• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
AranhaHunter said:
No I don't remember that, enlighten me with a link please.

Haha... my memory isn't exactly on... it was 50 million they said they get in 3 years.

Still I remembered it... thats got to be worth something... :p

bahh... and it was iwata... not yamauchi...

Damn you memory!!!

News: Nintendo's Future Projections
Posted by Tim - Jun 6th 2002 20:49

Nintendo said today it aims to sell 50 million of its GameCube game consoles globally by March 2005. Goody! Full press release below!

It still has a long way to go, however, to catch Sony PlayStation 2, the dominant home video game platform worldwide with more than 30 million units shipped since its debut in March 2000.

Nintendo launched the GameCube last September and has set a shipment target of 12 million units for the business year that started in April, compared with Sony's target of 20 million PlayStation 2s.

President Satoru Iwata reiterated Nintendo's strategy of appealing to consumers with innovative games, rather than trying to build ambitious entertainment platforms like Sony's PlayStation 2 and Microsoft Xbox.

"We're reaching the limits of how far we can appeal to consumers by boosting the machines' performance or providing more compelling graphics and sound," Iwata told an analysts' meeting.

"For the past few years we've been looking for new ways to surprise people, new ways for them to have fun."

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft all announced hefty price cuts last month for their cutting- edge consoles, aiming to expand their customer base as they jostle for the fat profits to be earned from software sales.

Iwata expressed concern, however, that the price-cutting fever in hardware may spread to software, where it could do severe damage to game makers' bottom lines.

"We have a sense of crisis, that price cuts in software could destroy the game industry," he said.

He also defended the company's policy of maintaining a huge hoard of cash rather than investing it in new businesses or elsewhere.

"We have 900 billion yen ($7.25 billion) but one of our rivals, Microsoft, has five trillion yen," he said.

"This is a high-risk business...There may come a time when we would have to make intensive investments."

Nintendo's shares ended 0.58 percent lower at 17,100 yen on Thursday, in line with a 0.76 percent drop in the benchmark Nikkei average.

They fell as far as 16,710 yen in the afternoon, their lowest since last September, and have shed more than a quarter of their value since the start of the year, due in part to worries about price competition.

Source: GC Advanced

http://n-europe.com/news.php?nid=2544

DonDepre

Banned
Gaborn said:
Tell that to the developers who have to decide what console to put their AAA team on. Like, oh, I dunno, the monster hunter team?

Yes.

How many third party big IPs are in the game industry? One hundred? Two hundreds? Silent Hill, Resident Evil, MGS, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, etc, etc, etc...

Two of them goes to the Wii: Monster Hunter and Fatal Frame. None of them specially big in west. All the others franchises goes to PS360, and not only this, almost all that franchises are not present in any way in Wii. Some others are present with spinoffs or casualized versions.

For a console that sells more than the other two combined, the lack of third party AAA support is incredible, and the proof that a lot of game companys don't consider the Wii even a console. Even the GC, with his low sells, got more third party IPs.

m3k

i see the ps3 increasing its sales in my part of the world and i dont want sony to fail

but i will add some :lol at kaz

:lol :lol :lol

he got alot of work to do

Kaz Hirai's back-peddling of their estimated sales is a sign of his lack of confidence of their product. Didn't Jack Tretton say that they were gonna sell 5 BILLION PS3's in North America alone by the end of this year?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Scalemail Ted said:
Haha... my memory isn't exactly on... it was 50 million they said they get in 3 years.

Haven't they sold about that much in the past year and a half?

Pop On Arrival said:
Kaz Hirai's back-peddling of their estimated sales is a sign of his lack of confidence of their product. Didn't Jack Tretton say that they were gonna sell 5 BILLION PS3's in North America alone by the end of this year?
Is this a joke? Ten to a person?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Zefah said:
No one knows anything. We can only speculate.

Remember at the beginning of this generation how most "analysts" stated, as if as fact, that the Playstation 3 was going to dominate the competition and that the Wii would be a relatively short-lasting 'fad'? They are certainly wrong at this point...

But then, you're assuming that the analysts know their shit, which they clearly don't. Analysts make projections based on current data and past numbers (and by "past", I mean "from the last generation ONLY"). They don't know anything about the industry per se, how it works, what is successful and why it is successful. The overwhelming majority has zero hindsight, because all they do is look at the numbers. All they've been saying was "Hey, Sony has been successful for 2 generations now, surely they will win this time too!" How poor an analysis is that?

Now, before knowing what the Wii was all about and the price of the PS3, this was understandable. In fact, almost everybody here would have agreed that, unless the three manufacturers changed their plans radically compared to last gen standards (which Nintendo did), Sony would have won, or at least be quite successful. But the analysts (namely, Michael Pachter, but not only) kept saying that they expected the PS3 to win 6, 12, 18 months after launch, even though the trends were completely different.

There are a few people who are far more knowledgeable, and some of them are GAF members (I myself am trying to be more knowledgeable, but I'm not quite there yet :p). The problem is that, to my knowledge, there's only ONE person who writes in-depth articles about the industry and its future. The guy is good, if brash and sometimes out-of-touch on topics that are not directly business-related (game design for instance), but as far as videogame industry analysis goes, you can't find better articles than his, because no one bothers analysing it as he does. He was one of the only people that predicted that Nintendo would win, and he did so in a very confident way. I'd really like it if someone took the time to give their insight, apart from him, but anyway, that's beside the point.

The italicized "know" in my previous post meant that I did not mean "know" in the strictest sense, sorry if I didn't make it clear enough. Of course, we don't know what will happen accurately. Yet, believe it or not, an industry can be really analysed, and you can predict the big picture. You need to know the industry as a whole, from its beginnings to its present state, as well as the strategies used by the competitors. The only unknown that could have a significant impact is whether these competitors will stay true to their respective strategies or not. Say, for instance, that Nintendo makes too many mistakes in its disruption strategy. That could have disastrous results.

Argh, I'm always writing too much, sorry for that.

[EDIT] By the way, Mama Robotnik, you're awesome. Finally, a reference that I get (not much of a Star Trek fan, but I like Doctor Who)!

Wollan

Quoting this for the new page. Simply brilliant.
Mama Robotnik said:
docgaf.gif

pswii60

Meanwhile:
Peter Moore: Wii to Win Console War with Over 50% Market Share

It's a lot easier to talk about the console wars when you're not running the business behind one anymore. EA Sports' Peter Moore sees Wii taking the crown.

While Sony's Kaz Hirai told the Financial Times that he thinks the PS3 can sell 150 million units during its lifespan, former Xbox man and current EA Sports label president Peter Moore gave the Times a different picture of what he expects the market to look like several years down the road. Moore, like many others in the industry, has predicted a relatively easy victory for Nintendo.

"It looks to me as if the Wii is going to have at least half the installed base of the overall industry and the Xbox 360 and PS3 are going to fight over the balance, based on the run-rates we're seeing," he said.

The Wii recently took over the top spot in the U.S. with nearly 11 million consoles sold. On a monthly basis, the Wii has easily been outselling the PS3 and Xbox 360 during each NPD reporting period. In June, even with the PS3's MGS 4 fueled surge, the Wii still outsold the PS3 by about 260,000 units and the Wii outsold the Xbox 360 by a three-to-one margin.

Nintendo's console truly has shown no signs of slowing down. Whether or not Moore's prediction of 50 percent proves to be accurate, Nintendo has already won in terms of mainstream mindshare and profitability.
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/n...console-war-with-over-50-market-share-/?biz=1

Guys, I know you love Mama Robotnik's gifs, but for decency's sake, stop quoting it every time you want to laugh at it. Please?

More on topic - it's like this thread has compressed all the 'wrong' possible from Sales-Age discussions into one place.

pswii60

Kilrogg said:
No wonder he and Phil Harrison left. Both seemed to know they were not on the winning team... Then again, Harrison joined Atari, so there goes my theory :p.
If 'being on the winning team' involves being a part of Nintendo's E3 press conferences, I'd rather work for N-Gage.

To be fair, after the expensive Lair and Heavenly Sword debacles, Harrison probably had quite a bit of pressure on his shoulders. Unfortunately for him, the first party line-up is now getting a lot of praise.

As for Moore, well I think MS are better with Mattrick. Moore is a great front-man but I think Mattrick is a better thinker, and has a lot more proven experience under his belt too.

pswii60 said:
If 'being on the winning team' involves being a part of Nintendo's E3 press conferences, I'd rather work for N-Gage.

A couple of hours of humiliation vs. raking in huge, huge piles of dough.

I'm not saying the conference wasn't an embarrassment, but get some perspective.

Pureauthor said:
Guys, I know you love Mama Robotnik's gifs, but for decency's sake, stop quoting it every time you want to laugh at it. Please?

More on topic - it's like this thread has compressed all the 'wrong' possible from Sales-Age discussions into one place.
I liked my posts.

*shrugs*

pswii60

Pureauthor said:
A couple of hours of humiliation vs. raking in huge, huge piles of dough.

I'm not saying the conference wasn't an embarrassment, but get some perspective.
*IF* I had the choice, I would rather do a job I enjoy, and work for a company that has the games I'm interested in, the culture I'm interested in. The same reason I'd rather work for Capcom than EA. So, YOU get some perspective, you cheeky bugger.

pswii60 said:
*IF* I had the choice, I would rather do a job I enjoy, and work for a company that has the games I'm interested in, the culture I'm interested in. The same reason I'd rather work for Capcom than EA. So, YOU get some perspective, you cheeky bugger.

I missed the part about 'culture' and 'games I enjoy' somewhere in the 'involved in the E3 Press Conference' part, considering that the E3 press conference is neither an accurate reflection of the company's culture or the games they have in the pipeline! If you're talking grunt-level work, then it's going to be pretty much the same whether you work in Capcom, EA, Valve or Phoenix Games, you know.

Ranger X

TWO SIMPLE QUESTIONS...

docgaf.gif

What is this movie or TV show?

What the name of that OMGWTFbeautifull lady? I need to marry her.

pswii60

Pureauthor said:
I missed the part about 'culture' and 'games I enjoy' somewhere in the 'involved in the E3 Press Conference' part, considering that the E3 press conference is neither an accurate reflection of the company's culture or the games they have in the pipeline! If you're talking grunt-level work, then it's going to be pretty much the same whether you work in Capcom, EA, Valve or Phoenix Games, you know.
Sorry for not being more descriptive in my original post :p

Concept17 said:
To be fair, almost everytime I'm in a gaming section I STILL hear people talking about the 360/PS3/Wii like they just came out and they simply dont own one. Most people aren't very well informed.

Do you work at a gaming section?, because I work and you are WRONG.

And im talking about Spain, ex-sony land here.

legend166

This thread is horrendous. Then again, I guess it's just another "sales thread that's not really sales-age" so you get a crap ton of retarded fanboy opinions based on no logic or reason.

The only redeeming factor is that I just noticed Segata is back. So with that, thread saved!

Dragona Akehi said:
The doctor is a Speccy fanboy and you know it.

damn, I'd really want him to be a C64 boy
retroconsolewars!

Mama Robotnik said:
I think we can all agree that at least he's a Gaffer.

(I'm sure there about three people here who get the reference)

this man needs a tag, PRESTO

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
With such a statement on the OP, this thread was a joke from the start anyway...

Ranger X said:
TWO SIMPLE QUESTIONS...

docgaf.gif

What is this movie or TV show?

What the name of that OMGWTFbeautifull lady? I need to marry her.

That would be the new Dr. Who, which I cannot stop watching! That GIF is EPIC though. :lol :lol

Davidion

Can I say? We all know by now that Mama Robotnik has a pretty obvious schtick. It is, however, one pretty fucking good schtick.

Good job, mama. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom