• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

Sai-kun

Banned
Vapid probably isn't the right word for it but this thread isn't excused for things like oversexualization in gay culture, heavy emphasis on looks, material wealth, masc/fem, racial issues, idolizing being in a relationship above all else, etc. It's what contributes to body image and loneliness issues that are all too common.

tumblr_n4ujuckqDs1ts2s4ro1_500.gif

you can miss all of us with this garbage

his mother emailed me. he talked to a few others including myself through PM or somewhere. but i'm going to post this here as well. if you have anything to share please share it with me. I'll send this to her in an email later.

Hello, this is not a joke. I am the mother of [redacted] who recently died by suicide.

I know you knew him, and I wanted to ask a favor.

If there is anything positive in terms of [redacted] thoughts about family, could you share that with me? Maybe he never talked about me, and if so, that's ok. I understand. I loved him more than life itself and am in such pain from missing him.

He and I shared a lot of things including tv shows, music and politics.

I thank you in advance,

[redacted]

JCX

Vapid probably isn't the right word for it but this thread isn't excused for things like oversexualization in gay culture, heavy emphasis on looks, material wealth, masc/fem, racial issues, idolizing being in a relationship above all else, etc. It's what contributes to body image and loneliness issues that are all too common.

We had a multiple page argument about racial preferences in gay culture just a few weeks ago in this thread. Compared to the gay community at large, this place is tame.

Can't think of any fem-shamimg at all, at least during my time in this thread.

Of course, many of us are young and dating, so we're going to discuss sex and things that attract us. That's the closest I could see to oversexualization.

Kevyt

There is this fundraising campaign in honor of Pample, set up by their family, to donate for NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) that advocates in mental health issues (awareness, advocacy and education).

The link is in email form (quote to reveal)

I wasn't sure if his family would want us to post this information, but I think it's a cause that we all need to know about and support.

Pample is a great loss to this community, many of us appreciated his sense of humor, witty comments, and we are appalled it had to end this way for him. Our condolences to his family and friends.

HeelPower

No offense but this thread isn't much better then those hook up apps. A lot of vapid shit going on in here. I know I myself will come in here for attention from time to time

As a regular reader of this thread, I dont feel that anyone body has ever propositioned values similar to those one can find in a hookup app.

I feel that people have encouraged pample to seek professional help time and again.

But no one could comprehend how severe it was.

Bladenic

There is this fundraising campaign in honor of Pample, set up by their family, to donate for NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) that advocates in mental health issues (awareness, advocacy and education).

I wasn't sure if his family would want us to post this information, but I think it's a cause that we all need to know about and support.

Pample is a great loss to this community, many of us appreciated his sense of humor, witty comments, and we are appalled it had to end this way for him. Our condolences to his family and friends.

I wish I could donate right now.

And that picture is the first I've seen of Pample. It makes me sad that such a cute guy didn't see himself as such. I know he also had issues with his voice. The fact that his family is setting this up while grieving is astounding.

I wish this would never happen to anyone ever again :(

RIP again to Pample

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
his obituary was just posted online ;(

if anyone wants to see if it and it's okay i can pm it.

Could you please send it to me?

his mother emailed me. he talked to a few others including myself through PM or somewhere. but i'm going to post this here as well. if you have anything to share please share it with me. I'll send this to her in an email later.

Thank you for sharing this. I'll search and see what I can find later today.

KmA

fucK FUCK FUCK he lived THREE miles from my goddamn house?!?! I never saw him on grindr but his family literally lives right across from where I work :(. I think I'll visit them soon. I knew he lived in Michigan but... he was so close

It's heart breaking to see that when he started using apps like Grindr, he got more depressed because of the people he was meeting. I know be told me a couple of times that some guys would say the rudest shit to him, kinda blew my mind but then again it's Grindr.

He didn't live too far from me here in Northern Illinois, I tried to get him to come out here for a spring meet up I usually do at the Chicago comic convention. He was hesitant, felt like he wasn't worth meeting or hanging out with, but I still tried.

I think that's the only thing I can take away from this. I tried to connect or give him some sort of hope for the normalcy he so desired. Wish I could have done more.

Grindr isn't completely the issue here though.

My problems weren't as severe as his, but the basis of our infamous meetup was that both of us felt unlovable and foolishly thought sex would somehow fix that feeling.

Thank you for posting this. I think this is a very worthwhile cause.

Beefy

I wish I could donate, but I am on low benefits. I may be able to afford a pound when I get paid next.

Astral Dog

Huh? This thread practically calls everyone cute/handsome/some positive word whenever anyone posts a picture.

I'm not quite sure if people are ever being honest with their compliments, but I don't think you can accuse the thread as a whole for being vapid.

I feel at worst we were a bit harsh on him from time to time,pample made some very dubious comments but when you are in this state of mind,very sensitive even the little things people say on the internet can affect you for days.

He enjoyed talking here,about dating,sex,movies and whatever it was going on.the community tried to help him the best it could but unfortunately this was inevitable.

Despite the bullshit people on Grindr and school said based on his comments im sure lots of people liked him and he didn't had any trouble finding a date,but he had very low self esteem and self image problems that made him think horrible things,and we may never be sure where those come from,poor pample needed some kind of emergency treatment .:(

Kater

Banned
Terrible to hear. We all had our differences but I understood that that was not how he normally would act, I knew he was hurting. Shame how it all went down. I thought the Mental Health thread would help him air it all out but maybe it was not enough. My thoughts are with his family. Sorry dude. Hope in your next life things will turn better for you.

e41b94e97a99430f022f565022508b94.gif

GTFO out with this shit.

Huh? This thread practically calls everyone cute/handsome/some positive word whenever anyone posts a picture.

I wouldn't necessarily say everyone... Some of us feel straight up ignored in here if we're not part of the main clique.

So sad when people feel so lost that they can't get help.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this all day honestly. I have this giant knot in my stomach. He was just so young. And reading that post of his today in that mental health thread just broke my heart. It's been hard to think about anything else :(

Beefy

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this all day honestly. I have this giant knot in my stomach. He was just so young. And reading that post of his today in that mental health thread just broke my heart. It's been hard to think about anything else :(

I think about it now and again and I only saw him post about ten times. But then I have had family members go out the same way and also felt the same once in my life.

here's the final email from his mom.

Thank you so much for trying. I do appreciate this so much. Please tell the others I am thankful for any comfort they provided [redacted]. If you find anything else, send to me please. I won't bother you any more but thank you from the bottom of my broken heart.

i don't know what else to do or say.

I wouldn't necessarily say everyone... Some of us feel straight up ignored in here if we're not part of the main clique.

Cheer up and know that some of us here in the community do care for you.

And it is very tragic, he was so young.

Vazduh

BB, I honestly thought you were accepted in here among everyone. Or do you refer to something that happened earlier?

You're an angel for doing all that. I hope whatever you forwarded to his family will help bring them peace of mind eventually. I can't even imagine their grief.

mantidor

If someone like Bluebadger, the opposite of ignored, can feel ignored here then I guess anyone can :p

But really, besides the odd rude comment the community has always been there for everyone, is just that there is only so much you can do with only messages on a videogame forum.

Just caught one of my balls in my zip and cut myself, damn it hurt like hell. :(

Are you trying to say you have big balls that can't even clear your zipper?

When I was 10, I was jumping on the couch and landed right between the armrest. Couldn't breath for several seconds after

Hegel's prose is the most odious shit I've read in my entire life. I can barely get through the introduction to the Phenomenology of Spirit.

Ty4on

I'm so sorry.
Thank you for sharing those emails from his mother.

I feel like a selfish brat for talking about myself at a time like this, but his death really affected me. It's weird, I never even talked to him in the thread let alone privately, but he always had a witty comment ready and wasn't afraid to have a controversial opinion. He seemed like a fun guy and didn't deserve a life in deep depression. You guys, helping him through tough times even if it was just an ephemeral post or conversation, also don't deserve this. I can't imagine how this is for those of you who knew him and were close to him.

I've thought a lot about making something like a "best of Pample" collection, but I didn't follow the thread a lot lately. I wonder if you guys were interested in it both for good memories and catharsis.

If someone like Bluebadger, the opposite of ignored, can feel ignored here then I guess anyone can :p

And why do you get the right to say whether or not I'm ignored? I don't really think that's YOUR decision to make.

I wasn't ignored when I first became a member. Then god knows what happened and I became an outcast. People on that little Skype group chat apparently calling me fake and whatever else. Trust me. I've tried to post here and there over the last year and I barely get any acknowledgement.

Mumei

Thanks for posting about this.

Just caught one of my balls in my zip and cut myself, damn it hurt like hell. :(

*cringe*

This is something I have imagined happening before but fortunately have never experienced.

And why do you get the right to say whether or not I'm ignored? I don't really think that's YOUR decision to make.

I wasn't ignored when I first became a member. Then god knows what happened and I became an outcast. People on that little Skype group chat apparently calling me fake and whatever else. Trust me. I've tried to post here and there over the last year and I barely get any acknowledgement.

That's awful that apparently people on that chat called you fake. The chat from my experience ages ago had a different culture (EDIT: from the thread). Maybe it's changed since.

It's easy to feel ignored on a forum. Lots of posts don't get responded to. I'm sure that it doesn't come from a bad place of people actually ignoring someone. Sometimes it's just what happens to a post. People mean to get back to post something but forget until it's 'too late', or people don't have something to say. But from what I sense here, you are genuinely liked. I certainly like you.

His concepts are really interesting though.

Perhaps look for a different edit/translation ?

I know, but I can't see how his concepts are helped by his prose. Kant's prose seems scintillating in comparison.

I'm actually reading what is supposed to be the clearest English translation (the unpublished one by Terry Pinkard), lol.

I thought y'all were talking about the gay kid that got murdered by his mother....only as I went up the comments did I realise the RIP's were for Pample :(

God this is so sad :(

RIP

I don't think lettersgaf is that organized. That's not to gaslight you or anything because I have no idea what goes on in the skype group, but my impression is that that's a rather smaller subset of the people in this thread.

I might be kind of guilty of ignoring you but it's more like I don't really know what we'd talk about (or it seems superfluous, idk). My whole schtick is kind of being reserved, and while I know I could try harder, for my part I kind of appreciate that on the internet that reserved thing is at least slightly less rude than it might otherwise be in real life. It's kind of how I justify making use of this medium because I/my sense of motivation for anything is temperamental as fuck and I appreciate being able to materialize or vanish at will.

Rayis

Wow, I cannot believe Pample did that, I have to say, I'm extremely shocked by these news, the fact he was in so much pain that he decided to end his life, my condolences to his family and I hope he's in a much better place away from all the suffering he was going through.

We need to be there for each other LGBTQIA-GAF.

Kater

Banned

Don't let that get to you, there are people that seem to care about you, enough to respond to you in a positive way here and elsewhere. But like always in life not everyone will get along with you and vice versa.

B-Dex

So probably bad timing but I did promise a pic after my hair was done. However I think I went too into the soulless redhead spectrum.

eiMoN7X.jpg

Top Bottom