• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B says things about microtransactions

Yagharek

One of the best backfires on GAF I've seen in a longtime. The Prophet Cliff descended from the mountain to espouse wisdom and gets told off for being obnoxious and flat out wrong.

I haven't seen a more comprehensive teardown of a specious argument from a developer since that silicon knights dude.

Feature

Banned
CliffyB seems to be the personification of the bulletstorm characters. Constant swearing and saying stupid shit that's not funny or interesting. I always wondered how he would promote his products to publishers. "so there are these body builders..."

Hey, remember those other things in Team Fortress 2 that you can buy with microtransactions that aren't hats/misc slot items?

Y'know, the ones that are weapons that have unique properties that change the way the game plays?

The ones that can quite literally take fifteen or more hours of grinding to craft if you don't get a lucky drop?

...yeah, I don't think Cliffy is entirely wrong about people giving Valve a free pass on stuff that they slam EA for.

Practically every weapon that's not the default in TF2 is a downgrade or specialized.

Valve and TF2 is the shining example of a F2P game in execution.

It's great, it's limited, it's healthy and supported, and it's insanely well balanced.

No one else can or cares to do it this way, which is why F2P is full of Pay to Win. I loved Planetside 2 but it's really really slow and restrictive upgrade system really drags the game down for me.

Especially when some of the unlockables are definitely needed.

My cut off point for F2P games is more or less the amount I'd pay for it boxed and new. If I don't get even remotely the same amount of worth for $60 in a F2P game then why should anyone bother?

syllogism

One of the best backfires on GAF I've seen in a longtime. The Prophet Cliff descended from the mountain to espouse wisdom and gets told off for being obnoxious and flat out wrong.

I haven't seen a more comprehensive teardown of a specious argument from a developer since that silicon knights dude.
Why do you characterize the response here a "backfire"? The response isn't unexpected and it doesn't seem likely that he desired a different response given that he pretty much specifically referred to gaf as the vocal minority.

hwy_61

Banned
I enjoyed that read. It was very insightful. I don't know where I stand on the business model these days, so I guess I'm indifferent to it? Its only when they keep shit that is vital behind a pay wall(mass effect 3). I mean, there's a better way to make people hang on to their games, and making great add on dlc is it!

I don't think the Valve/EA comparison is a fair one. Its not as if valve is selling you levels in tf2. No, its all unlockable, mostly cosmetic bullshit.

Camjo-Z

Practically every weapon that's not the default in TF2 is a downgrade or specialized.

Valve and TF2 is the shining example of a F2P game in execution.

It's great, it's limited, it's healthy and supported, and it's insanely well balanced.

This is why I've never understood the complaints about the TF2 hat/weapon system - it's entirely playable without even touching the store, the hats have no effect on gameplay, and none of the weapons are simply "better" versions of the defaults. If most games with microtransactions made them work like TF2's I wouldn't have a problem with it.

His blog read like a Gaf post (which is good, I prefer to the point), but I have to agree with him on this (I didn't on the Saint's Row thing). Every business, Valve, EA, Gamestop, Amazon, Zynga and that mom and pop place down the street survives on money and money will always come first. Every sale and deal and promotion and giveaway is not out of love but out of the need to stay relevant and hopes to draw in more business.

None of them are good or bad, but they all hold the dollar above all else, as they rightfully should. Money is to a business as food is to the human body. It's the core element that it survives on.

I've never bought anything from a free to play game and I've never had to, so those practices don't bother me. Someday someone out there will make a retail game that I paid $60+ for that will make the end section so impossible that I'll have no choice but to spend that extra cash just so I don't feel that my initial investment and time went to waste. That's when they will have gone too far for me.

Actually endings are already DLC in Asura's Wrath. I won't be a part of it, but I know people who would and who have. My co-worker spent over $3,000 on Mass Effect 3 multiplayer packs, which I will probably never get over. They got $3,000+ out of a $60 game with this guy. Even if he is a 1/1,000,000 case (which I seriously doubt), how many people are spending $1, $3, $20, $100? Like he said, if it wasn't working, they wouldn't still be doing it. That's so amazing to me and really shows the power of this model for a business that survives on money.

So while I don't personally care for it, I know there are people who do and I understand that any business minded person would be a fool not to use microtransactions.

jkanownik

Why do you characterize the response here a "backfire"? The response isn't unexpected and it doesn't seem likely that he desired a different response given that he pretty much specifically referred to gaf as the vocal minority.

I laid the groundwork for why he is wrong earlier, but I'll be more explicit now. The framework is dramatically changed when you look at businesses as value-maximizing entities instead of money-maximizing entities.

Let's look at the specific example of TF2 and Valve. In order to continue to deliver value to their consumers, Valve must capture some of the value they create in the form of profits. If you're managing TF2 you have a couple of options for continuing to build and capture value.

Option 1 would be to continue to capture value for the company by selling additional copies of TF2. This is how Valve captured value in the beginning, but eventually sales slowed to the point that this option was no longer viable.

Option 2 would be to continue to capture value for the company in the form of goodwill. Valve only realizes the value of this goodwill when they release another game, so this option is dependent on releasing another game in the somewhat short term. I guarantee that someone at Valve looked at this as an option and decided it didn't make sense to release TF3 anytime soon.

Option 3 would be to add a way to capture value in a new way, and this is where paid DLC and MTX come in.

When you being to look at option 3, you start to ask how I can I build the most value possible for my players? And then how do I capture that? One way to add value for a multiplayer community is to increase the population (especially with less-skilled players). For DLC and MTX you can maximize the value creation by spreading fixed costs over a larger number of players. And of course giving the game away for free adds value to the people who play the free game. I could go further on this, but think I've made the point. Valve is building and capturing value with TF2 MTX and that is how you're supposed to run a business.

Keep in mind that the initial development of TF2 was a sunk cost at this point and dramatically changes the dynamics of this discussion. You can't directly compare it to the development of a new game because a new game will have significant investment requirements up front.

YOU BETTER BELIEVE I WILL YOU DISCOUNTED STACK OF BOOTLEG VISIONARIES TOYS!

You make the point that you feel that publishers should be looking to adapt to the changing market rather than trying to exploit what's working now in order to better their chances of survival, but isn't that what the Micro-transaction model is anyways? And what about the fact that these companies are attempting to maximize profits with these types of strategies makes you feel like they won't change again when they see consumers getting freemium fatigue?

I'm just trying to understand your viewpoint more clearly.

Adam Blue

I don't get Jim's points at all. If anything, good for EA if they do this and do fail at it. The current business practices of the few current big-name publishers that are left will be gone soon. What games that we are passionate about are now broken? All of this is speculative and bandwagon-hating.

In short, most hardcore gamers dislike EA, therefore, let EA go through with this bullshit and fail. If we're not playing their games because we already hate them, why does it matter? There's a shit ton of other games out there that we do play by companies that do not plan on doing this. Again, this is all just speculative, bandwagon-hating, hysteria.

I personally play a fuckton of games all the time and only visit GAF when I'm around an internet-enabled device but unable to play video games (work, for example). I have not come across an instance where microtransactions filled me with hatred. Sure, I'd prefer paying retail price for AirMech but the free-to-play I did convinced me not to pay for anything.

most hardcore gamers dislike EA

How many copies of BF3 did EA sell again? Lots and lots?

Okay then.

CliffyB is a good example of a fetishist. All throughout this thread he claims his love is for video games. His true love is, however, for the business. It's evident in his nasty and rude responses in this thread, defending practices that obviously hurt the game itself merely because they potentially benefit the game maker.

We're already seeing the industry adopting to the new market in a resurgence of successful and good small team "independent" games. Most of these "indie" games aren't talking about micro transactions very much at all. Big developers, on the other hand, are talking about it but this is NOT adapting. Adopting the microtransaction model is a reactionary event. The company isn't changing it's outlook, infrastructure, etc to weather the market change, they're trying to find a method to force their current mode of operation to continue to work and wring out as much profit from it that's left.

CliffyB is providing the top to bottom view point, which is usually never correct and completely divorced from the market.

ed

fixed some wording errors

SteveWD40

So does he come back to the thread to refute the many well thought out counter points? or is his thing to bounce in with stupid shit for fanboy worship then disappear?

I honestly don't know, I hardly know who he is (Gears of War was it? I don't play bro games).

Mononoke

Banned
I've edited my post, because I hadn't read this thread entirely (specifically Cliffy's responses) - so I shouldn't be commenting on it.

Adam Blue

Okay then.

That correlation is incorrect. You can dislike a company and still buy their titles. But, if the idea of dislike is ingrained in your mind, you will most likely be easily pushed onto the 'hate' side of a bash-fest. Group-think.

Also the mainstream gamer market is larger than the hardcore one (reason the industry is in this position in the first place).

'Okay then' is an interesting way to end a thought.

Mononoke

Banned

Okay then.

CliffyB is a good example of a fetishist. All throughout this thread he claims his love is for video games. His true love is, however, for the business. It's evident in his nasty and rude responses in this thread, defending practices that obviously hurt the game itself merely because they potentially benefit the game maker.

We're already seeing the industry adopting to the new market in a resurgence of successful and good small team "independent" games. Most of these "indie" games aren't talking about micro transactions very much at all. Big developers, on the other hand, are NOT reacting. Adopting the microtransaction model is a reactionary event. The company isn't changing it's outlook, infrastructure, etc to weather the market change, they're trying to find a method to force their current methods to work and wring out as much profit from it that's left.

Yeah. I remember when people raged out about the Premium service. And then look at how many people signed up for it. It was more than successful, and they turned a pretty hefty profit on top of the profit they already made on the games initial sales (which were really good).

EDIT: Wasn't making a comment on hardcore gamers. Was just saying, Premium Service was something a lot of hardcore gamers were really mad about. And yet, people were willing to pay for it, and in high numbers.

Philthy

I've never seen someone try so hard at being Carmack.

The end result we get is the "Suck it down" Romero instead.

That correlation is incorrect. You can dislike a company and still buy their titles. But, if the idea of dislike is ingrained in your mind, you will most likely be easily pushed onto the 'hate' side of a bash-fest. Group-think.

Also the mainstream gamer market is larger than the hardcore one (reason the industry is in this position in the first place).

'Okay then' is an interesting way to end a thought.

It's a better correlation than the one you provided.

Core gamers saying they hate EA does not correlate into sales.

Unless we disagree on what constitutes the "core" market.

See this is why we can't have nice things....

Nice response by EL.

*buys the shit out of mt's....spends like 20 bucks on hockey alone.

** part of the problem

Adam Blue

Yeah. I remember when people raged out about the Premium service. And then look at how many people signed up for it. It was more than successful, and they turned a pretty hefty profit on top of the profit they already made on the games initial sales (which were really good).

And the Premium service is no different from expansion packs in the past. The value of the content, while is most certainly opinion, is worth price of entry.

This is exactly an example of the argument I'm making here - hardcore gamers on the internet will quickly jump on the hate wagon. But when the value is produced right in front of their eyes and is worthy of purchase, it will be purchased.

You will then not find any threads discussing how 'we were wrong' and that this is a 'perfect example of dlc'.

Adam Blue

It's a better correlation than the one you provided.

Core gamers saying they hate EA does not correlate into sales.

Unless we disagree on what constitutes the "core" market.

I never said it did. Like my other posts explained, core gamers hate based on group-think. But if dlc provides true and engaging value, it will be bought. Hate doesn't equal sales, value does - no matter anyone's position.

I agree. Spend money if you want, don't spend money if you don't.

And I confess, I bought the double resources pack on DS3. I had the extra points lying around from Christmas and wanted to fuck around with a few weapons builds. It was 400 Allards, and I'm not hating. If it were my own cash I might have thought twice, but whatever.

If a game is legit incomplete, or even if there's on disc DLC (to a degree) it ranges from a little dodgy to extremely shitty, but no one is pointing a gun at my man-bits and forcing it in most cases. Revenue is revenue, and more is gud.

I never said it did. Like my other posts explained, core gamers hate based on group-think. But if dlc provides true and engaging value, it will be bought. Hate doesn't equal sales, value does - no matter anyone's position.

As long as the content does not hinder someone playing the game, I'm okay with it. However if you have areas in the beginning of a game that are not accessible without DC...shame on you.

Thank you for posting this, it is very interesting and reading the developers opinions in the comments section was enlightening. I particularly found Andreas Gschwari Lead Level Designer at Avalanche Studios comments fascinating.
Andreas posted a lot of interesting stats on FtP players and their habits, which I found very informative. The one that stood me was that 90% of people that download the game only play it once, never to play again. Later in the post Andreas questions if people really ripped off by F2P because he (?), never sees these people complain that they do. I thought that as odd, because to me if most people are feeling a game is a rip off they'll simply just not play it again, rather than run to a message board, create a profile and make a post about it.

I guess where I'm going with this, is it seems simply 'voting with your wallet' does not get the point across. If seeing that 90% of consumers never touching the product again isn't an indication that something is terribly wrong, I really don't know what would be.

Jim Sterling provides the best summation of the problem with Resident Evil 6. A game selling 5 million copies and still being a fundamentally failed product, and the methods of production for products like this, will not be saved with microtransactions, premium content, etc.

It will take a massive, fundamental change in how these organizations do business. Sterling correctly pointed out that finding a "hot fix" and exploiting the shit out of it in the short term does not constitute "saving a company" or adapting to the market.

You make the point that you feel that publishers should be looking to adapt to the changing market rather than trying to exploit what's working now in order to better their chances of survival, but isn't that what the Micro-transaction model is anyways? And what about the fact that these companies are attempting to maximize profits with these types of strategies makes you feel like they won't change again when they see consumers getting freemium fatigue?

I'm just trying to understand your viewpoint more clearly.
If they went into free-to-play games, that's one thing. Trying to bend and break the idea of free-to-play to fit into the old $60 fixed priced model is another. You need to make fundamental changes to your business, not just try and tack on quick fixes.

These guys aren't so much trying new ideas as they are taking those ideas and trying to snap them until they resemble the old way of doing things. I covered this in a video a few weeks back if you ever find yourself really bored: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6755-Breaking-the-Bones-of-Business

Margalis

Banned
I wish more people in the games industry would acknowledge that adding micro-transactions to products often goes hand-in-hand with making those products worse, either incidentally or often deliberately.

In theory I'm not opposed to micro-transactions as a rule. However I do think it's very safe to say that most of the time including micro-transactions in a game strongly incentivizes changes in game design that encourage users to take part in those transactions and that make the game worse if you don't partake of them.

On Gamasutra you can find a large number of interviews with social/mobile gaming guys who flat out say that instead of game designers that designers should be a "revenue stream designers" and admit to (or rather brag about) making their games worse in order to sell items. I guess the understanding is that normal consumers don't read Gamasutra and what people say there shouldn't be used against them.

People in the video game industry, at least the rank and file, typically don't enter it just to make money, they enter it because it is fun and creative, which makes "hey businesses are just about making da monies" a bit silly.

Edit: I'm also not completely comfortable with the idea of exploiting "whales", in part because I don't see how that can be a viable long-term strategy, and in part because I suspect that many "whales" are not wealthy heiresses but rather people with gambling addictions living paycheck to paycheck. It's hard to feel good about someone prone to addiction and poor decision-making spending $2000 on Smurfberries.

I haven't read back through the thread much, so I think me and you are arguing from different points of view.

Though, largely, I have no problem with how companies are handling DLC. It was nice getting it free back in the day, but I think the price of DLC is often pretty fair.

I'm more or less focusing exclusively on microtransactions. Thinking of that really terrible Final Fantasy iPhone game that came out recently, or that EA racing game that costs a shit ton if you want to play it even casually.

1-D_FTW

Psychological warfare is an excellent phrase. With all respect to Cliffy, as a lifelong gamer and somebody who loves this medium, I shutter at how perverted game design is going to become. With always connected games, they're going to have unlimited data and between psychologists and economists, it's going to be distilled into the most cynical formula possible.

As for his mini-rant about EA bad, Valve good. Valve is giving TF2 and Dota 2 away for free. And the items being sold aren't game altering or necessary. They're cosmetic. I don't think most people would have issues with this. If this is sustainable, it's actually preferable in many ways to the current mulitplayer format. But even if this does become the market standard, the exploitation in single-player is still going to occur. And in the end, it's going to become game design at its most cynical.

We're already seeing the industry adopting to the new market in a resurgence of successful and good small team "independent" games. Most of these "indie" games aren't talking about micro transactions very much at all. Big developers, on the other hand, are NOT reacting. Adopting the microtransaction model is a reactionary event. The company isn't changing it's outlook, infrastructure, etc to weather the market change, they're trying to find a method to force their current mode of operation to continue to work and wring out as much profit from it that's left.

CliffyB is providing the top to bottom view point, which is usually never correct and completely divorced from the market.

I don't think that CliffyB's support of the business necessitates that he loves the business more than games. He's seen things from both sides of the equation and understands that there are certain necessary evils in the business side of things that happen in order to bring us the games. As much as people hate some of these practices, if the companies can't stay solvent these games don't get made and while a lot of people would be fine with games like BF3, Madden, or CoD dying off because they feel they've become stale or no longer innovate.. the sales show that the vast majority doesn't share that opinion and their gaming would suffer without those titles.

I also don't think looking at the Indy scene is a legitimate comparison due to the nature of the distribution. While they do have less overhead for a number of reasons, they also distribute pretty much entirely digitally, which prevents customers from trading in or sharing games. Indy devs don't have to think about micro-transactions because any consumer who's purchased the game has purchased a new game through appropriate channels. The same can't be said for physical games given the current used game market. Don't take this as a comment on the harm/good of a used game market per say. I'm just using it as an example of why the viewpoints on Micro-transaction would differ between a large publisher and an indy one.

If they went into free-to-play games, that's one thing. Trying to bend and break the idea of free-to-play to fit into the old $60 fixed priced model is another. You need to make fundamental changes to your business, not just try and tack on quick fixes.

These guys aren't so much trying new ideas as they are taking those ideas and trying to snap them until they resemble the old way of doing things. I covered this in a video a few weeks back if you ever find yourself really bored: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6755-Breaking-the-Bones-of-Business

Thanks for the response and I'll definitely watch the video to understand the whole picture.

isn't that what the Micro-transaction model is anyways?

Micro transactions are not adapting or changing with the market. Micro transactions are a way to force the current (and fantastically failing) methods of producing games to continue to work. Micro transactions prop up the industry, not change it. It's a slow death.

It's largely a problem with the market in a public sphere. Stock holders are rarely interested in playing the long game. Any CEO trying to actually adapt their company will see backlash from stock brokers (and they also have to face the fact that doing so may mean a smaller paycheck for him or herself and many other big names).

No one wants to change because of how it negatively affects them. Even minutely. So they'll exploit and prop up a business model that will eventually crash and burn and take them with it.

Nesotenso

I agree with most of his post. I find it annoying that DLC gets announced within a month or week of release, or that nowadays pre-ordering at diff. stores comes with diff. DLC etc. but I just ignore them.

Dyno

I've enjoyed Cliff's input over the years on NeoGAF but the guy has revealed a deep bias towards the industry. He's become an apologist in fact. I'm sure EA and all the other big companies would love to have him, seeing that his point of view lines up with theirs so very nicely.

I don't think that CliffyB's support of the business necessitates that he loves the business more than games. He's seen things from both sides of the equation and understands that there are certain necessary evils in the business side of things that happen in order to bring us the games. As much as people hate some of these practices, if the companies can't stay solvent these games don't get made and while a lot of people would be fine with games like BF3, Madden, or CoD dying off because they feel they've become stale or no longer innovate.. the sales show that the vast majority doesn't share that opinion and their gaming would suffer without those titles.

I also don't think looking at the Indy scene is a legitimate comparison due to the nature of the distribution. While they do have less overhead for a number of reasons, they also distribute pretty much entirely digitally, which prevents customers from trading in or sharing games. Indy devs don't have to think about micro-transactions because any consumer who's purchased the game has purchased a new game through appropriate channels. The same can't be said for physical games given the current used game market. Don't take this as a comment on the harm/good of a used game market per say. I'm just using it as an example of why the viewpoints on Micro-transaction would differ between a large publisher and an indy one.

Honestly, I am more or less drawing a conclusion. However, I am of the opinion that micro transactions do not benefit a game in any way. Or, largely, at least (but not every game came be run like TF2). We even have tons of evidence about how micro transactions hurt the actual game, and I've read many reports that F2P games haven't exactly set the whole world on fire (I've read that Tribes, Hawken, and even Planetside have not reached projections). I largely think the "success" of F2P games is seen on tablets, phones, and a few PC games. I don't think we'll see it translate well to the console space at all.

Largely, point being, there is plenty of evidence that I've seen that contradicts CliffyB. I don't think he's unaware of it and the language he uses is focused disproportionately in favor of making sure Activision, EA, etc do well. Not their games.

As far as BF, Madden, CoD, etc go, who cares if EA lives if Battlefield 4 is a microtransaction hell hole?

"You're out of ammo. Pay $1 for a new payload or wait 10 minutes."

No one wants to play this.

I agree with most of his post. I find it annoying that DLC gets announced within a month or week of release, or that nowadays pre-ordering at diff. stores comes with diff. DLC etc. but I just ignore them.

Yeah, that's a lame practice but it's only a sore spot because of how we used to get DLC for free.

Thankfully, that's more of an incentive than an exploitation.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I am going to try my best to avoid invoking Natural's Law in this post, but we'll see how it goes.

Let's start at the beginning.

The video game industry is just that.

An industry.

Which means that it exists in a capitalistic world. You know, a free market. A place where you’re welcome to spend your money on whatever you please… or to refrain from spending that money.

Those companies that put these products out? They’re for profit businesses. They exist to produce, market, and ship great games ultimately for one purpose. First, for money, then, for acclaim.

And when those companies are publicly traded on the stock market they’re forced to answer to their shareholders. This means that they need to make a lot of money in order to increase the value of the shareholder’s stock. Every quarter.
No one denies that businesses exist to make money. The entire point of the position you're arguing against is that there are good ways to make money and bad ways to make money. There are are business models that a pro-consumer and anti-consumer. The problem arises when you start to use the "free market" as a "free pass." The mere fact that a business needs to make money is not an inherent and impenetrable defense for all of the actions that business decides to take in order to further that goal. Snake oil salesmen were trying to make money as well.

This "free market" defense is tied to Cliffy's later argument, so I'll save the rest of the problems with that for later.

Adjusted for inflation, your average video game is actually cheaper than it ever has been.
This is not because developers and publishers are doing gamers a favor by releasing cheap games. It's because:
1. Demand for video games is relatively elastic, particularly in the weak economy of the past few years. This is also why used game sales are so popular. If publishers thought they could get away with a higher sticker price, they would hike that price up.
2. Older game prices were artificially inflated by the costs of the cartridge media they were shipped on.

Never mind the ratio of the hours of joy you get from a game per dollar compared to film.
This is a cute comparison game makers love to make, largely because movies are the only form of entertainment media with which the value comparison works. Unfortunately, the comparison completely falls apart when you bring television or books into the equation, let alone service-based entertainment like Netflix or Hulu.

To produce a high quality game it takes tens of millions of dollars, and when you add in marketing that can get up to 100+ million. In the AAA console market you need to spend a ton of cash on television ads alone, never mind other marketing stunts, launch events, swag, and the hip marketing agency that costs a boatload in your attempts to “go viral” with something. Not only is the market more crowded than ever but your average consumer has many more entertainment options than ever before in the history of humanity. (Hell, when levels are loading in our games my wife and I read Twitter and Reddit.)

Another factor to consider is the fact that many game development studios are in places like the San Francisco bay area, where the cost of living is extraordinarily high. (Even Seattle is pretty pricey these days.) Those talented artists, programmers, designers, and producers that spent their time building the game you love? They need to eat and feed their families. (Something that the hipster/boomerang kid generation seems to forget all too often.)
Aside from a brief moment where Cliffy confuses extravagance of budget for quality of content, a misconception shared by movie titans like Michael Bay, this is basically just saying that games are expensive to make, and therefore companies need to make money.

Of course they do. But again, no one is saying they don't. There are good ways to go about it, and bad ways to go about it.

I’ve seen a lot of comments online about microtransactions. They’re a dirty word lately, it seems. Gamers are upset that publishers/developers are “nickel and diming them.” They’re raging at “big and evil corporations who are clueless and trying to steal their money.”

I’m going to come right out and say it. I’m tired of EA being seen as “the bad guy.” I think it’s bullshit that EA has the “scumbag EA” memes on Reddit and that Good Guy Valve can Do No Wrong.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m a huge fan of Gabe and co most everything they do. (Remember, I bought that custom portal turret that took over the internet a while back and I have friends over there.) However, it blows my mind that somehow gamers don’t seem to get that Valve is a business, just like any other, and when Valve charges 100$ for an engagement ring in Team Fortress 2 it’s somehow “cool” yet when EA wants to sell something similar it’s seen as “evil.” Yes, guys, I hate to break it to you, as awesome as Valve is they’re also a company that seeks to make as much money as possible.

They’re just way better at their image control.
This is where we can see CliffyB's unwillingness to look past the most obvious surface similarities coming back to bite him. Yes, Valve and EA are both companies. Yes, they both conduct business with the goal of making money. If you want to put more thought into this subject than a third-grader, however, it's quite easy to see where the difference lies.

1.There is a difference between adding microtransactions to a free product in order to make money from it and adding microtransactions to a product for which the customer has already paid 60 dollars. This should be self-evident.
2. There is also a difference between charging for optional cosmetic items and charging for game content. Video games are an interactive medium. This means content that effects the interactivity of the game is fundamentally different from content that only effects the visual look of the game. In Team Fortress 2, for example, Valve makes all items that effect the interactivity of the game (weapons, maps, game modes) available to players for free. The "ring" you're speaking of is an example of the cosmetic items Valve sells that have no impact on the actual gameplay.

Valve put up this web page detailing the 119 free updates (both patches and increased content) they had made to Team Fortress 2. That was three years ago, and they still haven't stopped.

We know exactly how EA responds in a similar situation. Battlefield 3 was a 60 dollar product, and they ask the user base to pay for every additional set of maps and content.

If you bought TF2 on day one, it's price was 20 bucks. Final price for experiencing all of its content is 20 bucks. If you bought Battlefield 3 on day one, its price was 60 bucks. Final price for experiencing all of its content is upwards of 110 bucks.

But nope, no difference there.

Making money and running a business is not inherently evil. It creates jobs and growth and puts food on the table. This country was built on entrepreneurship. Yes, there are obvious issues around basic business ethics (Google “Pinto Fires”) and the need for a company to give back to its’ community, but that’s not what this blog is about right now.
Another strawman. No one's saying that making money is inherently evil. It's not an inherent good, either. Commerce is, in and of itself, a morally neutral concept. It comes down to the way you go about it.

I do find it interesting that CliffyB lambasts those who think that running a business is inherently evil, while using "it's a business" as an inherent good that supposedly makes complaints irrelevant.

People love to beat up on Origin, but they forget that, for a good amount of time, Steam sucked. No one took it seriously for the first while. When Gabe pitched it at GDC to my former co-workers years ago they came back with eye rolls. (Who’s laughing now? All of Valve.) It took Valve years to bang their service into the stellar shape that it is in these days. Yet somehow everyone online forgets this, and they give EA crap about trying to create their own online services. Heaven forbid they see our digital roadmap for the future and try to get on board the “games as services” movement.
Yes. Steam sucked at first. People hated it at first. So why are you surprised that people hate EA's offering at first?

Also, two things:
1. Origin is not competing with the Steam of 2004. It's competing with the Steam of 2013. "They also had crappy service nearly a decade ago" is not a valid defense of current product/platform policies, prices and performance.
2. Origin isn't that new. Everybody in the games press and industry fell for the rebranding, I guess. I still remember EA Download Manager, even if you guys don't.

I remember when the rage was pointed at Epic when we allowed users to purchase weapon skins in Gears 3. I replied to an enraged fan on Twitter that “You’re more than welcome to not buy the optional cosmetic weapon skins that will make you more visible to the enemy.” And you know what? In spite of the uproar, people still bought plenty of them. (I’ve seen the numbers.)
Different people, obviously, than the ones complaining about it. This is just more "don't like it, don't buy it" nonsense, though.

If you don’t like EA, don’t buy their games. If you don’t like their microtransactions, don’t spend money on them. It’s that simple. EA has many smart people working for them (Hi, Frank, JR, and Patrick!) and they wouldn’t attempt these things if they didn’t work. Turns out, they do. I assure you there are teams of analysts studying the numbers behind consumer behavior over there that are studying how you, the gamer, spends his hard earned cash.

If you’re currently raging about this on GAF, or on the IGN forums, or on Gamespot, guess what? You’re the vocal minority. Your average guy that buys just Madden and GTA every year doesn’t know, nor does he care. He has no problem throwing a few bucks more at a game because, hey, why not?
"A lot of people don't care" is not a statement that has any bearing on the rightness or wrongness of any situation.

The market as I have previously stated is in such a sense of turmoil that the old business model is either evolving, growing, or dying. No one really knows. “Free to play” aka “Free to spend 4 grand on it” is here to stay, like it or not. Everyone gets a Smurfberry! Every single developer out there is trying to solve the mystery of this new model.
I love Free 2 Play. I've got no less than 5 F2P games installed on my hard drive right now.

Just like everything else, there's a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it.

And all of it is different than adding microtransactions to a game that the customer is already paying money for.

Every console game MUST have a steady stream of DLC because, otherwise, guess what? It becomes traded in, or it’s just rented. In the console space you need to do anything to make sure that that disc stays in the tray. I used to be offended by Gamestop’s business practices but let’s be honest…they’re the next Tower Records or Sam Goody. It’s only a matter of time.
The games industry is not the same as the music industry, first of all. I hate to break it to you. There are many, many ways in which they have faced and will face entirely different situations. This post is already long as hell so I won't go into them.

Remember, if everyone bought their games used there would be no more games. I don’t mean to knock you if you’re cash strapped – hell, when I was a kid and I had my paper route I would have bought the hell out of used games. But understand that when faced with this issue those that fund and produce those games you love have to come up with all sorts of creative ways for the business to remain viable and yes, profitable.
Another strawman. No one is suggesting that all games should be used games. (Not that this makes sense even as a hypothetical. If everyone bought games used, there'd be no new buyers to get used games from.) However, as I've said before, there's a right way and a wrong way.

Saying a game has microtransactions is a giant generalization, really, it is an open ended comment. What can you buy? Can you buy a cosmetic hat? Or can I spend a buck to go to the top of the leaderboard? Can I buy a bigger gun? What about gambling? (It’s like saying a game is open world; that could mean GTA, Assassin’s Creed, or heck, even Borderlands.) Which one do you actually mean? Do Zynga’s practices often feel sleazy? Sure. Don’t like it? Don’t play it. Don’t like pay to win? You have the freedom to opt out and not even touch the product.
People didn't have to buy snake oil, either. That doesn't mean the snake oil salesman wasn't shady for selling it.

No one seemed too upset at Blizzard when you could buy a pet in World of Warcraft – a game that you had to buy that was charging a monthly fee.
I don't think you're remembering this correctly, Cliff.

When I was a child and the Ultimate Nintendo Fanboy I spent every time I earned from my paper route on anything Nintendo. Nintendo Cereal. Action figures. Posters. Nintendo Power. Why? Because I loved what Nintendo meant to me and I wanted them to keep bringing me more of this magic.
Great.

Also irrelevant.

People like to act like we should go back to “the good ol’ days” before microtransactions but they forget that arcades were the original change munchers. Those games were designed to make you lose so that you had to keep spending money on them. Ask any of the old Midway vets about their design techniques. The second to last boss in Mortal Kombat 2 was harder than the last boss, because when you see the last boss that’s sometimes enough for a gamer. The Pleasure Dome didn’t really exist in the original Total Carnage. Donkey Kong was hard as hell on purpose. (“Kill screen coming up!”)
Hey, uh...

Arcades are dead, man. A very large reason for that because people realized that it was more convenient for them to go buy the home console version of the arcade game, pay that one-time fee and access everything at their own pace.

I’ve been transparent with most folks I’ve worked with in my career as to why I got into this business. First, to make amazing products – because I love the medium more than any. Second, to be visible. I enjoy the notoriety that I’ve managed to stir up. And finally, yes, to make money. Money doesn’t buy happiness, but it sure is a nice lubricant when you can take that trip you’ve always wanted or feed your family or pay your bills on time.

And that brings me full circle to my main point. If you don’t like the games, or the sales techniques, don’t spend your money on them.

You vote with your dollars.
So here's his bottom line: if you don't like it, don't buy it. The implication is that if everyone votes with their dollars, the free market will take care of itself.

The only problem is that it doesn't work that way, has never worked that way, and will never work that way.

The free market is not a perfect self-correcting entity. If you think a business is being scummy about what they're offering, the correct response is to both not buy what they're selling and spread the word that they're being scummy and why.

Ask yourself this: why do organisms like the Food and Drug Administration and the SEC exist, accusations of corruption aside? Why do we try to break up monopolies whenever possible? It's because there are certain things the free market is not good at, protecting consumers chief among them.

There are many, MANY things that "vote with your wallet" will not solve. In theory, the free market should weed out any unsafe medicines that make it to store shelves eventually, so let's get rid of all safety checks and vote with our wallets. Companies defrauding people on a scale to match Enron? Don't like it, don't buy the stock. It'll work itself out eventually. A company has a monopoly on a necessary product? Don't worry about it, you don't need oil anyway. Vote with your wallet. That guy's running a pyramid scheme? Whatever, man. No need to get your panties all in a bunch. Don't like it, don't join it. No need to broadcast why it's a bad idea or anything.

Philthy

I think the one game "doing it right" at the moment is Planetside 2. Its free to play, and the starting weapons are all really, really good. In fact, they're going to be some of your most used weapons months later. However, there are dozens of side grades, a few upgrades, and a couple must haves in the mix. On a normal day, each weapon can cost around $7. However, they have triple cash days where you plunk down $10 for points, and you get $30 of points. There are daily sales on items for 50% off, or pack-in deals with 7 weapons for $15, etc etc etc.

The end result is that you really don't NEED to buy anything. But if you enjoy the game, really enjoy it, you're going to be buying everything they offer. You're going to wait for those triple cash days and instead of spending $10, you're going to drop $50, $75, maybe even $100. It is not uncommon to hear people talking about how they've spent hundreds on this free to play game. New content rolls out almost weekly, and a great game keeps getting even more better.

This might come off as an advertisement, and it's not meant to. But the Planetside 2 folks have "nailed it" when it comes to F2P and "microtransactions".

I am hopelessly addicted to the game. I have spent about $90 on this "free" game. I have upgraded my entire PC system to play this "free" game. I have upgraded my entire sound system for this "free" game. I have even bought a newer, larger desk. The running joke is that Planetside 2 has sold more 3570k processors than Doom/2 sold 486s.

And I'm still willing to throw more money into their hats if they keep it as fun as it has been. They did it right.

I really don't disagree with anything Cliffy went on about except the used games comments. Which isn't even worth throwing poo over.

Remember when a mod community drove a video games success? Apprently everyone within the industry except a select few has. Everything has become a cash grab, and I hope the industry Crashes.

Top Bottom