• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayDat

Gonna repost this near the top of the page since no one responded last time.
Hi Gaf Hop! I haven’t been active here in a very long time, but I do read nearly everything. This is by far my favorite subcommunity on Neogaf. Starting later this week, I’ll be posting more regularly. I’m still reading through the last bits of OTXV. If you haven’t noticed by now, CRS (the person who made the last four AOTY threads) doesn’t post here very much anymore. I’m not expecting him to make a comeback anytime soon either. Here’s a sample of his last few posts.

You all suck.
Burn this place down.
Burn it all down

I wouldn’t blame him for bowing out of tallying the votes this time around. Is anyone planning on doing the AOTY thread? I volunteer to do the next one. Sorry if this has been decided already. If someone else is set on doing the job then I’ll back off.

I think I can whip up something in Python to help me count the votes. If no one protests then I'll put up the thread in mid December. You'd all have about 4 weeks to participate. Sound good?

FZZ

Banned
ir1KAs9h.jpg

Only real fans

rambis

Banned
So in other Nas news.. GAF help me on this one. I'm not sure if this is old but I heard a Gucci Mane song called "changed my phone" that is supposed to be a Nas diss? Please tell me this is not real. I mean would it even be worth Nas to respond if so?
It would likely be in Nas' best interest to not get into any kind of beef with Gucci.

IrishNinja

CRS is like esh, he might pop in if something really interesting goes down but mostly seems done here, which is understandable if a few of ya'll took some hard looks at yourselves

me eating mcdonalds? da fukk?

Im a dumpster behind kentaco hut man watch how you speak on my name

my bad breh

is 400 Degreez considered early Cash Money? because that's a good one

it's my favorite & easily one of the best, i wanna say. juvie & mannie were the better parts of that team

we need that dude thabiz drove off to come back with his cash money reviews

i'd be alright with a full-on trade

If I have to hear Jay is a snake/abandoned his people from the 90s one more time.

(Also can someone recommend me an older, early-mid 2000s non mainstream album, from a popular or mildly known obfuscating underground rapper to listen to?)

irish we know damn well your dusty ass has that iPod classic with the 8gbs of mid-2000s backpack rap

dont front now fam, show em ya power level

IrishNinja

fam i ditched a lot of it during the lupe purge of 2011 or so, the only non-nujabes/hydeout stuff that survived were go-to's like POS - Never Better, Shad - The Old Prince Still Lives at Home, and any obscure stuff Alchemist did

i guess there was that one Asher Roth tape, early KRIT, Clean Soul Forces, Hail Mary Mallon, Kno, Doppelgangaz stuff but we're well past the mid aughts

the thing is, after that point in time you could find better on most of des' bandcamp lists, or just go a bit earlier to shit like Company Flow, Cannibal Ox, or just hit up some good Boot Camp Clik/D.I.T.C. type shit and purify yourself in the waters of lake minnatonka

*edit just don't chill with andrew and listen to swagerless blackaliscious/jurassic 5 type shit, there's better out there ya'll

Uhhhh....Jedi Mind Tricks's Violent By Design?

fuck see already too late

Can't stand them (as I've listened to them)
Only good thing about them is that Vinnie Paz is a Jay fan which becomes useful when arguing against Underground folks.
Give me another suggestion please.

LOL Vinnie posted an awesome rebuttal when he praised 50's debut as being incredible and called it better than the "underground shit you listen to."

just don't chill with andrew and listen to swagerless blackaliscious/jurassic 5 type shit, there's better out there ya'll

Blazing Arrow is such a great album.

fam i ditched a lot of it during the lupe purge of 2011 or so, the only non-nujabes/hydeout stuff that survived were go-to's like POS - Never Better, Shad - The Old Prince Still Lives at Home, and any obscure stuff Alchemist did

i guess there was that one Asher Roth tape, early KRIT, Clean Soul Forces, Hail Mary Mallon, Kno, Doppelgangaz stuff but we're well past the mid aughts

the thing is, after that point in time you could find better on most of des' bandcamp lists, or just go a bit earlier to shit like Company Flow, Cannibal Ox, or just hit up some good Boot Camp Clik/D.I.T.C. type shit and purify yourself in the waters of lake minnatonka

*edit just don't chill with andrew and listen to swagerless blackaliscious/jurassic 5 type shit, there's better out there ya'll

fuck see already too late
What two artists from what you listed would you recommend the most?

I listened to House of pain's debut because I didn't have anything else to do. I have to say, this House of Pain debut isn't all that bad.....for its production.

The rapping....eh not so much. Shame the beats are wasted on such mediocre rapping.

Still can't really shake the fact that they're a one hit wonder or some other pop group. Definitely feels like a relic.

HiResDes

Gonna repost this near the top of the page since no one responded last time.

I think I can whip up something in Python to help me count the votes. If no one protests then I'll put up the thread in mid December. You'd all have about 4 weeks to participate. Sound good?
You might as well but I'd think on it if were you gonna be a complete waste of time if CRS had to beg people to vote when this thread had twice as many active users and now we're living in Trumps America where Millennials can't find a reason to vote with white supremacist running.
Best early Cash Money albums?
400 Degrees, It's All On U, Choppa City in the Ghetto, Guerilla Warfare
Spurs fans. Yuck.
Spurs play real basketball, European swag
CRS is like esh, he might pop in if something really interesting goes down but mostly seems done here, which is understandable if a few of ya'll took some hard looks at yourselves

my bad breh

it's my favorite & easily one of the best, i wanna say. juvie & mannie were the better parts of that team

i'd be alright with a full-on trade
Sorry had to steal your steelo

Oh and Bounce check out Qwel/Typical Cats

PlayDat

I listened to House of pain's debut because I didn't have anything else to do. I have to say, this House of Pain debut isn't all that bad.....for its production.

The rapping....eh not so much. Shame the beats are wasted on such mediocre rapping.

Still can't really shake the fact that they're a one hit wonder or some other pop group. Definitely feels like a relic.

I picked up that CD in a record store a few months ago. I liked it, but I'd agree it's not great. Their biggest hit was Jump Around, but I'm personally most familiar with I'm A Swing it from their second album. It was on the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 soundtrack. That was also my first time listening to Del and Xzibit. Those games exposed me to all sorts of cool music.

You might as well but I'd think on it if were you gonna be a complete waste of time if CRS had to beg people to vote when this thread had twice as many active users and now we're living in Trumps America where Millennials can't find a reason to vote with white supremacist running.

I guess I have the people's mandate then. Gonna get to work. I'll post reminders.

I picked up that CD in a record store a few months ago. I liked it, but I'd agree it's not great. Their biggest hit was Jump Around, but I'm personally most familiar with I'm A Swing it from their second album. It was on the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 soundtrack. That was also my first time listening to Del and Xzibit. Those games exposed me to all sorts of cool music.

Dj Muggs is so underrated. Kind of a shame that he's known for two of the most annoyingly overplayed rap songs of the early 90's.

PlayDat

Low voter turnout doesn't bother me much anyway. I haven't made anything interesting in months. Writing program to gather the results would be fun challenge. If for some reason I can't get it to work properly then manually counting them won't take very long. I'll only have to do it for 1-2 dozen posts.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
If I have to hear Jay is a snake/abandoned his people from the 90s one more time.

(Also can someone recommend me an older, early-mid 2000s non mainstream album, from a popular or mildly known obfuscating underground rapper to listen to?)

Have you listened to Little Brother? They had a couple of really good albums in the mid 2000's

IrishNinja

damn, des got real up in here

also bounce i dunno, if you ain't heard say cannibal ox give cold vein a go. other than that, i mean most of what i listed is prolly on bandcamp/YT, just grab an artist and give it a track or two, most aren't gonna do much if they don't catch you early on, i figure

maaaaaan a younger irish ninja would've been full HOP defense force, haha..that was my shit
personally, i loved the shit out of Same As It Ever Was: Back from the Dead, On Point, Who's the Man etc. if you really wanna try something different out, hit up Truth Crushed.

maaaaaan a younger irish ninja would've been full HOP defense force, haha..that was my shit
personally, i loved the shit out of Same As It Ever Was: Back from the Dead, On Point, Who's the Man etc. if you really wanna try something different out, hit up Truth Crushed.

I've heard their followup is better. I'll check it out, I suppose.

Nibel

Maybe we can trade some GAF-Hop members with members of other OT community threads and increase the quality of posts in this thread
mzin5cm3xsl3.png

Also @Andrew please stop dropping the n-word in posts only to edit them a few moments later, I know it's some kind of high-class trolling but stop playing with rhetorical sensibilities like that

Koozek

Maybe we can trade some GAF-Hop members with members of other OT community threads and increase the quality of posts in this thread
mzin5cm3xsl3.png

Also @Andrew please stop dropping the n-word in posts only to edit them a few moments later, I know it's some kind of high-class trolling but stop playing with rhetorical sensibilities like that
L
O
L

Wait, did you really fall for ViewtifulJC? If so:
L
O
L

Cheddahz

Banned
You'll be back in two days to complain about how it doesn't live up to your exceptions, just like every other nerd on this site

Koozek saying goodbye cuz he know he bout to catch the perma in the review thread

"Non-Rap AOTY:
1. James Blake - The Colour In Anything"

Yes

Koozek

You'll be back in two days to complain about how it doesn't live up to your exceptions, just like every other nerd on this site

Nice Top 10, Koozek. Some of these are gonna be in my list as well.

FFXV is still gonna be garbage.

Koozek saying goodbye cuz he know he bout to catch the perma in the review thread

"Non-Rap AOTY:
1. James Blake - The Colour In Anything"

Yes

Y'all be standing in line to take your L's this week. At least do it with dignity.

nWl3qpB.gif

I'm not gonna be in the review thread nor will I ready any review before I beat it myself. I'm expecting a decent mid-80's and that's totally okay. I see this more like a stepping stone and technical foundation for the future - a first step in the right direction for the series w.r.t. to modern AAA game development. If it's also good that's nice of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom