• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue II has duck racing in it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
wait, the pal dc version is worth hundreds? i picked it up years back and never played it. i am going to:

1. play that shit
2. race some ducks
3. sell the fuck out of it

drohne said:
wait, the pal dc version is worth hundreds? i picked it up years back and never played it. i am going to:

1. play that shit
2. race some ducks
You're some kind of Machiavellian genius aren't you?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
drohne said:

1. play that shit
2. race some ducks

oh shit, DC version? I thought it was the Xbox version that was prized. loft time

KTallguy

Banned
WTF, omg this is so goddamn awesome.
I'm literally floored.
I miss Shenmue :( :(

AND I can't believe the duck said "I'm gonna kick some ass!"
Localizers having fun lol

I can't believe there are people who love Shenmue II and DIDN'T know about this!

Best game ever.

The music was always so charming doing the duck races.

CiSTM

Banned
mrklaw said:
oh shit, DC version? I thought it was the Xbox version that was prized. loft time

Both goes for good price but PAL-version of Shenmue II will go higher with the orginal JP-audio track and whatnot.

CiSTM said:
Both goes for good price but PAL-version of Shenmue II will go higher with the orginal JP-audio track and whatnot.
Highest bid on ebay is for $50 not including the ridiculous buy it now prices.
I'm willing to part with a extra (PAL) copy I have sitting here.

d0g_bear

drohne said:

1. play that shit
2. race some ducks

wow, I bought the pal DC version on ebay about four years ago for 20 bucks. Actually I jut checked and someone is selling it for just 50.

Keep in mind you need a boot disc for NTSC consoles.

Cafeman

I'ts DUCK season!

That was amazing! (watching the youtube vid). I never knew about this!

I still have the DC Euro version, and the xbox port. never actually beat the xbox version but played around with it a lot, at first. Fond memories of playing the original 4-disc DC game back in the day.

Ryo catching a duck feather when aiming at the red leaves ... priceless. I would have flipped out had I accidentally stumbled upon this.

hiro4

Holy shit!
This makes me want to play Shenmue I and II all over again.
But then find every thing that can be found, guide or no guide.

SmokyDave

Find Dreamcast - Check.
Find Shenmue 2 - Check.
Find controller that isn't an arcade stick - Fail :(

I'll have to contend myself with chasing Chinner around.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
One of the biggest mistakes I've made gaming wise was never, ever importing the Euro version of Shenmue years and years ago. Looking at Ebay... see that there's a PAL copy going for $245 :l

A walked in to local gamestop in New Jersey and there was the import just sitting on a shelf. I had to buy it it. It must've been 70 dollars. Still one of my best videogame purchases.

RustyO

I really should try and give Shemue II another go... got a bit vexed at all the cutscenes every two steps... yeah, I'm probably exaggerating.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
One of the biggest mistakes I've made gaming wise was never, ever importing the Euro version of Shenmue years and years ago. Looking at Ebay... see that there's a PAL copy going for $245 :l

Wait, what? looks over at copy of Shenmue....

Omikaru

RustyO said:
I really should try and give Shemue II another go... got a bit vexed at all the cutscenes every two steps... yeah, I'm probably exaggerating.
I think that's a fair complaint for the opening section, as there are a lot of cutscenes and they're not short.

Not sure how far you got, but it does get better/more exciting.

Wired

Man, I really need to replay this some day can't describe how awesome I thought it was the first time I played through it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Is it recommended to try and track down a copy of the DC PAL version if I already have the Xbox version (which would be played on a 360)? I have yet to play #2 but was such a big big fan of the first game.

tim1138

I've owned Shenmue 2 for Xbox forever and never bothered to start it, that will change this weekend, now that I know you can race ducks.

Sega1991 said:
Your game's save data is fine. The battery is for playing minigames on the VMU when not plugged in to a Dreamcast controller. The battery on my official Sega VMU has been dead for close to a decade but it still remembers all my save data.
Is that why the VMU beeps every time I turn the Dreamcast on?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Tricky I Shadow said:
THIS! I mean really...what the hell guys? Did none of you ever browse Shenmue Dojo?
I stopped visiting that site after the umpteenth "SHENMUE 3 MOVES ON TO NEXT-GEN CONSOLES!" non-story.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This was one of the reasons I loved Izumi and had her as an avatar some years ago! She rocks! Duck racing rocks! Shenmue 2 rocks! Great ta see more people discovering this cute lil side-game!

Chinner said:
for some reason i have the phantasy star online music playing in my head. i think its combination and dreamcast nolstagia and insomnia that has brought it up.

also, quack.

Well apart from Shenmue, PSO did have the best music ever.

RustyO

Omikaru said:
RustyO said:

I think that's a fair complaint for the opening section, as there are a lot of cutscenes and they're not short.

Not sure how far you got, but it does get better/more exciting.

I will go back to it one day, but think I'll save it for a rainy Sunday or next time I'm sick.

drohne said:

1. play that shit
2. race some ducks

No, someone just overreacted to a seller's ridiculously high buy-it-now price on ebay for a brand new copy. Recent opened copies sold for between 50-70.

Sellers do this all the time when they have a game nearly no one else has. If they aren't desperate to sell it's wise to do because someone might get desperate and play the inflated price because no other options are available.

If someone put a new copy up for auction I imagine it'd go in the $130 range, just a guess. I'm kinda curious now to see what the next new, auctioned (non buy-it-now) copy goes for after reading the thread.

RustyO said:
I will go back to it one day, but think I'll save it for a rainy Sunday or next time I'm sick.

If you think that's bad, you probably haven't played Shenmue 1. Shenmue 2 is actually pretty streamlined.

Shenmue 1 literally puts you through what feels like about ten minutes of cutscenes at the opening and it's at least an hour before you get to your first QTE fight and probably three hours before an actual battle.

In comparison, Shenmue 2 more or less opens with multiple battles and QTEs within 10 minutes of stepping off the boat.

Top Bottom