• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump says he wants a massive military parade down Pennsylvania Avenue on July 4

KSweeley

It looks like we might be getting a massive military parade in Washington D.C. on July 4th in 2018 if Trump remains President by then: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rm=.d8af119a9e34&wpisrc=nl_politics-pm&wpmm=1

President Trump's trip to France for the country's Bastille Day parade in July left a big impression. So big, in fact, that he wants to replicate the experience back home.

As Trump met Monday with French President Emmanuel Macron, the commander in chief gushed about seeing France's military might on display in the streets of Paris during his visit. And he told reporters he is looking into the possibility of having a parade down the streets of Washington on Independence Day to show the United States' “military strength.”

“I was your guest at Bastille Day, and it was one of the greatest parades I've ever seen,” Trump told Macron, who sat next to him. “It was two hours on the button, and it was military might and, I think, a tremendous thing for France and the spirit of France.”

“To a large extent because of what I witnessed, we may do something like that on July Fourth in Washington down Pennsylvania Avenue,” Trump said.

Isn't the Bastille day parade more ceremonial military than...."fighting" military.

I'm no soldier expert though so someone feel free to correct me

Patryn

Of course Trump would want one. He's an insecure little fuck, and I feel like parades like these showing off your military might is more about projecting power than having power.

bastille-day.jpg

BriGuy

We already have the biggest and most expensive military in the world. A parade is an unnecessary waste of money. If you really want to celebrate our democracy, make election day a national holiday instead.

Fucking called it.

Russia always had one
France always had one
NK has one

When Macron invited him, we knew this was going to happen. Trump was SOOO happy with all the big TRUCKS and JETS like his toys in Paris... I called it, I knew he was going to go back to the US and ask for a Parade because his military is the strongest

Makonero

I want one too, when we oust him and his cronies from that office permanently for colluding with a foreign government

Strimei

He wanted something like that for the inauguration, was told no, the streets couldn't handle it.

It won't happen.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
A radio on every corner blaring Trump's "speeches" and his face on every wall surrounded by twitter posts turned slogans.

Serpico99

I was infantry, and we hate this shit. Our unit went by the "quiet professional" mantra.

We didn't allow our guys to wear their uniform on planes. Shit is lame.

Lautaro

Preparing for a parade takes time, you need to train if you want it to look good (I know because I had to sweat a lot to get the goose step right).

They are cool but I think it would send the wrong message and it would be a waste of time when your military is already busy with actual wars. Besides military parades are made to show off or for tradition, none of those cases apply to you.

cameron

WSJ: Trump Floats Idea of Big Military Parade on July 4th to Match Bastille Day
President Donald Trump was so inspired by Bastille Day celebrations in Paris when he visited earlier this year that he wants to hold a similar parade down Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington to celebrate the Fourth of July, the U.S. leader told French President Emmanuel Macron.

“It was one of the greatest parades I’ve ever seen,” Mr. Trump said at the Lotte New York Palace hotel, where he had met earlier with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel. “And to a large extent, because of what I witnessed, we may do something like that on July 4th in Washington, down Pennsylvania Avenue. I don’t know. We’re going to have to try and top it. But we had a lot of planes going over and we had a lot of military might, and it was really a beautiful thing to see,” he said, adding that when he had got back, he had asked his chief of staff John Kelly to look into options to replicate it to celebrate Independence Day in the U.S.
Talk some sense into him, Kelly.

Makes sense given that public displays are one the main things he enjoys, and as POTUS he can just order military members to be there. Still smells of warmongering and is stupid as all hell though.

Top Bottom