• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU technical discussion (serious discussions welcome)

tipoo

Banned
That's...Huh. I guess 480 shaders is out of the question now? I don't have long to compare it to anything else. Looks like that eDRAM takes just under 1/4th of the entire die.

I'm confused as to how fixed-function is free. Its still die area taken up for less

It's not free of course, but often fixed function hardware can operate faster or in a smaller space than the programmable hardware that would be needed to recreate it. Like back when GPUs switched to unified, one pixel shader was faster than one unified shader, there were just more unified shaders.

ugoo18

Feel the need for this

tumblr_lwgus1Q4Td1qej6qno1_500.gif

ozfunghi

Looks like Wsippel was right when he discussing the possibillity of a highly customized chip, with lots of fixed functions and less programmable shaders. This was nearly a year ago i think?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Wsippel was right when he discussing the possibillity of a highly customized chip, with lots of fixed functions and less programmable shaders. This was nearly a year ago i think?

And BGassasin, but we all know that USC-fan was right stating that it was just an stock r700 with no changes whatsoever.

guek

Banned
And BGassasin, but we all know that USC-fan was right stating that it was just an stock r700 with no changes whatsoever.

Don't forget no gpgpu.

*cue rant about how we don't understand what he meant when he literally said no gpgpu*

ozfunghi

Wsippel came up with the theory, irc

Don't forget no gpgpu.

*cue rant about how we don't understand what he meant when he literally said no gpgpu*

Someone did a google search in this thread, but editted his post because Thractor asked not to get into the "he said/she said" game... but it was rather funny. The first post on the first page of google had the exact quote.

How many SIMDs do you see? if it's 4, that would be 320shaders, which would get you 352GFLOPs + Fixed functions, that isn't anything to sneeze at, compared to last gen it should blow it away.

Ahhhh! So now you lower your standards. Hopefuly the dream is dead and reality will set in.
tough pill for who? The haters, or the fans?
TAke a wild guess... Hint:
it concers you, you'll not be eased

AzaK

Poor BG, looks like he was a bit off with his 600Gflop guess :(.
He might still be right in real world term as who the hell knows how to measure the FF stuff? :)
How many SIMDs do you see? if it's 4, that would be 320shaders, which would get you 352GFLOPs + Fixed functions, that isn't anything to sneeze at, compared to last gen it should blow it away.
Depends if the FF ends up being Wii only but I'm guessing that'd be a pretty big waste.

BTW How do we know its not a standard looking die?

prag16

Banned
I can see the headlines now ;) -

"WiiU has a 200GFLOP GPU, WEAKER THAN PS360 CONFIRMED !!1!!!"

This is what I'm fully expecting. And nobody will remember how (as was just mantioned) how the Gamecube gave the xbox a run for it's money in most cases working with less than 40% of the FLOPS.

schadenfreude only goes so far, Refreshment.01. Don't hate us for our 800gflop dream ;_;
Ok man, im not happy if this is the case. Is just that what about the reasonable people? You know the ones that tried to get some disscussion going leaving fanatism and bias aside. Who cries for them? XD

2 years of speculation threads all stating that the Wii U will be a cross generational console all flushed down the drain. That must really hurt.

McHuj

That's what my guess has been in the past and it kind of looks like that on the die. I eagerly await the analysis.

nordique

I hope fourth storm et al are very careful with how they present the data.

Its going to set precedent on GAF and possibly the internet, when it might be very hard to gauge how powerful exactly the GPU will be with "a large amount of customization"

I have to ask, is there really a need for a new thread ?.

If the news if good it will die within 5 pages and if news is bad all it is going to lead to is 20+ pages of people arguing with more than likely a few of the regulars from this thread being banned...

Everyone who is interested in the WiiU hardware is already posting in here imo.

AzaK

We've gone way of topic guys. Maybe we should get back on. Someone can make a 'HAHA Wii U is less powerful than a 6502' thread and have their fun there.

I have to ask, is there really a need for a new thread ?.

If the news if good it will die within 5 pages and if news is bad all it is going to lead to is 20+ pages of people arguing with more than likely a few of the regulars from this thread being banned...

Everyone who is interested in the WiiU hardware is already posting in here imo.

I agree with you but your post will likely be in vain as neogaf errs on the side of sensationalism.

This is what I'm fully expecting. And nobody will remember how (as was just mantioned) how the Gamecube gave the xbox a run for it's money in most cases working with less than 40% of the FLOPS.
Depending on what is attempted that 40% can be a huge gulf.

You had to hijack the CPU and hamstring the system to pull off one thing the Xbox could do easily. Dot3 precision bump-maps.

If simple EMBM or emboss are what was needed the GCN would probably achieve it quicker, with a negligible hit to the system. But any time you wanted the bump-mapping that set apart Xbox titles you were just about SoL.

z0m3le

Banned
old expection: 400-550GFLOPs
new expection: 352GFLOPs + fixed function shaders

I'm actually more happy with the later as fixed function shaders will allow it to have free lighting and still have 352GFLOPs for games. hardly lowering the goal posts.

USC-fan

Banned

Don't forget no gpgpu.

I was just thinking about THAT. LOL Oh man this just crushed those gpgpu dreams. Man you guys dont even know yet!!!

lol /scott tenorman must die.gif

tipoo

Banned
2 years of speculation threads all stating that the Wii U will be a cross generational console all flushed down the drain. That must really hurt.

Meaning? Its shaders are still more advanced than the previous gen, even if there aren't so many as we would have liked.

Although this does make me wonder, with seemingly so little to work with, how much could GPGPU work really help? A full 4870 would struggle with GPGPU while doing 3D work, let alone something cut down.

I'm actually more happy with the later as fixed function shaders will allow it to have free lighting and still have 352GFLOPs for games. hardly lowering the goal posts.

And we know this how? I read the rumor months back that there was some free lighting tech in there, but do we *know*?

old expection: 400-550GFLOPs
new expection: 352GFLOPs + fixed function shaders

Yea, now it's about magical custom and fixed function hardware XD

PS: Im really sorry, my apologies to you and others that might be offended. But this is just too rich to pass by.

Roo

Over five official speculation threads, + 100,000 replies
hundreds of bans, hype, meltdowns, tears, joy and frustration will resume in a single thread

It WAS worth it :p

z0m3le

Banned
Meaning? Its shaders are still more advanced than the previous gen, even if there aren't so many as we would have liked.

Although this does make me wonder, with seemingly so little to work with, how much could GPGPU work really help? A full 4870 would struggle with GPGPU while doing 3D work, let alone something cut down.

the biggest problem with HD 4000 series's GPGPU performance was memory, the 32MB edram would help a great deal with this.

Yea, now it's about custom and fixed function hardware XD

PS: Im really sorry, my apologies to you and others that might be offend. But is too rich to pas by.
well, if you look at my history i gave up on fixed function shaders in the wust up to a year ago... it being back is awesome. Also everyone's expectations had to go down, or do you not remember the 3TFLOP PS4/XB3 that was coming.

Top Bottom