• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mythology fans: Xerneas and Yveltal are from Norse mythology? (Pokemon XY)

MrYggdrasil

Neo Member
Whoa, I jus realized how appropriate your username is to this conversation, lol. :)

Hahaha, indeed.

I'd love for Xerneas to be a Rock-type legendary. Goes with the anti-air idea I had, and fits the gemstone-in-antler motif, and the predominantly black color scheme, and the idea of something along the X-axis (although so would Ground).

I'd really like Yveltal to be either pure Flying, or better yet Fighting/Flying. But I honestly have no idea what they'll end up being. Their designs stay awesome, regardless. :)

The problem I see with that reasoning is that, ok, Xerneas being a Ground or Rock type and Yveltal being a Flying type would fit the X and Y axis neatly... but what about the Z legendary? What type would fit the depth dimension?

Neiteio

The problem I see with that reasoning is that, ok, Xerneas being a Ground or Rock type and Yveltal being a Flying type would fit the X and Y axis neatly... but what about the Z legendary? What type would fit the depth dimension?
Part Water to represent depth? (Although I really want a Dragon/Poison-type)

Neiteio

But if the Y axis represents altitude, the depth that represents water is just a minus position in the Y axis. At least, that's how I see it.
Sure, but intuitively water feels like a good depth analogue in the sense it's filled with stuff.

EDIT: Just saw Linkratos' amended guesses -- Xerneas, Rock/Psychic; Yveltal, Dark/Flying. I like how these counter each others' types. Very cool.

injurai

Banned
Probably will be water / poison since its a snake type thing.

Edit: New official guess for X - Rock/Psychic

Y - Flying/Dark

Those counters work really well with the predictions of

Fennekin - Fire/Psychic
Froakie - Water/Fighting
Chespin - Grass/Dark

Those counters work really well with the predictions of

Fennekin - Fire/Psychic
Froakie - Water/Fighting
Chespin - Grass/Dark
That was my thinking, and it just seems like a fit for both of them. Psychic Rock seems pretty
mystical, and Y seems like a cousin of Lugia so dark flying would make sense.

Of course we're probably giving the creators too much credit, the starters will probably be single types and the legendaries will all be part dragon.

Neiteio

D'aww:

tumblr_inline_mgg2fzIrnd1qeyssh.png

papercamm

On the subject of the mysterious Z Pokemon... How much is it going to resemble and actual Z? Xerneas could do it if it stood with its legs out, and Yveltal is a giant flying Y already.

Neiteio

On the subject of the mysterious Z Pokemon... How much is it going to resemble and actual Z? Xerneas could do it if it stood with its legs out, and Yveltal is a giant flying Y already.
If the trio follows Norse mythology, then the third legenadary is the third figure in the legend of the stag and the eagle -- namely, the serpent at the bottom of Yggdrasil. And as a snake, it could bend its body to resemble a Z. :)

Neiteio

I'm guessing it will be some serpentine dragon that contorts its body one way on the ground and arcs its upper half as it rears up. Thus forming a Z shape, while tracing that axis with its body. It'd be cool if it were wrapped in tree roots, speaking to the legend of how the serpent is trapped in the roots of Yggdrasil. Kind of like how Xerneas has all four colored gemstones of the Stags of Yggdrasil.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wonder how people pronounce their names.

It should be cobalION (accent at the last syllable a la French) rather than coBALion.

And go blame XY hype thread for the Joltiks

Neiteio

I wonder how people pronounce their names.

It should be cobalION (accent at the last syllable a la French) rather than coBALion.

And go blame XY hype thread for the Joltiks
I couldn't relate to the furry fetish, but fuzzling in Joltiks? AW YEA SON.

Also, Pokedex 3D Pro has name pronunciations for all 649 Pokemon.

Neiteio

Thinking back to Gen III, they had six Pokemon from Hebrew legend: Groudon (Behemoth), Kyogre (Leviathan), Rayquaza (Ziz), and Regirock, Regice and Registeel (Golems). So maybe we can hope for six Norse Pokemon, assuming we're on the right trail here.

Neiteio

Gah, now I'm kind of liking Xerneas more, after a week-long Yveltal love-fest.

They're both so cool. WHY MUST THEY BOTH BE SO COOL?

papercamm

It was also noted in the XY mega-thread that there is a DNA symbol in the Japanese logos for the games, which may reference X and Y chromosomes -- and among the animals to have a Z chromosome is the sea snake: perfect for the Norse legendary, as well.

Gah, now I'm kind of liking Xerneas more, after a week-long Yveltal love-fest.

They're both so cool. WHY MUST THEY BOTH BE SO COOL?
So that YOU get both versions.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wouldn't it be cool if Xerneas is a dude (despite being in X) and Yveltal is a girl (despite being a Y) and you can breed them to get a third legendary?

Slermy

Wouldn't it be cool if Xerneas is a dude (despite being in X) and Yveltal is a girl (despite being a Y) and you can breed them to get a third legendary?

Legendaries are (always?) genderless. Would never happen.

Nevermind, there was that one you could breed to get an egg in Diamond/Pearl.

Top Bottom