• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Updates to GeForce Expereince 3.0 - New UI and Features

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay, so the answer to my question is "eXtreme marketing to people who voluntarily pay money for windows in their cases and RGB LEDs on their keyboard", but why are driver programs not built using the standard Windows UI widgets? Why do they always have a bunch of custom chrome sitting on top of them? I figured "new UI" would mean "We use the operating system's UI".

Coonce

I updated to this yesterday, thinking shadowplay would get better features.

more than one audio source, just more.. options? I guess.

I was wrong, it's all the same, and when you start recording it starts a pop up that ruins my framerate for a second or two.

The UI looks nice, but overall the program seems buggy - menus becoming non responsive, it crashed on me twice.

I should mention I'm on windows 10 64 bit.

A bit disappointing, because I like how easy shadowplay is to setup and use, I just wish it had a bigger toolset. Back to OBS?

Anyone else experiencing problems?

MUnited83

For you.
I updated to this yesterday, thinking shadowplay would get better features.

more than one audio source, just more.. options? I guess.

I was wrong, it's all the same, and when you start recording it starts a pop up that ruins my framerate for a second or two.

The UI looks nice, but overall the program seems buggy - menus becoming non responsive, it crashed on me twice.

I should mention I'm on windows 10 64 bit.

A bit disappointing, because I like how easy shadowplay is to setup and use, I just wish it had a bigger toolset. Back to OBS?

Anyone else experiencing problems?
The program itselft wasn't buggy for me but the in-game recording overlay was. A lot. I just went back to the previous version.

CryptiK

So now your hot key is restricted to 5 mins? Thats fucking stupid, I have to go into the menu to record the last 15 mins. Why did they fuck with that.

Parsnip

Yep. And the overlay is terrible. Very laggy.

Ugh, that blows.

Thankfully there are plenty of other Shadowplay-like options out there now.
I think Afterburner can do it too and use the nvenc encoder so at least in theory the impact on framerates should be as small as Shadowplay.

I should configure that.

9c60823bc5.png

Nvidia plz.

Coonce

Ugh, that blows.

Thankfully there are plenty of other Shadowplay-like options out there now.
I think Afterburner can do it too and use the nvenc encoder so at least in theory the impact on framerates should be as small as Shadowplay.

I should configure that.

Yeah I switched back over to afterburner as well. The framerate hit is a little more than shadowplay even with NVENC codec on, but it's so much more option heavy.

I'm waiting for OBS studio to get buffer support so I can get even more flexible with settings.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Wonder if they fixed the file format to make it Youtube-friendly yet... so far my uploads have given a message about speeding things up by using a streamable file format. I guess it's possible to fix the files by running a utility to add the header info, but I never got around to sorting out my Python setup enough to get it to run.

Korezo

What is the windows desktop version of that like? I keep getting put off when their own website says it's not as advanced as the other versions. Also does it do shadowplay?

Idk, I've only used moonlight on my iPhone to remote-play sometimes. I hope this update didn't break it.

nataku

I don't know if it's this program or my brand new 1070 dying, but I'm getting weird graphical corruption in FO4 which eventually causes a CTD ever since installing this. I had it happen three times in a row, within 5-15 minutes of starting the game up. I uninstalled this and played for a bit without issue. Re-installed this, and the corruption and crashing comes back.

It's mostly the screen flashing white for a split second. As if I cranked up the brightness for a couple frames then turned it back to normal. This eventually leads to some model or environment distortion, like you'd get with a dying GPU. Usually re-producible, too. I can run around in the area I got the brightness glitch at and it will eventually crash in that area.

The only thing that's changed is upgrading this program. I'll need to play longer after uninstalling this to make sure I guess, but I really hope it's not my GPU.

Ugh, I decided to update and just get it over with. It runs you through a process where it tries to scan your games. I aborted it, but it got a few before it failed. Even after I removed all the folders to search it was still finding games. I went and deleted the files it uses in appdata and edited the xml to turn off auto scan. I absolutely do not want it knowing where any of my games are because I don't want it touching them. After all that it no longer knows I have any games. A waste of 30 minutes of my life. You should be able to opt out of that.

Could you please post how exactly you did that? :eek:

My favorite new feature is the totally convenient and not intrusive notifications you can't disable when the "share"/shadowplay stuff is on.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The only reason I ever use Geforce Experience is for Shadowplay, which I do use sometimes. If I didn't need GE for it, I'd never use it.

Windows 10 DVR recording? Or does that give too many issues?

Unai

How do I choose where my screenshots are going to be saved? I found the video settings, but not the image ones.

Okay, so the answer to my question is "eXtreme marketing to people who voluntarily pay money for windows in their cases and RGB LEDs on their keyboard", but why are driver programs not built using the standard Windows UI widgets? Why do they always have a bunch of custom chrome sitting on top of them? I figured "new UI" would mean "We use the operating system's UI".
Metro's overrated.

TitusTroy

a few months back I thought Nvidia stated that GFE would be bundled with new drivers with no option to not install it...I'm glad they changed their mind on this...I always do a Custom install and only install the drivers and PhysX

Do we have to update to this version of GFE during a driver update? Or are the old installers still compatible with the latest drivers? The beta for this "modern" version fucked up my Shadowplay and gave me BSODs, so I'd rather not deal with it.

Come to think of it, Shadowplay is the only reason I use GFE. Are there any lighter alternatives for retroactive game capture?

Levyne

Banned
Do we have to update to this version of GFE during a driver update? Or are the old installers still compatible with the latest drivers? The beta for this "modern" version fucked up my Shadowplay and gave me BSODs, so I'd rather not deal with it.

Come to think of it, Shadowplay is the only reason I use GFE. Are there any lighter alternatives for retroactive game capture?

OBS has a shadow mode but I haven't tried it out. (Replay buffer).

Sini

Oh fuck sake. It's still as garbage as it was in beta. Ugh
Does Nvidia only have only like two people working on this?

I'm really liking this new version. Runs much faster than before and I've been on betas so I'm used to the share overlay which works well.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Started getting blue screens within a few seconds of seeing the desktop after installing this. It had been fine on the 372.70 driver before. After 20 reboots or so I lucked out and got far enough to uninstall GeForce Experience, and now the system is stable again, still on 372.70. Titan X Pascal, Windows 10 64 bit.

Based on the timing, it seems like it might have been fighting with Steam somehow. I have a Steam controller connected, so that might have been it too.

(PS Microsoft, F8 doesn't work for safe mode any more with fast storage, lol)

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I had the beta and this seems worse, and the beta was already really buggy for me. I still can't turn off auto-record, and every time I try to do any of the other features it says "You must turn off auto-record first", in which, I can't. Settings aren't saving and half the buttons are broken, not activating when you click them.

I wish.

Modern programs are going heavily for the "we are our own service" aspect. Which is pretty annoying tbh.

I don't want to launch my games from an Nvidia application, no thanks NV.

Dartastic

Any Windows 10 users having issues streaming to Twitch? It keeps telling me to go to Preferences > Privacy Control and turn on Desktop Capture but I can't seem to find that setting?

Wait a minute, did they get rid of the ability to customize my GPU RGB settings all together? I mean they where crap before but I thought they would have added more options at release not can the whole thing... They where my only hope to customize my RGB lights on my 1080 FTW to something other than blue as I can't stand using Precision X compared to afterburner...

Please tell me I'm just not looking in the right place. Or I'm not thinking about the right thing...

jose1

I have never liked Geforce experience. It used to BSOD my PC in the middle of updating my driver, and took forever to open. Hopefully this version is better.

Wallach

The new UI is wack. In particular the "share" settings screen is bizarre as fuck; you click "share" at the top right then you get some weird fucking overlay on the screen instead of just putting these in the UI of the program I already had open. What the fuck. It took me a while to even find these settings to begin with.

???????????

Yeah, exactly. To find this shit you have to click the "share" button next to the gear icon (where you'd expect to find this shit), then click the gear icon in that overlay to find the other settings. Clownshoesery.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Uninstalled it because I couldn't figure out how to remove the refresh and microphone icons at the bottom right of the screen. I don't want to stream Nvidia, why the fuck are you forcing it on me?

jediyoshi

Uninstalled it because I couldn't figure out how to remove the refresh and microphone icons at the bottom right of the screen. I don't want to stream Nvidia, why the fuck are you forcing it on me?
those don't have to do with streaming, they're notifying that you're doing some kind of recording. you could disable them in the overlay or just not record.

Piece of shit also messes about with game keybinds now. Normally, you use alt as a modifier in GTA V to access the video capture controls (e.g. alt+f3). But with share enabled, you can't use the alt modifier. You have to press, say, f3 to capture clips, which interferes with trainer keybinds. Good fucking work, Nvidia.

Vuze

Piece of shit also messes about with game keybinds now. Normally, you use alt as a modifier in GTA V to access the video capture controls (e.g. alt+f3). But with share enabled, you can't use the alt modifier. You have to press, say, f3 to capture clips, which interferes with trainer keybinds. Good fucking work, Nvidia.
Did you try rebinding the keys in the overlay?
I can bind them to, say, Ctrl+M to open Share. Same for all other Alt modifier hotkeys from Share. I too had to rebind a key since Alt+Z (default for opening Share, atleast it was at some point) is "Undo" in German Windows apps. Probably sth to do with QWERTY/QWERTZ layout.
Rather annoying when doing Photoshop work or anything basically haha. Haven't tested with games, but rebinding it to Alt+Y works fine here.

As for the new GFE, it works fine for me. Have been beta-testing it for a few months and haven't run into any issues. It's stupid they don't use proper scaling for i.e. 4K displays though as I recently discovered when plugging the PC into a 4K output. Looks pixelated as fuck. You'd think as the vendor of the highest end GPUs right now they'd think about that.

Sini

There's one thing they actually fixed from beta to final and that's deleting hotkeys. Just press backspace while binding a key to delete it altogether.
They don't let you delete the overlay bind though, but I worked around by just giving it a ridiculous key combination that I will never hit.

Top Bottom