• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos54

And bacon. Bacon makes everything better.

Nintendo should offer Wii U with a free year's supply of bacon. They wouldn't be able to keep the things on shelves.
This is the best idea I've ever heard. Although they would need a veggie option otherwise Sony/MS have the chance to take that market when they arrive.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Can you detect the slight bias in IGN's Gaming Survey?

Which of the following advanced gaming technologies do you own and use?

Motion Controls

PlayStation Move
Kinect
Wii Waggle

NeoGohan

Banned
A free online service with user-based accounts, in which 3rd parties have freedom to do (and sell) whatever they need, on hardware with plenty of communication options available to them is a great start. For Nintendo's part, it's really just a matter of including adequate friend list management, and maybe an achievements/trophies system. Anything beyond that, such as video chat or streaming your game sessions, would be icing on the cake.

http://youtu.be/4e3qaPg_keg?t=2m17s

;)

and just for the lulz I'll repost nibel's mock up:

Wii_U_System_Menu.jpeg

really is a good starting point. Info available at a glance, as it should be, and it's simple and clean. I don't think it's perfect though, it's a bit off, but it's close.

Do you have a copy of the DRC home screen mockups that were made at the same time as this one?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Nibel's mock-up is very good.
You've got HDTV to play with now Nintendo, you can fit a lot more on screen. No one should have to scroll or click on anything in order to see important information after they boot up the system, and all the commonly used functions of the OS should be available in one click.

Only thing 3DS UI needs is folders.

And bacon. Bacon makes everything better.

Nintendo should offer Wii U with a free year's supply of bacon. They wouldn't be able to keep the things on shelves.

BurntPork

…I see you have a bit of bias here. :p

You're just trying to take over the world with your tasty piggy minions.

Yes. You're a casual menu user. I'm hardcore. >_>

Hey, don't call me casual! I'm as hardcore as they get. I play some heavy metal while i go through that menu, shit gets real. Then I press Pushmo and play that with heavy metal on. Once I get Resident Evil: Revelations, I'll play that with some serious and moody K-pop...just to you know..set the mood, of happiness.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'm biting my tongue so damn hard right now. Can't say what I really think.

Actually, I think as many of Nintendo-GAF should fill it in as possible.

You just know the survey results will reveal that nobody's interested in the Wii U and it should sell for $1.99 or less.

Actually, I think as many of Nintendo-GAF ought to fill it in as possible. You just know the survey results will reveal that nobody's interested in the Wii U and it should sell for $1.99 or less.

You're expecting the Wii U to sell at $1.99, that's a little to much don't you think? $0.99 or Nintendo am doomed.

BurntPork

Banned
Seriously, though, Nintendo needs to sign a deal with an external HDD manufacturer to give a coupon for one with each Wii U and prominently display it on the box, solving the storage problem while keeping one SKU and not forcing people who don't need it to pay more.

Bagu

Seriously, though, Nintendo needs to sign a deal with an external HDD manufacturer to give a coupon for one with each Wii U and prominently display it on the box, solving the storage problem while keeping one SKU and not forcing people who don't need it to pay more.

Any suggestions for a good brand?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

With the way those prices have skyrocketed since the floods, there's no way that should happen.

You made me do work. :| (whole page version)

wii-uosg6kor.png

There were other, better controller mockups, though. Probably looking around near the above-linked page would result in finding them.

Azure J

I'm actually very interested in hearing what a few more regulars (*looks at HylianTom*) have to say about my post last page regarding fostering new developers into roles of prominence.

@Krev: I feel like it would have worked on Wii if the system had the ability to get the AAA games (ironically) and Nintendo didn't adopt a "here's games, go wild *exasperated* yaaay" approach to content that wasn't from the big names. They needed a generation of this in order to get the audience then transition into a slow appreciation of the "not as mainstream" games that Nintendo could rely on over time.

I wonder if I worded this correctly.

With the way those prices have skyrocketed since the floods, there's no way that should happen.

For what it's worth, a coworker has been monitoring the prices for the last several months, and he pointed out that there was a tremendous drop in consumer hard drive prices in the last week or so.

More archæology:

Also, haha:

bgassassin said:
Shout out to all of those old enough to remember when Nintendo was a 3rd party developer.

I can't believe that I was actually almost ten years old when Nintendo stopped being primarily a third party dev house. This never occurred to me, and it makes me feel mighty.

I don't understand why F-Zero is regarded as a niche franchise.

Good graphics, great racing and - best of all - bump killing your rivals, if this was done right with a big ass online infrastructure and 30 players online, it could very well become a phenomenon among the audience Nintendo is trying to court.

Oddduck

I don't understand why F-Zero is regarded as a niche franchise.

Good graphics, great racing and - best of all - bump killing your rivals, if done right with a big ass online infrastructure and 30 players online. That would be amazing and could very well become a phenomenon among the audience Nintendo is trying to court.

Yeah I mean, I don't see why FZero would be less popular than a series like Wipeout, which Sony still supports.

HylianTom

Banned
Actually, I think as many of Nintendo-GAF should fill it in as possible.

You just know the survey results will reveal that nobody's interested in the Wii U and it should sell for $1.99 or less.

But I hate IGN with a passion and don't want to give them clicks for this kind of shit..

HylianTom

Banned
I have said for the longest time that Nintendo should try to snap up middleweight developers that don't have either the numbers or monetary grunt necessary to make a regular presence for themselves in both hemispheres. They could be fostered into teams that show the potential for Nintendo like quality or design sensibilities and used to create a greater portfolio of games in the areas Nintendo hasn't explored traditionally or just to compliment the stuff they've traditionally been strong in. I know I'd prefer a system with a library full of Dreamcast era Sega like quirkiness versus a box with just "AAAA sequels the revengening" just because they have to be there.

Edit: The best part about such a setup is Nintendo would essentially be cultivating the next generation of game design and name recognition if done correctly. Who needs modern Cacpcom bogged down by poor business practice and upper management ruining things for the developers who just want to make games when you could foster a "neo Capcom" from its infancy and give them incentive (job security, promotion, etc.) to remain on good terms with you?

*Note: Capcom is just an example here, but you get the idea I hope.

I'd be all about that. Even if they were just third-party partnerships for x number of titles over y number of years, I'd love to see more collaboration of this sort. It would be an invaluable chance for up-and-coming developers to learn The Nintendo Way of gamemaking, it'd be good PR for other third parties to see happening, etc. Just as Nintendo captured the hearts and minds of gamers back in the 1980s and Microsoft did with developers in the 2000s, this should be Nintendo's decade to do so; they certainly have the resources at the moment.

Nibel, after briefly taking in thread feedback:

THIS ONE is godly. This is what I want. It's the best way to use touch screen + giant screen in a manner that is as functional as it is beautiful.

…except for the lack of folders. ;)

HylianTom

Banned
this is why I hardly ever visit that website in years

but they know what they are doing if it did not say waggle you would not have posted about it they want clicks anyway they can get it

The thing is, the other big sites aren't any better. Listening to their podcasts or watching any major roundtable discussion, Nintendo is either an afterthought or they're shat-upon. And I don't buy the whole "there's nothing to talk about" excuse - if several podcasts can fill-up an hour to talk Nintendo each and every week, they should be able to scrounge up some time for the marketshare leader.

But no..

I'll say this: I care not one whit about the fate of major gaming media. And here's where I resume biting my tongue. (had to say something.. I was beginning to taste blood)

Nibel, after briefly taking in thread feedback:

THIS ONE is godly. This is what I want. It's the best way to use touch screen + giant screen in a manner that is as functional as it is beautiful.

all of these are just setting me up for a let down... I'll just wait to see what Nintendo dishes out.

hope they use the stream theme

AzaK

Exactly how rich did you get?
I got a new type of rich called - UNRICH. A smart investor would have sold earlier, or at least when it tanked and moved into something lucrative. I didn't think Nintendo would stay so low for so long. At least I have my Apple stocks. Won't make same mistake there :)

You know, I don't know if I'd want to use the Subscreen for navigation. I like looking at the big TV. Maybe if they were swapped around? Detailed info on the Subscreen about selected item with main UI on mainscreen. More real estate up there too.

Whoever it was at IGN that made "Waggle" a standard Wii phrase in their articles needs a two by four to the face.
Agreed. I'm happy to do the swinging.

Nibel's OS mock ups are awesome, wonder how close or different the real thing will be.

I can't believe that I was actually almost ten years old when Nintendo stopped being primarily a third party dev house. This never occurred to me, and it makes me feel mighty.

Huh? The NES was going strong when I was nine, when/how were they third party?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
They were making games for the Atari systems (when I was a wee lil' gamer).
Not counting obscure things like Hotel Mario and Mario Teaches Typing 2, I believe Super Mario Bros. Special for the NEC PC-8801 is the most recent game Nintendo has developed for a third party "console". It was co-developed with Hudson which also published the game. I could be wrong though.

Nibel's OS mock ups are awesome, wonder how close or different the real thing will be.

Maybe the twist is that Nibel is secretly working for Nintendo's art department and was using GAF to beta test interface ideas.

Huh? The NES was going strong when I was nine, when/how were they third party?

While they made their own systems beforehand, the NES was when they really pushed hard into first party mode. The video game industry predated this system by more than a decade.

edit: Note that the Nintendo entertainment system was part of the THIRD generation of consoles.

Interesting. I didn't realize that there were actually two big market crashes in the early days of the video game industry. The one everybody knows about was the transition from generation 2 (led by the Atari 2600) to generation 3 (led by the NES), but the transition from generation 1 to generation 2 also resulted in a crash.

I think these two events are good to bring up if you hear anybody suggesting that gaming is dying. We're in a transition period at the moment, and many folks don't seem to understand that sales going down is pretty normal in this circumstance and, in fact, somtimes far worse.

HylianTom

Banned
Rösti;36919453 said:
Not counting obscure things like Hotel Mario and Mario Teaches Typing 2, I believe Super Mario Bros. Special for the NEC PC-8801 is the most recent game Nintendo has developed for a third party "console". It was co-developed with Hudson which also published the game. I could be wrong though.

Sounds about right, but I'm not in position to research right now..

.. no worries thoigh. I'm sure that there are plenty of folks in the industry working hard to see to it that Nintendo once again serves in a third-party role. :-|

They were making games for the Atari systems (when I was a wee lil' gamer).

Oh yeah, duh. It's funny because in '88 one of my best friends next door inherited a 2600 with a bunch of the standard classic Atari games and the bundle he got also had the 2600 versions of Donkey Kong and Mario Bros arcade. We had a blast playing all the games (he managed to complete Pitfall which I thought was amazing)

Then the following year (88/89 season) one of my other neighbor friends got an NES with SMB 1 and 2, and Link's Adventure. I'd go over there to play them and I was in heaven, the first time I'd ever played the NES. The Mario games were my favorites, the feeling of exploring little worlds. Duck Hunt and Zelda 2 were amazing too of course. They were a really nice family but I was too embarassed to ask them to borrow it. My best friend however let me borrow his 2600 one week. Popped in Atari Mario Bros arcade hoping that would temporarily cure me of my NES addiction. Haha NOPE. Ugh, the 2600 looked and felt sooooo ugly after that. It wasn't until I was 11 that we finally got our own NES, what a great time that was.

Christine

My first exposure to Nintendo was later Game&Watch systems, my second was third party Mario Bros., and my third was the fabled NES with Super Mario Bros. I remember having trouble understanding the glory of scrolling in a platformer when my school-mates were describing it to me on the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom