• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen Wolf (Season 5) |OT| Watch your (six) pack.

First Episode: 8/10

Good action, but mediocre plot. In fact,the action was better than usual for TW.

Stiles's moments were cute, and Scott was well... Scott. I don't know why they can never give him any skills... Though he was decent in that last fight scene.

Not so sure about that random friend that showed up from when they were kids. Would be a bit cliche if he ends up evil.

Villain was underwhelming.

Opening sequence has grown on me, but I still find the overall idea kind of lame.

Second Episode: 7/10

Lol, I wish I could be as mean to my AP students as this bitch.

I feel like they are dumping too many new characters again. Dilutes them all...

Boring episode overall, and disappointed that new guy ended up evil, just as I predicted.

I feel like the plot isn't advancing at all in the first two episodes. All setup.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So two of those characters are called (from the closed captioning):
The Surgeon
and
The Pathologist

Overall I just feel like this season is more of the same. I feel exactly the same about this season as I did about last season at this point.

Only last season had a decent mystery.

jwk94

Choreography is still bad, Kiera still sucks but she got a cooler sword, and Stiles and Malia are still the best TV couple.

Overall I just feel like this season is more of the same. I feel exactly the same about this season as I did about last season at this point.

Only last season had a decent mystery.
Wait, how did you see the second episoe?

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck, this starts tonight!?

Edit: Wait, this started last night!?

Last night with a second episode tonight.

Photo recap is up.

a8cfb13f280c488dc898a1068c189918.jpg

Faenix1

My cable company listed 'em as the Teen Wolf movie from 19-whatever so I nearly missed both. Pisses me off when they do stupid shit like that.

Though this show isn't as good as it used to be, I can see that already.

ionitron

Lol I'm sorry I know this is incredibly late but when I saw the OP title, I was like "This made it to Season 5?!?!"

I watched this show somewhat avidly the first season as a... -checks air date- 15/16 year old girl hahaha. And then dropped it after about 5 episodes into season 2, not entirely out of lack of interest, more so because it was becoming hard for me to actually be able to watch the episodes (No cable, MTV. com being a pain, blabla).

Read the OP and laughed at the season summaries. I can't believe the show introduced that stuff? So weird. And then I find out Allison died?! Jeez.

Monocle

I'm back from the great culling of E3 2015.

So... how about those premiere episodes?

- I wasn't really feeling the steampunk cosplayer brigade, but after Episode 2 they seem to be more of a credible threat. They're still kinda theatrical and cheesy. I'm hoping it's somewhat justified by a surprise unmasking later on. Maybe we've already met some of these people!

- Kira's sword belt is nifty as hell. Is anyone else hoping she goes all Ivy Valentine with that thing later on? Give us some of that sword whip action.

- I liked the part where Liam was stressing about coming out as a werewolf to his gay friend Mason. To be fair, I can see how he'd think Mason would have no idea what it's like to hide a fundamental aspect of himself from people he cares about for fear of being rejected. How could he? But Liam should have figured that a hip lad of Mason's age had heard of the X-Men and could relate on some level to the tension between humans and mutantkind. Anyway, it all worked out in the end. But the next time you have to come out to someone, Liam, just take a deep breath and think of Iceman.

- I was with Stiles the whole time. The new kid was selling himself so well to Scott & friends that I could only assume he was a no-good traitorous d-bag in a hunky wrapper. Someone should have unwrapped him at some point. Cornered him in the showers and asked him some hard questions. For safety reasons.

- Speaking of unwrapped hunks, the confinement of Parrish's olympian frame within his uniform is the most disgusting injustice this show has portrayed since the senseless axe murdering of that miscellaneous shirtless guy's family in Season 4, and I for one have just about had enough. I am fully prepared to boycott this show every single day—between my weekly viewings of new episodes—for the remainder of the season. Free Parrish! (From the tyranny of fabric...)

- It's good to see these premiere episodes devote as much time to character moments and key relationships as past seasons. The core of Scott's strength as a leader is his loyalty to his friends, and here in early Season 5 we see how much he's grown as a stabilizing force for his pack. My favorite example is when he patiently gives the Liam encouragement he needs as he's learning to control his transformation. So supportive. I really love their relationship. I also like how Scott is learning Deaton's trade and working hard in school to become a vet, and the way that fits his goal to keep his pack together as they all move for college (Season 6? Yes please!). Scott went from a regular kid with bad grades to a beta werewolf who couldn't control himself without Allison and Derek to a reliable, compassionate, hardworking true alpha with a pack of close friends and a place in Lydia's advanced bio class. Good character arc.

- In the first episode it was noted that an alpha's powers can be stolen by a beta they created. We also saw Scott fighting Liam in Lydia's vision. That's obvious foreshadowing for a conflict between Scott and Liam, and it could even lead to something as drastic as Liam becoming the main protagonist if Tyler Posey chooses to leave the show. I hope he sticks around though.

- Common wisdom holds that you should keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Well... the new guy is definitely an enemy, so I'm crossing my fingers that when Jackson shows up he'll be willing to take one for the team. (fake spoiler)
Take one all weekend if necessary.

- Parrish has good taste in coffee. I still haven't figured him and Lydia out. Maybe they'll develop some sort of weird romantic connection just in time for Jackson to show up and make everything awkward? I hope not. It should be more of a platonic friendship like the one between Vanessa Ives and Dr. Frankenstein in Penny Dreadful, where it's a bond of mutual trust between two people who have common ground. In Parrish and Lydia's case, it's their struggle to understand their unusual abilities and make sense of the dangerous new world they've become a part of.

- Kids, don't hit your false parents with hammers. Even if you're a gorgeous stud with a winning smile, it's still rude.

All in all I'd say this season is off to a more promising start than the previous one. I know that for some viewers the show is sticking too closely to its established formula. It's part of the balancing act that every series has to pull off: change enough to feel fresh, but not so much that fans from the early days are alienated. As someone who's been following this series since its very first episode, I was happy with the premiere of this new season. It's great that the characters haven't just "moved on" from all the crazy experiences they've had and the friends they've lost. Season 5 is already serving us familiar places, hunky new faces, and the engaging blend of comedy and authentic human drama and outright horror that can only work with the uncommonly great cast chemistry that sets Teen Wolf apart from many other shows. I'm so glad it's finally back!

Penguin

Curious to see if Stiles' paranoia (Which we already know is justified) will cause a divide in the team over the season.

Interesting framing device with Lydia in the first ep setting up the season.

Welcome back Monocle! :)

Another good episode. I like all the plot lines they're setting up. Too bad Theo is evil, because otherwise he's lovely.

Monocle

Welcome back Monocle! :)

Another good episode. I like all the plot lines they're setting up. Too bad Theo is evil, because otherwise he's lovely.
Thanks! I saw your earlier post but I don't have Twitter. ;_;

The twins were kind of evil too, but that didn't stop them from getting down with Danny and Lydia, and ultimately siding with Scott. At the risk of overusing the Naruto Effect (where the good guy talks the bad guy into becoming a good guy), I wouldn't mind Theo joining Scott's pack for real. The last couple of seasons pruned the cast. There are vacancies to fill.

Thanks! I saw your earlier post but I don't have Twitter. ;_;

The twins were kind of evil too, but that didn't stop them from getting down with Danny and Lydia, and ultimately siding with Scott. At the risk of overusing the Naruto Effect (where the good guy talks the bad guy into become a good guy), I wouldn't mind Theo joining Scott's pack for real. The last couple of seasons pruned the cast. There are vacancies to fill.
No worries. :) Do you have tumblr maybe?

RE: Theo, I could see him turning good. I mean, all he did was smash his fake dad's hand with a hammer. That's like a drop in the bucket compared to some other TW baddies. He's practically a saint.

Really enjoyed both episodes. Definitely feels like more of the same, but I can't really complain about that. I mean, seriously. So far we've had a werewolf with glow stick talons, Lydia channeling Ryu, terrible fight choreography and a belt that transforms into a sword. Plus, I'm not going to lie. My mind went to a really perverse place when Theo asked Stiles if he wanted a DNA sample. I am not proud of myself.

Just caught the first episode, will watch the second tomorrow night. I'm already off to a late start, goddammit.

Anyways, first episode thoughts:

- Steampunk Psychos make for interesting baddies. The uniforms seem like a bit much, but I hope there's a reason for why they look like Doctor Who rejects. But they do come off as creepy.

- The Scott/Liam relationship continues to be an adorable analog to father/son / brother/brother.

- Who the fuck are you, Leo, get the fuck outta here. I know it's Theo, but I had heard Leo so that's what I'm sticking with.

- A fucking belt-sword?! Okay, I'll allow it.

- Parrish continues to be a cool customer. Though, I really hope Lydia's 18, otherwise this is getting very weird very quickly, but I'll allow it cause Holland Roden and Ryan Kelley have great chemistry together.

- Malia is the GOAT girlfriend, for reals. I wanna marry her, yo. Stiles, put a ring on it. Also, stop being insecure.

- 'AA'. Man, Teen Wolf knows how to tug at the heartstrings.

- So, were the Steampunk Psychos responsible for the weird lightning storm?

- Okay, those flashbacks/flashforwards: Parrish burning, that's no big deal, but! Mama McCall slapping Sheriff Stilinski? Whaaaaaaaa? Kira leaving? Eh, obviously she'll be back. Stiles in a car crash, but they won't kill him duh. The Desert Wolf? She'll probably be the new Kate Argent-esque psychotic wild card.

- Did like the return of Malia's dad. Todd Stashwick is always mildly amusing.

Monocle

No worries. :) Do you have tumblr maybe?
Nothing public, but I'll probably make one if I'm ever gone for another extended period. Hopefully I won't have to.

RE: Theo, I could see him turning good. I mean, all he did was smash his fake dad's hand with a hammer. That's like a drop in the bucket compared to some other TW baddies. He's practically a saint.
I've forgiven his beautiful face already. And I will forgive him even more when he has a locker room or workout scene.

Shahadan

Seen the first ep. Lol.

-Lydia's Shock Farts were hilarious.
-Crow guy should have lived longer
-Kira's mom is still there only for relevant exposition
-"HEY YOU CAME TO KILL ME I DON'T KNOW WHO OR WHAT YOU ARE BUT YOU SHOULD LEAVE AND MAYBE TRY AGAIN LATER, I'M NOT ASKING QUESTIONS, 'KAY?"
-The cheap Bioshock Triad made me roll
-the final death montage was so, so bad holy shit. It was almost parody.

This season will be great!
I wish they didn't try so hard to appear serious or as if the show was quality or something, it ruins my fun a bit.

T.O.P

Banned
Awww she's so cute with short hair!

@oh Hello there :3

@@was that supposed to look cool? lol and this song wtf

@@@forgot how hot Parrish is

@@@@we power rangers now lololol

That rascal is nothing special, guys.

BTW, lol at Doctor McCall.

Malia is the best. No filter and willing to torture a dude for Stiles. My kind of girl.

Lol, obviously Laim's love interest. She's already funny.

Also, Scott in AP Bilogy? Character development.

Liam is playing his buddy nicely. Like you all, he appeals to his love for hunks.

Feel bad for this girl that the Steampunk Psychos are fucking with.

Parrish is a fucking Phoenix, duh.

Liam/Stiles teamup, woooooo

Parrish and Lydia date? Ooooookay. They're lucky they have great chemistry that helps me overlook view weird all of this is.

Theo is totally playing Scott, Stiles, and Liam.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh shit, best friends at odds? I don't like Stiles yelling at Scott!

But they total bros

Oh shit, Liam's being a werewolf is outta the closet.

What a well timed Wolf appearance.

What the fuck, fuck you Theo, you are a regular Wolf?

c3c95460acc441ecc1437517e46c5e44.jpg

Liam has truly grown on me. This kid is hilarious. I want every episode to have him be in various comedic plots.

Posey's face is just perfect here:

407184ceb6cf47b9c72cb9b7fe47dc36.jpg

Price nailed the Liam/Stiles dynamic:

The main thing I loved about this team up was that, because Stiles is essentially Scott's brother, and Liam is basically Scott's son, that means Uncle Stiles was in full effect here. Stiles was basically born to be a cool uncle, and here he was, taking nephew Liam into the woods for, uh...

Monocle

That rascal is nothing special, guys.

BTW, lol at Doctor McCall.

Malia is the best. No filter and willing to torture a dude for Stiles. My kind of girl.

Lol, obviously Laim's love interest. She's already funny.

Also, Scott in AP Bilogy? Character development.

Liam is playing his buddy nicely. Like you all, he appeals to his love for hunks.

Feel bad for this girl that the Steampunk Psychos are fucking with.
Silence, cur! He's definitely in at least the 97th percentile of hunkiest rascals. In fact, as of now Theo is my third favorite hunk on the show.

Silence, cur! He's definitely in at least the 97th percentile of hunkiest rascals. In fact, as of now Theo is my third favorite hunk on the show.

I think as a straight man, I'm more objectively qualified to judge hunks than a gay man who is obviously blinded by the lust, what with all those six packs and cheekbones and such.

And I'm just gonna go ahead and say, Theo is nothing special as a hunk. Dude just rolled off a CW jr factory. He doesn't have that spark or personality that a Parrish or Derek or Peter might have.

Everyone knows that a hunk doesn't need acting talent, but raw charisma, in conjunction with the body and face.

Come on, Monacle, don't hate on the objectivity.

Monocle

I think as a straight man, I'm more objectively qualified to judge hunks than a gay man who is obviously blinded by the lust, what with all those six packs and cheekbones and such.

And I'm just gonna go ahead and say, Theo is nothing special as a hunk. Dude just rolled off a CW jr factory. He doesn't have that spark or personality that a Parrish or Derek or Peter might have.
His head has a nicer shape than the Twins', and from what I've seen, that bod deserves an episode all to itself.

Sorry but your hunk'o'meter needs a tuneup.

Liam makes funny faces. He's endearing.
He's extremely adorable and these last couple episodes confirm that he's good for way more than worrying and being inappropriately attractive. S4's finale implied that Liam and Scott's mentor/pupil (or father/son) dynamic would be explored in Season 5, and so far it's really delivered!

His head has a nicer shape than the Twins', and from what I've seen, that bod deserves an episode all to itself.

Sorry but your hunk'o'meter needs a tuneup.

Ahahahahahaha, of course if we're judging by face shape metrics, he wins against the Potatoheads hands-down.

That body ain't nothing special. I mean, don't get me wrong, I am supremely jealous and am having a resurgence of body image issues cause of this episode, but having said that, in comparison to previous hunks, he is a solid mid-fielder at best.

Monocle

Ahahahahahaha, of course if we're judging by face shape metrics, he wins against the Potatoheads hands-down.
Lol, I almost feel bad. They're appealing in their own way, I suppose... But no! One has to maintain one's standards.

That body ain't nothing special. I mean, don't get me wrong, I am supremely jealous and am having a resurgence of body image issues cause of this episode, but having said that, in comparison to previous hunks, he is a solid mid-fielder at best.
Before we get too carried away here, let's remember that not just any hunk can pull off this angle.

peqPyjr.jpg

Furthermore, it's a well known fact that Jackson, arguably the top hunk of the show besides Parrish, must attribute his underwear melting properties not to a perfect physique, but to the skin blistering majesty of his face.

(Please apply sunscreen and shield your eyes before scrolling down.)

CgjBtYs.jpg

Are you OK? Good.

Now, S5 has yet to give us a good look at what Theo's working with. But even if his face is all he's got going for him, I can confidently say he'll outshine the majority of Teen Wolf's hunks by the season's end.

ZD4KsnW.jpg

Yeah. Yeah I bet you do.

I love the dialogue we have going on here.

I missed Teen Wolf GAF.
It's so good to be back!

Edit: I'm reading through Price Peterson's photo recaps now, and can they seriously be more perfect? He is so great. I relate to his appreciation for hunks of course...

JuRdCiI.png

It's part of why I love what he does. Price combines sharp insight with a cheeky sense of humor and the sincere enthusiasm of a fan.

How could anyone fail to enjoy the way he shows Liam and Scott's relationship?

2XqWO1U.jpg

fsyjQFt.jpg

tBvl9DF.jpg

Oof, right in the heartstrings.

Top Bottom