• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

davonaytor
Member
(06-07-2013, 09:48 AM)
davonaytor's Avatar

Originally Posted by boutdown

He seriously just solders in the wire and just puts electric tape over it and sells it?

Yep, I guess it's just for people who don't want to deal with doing that. Like me :)

Edit: Oh wait, I think there is some pcb in the tape area, it's more rubbery than it looks, but the website says that it has reprogrammable mappings.
IrishNinja
(06-07-2013, 09:54 AM)
IrishNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by BocoDragon

Btw on that XRGB mini tip... I'm really happy with s-video on this system. Not sure if I'll bother with RGB mod.. Not for awhile, anyway.

yeah, i just can't not when the option's there...if you change your mind, i found a guy who sells em with a controller for $70 shipped, not too far off ebay prices. i'm really hopeful it helps the upscaling, again it's just the cable i gotta wait on cause i'm afraid to go with another/wrong one and fuck my shit up like that one dude here did

Originally Posted by Seik

You really need to play Paper Mario, it's the best one, imho!

better than TTYD? damn, i'm in for a treat! so glad i waited, should be here by this weekend too!

Originally Posted by Ninja Dom

Here are my Nintendo published Japanese games. I missed out on tons though. Perfect Dark JP version had an interesting cover.

those boxes look awesome. i didn't know region modding the N64 was just about as easy as the SNES, any other import games beyond Sin & Punishment to look out for?

also i know i'm not the only dude here who remembers the Star Fox 64 promotional video from Nintendo Power, hahaha
King Endymion
Member
(06-07-2013, 09:55 AM)
King Endymion's Avatar
Bought two new joysticks for my controllers yesterday. One that resembles the Gamecube stick and one regular N64 one.

My question is, can you do something to prevent the regular one to wear out? I heard somewhere you can open it up and put some industrial fat at the bottom so the plastic won't grind away to nothing, does that work?
Seik
something about preservation I guess
(06-07-2013, 09:57 AM)
Seik's Avatar

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

better than TTYD? damn, i'm in for a treat! so glad i waited, should be here by this weekend too!

Well, I love both but I prefer PM64, this may be nostalgia talking though. :P
BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
(06-07-2013, 10:06 AM)
BocoDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

yeah, i just can't not when the option's there...if you change your mind, i found a guy who sells em with a controller for $70 shipped, not too far off ebay prices. i'm really hopeful it helps the upscaling, again it's just the cable i gotta wait on cause i'm afraid to go with another/wrong one and fuck my shit up like that one dude here did

Hmm. I see your point. I'll probably get one eventually too. Dat quest 64 for perfection ;)

I don't think it will help with the upscaling, per se. The way it looks in s-video will be 99% the same in RGB... But some details will be a bit sharper.

Now NES ... That is something I must have in RGB, and I'm really hoping this guy's upcoming Universal PPU will be cheaper and more color accurate than the current solutions (that require you to gut a PlayChoice anyway)
finngamer
Member
(06-07-2013, 10:18 AM)
finngamer's Avatar
My favourite console. PlayStation might have sold three times more and had all the "cool" games, but sometimes I really wonder how far back modern three dimensional gaming would be without Nintendo advancing it so much in the late 90's with the N64. Mario 64 and the Zelda's are still so playable with excellent cameras, solid 3D worlds and excellent controls.


If someone's interested, here is a pretty much definitive collector's list of everything the N64 had. I love the amount of different console and controller colours. :)

http://finngamer.webs.com/nintendo64info.htm

All N64 prices have been in a steep rise the last few years, I'm glad I amassed most of my collection while it was still cheap. I got almost every controller and console variation there is, and a full collection of games. (A mix of US and EUR versions of the wetsren releases, plus every Japanese exclusive) Here's a video of all the games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_TXumOJBKE
Sakujou
Banned
(06-07-2013, 10:23 AM)
am i reading it right!?!?!?!

you just have to remove a bit of plastic to get it region-free!?!?! holy shit!?!?!

is there some tutorial or something??? back then prices for adapters for playing importgames were obnoxious...

i have around 25-30 games, but i missed papermario, mario party and goemon... played them all back then, but prices for those games never went down...
Seik
something about preservation I guess
(06-07-2013, 10:24 AM)
Seik's Avatar

Originally Posted by finngamer

My favourite console. PlayStation might have sold three times more and had all the "cool" games, but sometimes I really wonder how far back modern three dimensional gaming would be without Nintendo advancing it so much in the late 90's with the N64. Mario 64 and the Zelda's are still so playable with excellent cameras, solid 3D worlds and excellent controls.


If someone's interested, here is a pretty much definitive collector's list of everything the N64 had. I love the amount of different console and controller colours. :)

http://finngamer.webs.com/nintendo64info.htm

All N64 prices have been in a steep rise the last few years, I'm glad I amassed most of my collection while it was still cheap. I got almost every controller and console variation there is, and a full collection of games. (A mix of US and EUR versions of the wetsren releases, plus every Japanese exclusive) Here's a video of all the games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_TXumOJBKE

:O

That's a killer collection you got there, my man. Welcome aboard!

:O

...

:O

Seriously though, I'm glad I got my stuff back then as well, because like you said, prices are going crazy nowadays.

Originally Posted by Sakujou

am i reading it right!?!?!?!

you just have to remove a bit of plastic to get it region-free!?!?! holy shit!?!?!

is there some tutorial or something??? back then prices for adapters for playing importgames were obnoxious...

i have around 25-30 games, but i missed papermario, mario party and goemon... played them all back then, but prices for those games never went down...

In my case, my mother works in the esthetics, so I paid her a visit and borrowed her pedicure thingy with a little piece of sandpaper on top of a turning tip to grind the plastic off.

something like this. Did a perfect job.

nkarafo
Member
(06-07-2013, 10:24 AM)
nkarafo's Avatar
Even though i grew up in the late 8-bit and 16bit generation, the console that did the most impact for me was the N64. With games like Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, OOT, Majora's Mask, Banjo-Kazooie, the best Starfox and my favorite game, F-Zero X, this console is definitely my favorite. And it was the BEST for local multiplayer. Not to mention that PC gaming in 1996 - 2000 was at its peak, so combined with the N64 this era is my favorite in general.

The only thing that i hated about this console was a lack of a Metroid game. With Nintendo at its peak in making quality first party titles, a Metroid would be amazing on the console and it would have all the franchises covered.
IrishNinja
(06-07-2013, 10:25 AM)
IrishNinja's Avatar
^yup, i was surprised too! had the modder do it but it's apparently not hard at all, little more than the easy-peasy SNES one but not by much, there's some good YT videos too

ps ive always been curious how RE2 played here, still impressive it even got a proper port
BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
(06-07-2013, 10:26 AM)
BocoDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sakujou

am i reading it right!?!?!?!

you just have to remove a bit of plastic to get it region-free!?!?! holy shit!?!?!

is there some tutorial or something??? back then prices for adapters for playing importgames were obnoxious...

i have around 25-30 games, but i missed papermario, mario party and goemon... played them all back then, but prices for those games never went down...

You might need an adapter if you are a PAL gamer......?

But yeah, the only thing that's stopping American and Japanese consoles from being inter-operable is a bunch of annoying plastic.
Sakujou
Banned
(06-07-2013, 10:27 AM)

Originally Posted by finngamer

My favourite console. PlayStation might have sold three times more and had all the "cool" games, but sometimes I really wonder how far back modern three dimensional gaming would be without Nintendo advancing it so much in the late 90's with the N64. Mario 64 and the Zelda's are still so playable with excellent cameras, solid 3D worlds and excellent controls.


If someone's interested, here is a pretty much definitive collector's list of everything the N64 had. I love the amount of different console and controller colours. :)

http://finngamer.webs.com/nintendo64info.htm

All N64 prices have been in a steep rise the last few years, I'm glad I amassed most of my collection while it was still cheap. I got almost every controller and console variation there is, and a full collection of games. (A mix of US and EUR versions of the wetsren releases, plus every Japanese exclusive) Here's a video of all the games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_TXumOJBKE

bro iam super jealous....

fuck i just checked ebay prices... holy shit i fucked it up...

paper mario was 30€ back then and now it costs at least 80€
orborborb
Member
(06-07-2013, 10:29 AM)
n64 games you should play

*Everything* published by Nintendo/Rare, with the possible exception of those Hudson Mario Party games and Donkey Kong 64, was just phenomenal. Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Wave Rave 64, Blast Corps, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, Star Fox 64, Zelda 64, Jet Force Gemini, F-Zero X, Super Smash Brothers, Goldeneye 007, Excitebike 64, Mario Golf/Tennis, Banjo Tooie, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Paper Mario, Conker's Bad Fur Day, even Yoshi's Story and Mickey's Speedway are quality games. The only one I can't speak to is Killer Instinct, but I know it has a fanbase.

but also,

Tetrisphere - A proper puzzle game, not the time wasting casual crap we have now
Aidyn Chronicles - the strange world and gameplay systems of this game should interest the type of nerd who knows about pen-and-paper fantasy role-playing systems outside of dungeons and dragons, unfortunately the battles are agonizingly slow and graphically bland
Ogre Battle 64 - a "train and supply your army" type strategy game with no tedious moving characters one-by-one
Shadowgate 64 - yep, a proper sequel to the NES/Macintosh classic
Castlevania Legacy of Darkness - why can't games have atmosphere like this anymore
Rocket: Robot on Wheels - perhaps the second best platformer after mario 64, made by the team who later dumbed down their physics and gameplay to make Sly Cooper
Beetle Adventure Racing - no racing game has ever had as many interesting secret pathways
Goemon's Great Adventure - great soundtrack, tight 2d platforming
Sin and Punishment - this game and Wild Guns on the SNES are the definitive examples of this rare style of arcadey shooter
Animal Forest (original japanese version of animal crossing) - I just want to credit this game to the n64 console to remove all doubt that it had the MOST innovative and exciting console library in history
Star Falcon
Member
(06-07-2013, 10:29 AM)
Star Falcon's Avatar
Yeah i have very good memories of my N64.

The PS1 had more games, sure. But on the whole i think the amount of groundbreaking, "9/10" games was higher on the Nintendo (in large part thanks to Rare).
IrishNinja
(06-07-2013, 10:36 AM)
IrishNinja's Avatar
yeah, Shadowgate 64's another on the list, never did get to play that one & i adored the NES title

Originally Posted by BocoDragon

This is an easy console to collect for, which is good. Small library, most of them big sellers. I have no doubt the prices will go up in about 5 years, though....

yeah, after the SNES skyrocketed, it seems GC has been trying to follow suit...can't help but feel this one's only a matter of time, especially for those like the infamous N64 kid at christmas' generation or so who grew up with it, when they hit their 30's or so & have more $ to throw at it, heh
Seik
something about preservation I guess
(06-07-2013, 10:39 AM)
Seik's Avatar

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

yeah, Shadowgate 64's another on the list, never did get to play that one & i adored the NES title

Now that you're talking about the list, I just noticed that Doom 64 wasn't on yours.

I heard so many good things about it but never pulled the trigger myself as well. I really need to grab it.
Maximus.
Member
(06-07-2013, 10:40 AM)
Maximus.'s Avatar
Only good memories with my N64, whether it was Mario Kart MP, Goldeneye, Conkers, Ocarina. Probably my most fond gaming experience(plus the GBC).
G_Berry
Banned
(06-07-2013, 10:40 AM)
G_Berry's Avatar
Some favs from my collection:

BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
(06-07-2013, 10:41 AM)
BocoDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

yeah, after the SNES skyrocketed, it seems GC has been trying to follow suit...can't help but feel this one's only a matter of time, especially for those like the infamous N64 kid at christmas' generation or so who grew up with it, when they hit their 30's or so & have more $ to throw at it, heh

Yup. There are definitely less rare/niche titles on 64 though. I'd say the money is in CIB titles...
nkarafo
Member
(06-07-2013, 10:50 AM)
nkarafo's Avatar

Originally Posted by G_Berry

Some favs from my collection:

Body Harvest is a masterpiece. An ugly one but its a masterpiece nonetheless. And what a soundtrack it has. And the N64 port of Shadowman was great.
Lé Blade Runner
Member
(06-07-2013, 10:59 AM)
Lé Blade Runner's Avatar
Some of my best childhood memories are tied to this console. Weekend-long Goldeneye multiplayer-marathons with a bunch of friends, Mario Kart 64 with my family ( it became our way of spending saturday-evenings ), and so on. Small, but absolutely great library of games. The only downside was that the cartridges were pretty damn expensive ( in comparison to, say, PlayStation games ) here in Europe.

I still have my console, too, tucked away in my mother's attic.
daninthemix
Member
(06-07-2013, 11:03 AM)
daninthemix's Avatar
Games were too expensive for a teenager with a paperround (although I did a stint in a warehouse so I could afford a PS1, Saturn, and N64!) so I would cycle 10-15 miles to a particular rental shop that carried some of the more obscure titles. I remember cycling there on a hot summer's day and grabbing Mystical Ninja starring Goemon.

Absolutely delightful game.

I would also like to mention Shadow Man as perhaps the most overlooked game on the system. It's a Tomb Raider/Zelda-ish adventure with one of the thickest atmospheres I've ever experienced.
nkarafo
Member
(06-07-2013, 11:06 AM)
nkarafo's Avatar

Originally Posted by daninthemix

I would also like to mention Shadow Man as perhaps the most overlooked game on the system. It's a Tomb Raider/Zelda-ish adventure with one of the thickest atmospheres I've ever experienced.

Its amazing, of course, but its just a port. Its better than the PS1 port but there are also the superior Dreamcast and PC versions.
IrishNinja
(06-07-2013, 11:16 AM)
IrishNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seik

Now that you're talking about the list, I just noticed that Doom 64 wasn't on yours.

its funny, i still have the red cart DOOM from SNES that caused me to pass on that...that time was round when i was in dorms and experience the magic of LAN parties, quake 2 was awesome when skinned/modded to hell & back so the idea of playing it on the N64 for instance didn't feel right anymore, haha,

Originally Posted by daninthemix

Games were too expensive for a teenager with a paperround (although I did a stint in a warehouse so I could afford a PS1, Saturn, and N64!) so I would cycle 10-15 miles to a particular rental shop that carried some of the more obscure titles. I remember cycling there on a hot summer's day and grabbing Mystical Ninja starring Goemon.

Absolutely delightful game.

I would also like to mention Shadow Man as perhaps the most overlooked game on the system. It's a Tomb Raider/Zelda-ish adventure with one of the thickest atmospheres I've ever experienced.

gonna look up this one as well! though in light of that last post, might do so for dreamcast, heh
Recall
Member
(06-07-2013, 11:30 AM)
Recall's Avatar
Ill post the pictures of my collection once I can, I'll just leave these few here for the time being :)








I'm still a huge fan of the wrestling games on the console. Virtual Pro Wrestling 2: Ōdō Keishō is still the king.
meppi
Member
(06-07-2013, 11:31 AM)
meppi's Avatar
Funny this thread popped up today.
As I was working on an N64 Magazine issue where Doom 64 was reviewed I just had to track down a copy since I never bought the game back in the day.
So 2 days ago, this arrived: :)

I'm new be nice
Member
(06-07-2013, 11:32 AM)
I'm new be nice's Avatar
I rented doom 64 back in the day and wasn't able to appreciate it the way I can today. Back then all I thought about was "doom is old and look at these sprites, lame". I just wanted something in 3D because thats what i bought the system for. It wasn't until I came back to it years later that I was able to appreciate it. I'm betting it was that way for a lot of people.
Pietepiet
Member
(06-07-2013, 11:33 AM)
Pietepiet's Avatar
This thread needs way more Bomberman Hero love. One of the best 3D platformers I've played. Plus the music is fantastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3-5-cqMxPQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nNCXdrHzqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDum1GrI9-w
meppi
Member
(06-07-2013, 11:36 AM)
meppi's Avatar

Originally Posted by I'm new be nice

I rented doom 64 back in the day and wasn't able to appreciate it the way I can today. Back then all I thought about was "doom is old and look at these sprites, lame". I just wanted something in 3D because thats what i bought the system for. It wasn't until I came back to it years later that I was able to appreciate it. I'm betting it was that way for a lot of people.

In my case it was because at the time I had already played the PSone version of Doom to death and I didn't even realise that Doom 64 had all new levels.
For some reason I thought it was just Doom 1 on the N64. :-/

Haven't played it yet since I need to hook up my N64 again and I don't have much time to play during the week. But I know what I'll be doing this weekend. :)
Katzii
Member
(06-07-2013, 11:49 AM)
Katzii's Avatar
Absolutely brilliant system - in fact, I still have it hooked to my TV (looks pretty good through SCART) and have very recently been playing it.

...Until my official memory card erased my Goemon save.

Anyone (UK) know where I can get a reliable memory card or can they recommend me one? I picked up the officials thinking they would be a good bet (since my unofficial memory card/rumble pak dealie is permanently stuck on rumble now), but not so much.
nkarafo
Member
(06-07-2013, 11:53 AM)
nkarafo's Avatar
The only bad thing about Doom 64 is the lack of reload animations for the shotguns. I was really led down by that back in the day because i thought the way the weapons look in Doom were one of its coolest features.

Otherwise its an amazing game. Not just a port, but a new game. With new, well designed levels. And its also the most dark and sinister of all Doom games (N64 for kids, lol). Oh and technically, its the most impressive console Doom, with smooth framerate and complex level designs. I didn't care about the sprites. Its Doom. I wasn't expecting 3D models.
ResidentDante
Member
(06-07-2013, 11:54 AM)
ResidentDante's Avatar
Any love for Blast Corps here?



My neighbour and I played this a lot! Really fun to destroy things and go for a higher rating each time! I remember going though hell to get the Platinum medals.

I'd love to see a similar game with the tech of hardware today and the sheer destruction you could make from it.
Coreda
Member
(06-07-2013, 11:56 AM)
Coreda's Avatar
About time someone revived an appreciation thread for the 64. A groundbreaking console that seems gets a lot of vocal dislike on gaf for it's 'blurry' textures....

Games played back in the day:
- Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
- Super Smash Bros
- Rogue Squadron
- Space Station Silicon Valley (Rockstar games)
- Diddy Kong Racing
- Donkey Kong 64
- Conker's Bad Fur Day
- GoldenEye
- 1080° Snowboarding
- Snowboard Kids
- Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
- + more

Games discovered later:
- Perfect Dark
- Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask
- Ridge Racer 64
- San Francisco Rush 2049
- Road Rash 64
- Fifa 99

Star Falcon
Member
(06-07-2013, 11:57 AM)
Star Falcon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pietepiet

This thread needs way more Bomberman Hero love. One of the best 3D platformers I've played. Plus the music is fantastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3-5-cqMxPQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nNCXdrHzqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDum1GrI9-w

I never played Hero, would have liked to. Though did play Bomberman 64 which i recall being pretty difficult.

Originally Posted by meppi

Funny this thread popped up today.
As I was working on an N64 Magazine issue where Doom 64 was reviewed I just had to track down a copy since I never bought the game back in the day.

You wrote for N64 mag? I used to buy every issue back in the day, was a great magazine that had a lot of influence on my purchases for the system.
Vexxan
Member
(06-07-2013, 11:58 AM)
Vexxan's Avatar
Finally this thread exists! Started collecting some N64 stuff earlier this year mainly because I started getting into speedrunning and the PAL versions are no good for that so I bought myself a Japanese N64 on Ebay, plugged in the cables from my old PAL N64 and it worked like a charm.

My holy trinity, the best 3 games I've ever played:

I have my N64 + CRT TV that handles NTSC somewhat decent set up on a table that I can drag around when I'm not using it. I say somewhat decent because the colors look a bit strange(like really strong/intense) but I'm sure could be fixed if I could find the TV remote and change the color mode/settings. At least I get a good picture, my old 14" TV did colors and all good but it was so small to play on and my other 22" TV didn't support NTSC very good so the picture was black and white. Of course my big LCD does NTSC but the input lag is too much for me to speedrun on. Old games belong on old TVs!

Hori Mini Pad controller for life, they are maybe a bit too small if you have big hands(like me) but anything beats the original N64 controller. Pretty hard(and expensive) to come by original controllers that still have decent sticks. Hori Mini Pads a pretty expensive on Ebay too, was lucky enough to grab mine off Ebay Germany for about $40 which is a good price. Been trying to get another Hori controller in good condition that matches my console's color but they go for $70-80 on Ebay and most of them have discolored analog sticks that look yellow and gross :P


EDIT: Of course I got a PAL N64 as well but it's in a box in the basement together with most of the "essential" N64 games like OoT, MM, SSB, SM64 and so on.
daninthemix
Member
(06-07-2013, 12:02 PM)
daninthemix's Avatar

Originally Posted by ResidentDante

Any love for Blast Corps here?



My neighbour and I played this a lot! Really fun to destroy things and go for a higher rating each time! I remember going though hell to get the Platinum medals.

I'd love to see a similar game with the tech of hardware today and the sheer destruction you could make from it.

Sure - I loved making this video about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgHefdSQt8I

The variety between the vehicles is great, and very few games have done destruction as well.

Damn that Backlash though.
Celine
Member
(06-07-2013, 12:05 PM)
Celine's Avatar
N64 got the real Doom 3.

Originally Posted by I'm new be nice

I rented doom 64 back in the day and wasn't able to appreciate it the way I can today. Back then all I thought about was "doom is old and look at these sprites, lame". I just wanted something in 3D because thats what i bought the system for. It wasn't until I came back to it years later that I was able to appreciate it. I'm betting it was that way for a lot of people.

Unfortunately many did the same, that's why the sequel was canned.
meppi
Member
(06-07-2013, 12:06 PM)
meppi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Star Falcon

You wrote for N64 mag? I used to buy every issue back in the day, was a great magazine that had a lot of influence on my purchases for the system.

No, no. Sadly I'm nowhere near talented enough for something like that. :)
But check out my profile to see what I was talking about. I think you'll like it. ;)
Celine
Member
(06-07-2013, 12:09 PM)
Celine's Avatar

Originally Posted by meppi

No, no. Sadly I'm nowhere near talented enough for something like that. :)
But check out my profile to see what I was talking about. I think you'll like it. ;)

Not sure about him but I surely appreciate your efforts :-)

EDIT:

Originally Posted by nkarafo

Body Harvest is a masterpiece. An ugly one but its a masterpiece nonetheless. And what a soundtrack it has. And the N64 port of Shadowman was great.

It's ahead of its time but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece.
nkarafo
Member
(06-07-2013, 12:12 PM)
nkarafo's Avatar

Originally Posted by meppi

But check out my profile to see what I was talking about. I think you'll like it. ;)

I certainly like it.. btw, will the CVG gap (1992-1995) ever be filled? :D
Star Falcon
Member
(06-07-2013, 12:13 PM)
Star Falcon's Avatar

Originally Posted by meppi

No, no. Sadly I'm nowhere near talented enough for something like that. :)
But check out my profile to see what I was talking about. I think you'll like it. ;)

Ah, awesome work! I fondly remember several of those titles and recognise quite a few of the covers.

Bookmarked the page, would be a nice little nostalgic distraction for when i'm not supposed to be busy at work ;) cheers!
I'm new be nice
Member
(06-07-2013, 12:14 PM)
I'm new be nice's Avatar

Originally Posted by ResidentDante

Any love for Blast Corps here?



My neighbour and I played this a lot! Really fun to destroy things and go for a higher rating each time! I remember going though hell to get the Platinum medals.

I'd love to see a similar game with the tech of hardware today and the sheer destruction you could make from it.

One of the first games I got after Mario. The concept of being able to leave your vehicle blew my mind as a kid, I loved trying to uncover all the secrets in that game, the hidden scientists and such. And going into space was the cherry on top, for whatever reason I couldn't fathom how awesome it was to be driving around on the moon. That game was phenomenal to me.
nkarafo
Member
(06-07-2013, 12:19 PM)
nkarafo's Avatar

Originally Posted by I'm new be nice

That game was phenomenal to me.

Still one of the most original games ever made. I miss the days when games had originality and new ideas. Now with gaming being mainstream, who in the right mind would release a game like Blast Corps?
IrishNinja
(06-07-2013, 12:19 PM)
IrishNinja's Avatar
that zelda box is sexy...also Hybrid Heaven was likewise on my radar but fell off cause no one really talked about it afterwards, assumed i didn't miss much?

might be time to track down Doom 64 after the last few posts, heh
ResidentDante
Member
(06-07-2013, 12:24 PM)
ResidentDante's Avatar

Originally Posted by daninthemix

Sure - I loved making this video about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgHefdSQt8I

The variety between the vehicles is great, and very few games have done destruction as well.

Great video! Brings back memories!

Originally Posted by daninthemix

Damn that Backlash though.

Backlash?

Originally Posted by I'm new be nice

One of the first games I got after Mario. The concept of being able to leave your vehicle blew my mind as a kid, I loved trying to uncover all the secrets in that game, the hidden scientists and such. And going into space was the cherry on top, for whatever reason I couldn't fathom how awesome it was to be driving around on the moon. That game was phenomenal to me.

Totally agree! I loved both these ideas!
meppi
Member
(06-07-2013, 12:30 PM)
meppi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Celine

Not sure about him but I surely appreciate your efforts :-)

Hehe. I know. :)

Originally Posted by Star Falcon

Ah, awesome work! I fondly remember several of those titles and recognise quite a few of the covers.

Bookmarked the page, would be a nice little nostalgic distraction for when i'm not supposed to be busy at work ;) cheers!

It's all created with a lot of love, so I hope you enjoy it. Don't forget to check out the catalogue section. ;)
I'm new be nice
Member
(06-07-2013, 12:38 PM)
I'm new be nice's Avatar

Originally Posted by Celine

N64 got the real Doom 3. Unfortunately many did the same, that's why the sequel was canned.

I just wanted to expand on this thought a bit, and while it's going to sound contradictory, I actually think the game deserved the fate it got. It's a great game for sure, but at the time retro-gaming was but a glint to most people, everyone had moved on to a new frontier in graphics, the game should have attempted 3D models. When you have "64" stuck to a title you expected polygons, at least I did.

Looking at it now a decade or so later it's easy to appreciate it, but I think it's important to remember the time it was released, the expectations people had, we shouldn't be so lenient towards the game if we look at it as a Nintendo 64 game. But as a Doom game, as a Doom game we can appreciate it on the appropriate level, if that makes sense.
Star Falcon
Member
(06-07-2013, 12:46 PM)
Star Falcon's Avatar
On the topic of Doom 64:

It wasn't an amazing game IMO, below par compared to Turok let alone Goldeneye. Like another poster above me said, the graphics weren't really fitting of the expectations on the N64, and when you had games like Quake making decent ports across then i think Doom 64 fell behind fast.

Though the intro sequence remains one of my favourites - definitely check this out if you aren't familiar with it.
-KRS-
Member
(06-07-2013, 12:58 PM)
-KRS-'s Avatar
Ahahaaa another thread. This is not good for my wallet.

Oh well, finally the N64 got it's own thread. Totally deserved. Subscribed!
JakeD
Member
(06-07-2013, 01:23 PM)
JakeD's Avatar
i sold or gave away most of my games, and have been slowly rebuilding my collection via ebay/amazon. i still have my n64 hooked up to my 52" lcd:

Mario Kart 64
Super Mario 64
Rayman 2
SW: Shadows Of The Empire
Blast Corps
Zelda: OoT gold

i've lost a few bidding wars for Mystical Ninja starring Goemon. i remember i was 14 and was so desperate for SSB, i convinced my mom to import me the japanese version from some sketchy magazine ad. by the time it came out in NA i had a 3 month jumpstart on everyone. it was awesome. i don't know what happened to it =(

Thread Tools