• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AdvertisingAge: Xbox One's Data Treasure Trove Could Reshape Marketing

Faustek

Seriously, that people still are willing to have anything to do with Microsoft is beyond me.
There is one thing that is extremely important to companies, in this case the content creators for Microsoft(3 party) and that is revenue.

You are afraid that your games will not come to your SteamOS, PS4, WiiU so you chose microsoft?

Well if the majority of you actually take your thumbs out and go to these other systems so will the content creators follow. No moneyhatting in the world can save a desolate environment.
If you are one of these younger people that are used to things being easy and served on a silver platter(yeah talking consoles here but also Steam environment) then seriously, you need to work to finetune your own system one day. It will do you good. Not that it's any hard in Unity(Ubuntu's environment) it's Windows without the creepy intrusions(Can be argued that Ubuntu's and Amazon "collaboration is fairly disgusting, I think so, as well but it's easy to remove).
And you have a system that can pretty much do everything you could do in Windows sans gaming.

But back to an earlier mentioned point.

Where we go the content providers will follow so for once try thinking about the future instead of that damned satisfaction Halo or MS Word gives you, there are alternatives and some are much better.

They announced the DRM, no offline, without a care or explanation. They are pushing a Kinect with every single device, even though many people have complained, implying that "every console owner needs to own one to warrant further development and great games" - despite the fact that 24 million sales of Kinect 1 in the previous generation didn't seem to do so -- they haven't even tried to make it seem exciting, at any of their events. One of their first party games, Ryse, even went back to regular controls.

This seems a bit off topic, but either way..... By this logic, anything that isn't perfect or performs as well as hoped should be discarded and given up on. The kinect itself has POTENTIAL to add tons of features/ideas/innovations to gaming.

The original just wasn't up to snuff and like many add-ons suffered from being a separate purchase that developers couldn't count on people having. So building games around it automatically meant you're cutting your sales to only people that have invested into the addon. Being a mandatory pack-in means that every developer CAN count on this being available and as such can develop games completely around interacting with the device. I don't understand why people have such a hard time understanding that concept. Just because the previous version (which was an add-on) didn't give us great experiences does not mean that the future of the device is doomed. Its really up to developers to get in there and start playing with ideas and work with it.

As for Ryse going back to regular controls, I'm not sure why they did/haven't read anything about it, but there are plenty of possible reasons for beyond 'kinect sucks, waste of money, blah blah blah'. I don't expect launch titles to A. Perform the best B. Look the best and C. take advantage of everything new consoles have to offer.

More and more it seems like 'hardcore gaming' is becoming synonymous with 'don't try new things, prettier graphics, and give me the a new CoD'. What happened to 'whats possible with this', especially when the damn thing isn't even out.

Salex_

This is the part I don't understand. So you watch the latest COD ad, and you hate it. You frown, gesticulate, or just get up and leave the room everytime you see it. It's now recorded you didn't like this ad. What about this bothers you? You don't want the advertiser to know you hated the ad?

Doesn't that sound creepy as hell to you? Someone watching my reaction and recording the video/audio in my room...That's on some next level stalking lol.

jem0208

This is the part I don't understand. So you watch the latest COD ad, and you hate it. You frown, gesticulate, or just get up and leave the room everytime you see it. It's now recorded you didn't like this ad. What about this bothers you? You don't want the advertiser to know you hated the ad?

This is what I've been thinking. If this leads to bad adverts being removed and only stuff that interests us being shown, why are people so against it?

The data they likely to collect will be something like:

- 20% of people watched the entire ad

- 60% watched less than half the ad

- 20% ignored the ad

What's so bad about that?

Doesn't that sound creepy as hell to you? Someone watching my reaction and recording the video/audio in my room...That's on some next level stalking lol.

No ones going to study your reaction to the advert, all that will be recorded is small data points like whether you watched the entire ad or not.

Because I've seen them in many other threads, the fact that they're banned and wrong on many accounts? One doesn't need to look at post histories to know someone's preferences and agenda.

Bottom line is that one of the two companies is crossing the line in data mining. Would you rather wait for them to implement this or would you want them to 180 this to prevent further accusations. It's already blatantly obvious that they're doing this. They said so themselves.

When you pay for something premium you don't expect this kind of shit.

Man, I just wanna play games. I just wanna relax not worry about some goddamn company spying on me. The least they could do is help me stop worrying about it. Release a statement regarding this issue before it goes out of hand.

I think you're applying your own ideas/opinions on some of this.... Unless I'm wrong, people aren't banned on this forum for having opinions that are opposed to others or being wrong about something...

And the bottom line is we don't know for certain they are actively doing this. You're just assuming they are based on what you've read and your obvious dislike for ms/xbox. Which is fine, thats your opinion.... But if you're saying we are/should be banning people for having opinions opposing others and being wrong about information, we should ban you because we have no proof this will ever actually happen, and your opinion opposes mine!

This is what I've been thinking. If this leads to bad adverts being removed and only stuff that interests us being shown, why are people so against it?

The data they likely to collect will be something like:

- 20% of people watched the entire ad

- 60% watched less than half the ad

- 20% ignored the ad

What's so bad about that?
The part where there's a camera in my living room watching what I'm doing.

You don't find that the least bit creepy or unnerving?

Let's see, what about it bothers me....for starters a corporation so desperate to make a $$ that they're in my living room watching me. If you don't understand how that is a turn off to some people then I don't know what to say really.

Mikey Jr.

10 years from now.

You get up to use the washroom when an ad comes on. The ad pauses and waits till you get back before finishing.

ironcreed

Banned

It is the matter of a camera watching you and recording you in your own fucking house in order to read you and tailor ads so they can push their shit on you. Believe it or not, that is considered just a bit too intrusive for most.

Yes, we know we can unplug it (due to such a huge backlash). But beings it is not mandatory, we should not have to pay the extra price in order to get the Xbox One to begin with. They are leaving it packed in with the $500 price so it will be hooked up in as many homes as possible. This is why they are not selling it separately.

At any rate, if you love the idea of having a camera that can even see you in the dark with god knows who staring into your house so that they can analyze and push their wares on you, then by all means, enjoy. It is going to have some neat games, but there is just far too much negative here for me. Enough is enough.

jem0208

The part where there's a camera in my living room watching what I'm doing.

You don't find that the least bit creepy or unnerving?

Not really. I'm sitting right infront of my laptop's webcam right now, I stare at a camera on my phone every other minute. A phone which has GPS capabilities.

If they were to use this for advertising benefits, they won't watch my recorded reaction. They'll receive data points about whether I was engaged or not which will then be handled by a computer program which will then send me ads which are more interesting to me. Most likely I will ignore them, however if there's a chance that it'll remove all the boring ads then I'm not too bothered.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Recording my reactions? In my own home? What business is it of theirs? What right do they have to that information?

Ridiculous.

Not really. I'm sitting right infront of my laptop's webcam right now, I stare at a camera on my phone every other minute. A phone which has GPS capabilities.
Not even close.

If they were to use this for advertising benefits, they won't watch my recorded reaction. They'll receive data points about whether I was engaged or not which will then be handled by a computer program which will then send me ads which are more interesting to me. Most likely I will ignore them, however if there's a chance that it'll remove all the boring ads then I'm not too bothered.

The difference between those cameras and Kinect is that they record your actions only when you want them to. There is something inherently wrong in a camera being active in a room recording your actions without your permission, regardless of whatever purpose those recordings are for.

jem0208

The difference between those cameras and Kinect is that they record your actions only when you want them to. There is something inherently wrong in a camera being active in a room recording your actions without your permission, regardless of whatever purpose those recordings are for.

Why do you think it's going to record us without our permission?

Jac_Solar

Usually the fact that the game, movie, show, whatever, is put on pause at set intervals just so someone can greatly exaggerate, or outright lie about their product in an attempt to sell it to you and make money. The fact that it's an ad is annoying.

If anything, advertising should be optional, and shouldn't be more than facts and an unbiased summary.

In this case, it's annoying because it's obviously an attempt to incorporate more and more advertising into games. Flash games now have advertising trailers for movies.

Faustek

Atm you are what is so very wrong with this western civilization. Have you read any argument against this? If you have and still don't care can you tell me when you will start caring? I'm seriously interested in when a person as you will say "this is enough, I need some sort of privacy and control".

This is such a fucking cancer.

You pay $500 for the box. That's not enough.
You pay $60 a year to use Online Multiplayer and other services that are free elsewhere. That's not enough.
You pay $60 each for a brand new game. That's not enough.
Money spent on the Online Store, Microtransactions, DLC? That isn't enough.

No, now they want to collect data from everything you do with the box to sell to advertisers and make MORE money.

In return, what do you get?

Targeted, "gamified", advertisements.

Microsoft make money. Advertisers make money. You did the work for them.

Letting shit like this slide will eventually ruin gaming as a hobby for me.

jem0208

Atm you are what is so very wrong with this western civilization. Have you read any argument against this? If you have and still don't care can you tell me when you will start caring? I'm seriously interested in when a person as you will say "this is enough, I need some sort of privacy and control".

I don't care because I'm pretty damn certain no one is actively watching me with these devices. If it came to light that Kinect was recording video of us and people in marketing at MS were reviewing these videos, then yes, I would be pretty outraged.

What I don't care about is data points being sent to a computer program which then sends back ads which are more interesting to me.

This is such a fucking cancer.

You pay $500 for the box. That's not enough.
You pay $60 a year to use Online Multiplayer and other services that are free elsewhere. That's not enough.
You pay $60 each for brand new games. That's not enough.
Money spent on the Online Store, Microtransactions, DLC? That isn't enough.

No, now they want to collect data from everything you do with the box to sell to advertisers and make MORE money.

In return, what do you get?

Targeted, "gamified", advertisements.

Microsoft make money. Advertisers make money. You did the work for them.

Letting shit like this slide will eventually ruin gaming as a hobby for me.

TV shows are created only for the purpose of selling advertisement. Everything on network TV is produced to gain viewers so the networks can sell ads. Consoles were different. Consoles were made to sell games. But now with the MS model, consoles and games will exist for the purpose of selling advertisement just like TV. It fundamentally changes the industry.

killatopak

I think you're applying your own ideas/opinions on some of this.... Unless I'm wrong, people aren't banned on this forum for having opinions that are opposed to others or being wrong about something...

And the bottom line is we don't know for certain they are actively doing this. You're just assuming they are based on what you've read and your obvious dislike for ms/xbox. Which is fine, thats your opinion.... But if you're saying we are/should be banning people for having opinions opposing others and being wrong about information, we should ban you because we have no proof this will ever actually happen, and your opinion opposes mine!

WTF they weren't banned because of an opinion, they were banned because they had an agenda. Most of those banned are either shills or outright delusional fanboys who continue to spout nonsense and FUD. Those that weren't banned is because they stayed true to the rules of this forum which I'm thankful for.

You're right. I probably dislike MS but I'm willing to like Xbox for their games. I like their games not their policies. I was so ready to jump ship this gen but they had fuck ups one after another and this Nuad is latest of them. I'm even seriously contemplating on what platform to pick up this year. Their games are the only thing holding my interest in this company and I sure as hope they don't let me down one more time or else they're just pushing me, their customer, away.

There are still 2 months until the release of the console. I'm willing to trust them until then.

P.S. IIRC Telling other people to be banned is bannable.

Why do you think it's going to record us without our permission?

Lol...

The ignorance of some people in this thread. They'll have your permission. You just won't know you gave it.. Just like facebook, google etc. You'll accept terms and conditions without understanding them just like millions of others

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I don't care because I'm pretty damn certain no one is actively watching me with these devices. If it came to light that Kinect was recording video of us and people in marketing at MS were reviewing these videos, then yes, I would be pretty outraged.

What I don't care about is data points being sent to a computer program which then sends back ads which are more interesting to me.

There are no ads that are interesting to me, if MS need feedback on ads all they need is a one-off pop-up when setting up the system.

"Do you like and want to view ads on your Xbox?"

The answer is no, period, now fuck off. forever.

Expecting any other reaction from me is stupid.

I don't want "more interesting" ads, there are none, I just want none of that shit.

Profiling me? - Fucking pay me for that shit or just fuck off.

Or better yet, a pop-up, let me opt-out right from the bat.

Won't do that? - Oh I know why, my opinion means fuck all, and for that reason among many others, MS can take the Xbox One and shove it up Ballmers ass.

jem0208

There are no ads that are interesting to me, if MS need feedback on ads all they need is a one-off pop-up when setting up the system.

"Do you like and want to view ads on your Xbox?"

The answer is no, period, now fuck off. forever.

Expecting any other reaction from me is stupid.

I don't want "more interesting" ads, there are none, I just want none of that shit.

Profiling me? - Fucking pay me for that shit or just fuck off.

I agree, I'd prefer to have no ads at all. But if the choice is between boring ads or interesting ads then I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to choose.

Madness

Had a cousin-in-law who worked at MS during their Vista/Windows 7 launches. He used to say the amount of information people would provide and be collected during betas, and surveys was ridiculous.

With this, MS will know a general idea of what you look like (you're a fool if you think your photo/viseo/voice wouldn't be transmitted to MS), they'll know what you sound like, they'll know how many people are in the room, they'll know how long you sit and play, what games, for how long.

The amount of data mining that will happen is ridiculous and with the Snowden leaks and MS' willingness to be party to NSA spying, we know it's a certainty they will share this information too.

ironcreed

Banned
Oh, happy day! I love being analyzed by a camera in my own home and flooded with personalized ads. It helps keep me in touch, makes me feel special and tells me who I am! As they are tailored just for me!

tumblr_mlix0y4BGE1r1mr1po1_400.gif

Faustek

Fair enough.

And yes people will be reviewing the reaction, probably not watching a live stream that would be even to creepy for MS but the metadata collected and fine tuning code to be more precise as it grows that is something that is guaranteed and believing otherwise...ask yourself this.

If you have a magical unicorn that craps gold will you just let it roam free in the woods and collect the droppings or will you keep it caged and feed it so it craps more in a confined area? Of Course you are going to try and milk it for all it's worth, greed baby. You're going to take notes of what makes it poop more, which food will make it poop more and the quality of it.

TV shows are created only for the purpose of selling advertisement. Everything on network TV is produced to gain viewers so the networks can sell ads. Consoles were different. Consoles were made to sell games. But now with the MS model, consoles and games will exist for the purpose of selling advertisement just like TV. It fundamentally changes the industry.

And if it truly does shift the paradigm, it will be the fault of people who supported it.

I'm not supporting it and I never will.

I don't pay for cable for the exact same reason. Advertisers have overstepped the bounds of what I think is acceptable, and this crap represents a giant leap.

At this point I am hoping that the Xbox ecosystem is, as Faustek put it earlier, "desolate". That's the only thing that will stop it.

jem0208

Of course they are going to say that, actively coming out and saying they will be storing facial recognition data on their servers would be idiotic, even for MS' PR team.

Fair enough.

And yes people will be reviewing the reaction, probably not watching a live stream that would be even to creepy for MS but the metadata collected and fine tuning code to be more precise as it grows that is something that is guaranteed and believing otherwise...ask yourself this.

If you have a magical unicorn that craps gold will you just let it roam free in the woods and collect the droppings or will you keep it caged and feed it so it craps more in a confined area? Of Course you are going to try and milk it for all it's worth, greed baby. You're going to take notes of what makes it poop more, which food will make it poop more and the quality of it.

Obviously they will review it, but like you said all it will be is metadata. Most likely statistics gathered from the entire userbase. I would be very surprised if MS were to individually review how people react to targeted ads.

Chobel

Yet

There is no doubt that MS has tightened up PR about NuADs and the Kinect in general since the NSA story broke. The problem is that when they say stuff like what you linked above - I don't believe them. I doubt I'm alone.

Actually gamespot made a stupid article and their source was what Penello said here in NeoGAF.

Faustek

And if it truly does shift the paradigm, it will be the fault of people who supported it.

I'm not supporting it and I never will.

I don't pay for cable for the exact same reason. Advertisers have overstepped the bounds of what I think is acceptable, and this crap represents a giant leap.

At this point I am hoping that the Xbox ecosystem is, as Faustek put it earlier, "desolate". That's the only thing that will stop it.

People will gladly put their head in a tigers mouth if you trick them into believing it to be a good idea without pausing to consider the consequences if the tiger would close it jaw..
Stupidity is infectious and so is hype.

Bgamer90

Banned
I've read the source in the OP multiple times but I don't really get where a decent number of people in this thread are coming from.

The OP puts in bold, "It's early days, but we're starting to put that together in more of a unifying way", when that was referring to various offline and online experiences coming together and not about kinect watching people for advertisements. That's not to say the OP intended to bold the statement to basically state that it was about kinect but it seems like some in here have taken it that way.

I've heard the term "gamification" before but couldn't that just mean more games in the future such as that Yaris racing game, the Doritos Crash Course game, or those Burger King games on the 360 -- "advergames"?

And in terms of "consolidating more attention now diffused among multiple devices.." I saw/took that as Xbox One apps being able to have ads that use both the TV screen as well as other screen devices that a person may own due to things like smartglass -- especially since the article brought up NFL app features immediately after that.

I'm just trying to understand where some are coming from since I think I may be missing something. The article did mention kinect but that was about the possibility of it being used for ad purposes which is a valid observation. I mean, that statement could have been said even before the introduction of the Xbox One; A camera being able to see what people are doing when they use a device? Yeah, that would be a unique tool to have for advertising purposes but the article stated the possibility of it happening and nothing about a confirmation of it. The article was even made with the writer originally thinking that kinect had to be connected at all times for the Xbox One.

So after reading the source article in the OP, that's how I took everything. Again, maybe I'm missing something though and if so, I would definitely appreciate someone explaining it to me because I'm not fully understanding the connection between the source in the OP with some of these posts in this thread.

Vashetti

Banned
I hope people getting Xbox One on Day 1 read the TOS very carefully before they press OK/Accept.

I bet there's some carefully worded shit in there.

Chobel

Obviously they will review it, but like you said all it will be is metadata. Most likely statistics gathered from the entire userbase. I would be very surprised if MS were to individually review how people react to targeted ads.

They don't have to review it thoroughly, they can create a simple algorithm
Code:
if Ad.reaction = hate
    Thisperson.hatedads += Ad.genre

I hope people getting Xbox One on Day 1 read the TOS very carefully before they press OK/Accept.

There's carefully worded shit with just about every product. Look what happened to Kyle on South Park when he didn't read the new agreement for the new iOS update.

jem0208

They don't have to review it thoroughly, they can create a simple algorithm
Code:
if Ad.reaction = hate
    Thisperson.hatedads += Ad.genre

I know, that's exactly how I expect this sort of system to work. However they may review metadata gathered from the userbase to determine how well their algorithms are working.

Iacobellis

Yet

There is no doubt that MS has tightened up PR about NuADs and the Kinect in general since the NSA story broke. The problem is that when they say stuff like what you linked above - I don't believe them. I doubt I'm alone.

I don't like Microsoft very much, but why doesn't a company like Apple get as much flack? I mean, Touch ID is introduced and they also say the data never leaves your iPhone. Where's the questioning about that?

Duster

I'll never get why people want adverts that are more relevant, that doesn't always mean a game you'd like to play it could be something targeting you insecuriites, give me an irrelevant tampon advert any day.

This article is about "A new study claims to identify the times of the week that women are feeling the most insecure about their bodies, and recommends that brands "concentrate media during prime vulnerability moments."

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...sest-advertising-strategy-of-all-time/280242/

"It advices brands to seize on the times of the day and week when women feel the most insecure about their bodies and overall appearance in order to sell beauty products and other goods.

Women, the study claims to have found, feel less attractive on Mondays, especially in the morning. Thus, as the release explains, "Monday becomes the day to encourage the beauty product consumer to get going and feel beautiful again, so marketing messages should focus on feeling smart, instant beauty/fashion fixes, and getting things planned and done. Concentrate media during prime vulnerability moments, aligning with content involving tips and tricks, instant beauty rescues, dressing for the success, getting organized for the week and empowering stories."

It goes on to say
"And, if timing ads for the time of the week when women in general are feeling kind of meh about themselves isn't gross enough, the study hints at an even more cynical possibility: Women can feel bad about themselves at any time! Particularly, the study finds, when they are stressed, sick, or crying. Good news: This means there are great opportunities for brands all week long—if only they could know when a woman is stressed, sick, or crying"

It's not much of a stretch to see that Kinnect can see when a women is in one of those states. It's also not much of a stretch to see the same sort of thing targeted at the recently single, injured or unemployed (dating sites, compensation lawyers, payday loans).
If the marketers had their way it's not something you can easily avoid as it will be on any linked console, phone, TV, email, websites, social media etc.

Of course this just builds on what marketing already does and it's just a study being related to the hypothetical marketing possibilities Xbox One enables. There's no proof they're willing to adopt this strategy or even have the technology to do so but I don't see why we should welcome the possibility with open arms.

Coxy

"To play Xbox one you need to connect online and download a patch"

"To download the update you must agree to the Xbox One Terms of Service"

"Agree?"

You'll have to agree to it tio ever use the system I'd bet

Faustek

I don't like Microsoft very much, but why doesn't a company like Apple get as much flack? I mean, Touch ID is introduced and they also say the data never leaves your iPhone. Where's the questioning about that?

Ohh there is my young padawan but as you are on a Gamecentric forum this is not brought up as much, if ever.

But yes, there are foundations out there and forums(Xda) where this is seen as very serious. Even more serious when some credence was lent to the group that "cracked" the Fingerprint reader within hours.
So if you want to discuss that I recommend you take it up in those forums or go OffTopic

dose

No ones going to study your reaction to the advert, all that will be recorded is small data points like whether you watched the entire ad or not.
Really? Cool. Can you point us all to a link where they stated that? Thanks.

Recording my reactions? In my own home? What business is it of theirs? What right do they have to that information?

Ridiculous.
This. Totally this.

hawk2025

I've read the source in the OP multiple times but I don't really get where a decent number of people in this thread are coming from.

The OP puts in bold, "It's early days, but we're starting to put that together in more of a unifying way", when that was referring to various offline and online experiences coming together and not about kinect watching people for advertisements. That's not to say the OP intended to bold the statement to basically state that it was about kinect but it seems like some in here have taken it that way.

I've heard the term "gamification" before but couldn't that just mean more games in the future such as that Yaris racing game, the Doritos Crash Course game, or those Burger King games on the 360 -- "advergames"?

And in terms of "consolidating more attention now diffused among multiple devices.." I saw/took that as Xbox One apps being able to have ads that use both the TV screen as well as other screen devices that a person may own due to things like smartglass -- especially since the article brought up NFL app features immediately after that.

I'm just trying to understand where some are coming from since I think I may be missing something. The article did mention kinect but that was about the possibility of it being used for ad purposes which is a valid observation. I mean, that statement could have been said even before the introduction of the Xbox One; A camera being able to see what people are doing when they use a device? Yeah, that would be a unique tool to have for advertising purposes but the article stated the possibility of it happening and nothing about a confirmation of it. The article was even made with the writer originally thinking that kinect had to be connected at all times for the Xbox One.

So after reading the source article in the OP, that's how I took everything. Again, maybe I'm missing something though and if so, I would definitely appreciate someone explaining it to me because I'm not fully understanding the connection between the source in the OP with some of these posts in this thread.

Well, it's about a multitude of factors. I can certainly understand where your reading of it came from, but consider this, in case you missed my post:

So, here's what we know about the advertising game and how MS sees it:

- Google makes an incredible amount of money with their pay-per-click search ads. Billions. Multi-billions. More than anyone expected.
- Microsoft clearly wants that advertising market. This is why Bing exists.
- Microsoft Research is dedicated, among other things, to running experiments on Bing and understanding how advertising revenue responds to different levels of information (see their website for more)
- the Xbox environment is prime advertising real estate, even more so than Bing, with a beautifully focused, cash-filled customer base.
- several execs have talked about kinect's potential for advertisement

The writing's on the fucking wall. There's more money (much more money) to be made advertising to Xbox One owner than securing an additional exclusive that sells 500 thousand copies. Microsoft knows this, and has been chasing it at least since the advent of Bing. And Albert wants us to believe that no one's working on that approach at the moment and the interview was only speculative? Bullshit. Albert's quote means absolutely nothing against the piles of evidence otherwise.

Here's the link to Microsoft Advertisement, in particular the targeted advertisement section:

http://advertising.microsoft.com/en-us/display-ad-targeting

Here's the Xbox-specific section, which right now only covers the 360, but already mentions Kinect:

http://advertising.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox

Ads bring in the big bucks, targeting ads bring in the HUGE bucks, and Microsoft absolutely knows this and is going after it.

onanie

“Can we watch the customers’ reaction, and if we can, do we have the capability of showing a different ad, or the same ad, depending on what the reaction was?” – Lynn Watts, Xbox Manager (source = CNET)

I thought it was creepy Kinect can detect your emotions, but the purpose is now obvious. Microsoft has been on message with their true customers after all, promising to consolidate TV watchers, internet surfers and gamers into one big screen that becomes a window of information for marketers. It explains their determination for Kinect to be a mandatory pack-in, at great cost to the value proposition.

I really do not appreciate being monetized for a device that I already paid for, and that includes being shown ads in the home space. Fortunately, this is a free market and there are very good alternatives (that are cheaper at the same time without needing to monetize anything that has a heartbeat).

Top Bottom