob's Burgers. Or any other cartoon (which is what Uncharted is, really)

I have a feeling they end up diddling at the end of the scene. Or making out. Or at least laying on top of each other with her pinning his arms down all sexy like. Then Elena walks in and Drake be like o_O
Nah did you see the ring on Drake's finger? He's the family guy now. So yeah, no cheating for him unless he wants to be grounded by Elena.

x-Lundz-x

Are you all acting like the motion capture sessions where the actors act out the scenes and then their performances are captured isn't acting?

If it's not acting then what would you call it?

I can only imagine your outrage when you found out Ashley Williams in Mass Effect was voiced by a black woman.

Or Seth Green didn't really have a Bone Disease for his role as Joker. How can you go on playing games when these injustices are taking place?

Nah did you see the ring on Drake's finger? He's the family guy now. So yeah, no cheating for him unless he wants to be grounded by Elena.
Ok not cheating but her beating him up and having him pinned as Elena walks in and it looks bad and storming off seems plausible. Its classic Hollywood stuff.

XenoRaven

I can only imagine your outrage when you found out Ashley Williams in Mass Effect was voiced by a black woman.

Or Seth Green didn't really have a Bone Disease for his role as Joker. How can you go on playing games when these injustices are taking place?
Ashley Williams's VA is also Barbara Gordon, for the record.

Ok not cheating but her beating him up and having him pinned as Elena walks in and it looks bad and storming off seems plausible. Its classic Hollywood stuff.

what'll likely happen is she's kicking his ass throughout the majority of the fight and then something happens that clears the misunderstanding or he runs away.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For what it's worth, I thought it was weird that Bailey did the voice acting for that Chinese character in Binary Domain, to the point of having her do the stereotypical Chinese accent when speaking English. lol

What part of the distinction between voice acting and full on acting is it so hard for some of you to understand?

There's a difference and that difference matters

PBY

Banned
Two thirds of Laura Bailey's career basically consists of voicing 90 different Asian women.

I don't think its per se problematic, just was a gut reaction after being like "awesome, a character of color, and a woman AND she gets her own trailer" and then instantly being confronted by the fact that the actual opportunity given to the voice actor went to a white person.

That's all.

Pray he doesn't ever look at Andy Serkis' IMDB page. PRAY

PBY

Banned
Pray he doesn't ever look at Andy Serkis' IMDB page. PRAY

That's kind of a shitty attitude to take to people who aren't criticizing just to criticize, but perhaps are voicing an opinion that points out that whitewashing is prevalent in the entertainment industry, and it would not be a bad thing for more diverse casting to be part of the industry.

Alienous

what'll likely happen is she's kicking his ass throughout the majority of the fight and then something happens that clears the misunderstanding or he runs away.

Nah, Sully will waltz in and she'll run off before he opens the door.

"What happened, Nate? You lost your Tux'... don't tell me you had a girl in here"

"I guess you could say that, heh"

Nah, Sully will waltz in and she'll run off before he opens the door.

"What happened, Nate? You lost your Tux'... don't tell me you had a girl in here"

"I guess you could say that, heh"
Ha. Thats totally believable. I read those lines in their voices perfectly.

PBY

Banned
If she was the best actress to audition, then fuckin' a, she gets the role.

Sure; but this has also been used to handwave away whitewashing and various other injustices through time, so you can understand why some are skeptical.

People seriously bothered what ethnicity the voice actor is? A voice can't "sound white" any more than a fart can "sound white". Physiology of vocal chords and larynx are not consistent across and within races.

I'm not... I'm not sure that--- I don't know that that analogy works to be honest.
Let's hope it's not like that either because that shit was terrible.
Yeah, I don't think any of the previous Uncharted games have made a great job at hand to hand combat. It's passable at best.

That's kind of a shitty attitude to take to people who aren't criticizing just to criticize, but perhaps are voicing an opinion that points out that whitewashing is prevalent in the entertainment industry, and it would not be a bad thing for more diverse casting to be part of the industry.

I mean, if you see my earlier posts in this thread I mentioned how whitewashing is a problem. I just don't think it's entirely the same "issue" when it comes to VAing and motion capture. When you're playing a fictional character, where your appearance doesn't necessarily match the characters, I think it's liberating knowing you can play any race, gender or species like you couldn't with normal acting

Kinda surprised a developer like Naughty Dog cast her for that role. Surely they would have foreseen how it might be viewed as a controversial decision?

PBY

Banned
I mean, if you see my earlier posts in this thread I mentioned how whitewashing is a problem. I just don't think it's entirely the same "issue" when it comes to VAing and motion capture. When you're playing a fictional character, where your appearance doesn't necessarily match the characters, I think it's liberating knowing you can play any race, gender or species like you couldn't with normal acting

I don't disagree, but that doesn't mean that there isn't an issue of underrepresentation in the industry, and this was a great opportunity to give a black voice actor a chance. That's all.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That's actually been visible in at least one of the single player demos they've done. I think the PSX footage from last year.
I think their indirect shadows might be dithered in this game. It's a shadow technique they had since TLOU, that has characters casting shadow that comes from an indirect (bounced) light.

Kinda surprised a developer like Naughty Dog cast her for that role. Surely they would have foreseen how it might be viewed as a controversial decision?

I think it is extremely unlikely that Naughty Dog would care about controversy if it meant they got the perfect person for the role given how much they care about their craft. Getting the right person makes all the difference in the world, Joel and Ellie for example. It can still be considered kinda shitty that a white person got the job but i seriously doubt ND would compromise their vision because of some veiled racism in that they chose a "lesser" white actress instead of a better fit for the job black actress.

If she gave the performance that they liked the best, then there's little to argue against them considering their previous history with VAs and the fact we've had people of different races voice characters that aren't their race all of the time.

Top Bottom