• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's move to real cash hurts UK buyers, helps Canadian buyers

nib95

Banned
Microsoft is trying real hard to lose their UK dominance. In-fact, I have a strong feeling they will lose it this next generation to the PS4.

jmood88

All the "fuck you, Microsoft, yay Sony" stuff is just further proof that people aren't actually reading anything when it comes to the Xbox One and are complaining for the sake of complaining.

KorrZ

I feel bad for UK-GAF but.... "helps Canadian buyers"

tumblr_inline_mnryz5cxHu1qz4rgp.jpg

lol everyone has been hating the points system for this entire generation. Now we get it converted to local currency and they complaint even more!

1126.gif

Never change, Cheap-o-GAF.

lol everyone has been hating the points system for this entire generation. Now we get it converted to local currency and they complaint even more!

http://replygif.net/i/1126.gif[IMG]

Never change, Cheap-o-GAF.[/QUOTE]

Everyone hating on the points system? Nah, I was always in favour of the points system.

Nutter

Some of the replies in this thread... SMH.

This forum is just full of bipolar asshats. I want points, no I want cash options, no wait I want points on sale, no wait I want games on sales using cash.

Amazing.

nib95

Banned
Well the prices are now in line with those on PSN, so I'm not sure how people at large will react....

Exactly, like I said, trying to lose that dominance. The 360 did as well as it did largely because it was more affordable. UK market is dire right now gaming wise, and everyone is after a cheap deal. They've completely done a role reversal with Sony with the PS3 launch. To clarify, the Xbox One is launching here at £429. That's actually more than the premium PS3 ($599!) model launched in the UK (£425). By comparison, the PS4 is £349, £80 cheaper, that's just under $120 cheaper...

This forum is just full of bipolar asshats. I want points, no I want cash options, no wait I want points on sale, no wait I want games on sales using cash.

Amazing.

Can you find a single example of a person actually going through any of these changes?

nib95

Banned

Amazing.

Lol at missing the point. I think most people wanted cash options, but just one's that lined up price wise to the current points system. Not a cash system that was more expensive than the points system. But you can't have everything I suppose.

I blame this on you Canadians, why did your currency become stronger unlike the US and then you all started to complain about the Microsoft points being unequal to your currency worth, you ruined it for the UK, the country where Xbox is our No.1 console now.
Parody post XD.
So glad I'm not got anything to buy on the 360 thanks to lack of hard drive space XD

You're in marketing aren't you?

I wish, I would make more than I do as a 6th Grade School Teacher, that is for sure. But I wouldn't be able to sit here during the Summers enjoying all the fun of NeoGAF.

In all seriousness, I tried to think how this could be spun if needed, and that was all I could come up with. When I typed it, it sounded like something Mattrick might say.

Now I miss him! lol.

Kinyou

Why is it that itunes is the only store (at least that I know of) that doesn't fuck you over with varying region prices?

iMax

That makes no sense, unless you think that MS somehow takes the 400 scrip cents in your account and invests them or something. The points were always yours - you would have $5 extra one day and then get $5 off something the next day.

There's no money gained by them unless you opened an account, bought one thing, left a bunch of points over, and never made another purchase in your life. Do you think that enough people (or any people, really) do that to make it "how they make their money"?

OK, do you have points currently sitting in your account? That's how Microsoft makes their short term cash. Because you've given them money, but you haven't redeemed all of it for purchases. That residual amount is effectively their net asset until you redeem it for a purchase.

Shantom

I wish they had done this a few months ago in the UK, so that all the people who buy Call of Duty branded 1200 point cards could get home and find out Microsoft had ripped them off. The outrage resulting from that would have been the only way this could have been reversed. Right now I doubt many people care.

Dunkers92

Just downloaded the update. Had 1200 points. They gave me £10.20 when converting. The things that were 1200 points before are now £11.99 so I lost out there. Was planning on downloading CoJ:Gunslinger but I now don't have enough in my account. Pretty annoying

Unless I'm missing something, there seems to be no way to subtract the balance of your account from a purchase if you don't have enough in your account to cover the full purchase, which blows if there isn't a way to do this.

I changed the title in part to note that this wasn't UK-only, and in part to note that it's a function of the move to real cash, but also because Canadians win big on this.

Before:
800 msp -> $11.45 (+ tax)

Now:
800 msp -> $9.99 (+ tax)

Also I had 6720 msp before conversion, which should be $84 USD worth, they're giving me $97 CDN for it. Awww yeahhhh

Points were an easy way for MS to ignore currency value and this is why I rarely bought anything on Live. About time this changed, it only took eight fucking years.

GeoGonzo

Then they could convert the existing prices to the rised price, and it would still be profitable after that initial conversion

Look, they had three options here:

1) Switch to real world currency and keep current prices, selling games and DLC cheaper than Sony or sometimes Steam. (Normally I don't lol but... lol. I mean, seriously.)

2) Raise prices to PSN levels, convert existing points to the new purchase value. This allows some people to stockpile on points -now-, bypassing the price hike for as long as their points last. Dumb. Arbitrary.

3) Raise prices to PSN levels, convert existing points to their original purchase value. Everyone gets back as much money as they spent. Everyone is affected the same by the new prices.

And well, then there's option 4 which would be keeping MS points and what I wished they had done... but reading this thread is a real eye opener: I guess they really were too complicated for some people.

For those in the UK, I suggest following me

BsLSgBx.png

Yeah, good call. I only did that a few months ago and I wonder why I didn't do it sooner. So, you'll migrate to Ouya, I guess? Because hell, PSN is apparently too expensive!

EvB

People have literally been asking for this for years.
Well fucking done, are you pleased now? Don't say you weren't warned.

iMax

Just had my Microsoft points 'converted' in the beta. They've given me around 2-3% more credit than they're actually worth, but they're still worth less than the 'new value'.

I had exactly 1600 in my account which has now been converted to £13.78 — £1.21 less than their 'new value' of £14.99.

Gowans

I wish they had done this a few months ago in the UK, so that all the people who buy Call of Duty branded 1200 point cards could get home and find out Microsoft had ripped them off. The outrage resulting from that would have been the only way this could have been reversed. Right now I doubt many people care.

I can see loads of cases of that coming, or people doing it on purpose to make a point and complain.

Prezhulio

can someone on the beta see if converted MSP are usable in the Windows Store/Microsoft store account wide, or are they locked down to just Xbox Live purchases?

iMax

can someone on the beta see if converted MSP are usable in the Windows Store/Microsoft store account wide, or are they locked down to just Xbox Live purchases?

It says they've been added to "my Microsoft account", so I'm guessing it's all Windows platforms.

Amazing.
I'm not saying I'm not an asshat but I don't think I've ever once complained about the point system. It's served me well over the years.

You can now apparently buy WP games using MS account funds. I assume the same is true across the board for Windows Store content.

Well the prices are now in line with those on PSN, so I'm not sure how people at large will react....

800pt XBLA games will be noticeably cheaper on PSN/Steam. Good thing they moved on to 1200pts as being the standard, right?

People aren't complaining solely about the transition, people are complaining about Microsoft hiking the prices up by 33%. A 800pt game now effectively costs 1100pts, for example.

Prezhulio

It says they've been added to "my Microsoft account", so I'm guessing it's all Windows platforms.

hmmm good news if it's truly just a balance in my microsoft account.

guess my xbox one will be discounted 66% thanks to stocking up on MSP from recent pricing glitch.

There are already posts about it on there.

Yeah, I just noticed the posts. Lots of anger.

I would but I can't get in

Are you logged into your account?

800pt XBLA games will be noticeably cheaper on PSN/Steam. Good thing they moved on to 1200pts as being the standard, right?

People aren't complaining solely about the transition, people are complaining about Microsoft hiking the prices up by 33%. A 800pt game now effectively costs 1100pts, for example.

I guess we'll see, but I don't believe games will be more expensive on 360. They'll certainly feel more expensive now that we've lost the points benefits, but prices won't see a dramatic rise on 360.

They'll be standard across the board. £9.99 on PS3/Steam will translate to £9.99 on 360. MS would be insane not to ensure this happens...

Gestault

The idea of points is so people always buy more than they need. They ship in increments of 1600, right? Most DLC is 1200, so most people will just buy two sets of 1600. Profit.

Yeah I know. But the general consumer buys it at the store. That's how they make their money, from residual amounts.

In what way is this different from buying a $20 gift card? In fact, since dollar-amount cards aren't taxed, it's much, much worse. With a 1600 msp card, you can buy a $20 game. If you have a $20 gift card, you aren't able to buy a $20 game due to tax.

Storm360

Yeah, good call. I only did that a few months ago and I wonder why I didn't do it sooner. So, you'll migrate to Ouya, I guess? Because hell, PSN is apparently too expensive!

PSN has discount on pretty much every game that comes out since I'm a PSN member

This isn't about money, its about the fact that they essentially stole money from me

keit4

Banned
I will miss the point system :( One of the many reasons why Xbox marketplace was much better than the PSN Store

I guess we'll see, but I don't believe games will be more expensive on 360. They'll certainly feel more expensive now that we've lost the points benefits, but prices won't see a dramatic rise on 360.

We're already seeing, right now. Literally every single thing on XBLA is more expensive than it was yesterday.

(In the UK)

We're already seeing, right now. Literally every single thing on XBLA is more expensive than it was yesterday.

(In the UK)

That's due to the loss of the points system that benefited the UK quite a bit. I'm sure prices will normalise once the update rolls out to all users.

At least that's the hope....

Top Bottom