• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Baba: Namco in very early phases of Tales for PS4, no plans for Xbox titles

Soriku

http://www.gamingangels.com/2013/11...of-producer-hideo-baba-at-new-york-comic-con/

VB: Are there currently any Tales games in development for the Playstation 4? Will there ever be any plans to bring the series to X-Box One?

HB: Yes, we are currently in the very early phases of work for next generation Playstation titles! But we still have no plans to bring the series back to the X-Box, or X-Box One. We feel that our core fanbase leans toward the Playstation 3/Playstation 4, so we are focusing our efforts on bringing the best possible Tales experience there!

This is a step up from him saying that there were no next gen plans at all some months ago. Of course while they get a PS4 title ready, there'll be at least another PS3 game in the mean time...hopefully revealed soon.

Edit: lol this site updated its interview.

VB: Are there currently any Tales games in development for the Playstation 4? Will there ever be any plans to bring the series to X-Box One?

HB: We are looking forward to developing for the next generation consoles, but we currently do not have anything in development at this time. I think we would like to focus our efforts on the Playstation 4 again, but we have no updates or news for you in regards to that at this time!

Astarte

Don't worry guys, the japan xbone still has idolm-Infinite undiscovery.
Though I wonder what Microsoft has up their sleeve to push their console in the land of the rising Son(y).

LQX

Japanese pubs already putting all there eggs in one basket, but it is in Sony favor so there will not be much uproar.

Don't worry guys, the japan xbone still has idolm-Infinite undiscovery.
Though I wonder what Microsoft has up their sleeve to push their console in the land of the rising Son(y).

Honestly if the launch in the west goes slow for them I don't see them doing any real push in Japan.

i feel like this pretty much means the 2015 tales game will be cross gen. probably not until 2017 before ps3 is dropped.

curious what this means though. a next gen tales game would mean it has current gen textures lol.

still find it hilarious that xillia doesn't look that much better than graces f which was a wii port... and it also ran noticeably worse.

That's a shame no Xbox version. Did Vesperia sell that bad?

Tales has never been incredibly popular in the U.S. or U.K. and Japan doesn't even seem to be on the radar for Microsoft. It wouldn't make sense for them to release one for the XBone.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Japanese pubs already putting all there eggs in one basket, but it is in Sony favor so there will not be much uproar.
cheryl_cole_okay.gif

That's a shame no Xbox version. Did Vesperia sell that bad?

When it comes to JRPGS, honestly XB is a console you can just ignore. FF13 did aight but that was mostly because of PS3's fuck up. I don't think XB1 is dooooooooomed but the audience who is interested JRPGS aren't on XBOX and it'll be even worse next gen. It wouldn't surprise me if Square is the only company that puts out JRPGs on the box next gen and I'll bet money they won't sell shit, even in the west.

Thorgal

So one last dance for PS3 and then on to next gen.

i can live with that.

Also People can at least rest easy knowing that one beloved franchise will not become Handheld / smartphone exclusive . :)

Why would anyone get upset? They tried the 360, then a PS3 version came out a year later and outsold that one. They tried the Wii, and once again a PS3 version came out a year later and outsold it. They're just acknowledging where their fanbase is. No reason for them to ignore it.

Eusis

Watch it look like a high quality PS2 title with decent AA and some depth of field thrown in.
A 1080p PS2+ title would be pretty OK in my book honestly. Doubly so if they hit 60 FPS all the time, but I kind of expect they'll either arbitrarily cap it outside of battles (... where it matters most gameplay wise admittedly) or add some effects or even go with sheer scope that won't be 60 FPS friendly.

I'm not surprised really, it's generally smartest to wait and see but it's pretty clear right now that the Xbox One will have less traction than the PS4 globally, and even if that changes course the odds of the same happening in Japan are that much lower. And should Xbox One be a true dark horse in Japan it's probably easier next gen to port over than this gen despite the greater technical gulf in practice.

This seems unnecessarily salty for what is purely a business decision.

On topic: I'm so ready for next gen Tales. I was quite envious of PS3 owners this gen; games like Xilia pushed me to pick up a PS4.

darkwing

Why would anyone get upset? They tried the 360, then a PS3 version came out a year later and outsold that one. They tried the Wii, and once again a PS3 version came out a year later and outsold it. They're just acknowledging where their fanbase is. No reason for them to ignore it.

basically this

I'm still pissed that MS' exclusivity prevented the PS3 version of Vesperia from coming over, so I'm glad that won't be any issue. Didn't Vesperia sell more on the first week on PS3 than the 360 version did in it's lifetime? I imported it anyways, but man, wish it had an official release

WalkMan

Banned
Yay, seeing as the PS4 is here we can also expect Atlus to begin PS3 development.

I think in the past the developers only ever bothered developing for 360 just to reach the western audience. It'd be interesting if they don't even bother with Xbone at all and hope PS4 is enough to reach their western goals.

Top Bottom