• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch EU launch line up.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
People said on wiiu launch "where is zelda?"

People say on switch launch "why is there only zelda?"

Let´s be honest guys, at this price and it doesn´t even matter which game will come out on launch. 90% who buy switch at launch will only buy zelda for it.

I really want to buy it in the launch month, if zelda on the wiiu is really worse with LoD,fps and graphic quality than the switch version. Launch year also is very good for me, but something in me says, that I just should wait for e3.

ubiblu

I honestly don't understand people crying about the first year of releases for the Switch.

Within 9-10 months from launch, you will have:

- New Zelda
- New 3D Mario (64 style)
- New Splatoon
- New Xenoblade Chronicles
- Mario Kart 8 re-release
- Smash Bros re-release (very likely)
- Pokemon Stars (very likely)
- Pikmin 4 (again, very likely)

Seriously, how much more can you want from a new console in it's first year?? I mean, fuck, throw in a Metroid / Donkey Kong that are likely in development also and you have the full suite of main franchises expected in a Nintendo system's entire lifecycle.

I'd argue this is one of the best launch years of all-time, assumptions and unannounced titles notwithstanding.

redcrayon

It does make me wonder what the attach rate of Zelda is going to be with the Switch early on, to be fair Nintendo have promoted the hell out of it but it's the only game people seem to really be buying it for.

It does make me wonder what the attach rate of Zelda is going to be with the Switch early on, to be fair Nintendo have promoted the hell out of it but it's the only game people seem to really be buying it for.

There's sales figures around for the Wii version of twilight princess that apparently had low sales. The Wii had a much bigger launch line up though.

jonno394

I honestly don't understand people crying about the first year of releases for the Switch.

- New Zelda
- New Splatoon

Seriously, how much more can you want from a new console in it's first year?? I mean, fuck, throw in a Metroid / Donkey Kong that are likely in development also and you have the full suite of main franchises expected in a Nintendo system's entire lifecycle.

I'd argue this is one of the best launch years of all-time, assumptions and unannounced titles notwithstanding.

Remove those three very likely games as they haven't been announced and then xenoblade as it has a good chance of not actually being 2017 and then what are you left with?

2 likely amazing games, 1 port and one enhanced port/sequel. Over ten months that's nothing. At present things don't look good but there's time to change that for Nintendo

redcrayon

- New Zelda
- New Splatoon

I understand it even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

The launch games (not the first year) are a bit uninspiring aside from Zelda, Xenoblade is highly likely to be delayed, Splatoon 2 doesn't look that different from the first one. That means a bit of a drought over the spring and summer if you have already played the WiiU ports to death.

I think they are holding back some announcements for later this year, and will be keeping quiet about Pokemon Stars to let the 3DS games keep selling seeing as they haven't even been out for two months yet.

Personally I can't wait to see what it's library looks like in a year or twos time. I realise it's totally a niche game but I can't believe there is actually going to be a Fire Emblem Warriors after years of people suggesting it, I can't wait for that! :D

redcrayon

There's sales figures around for the Wii version of twilight princess that apparently had low sales. The Wii had a much bigger launch line up though.
Yeah, also I think more people were inspired by the Wii itself than TP. With the Switch I see more people dearly wanting to play the new Zelda that looks amazing than being interested in the console concept.

Zalman

- New Zelda
- New Splatoon

For the sake of this discussion, let's remove all the very likely options. I expect them too, but plans change all the time, and we can't say for sure when or if they will come out.

What they showed at the presentation was appealing to me. However, I do think the slow rollout of games is a big problem. Zelda is day one, which is fantastic, but what do we have after that? Mario Kart comes out on April 28 - that's almost two months later. Splatoon 2 doesn't hit until summer, which is a huge shame in my opinion. We get Arms in between, but it's still too early to say how that will do.

I fully expect this thing to have a slow first couple of months.

Hope the console cuts prices when Odyssey releases.
This launch is fucking laughable for europe, 330 euros for this. lol

I only hope that Zelda WiiU is not a fps mess.

I expect a price drop by the time Mario comes out. 3DS's price drop and ambassador programme came around the time of Ocarina Of Time 3D, so maybe with splatoon and or Mario.

Digital foundry reports favourably on the FPS for BOTW switch :)

- New Zelda
- New Splatoon

And Pikmin 4 is still some people interpretation of "that 3DS Pikmin clearly isn't the next Pikmin Miyamoto talked about".

dyergram

Listing games as 'very likely' is absurd. If your happy with the line up cool have at it. A lot of people aren't are understandably worried and shocked by this thin line up. I wouldn't assume athything is 'likely' in development especially metriod given its recent track record.

That MARIO game had pimp bowser. If you want to be irrationally hyped for anything...

jts

...hate me...
Want Zelda, and I have to admit, want 1 2 Switch... can’t buy 2 games and the console in the same month though.

- New Zelda
- New Splatoon

I almost guarantee you that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Pikmin 4 won't be out this year if everything else does. Its way too much. Everybody seriously thought we'd get three AAA 1st party games in March(Botw, splatoon, and mario... lol?) before the presentation, and they were dead wrong. That's not how Nintendo does business. They almost never release more than one AAA 1st party game per month. I can assure you they know the problems with droughts from the wii u.

For holidays, Pokemon Stars, Mario Oddysey, and 3rd party titles will be more than enough. And if/when we get smash confirmed for this year, smash will likely be out late summer to october. Games like Xenoblade and Pikmin are better reserved for 1st and 2nd quarter 2018.

jonno394

So if we go for one Nintendo game a month to keep things ticking over we have the following

March -Zelda and 1 2 switch
April - Mario kart
May - ARMS
June - ?
July - Splatoon 2
August - ?
September - ?
October - ?
November - ?
December - Super Mario Odyssey

I could imagine June not having a game and instead being a big gamecube virtual console push with E3 stuff like "available right now"

October would likely be Pokémon Stars if it exists so august, September and November.... 3ds/Wii u ports?

Thud

I just want to know the price in Scandinavia. Sites have set it to 5000NOK/SEK but that's absolutely insane. Most have a clause in the sales page about "this is a preliminary price" but there's less than 50 days left!

For reference, 5000 is over 550€.

Yeah this doesn't sound right.

Should be a bit more than 3100.

I converted dollar to NOK and then added VAT.

Bonk

Well most of what LKD said about software turned out to be untrue. Thankfully for Zelda at launch anyway. Don't think I'd make the plunge without Zelda.

We will know after E3 (yes, I Know) if it is. Ubisoft confirmed that the have further announcements to make and smash Bros is so logical that I cant imagine it not coming...

We will know after E3 (yes, I Know) if it is. Ubisoft confirmed that the have further announcements to make and smash Bros is so logical that I cant imagine it not coming...

I'll believe the leakers when I see it at this point :p

I think rayman should be a launch game. Make it cheap, its super fun, has a great co-op focus, etc.

Mildudon

I just want to know the price in Scandinavia. Sites have set it to 5000NOK/SEK but that's absolutely insane. Most have a clause in the sales page about "this is a preliminary price" but there's less than 50 days left!

That's pretty high of a price for NO/SEK. In DK the cheapest i've seen it is 2999DK.(404€).

Robiin

That's pretty high of a price for NO/SEK. In DK the cheapest i've seen it is 2999DK.(404€).
That would be what I expected. But just look at CDON and set yiur region to Swe/Nor. As I said, they'll lower the price when they have confirmed with Bergsala (?), but until then I won't pre order. And by then, it might be too late to pre order to guarantee a launch unit.

For reference; 5000 NOK is 1000 more than a PS4 Pro!

nikatapi

Kind of pathetic. They are betting on Zelda of course, but still a very weak lineup. Hopefully it's not a WiiU port year for the Switch, i would love to see something else since i own almost all the big WiiU games.

Strings

- New Zelda
- New Splatoon

3 of 4 are re-releases, and 3 of 4 haven't even been announced + "in a year, the launch will be good" >.>?

Spelbutiken has it listed at 3600 kr (380€) and it doesn't say anything about it being a preliminary price.

Its highly likely that yearly scedule is incomplete. It doesn't factor in Digital games and given Nintendo like surprises; 1st and 3rd party games worth hiding.

Soul Lab

The first few months are a joke, except Zelda.
Mario Kart 8 without new racing tracks. ugh..
If the launch fails, it's well deserved

Pathetic. Really. I have all Nintendo consoles and will buy Switch as well simply to play Zelda and hopefully Fire Emblem, but this really is a disastrous launch (window) line up.

With merging the two development streams and hardly any Wii U games the last two years Nintendo should have had much more ready than Zelda, a couple of ports and a Mario game 10 months away.

I think unfortunately the reality is that Nintendo internally has very serious issues that stop it from having a cear strategic focus or from delivering the games required for a game system to succeed.

- New Zelda
- New Splatoon

Now remove ports and things you just assume. Then also consider that other platforms usually offer much more insight into the future. Is it supposed to be promising that the best 3rd party deal for the next Nintendo handheld is some Suda title that doesn't even exist yet? Because it constitutes the complete opposite image.
Considering that this was supposed to combined both handheld- and console devisions, this lineup is beyond petty. It's actually worse than your typical WiiU lineup and that shouldn't have been possible in any kind of reality. Reveals like Wii and 3DS had announcement after announcement. Switch has like 2 new big productions.

yurinka

So this year I'll get Zelda, MK8, Splatoon 2 and Mario for Switch.

It's ok for me to don't have more appealing Switch games this year because I'll get a lot of PS4 games during 2017.

It would be nice to see Bayonetta 1+2, Captain Toad & Tropical Freeze ported to Switch next year, I'd get them.

deleted

So this year I'll get Zelda, MK8, Splatoon 2 and Mario for Switch.

It's ok for me to don't have more appealing Switch games this year because I'll get a lot of PS4 games during 2017.

It would be nice to see Bayonetta 1+2, Captain Toad & Tropical Freeze ported to Switch next year, I'd get them.

It would have made sense for Nintendo to announce a Wii U classics line up with titles like that throughout the first year.

Ennosuke

I have a PS4 and a PC, so I will be busy anyway. But for me the lineup is good, including 2 goty candidates.

I will be busy with BoW until MK8, when I get bored I can buy Arms or Splatoon 2. I think some stuff for Fall has not been annouced yet, but in the last quarter Mario gonna be amazing and probably we have the pleasure to play XC2.

I had the WiiU and the 3DS as well on launch day and it took a lot of time until I had a great game on those platforms.

Not so bad as people are pretending.

TannerDemoz

Everyone acting like the entire release calendar for the year has already been announced...

It's not a terrible launch line-up. I don't get the amount of beef the console is getting when you compare it to the PS4 and XB1 Euro releases.

CANLI

I was hesitating if I buy the Neo Fast DLC on Wii U but I'll wait the RMX on switch.
Puyo Puyo Tetris and Disgaea : day one for me.
I don't know if I'll take wii u or switch version of Zelda.
Glad to not have bought Splatoon on Wii u, the second one will be mine..

I Love 3D World and SMG games but I'm not hyped at all at Odyssey. don't know why..

Robiin

Spelbutiken has it listed at 3600 kr (380€) and it doesn't say anything about it being a preliminary price.
That's better, but still too much. But whatever. I need a Norwegian store to update the price though! I wish Norway was part of the EU. I can drive to Sweden in one hour, but purchasing anything over than 200KR add a bunch of customs expenses... sometimes I wish I still lived there.

oti

Banned
I was hesitating if I buy the Neo Fast DLC on Wii U but I'll wait the RMX on switch.
Puyo Puyo Tetris and Disgaea : day one for me.
I don't know if I'll take wii u or switch version of Zelda.
Glad to not have bought Splatoon on Wii u, the second one will be mine..

I Love 3D World and SMG games but I'm not hyped at all at Odyssey. don't know why..

It's a bit odd but I love that Nintendo surprised me with Odyssey. I remember the first trailer of 3D World and that really was "this is just a bigger and better 3D Land" which isn't bad at all but not really surprising.

Plus, there's a lot of Mario Galaxy in the Odyssey reveal trailer. Traditional Mario platforming will be there and it might be Nintendo's first "real" Switch only game.

Top Bottom