• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity V (2013, EA/Maxis) - screens/artwork [Up: Details, Should Be More March 6th]

Wishful thinking. EA is going to put their grubby paws on it, lock away portions to resell later on as DLC.

We all know it's going to happen, I just don't think anyone has said it yet.

A modable game would go against their idea of DLC.

For this sort of game, I see EA taking the Sims route and allowing people to create buildings and content to upload to a database for people to download as microtransactions.

Brinbe

Xo3z5.gif

WOOO

I was thinking about how there should be a new Sim City game yesterday.

So either I can predict the future, or I can choose the destiny of humanity.

You jelly, GAF?

Berordn

They're merged back in.

Maxis is a full label now.

Did they? I completely missed that. That makes it just like old times, except for the part where the expansion packs aren't worthwhile and we buy everything through microtransactions.

Could be worse, I guess.

Yen

Sim City-GAF help me out: I played a lot of Sim City back when I was a kid but don't know which Sim City it was! All I remember is it was released in 1994, on the PC and in colour.
Every old SC was ported to about 20 different platforms so wiki doesn't really help.

gillty

Banned
Sim City-GAF help me out: I played a lot of Sim City back when I was a kid but don't know which Sim City it was! All I remember is it was released in 1994, on the PC and in colour.
Every old SC was ported to about 20 different platforms so wiki doesn't really help.

TedNindo

I'm guessing Sim City 2000.

Yen

Thanks guys, that seems to be it, though I remember the interface being a bit different, it has been 10+ years since I've played it however.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've waited years for a fully 3D Sim City game, it's one of the very few sim games I like.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The first thing I did was ctrl + F the opening post and type "facebook". No results, wonderful. I have waited many years for this.

I'm getting a craving for some SimCity right now, gorghugh.

I'm also getting a craving for the civilization phase of Spore for some reason.

Sober

Will SC5 really be Origin-exclusive? From the most recent titles it feels more like it's aimed at the core gamer crowd who doesn't really care too much about running a client. Or they could use the wider appeal to boost their numbers. I dunno.

Also, I dread that it's going to be in full (more or less) 3D, because that will just kill modding. Part of the appeal of modding in SC4 is that only the terrain was 3D and the lots were mostly just sprites with 4 different faces (for camera rotation) and possibly night lights. That meant that modders could actually put large amounts of detail into their lots because in the end the polygon count and texture sizes wouldn't matter. This is clearly different if the game is going to use full 3D buildings, possibly with greater camera control.

But I am still excited but I hope they do right by the modding community especially who do fantastic work. Too bad they happen to be jerks about it.

The Giant

Banned
I hope this comes out on mac or wii u. Only ever played sim city on the snes and simcity 2000 during primary school.

This thread presumably given it's going up at like 10-20K views an hour.

We're getting linked to on the major sites/blogs.

The best news though is that the server is working.

Maybe because all of us aren't trying to post at the same time as the guests are viewing? (like during E3)

sp3000

I really hope this isn't dumbed down so it works with a controller. I honestly don't get how you would be able to play it properly on a console, unless it's a Wii U

Of course, it probably will be. I really doubt it will be anywhere near as complex as Simcity 3000 or 4.

Lothars

I am really excited for this game, Always have a special place in my heart for the Sim City Franchise, I would love a new Sim Copter though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I really hope this isn't dumbed down so it works with a controller. I honestly don't get how you would be able to play it properly on a console, unless it's a Wii U

Of course, it probably will be. I really doubt it will be anywhere near as complex as Simcity 3000 or 4.

I'm not too worried about it. Hopefully they develop a separate, CivRev-esque port for the console kiddies, rather than trying to create "parity" between the platforms. That way everyone can be happy!

Oh god...memories of all those hours in 2000 and 3000 combined, rushing back.

Sure, I always used the "gain more money" cheats, but I made some pretty slick cities.

Never played 4000. How much of an improvement was it over 3000?

TekDragon

Banned
After trying Cities XL 2011 and 2012, I have a hard time going back to any of the Sim Cities.

We'll see if Maxis can retake the crown.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
This thread presumably given it's going up at like 10-20K views an hour.

We're getting linked to on the major sites/blogs.

The best news though is that the server is working.

reddit has this on the front page(or did at least)

fuck BF3, I'll upgrade my PC for this

artist

Banned
Guys he said the "previous two".

I certainly couldn't see something of SimCity 4's complexity working well on a console.

God I want to play some SimCity 4 now. Little chance of V living up to it.
Shut up your whore mouth and go back to playing W2.

Theonik

And I was wondering what those 503s were all about.
The resulting news were better than I could imagine.
GET HYPE!

Oh god...memories of all those hours in 2000 and 3000 combined, rushing back.

Sure, I always used the "gain more money" cheats, but I made some pretty slick cities.

Never played 4000. How much of an improvement was it over 3000?

I was so young/stupid back then and from a none english speaking country so many hours spend trial and error. Hell it took a while to discover how those color tiles worked(industry,commercial and apartments). And had spend like a week and then discovered how to sell electricity and water to neighbor cities.

Sober

I'm not too worried about it. Hopefully they develop a separate, CivRev-esque port for the console kiddies, rather than trying to create "parity" between the platforms. That way everyone can be happy!
For starters you could always pause the game. Also, multiplat is okay as long as they can keep the simulation engine the same, because at least they can make menu navigation not suck (it gets real bad when you throw in mods in SC4, you can't really put any extra things anywhere useful)

Aselith

Excite! Game looks really nice. Looks like they're going for an architect/city planner model look. It looks really slick.

Top Bottom