• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 5 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
A person on the internet said that this show was like "Walking Dead without zombies" and thus bad, and now I don't want to live in this world anymore.

giga

The show is like The killing without the rain.
How dare you.

hrFn8.gif

The pass is up for season 5 on iTunes. This is for the US store, I'm not sure if the same internationally.
Question, if someone with a US account bought this, would he/she be able to log in to their account abroad and download the show and watch it? Aka, if my friend bought it would I be able to watch it from outside the states on that account?

turnbuckle

Not clicking the spoilered stuff

Oh god, I want to click so bad. Sunday needs to get here quick

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I do not believe this has been posted yet- a heads up- the Washington Post review is the most spoiler-filled review I have seen. Nothing incredibly major IMO, but a lot more than the other reviews I have read.

Review round up:

I haven't read these to check them for spoilers, so read at your own risk. schuelma pointed out that The Washington Post review has spoilers.

- Slant Magazine: Mad Men: Season Five
"A Little Kiss" is ultimately a haunting character study that's slower and more melancholy than perhaps any episode of Mad Men that's preceded it.
- The Washington Post: ‘Mad Men’ returns, in living color *SPOILERS*
The show exasperates me, even bores me sometimes, and yet it is always difficult to look away. It’s my least favorite TV series that I never miss an episode of. If that makes sense.
- Denver Post: Change is in the air as "Mad Men" opens Season 5 with 2-hour show
Suffice it to say creator Matthew Weiner unspools enough story to keep fans hooked, immediately satisfying some curiosities and creating others.
- Mercury News: 'Mad Men' returns as intoxicating as ever
What hasn't changed is the quality of the endeavor. "Mad Men" remains a show that often feels more like literature than TV. The top-notch acting is still intact, as is the attention to aesthetic detail. So, after that excruciating delay, are we still in love with this show? Truly, deeply -- madly.
- NY Post: Joy of ‘Mad Men’ is wondering what’s next
It's the possibility of unlimited complications looming that make it so insanely riveting.

I do not believe this has been posted yet- a heads up- the Washington Post review is the most spoiler-filled review I have seen. Nothing incredibly major IMO, but a lot more than the other reviews I have read.
Thanks for the heads up.

- IndieWire / Press Play Video Series: Mad Men Moments
With the long-awaited premiere to Season Five imminent, Mad Men is on many a person's mind. For the next thirteen weeks, some may revel in a neverland of glamorous mid-60s living fraught with social strife; others may wonder what jaw-dropping, life-changing events await their favorite characters. But for us here at Press Play, it's about the moments. Moments that have us instantly rewinding our DVRs as soon as an episode is over, or poring over blog recaps all Monday long while real work lies unattended. Mad Men has yielded four seasons stuffed with such moments. We decided to produce a series of videos dedicated to spotlighting some of the best.

This was no easy task and involved a fair amount of deliberation in selecting four iconic moments to produce the video essays that are our specialty here at Press Play. We decided to pick just one moment from each of the previous four seasons that lent itself best to video essay treatment. What surprised us was how each selected moment organically led to distinctly different approaches in our analysis. Watch each video and see what we mean. If anything they will have you salivating for more from Matt Weiner, Jon Hamm & company.
Lots of videos via the link for anyone that's interested.

BFIB

Iconic moments?

Just watch the episode "The Suitcase". One of the finest hours of television I've ever had the pleasure to watch.

GAF, I feel like I like quality television: Breaking Bad, Deadwood, The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, etc. are among my favourite dramas, and similarly I enjoy what are generally considered good comedies (Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Always Sunny, Parks and Rec, Archer, etc.) so why the hell can't I get into this show :(

I've watched two seasons of it, and it's patently a quality production through and through. The acting is largely very good, the writing is excellent, the attention to detail throughout is commendable, and yet absolutely nothing about it keeps me engaged. Use some of your pent up, pre-season 5 excitement to sell me on this show!

BFIB

GAF, I feel like I like quality television: Breaking Bad, Deadwood, The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, etc. are among my favourite dramas, and similarly I enjoy what are generally considered good comedies (Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Always Sunny, Parks and Rec, Archer, etc.) so why the hell can't I get into this show :(

I've watched two seasons of it, and it's patently a quality production through and through. The acting is largely very good, the writing is excellent, the attention to detail throughout is commendable, and yet absolutely nothing about it keeps me engaged. Use some of your pent up, pre-season 5 excitement to sell me on this show!

Its surprising you're not a fan of the show, but are a fan of The Soproanos. They both have a "slow burn" feel to them that seems to put people off. I really didn't get "into" the show until I rewatched season one and started taking everything in.

And the lack of Justified in your list is disturbing.

You can't handle television shows without copious amounts of violence?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Did you watch those 2 seasons while they were airing, or afterwards on DVD/whatever? I've found that Mad Men is kind of hard to keep my attention on a week to week basis. I usually end up watching 2-4 episodes and then falling off. I always end up going back to the season after it has wrapped and burning through the whole thing in a sitting or two. I find it really gripping when watched in larger blocks.

You can't handle television shows without copious amounts of violence?

But...but...the lawnmower scene! Perhaps you're right: most of my favourite dramas have quite a bit of violence in them, but then again so do most good dramas, with the exception of period pieces (Downton Abbey) and family stories (Parenthood)

Just finished my rewatch of the entire series so far last night. I forgot how abrupt
Don's engagement to Megan
is at the end of S4. Can't wait til Sunday!

I would, but your first post in the thread was a weak stealth troll, basically just saying how much you liked Breaking Bad. (IIRC. Was that this thread?)

I'd say don't bother. Expending that much energy to slag it off means your time would probably be better spent watching something else.

amitaiwinehouse

Neo Member
I think Charlie Brooker's explanation of how to watch Mad Men is what made it finally 'click' for me. You don't sit forward and move into the world, you sit back and let it wash over you, soaking in the atmosphere. Once I did that, I finally 'got it'.

I think Charlie Brooker's explanation of how to watch Mad Men is what made it finally 'click' for me. You don't sit forward and move into the world, you sit back and let it wash over you, soaking in the atmosphere. Once I did that, I finally 'got it'.

my technique was just watching it straight up

just watching the shit out of it

More reviews. Might be some spoilers in these, so read at your own risk.

- LA Times: Like Don Draper, 'Mad Men' Season 5 is a work in progress
The mood is autumnal, which seems a strange word for a show set smack in the middle of the 1960s — though in the life cycle of the series, it's appropriate. Because even as "Mad Men" celebrates the fabrics and the furniture, the appliances and accouterments of the American midcentury, it is a story of the end of all that.

- NY Times: ‘Mad Men’ Opens its Fifth Season on AMC
The personalities on “Mad Men” don’t change, but the times do. At this point, the context may be more interesting than the characters.

- Kansas City Star: ‘Mad Men’ is back, and times have changed
And the maddening ambiguity that made “Mad Men” addictive is back, too: When there is a character I don’t know whether to love or hate, I can tell the people on the screen feel the same way.

- Boston Globe: For ‘Mad Men,’ change is in the air
Is it the beginning of a bright future or another path to self-destruction? After such a long wait, it feels like a luxury to have the whole season to find out just how a change is gonna come.

I would, but your first post in the thread was a weak stealth troll, basically just saying how much you liked Breaking Bad. (IIRC. Was that this thread?)

I'd say don't bother. Expending that much energy to slag it off means your time would probably be better spent watching something else.

Well aren't you a defensive one :) It wasn't a 'weak stealth troll', it was a straight up joke. I haven't slagged it off, and if you read the post which you quoted properly, you'll notice that I compliment the show quite thoroughly, I just say that I can't get my head round it. I hope you don't take everything so personally!

Well aren't you a defensive one :) It wasn't a 'weak stealth troll', it was a straight up joke. I haven't slagged it off, and if you read the post which you quoted properly, you'll notice that I compliment the show quite thoroughly, I just say that I can't get my head round it. I hope you don't take everything so personally!

I didn't take it personally. I didn't even respond to it until you posted the most recent request, which struck me as odd in contrast to your original "Breaking Bad is the best!" intro post to the thread.

Jrmint

I rewatched the Season 3 finale last night, which is one of the greatest episodes ever, and realized that other young creative guy got the axe at the new agency. I forget his name but he grew a beard for Seasons 2 and 3 and was a pretty big character along the lines of Kenny, and Harry. Anyone hear what happened to him?

I rewatched the Season 3 finale last night, which is one of the greatest episodes ever, and realized that other young creative guy got the axe at the new agency. I forget his name but he grew a beard for Seasons 2 and 3 and was a pretty big character along the lines of Kenny, and Harry. Anyone hear what happened to him?

Paul Kinsey? They decided to leave him behind when they left Sterling Cooper to start SCDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom