• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix talks strong Switch support, mobile, using FF15 style updates more places

Makes sense. Since it is the future of dedicated portable gaming hardware in Japan, this direction was a given.
SE should raise another act and get with the folks who made a lot of mischief back in the 64 era...
Perhaps it's indeed time to pull the trigger and browse through the chronology of past their successes. There are still many projects in their catalogue that set my soul a blaze Just sitting on those ideas and letting them go to waste would be no way to live-a-live creatively speaking.

...Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3: The Great Pirate Ship and Tails Troupe.

Quasar

What's a shock...that a Japanese company would tell a Japanese paper they are concentrating on a handheld more than a us console Japan doesn't want.

I could see it work on Portable but not on Docked.

Maybe they could decrease fps to 30? I'm sure that would make it a lot easier to go 720p and above. Not sure how it would affect combat though. PC version scales very well and a similar hardware to PS4/PS4 Pro has the same performance but there's a method to decrease GI which doesn't affect the visuals too much but increases performance significantly. Maybe they could do that to a Switch version as well.
The game's combat isn't very precision centered, so 30fps wouldn't affect the gameplay much. At least not to the extent that it did for, say, Ninja Gaiden Sigma on Vita.

That port was a travesty.

The likelier obstacle would probably be perceived lack of audience overlap. The game is bloody dark.

FFXII:HD and Life is Strange pls, thx Matsu

Lexxism

giphy.gif

I would love Final Fantasy XIV on Switch. Would bite on the rest of the series too, migrate my portable FF collection from Vita to Switch and free up like 30gb of space on my Vita card.

Is Octopath Traveler the Mistwalker/Silicon Studios collaboration project that was announced last February? If not, I'll take whatever that is too.

Thread has gone way offrails
It really hasn't, despite your best efforts.

QuikNez

Pretty poorly timed message by a CEO.

If I was Phil Spencer I would be choked. In my view, I would be having a pretty candid conversation with SE.

killatopak

Yep, if anything the Switch part is the thing most non-news of this thread lol

yes, but the title is where the focus of attention lies so it's not surprising people talk about that more.

The game's combat isn't very precision centered, so 30fps wouldn't affect the gameplay much. At least not to the extent that it did for, say, Ninja Gaiden Sigma on Vita.

That port was a travesty.

The likelier obstacle would probably be perceived lack of audience overlap. The game is bloody dark.

FFXII:HD and Life is Strange pls, thx Matsu

I agree. If ever a NieR OG remaster/remake comes into being, that should be a good time to think about the possibility of it being ported to switch.

KtSlime

The topic could've gone something like, SE CEO is excited for the switch.
The current one is unnecessarily and unintentionally trollish
From what i gather it's nothing about picking one over the other.
When asked about the future he listed some platforms and said switch had a good launch and we have our eyes on it. Thread has gone way offrails

We shouldn't expect Matsuda to say directly that he will favor the Switch over the Scorpio, but reading the reply to the question, the key part was やはりSwitchですね. The whole sentence can be read as "Right now, what we are paying attention to really is the Switch. We are expecting much because we hear it's sales are exceedingly good" which in the context, elevates the Switch over the other platforms, including Scorpio (which should have been obvious).

There is no diss, it's the inference that the Switch is the console that Square Enix will keep its eye on most besides the PS4. And this is the Japan SE side of things, not the Eidos and Crystal Dynamics side of SE, so it would make sense that they would have less of a focus on the Scorpio in a Japan-centric development.

Not to mention the cost of games for the switch has to be cheaper than the other two. Switch could really be good for gaming if more devs embraced it.

Peterc

I think more developers don't want a ps4pro or xbox Scorpio. It's way to expensive and it doesn't do much more. Switch has it all and is portable and cheap develop for. More and more developers is understanding that. It's a smart decision from NINTENDO. That's why I think ps5 and if there comes a new Xbox, it wouldn't be anytime soon.

I think more developers don't want a ps4pro or xbox Scorpio. It's way to expensive and it doesn't do much more. Switch has it all and is portable and cheap develop for. More and more developers is understanding that. It's a smart decision from NINTENDO. That's why I think ps5 and if there comes a new Xbox, it wouldn't be anytime soon.

Do we have any comments about devs not wanting PS4 Pro and Scorpio? I guess it adds more time to development.

But I mean Snake Pass was only in development for like a year by a small team and it released on Xbox One, PS4, PC, Switch and PS4 Pro.

Buggy Loop

I think this rings especially true in japan. Big box & Powerful consoles barely made a beep on the life sign monitors for that market, while Switch "so far" is hitting a homerun. They dropped their cellphones for a minute, can you imagine that?

I would love Final Fantasy XIV on Switch. Would bite on the rest of the series too, migrate my portable FF collection from Vita to Switch and free up like 30gb of space on my Vita card.

Is Octopath Traveler the Mistwalker/Silicon Studios collaboration project that was announced last February? If not, I'll take whatever that is too.

It really hasn't, despite your best efforts.

don't think so. there's no mistwalker logo during reveal, & website, and the game is handled by asano's "team"

Asd202

Huh how is it different from Switch handheld and TV version? Also budget depends on the game and making games for Switch won't be cheap. It's still an HD device and there isn't much difference in making for example something like SMTV for Switch or PS4 in terms of budget.

LordKano

Huh how is it different from Switch handheld and TV version? Also budget depends on the game and making games for Switch won't be cheap. It's still an HD device.

I don't think the difference between TV and handled mode is as big as between Xbox One and Scorpio.

Mael

bought I am Setsuna at launch and played Zelda once I got my hand on it.
I'm willing to support your stuffs more if you don't actually force me to jump through hoops for the games.
I would never have bought I am Setsuna on ps4 despite having a ps4.
I'll probably skip FFXII if it's not on Switch too...

Widge

I did with the 360, it had some amazing shmups and JRPGs.

360 was the shmup king of the previous gen, and it really did get the lions share of jrpg in those early days. I found the dearth of PS3 jrpgs rather hard to take as it was my favourite PS2 genre.

Then Demon's Souls happened and everything was amazing.

Kureransu

SE should raise another act and get with the folks who made a lot of mischief back in the 64 era...

what's funny is just the other day i was thinking it would be cool if ActRaiser came back. Thought it'd be an IP that could use a resurgence, since 80% of the gaming population probably never heard or played it.

What's sad is Quintet has been radio silent for almost 10 years. So who would SE get to develop it? Also, their games kind of fell off. While Mystic Heroes was cool, it was no Illusion of Gaia or ActRaiser

Rymuth

Pretty poorly timed message by a CEO.

If I was Phil Spencer I would be choked. In my view, I would be having a pretty candid conversation with SE.
...the Japanese side of S-E hasn't announced a new game for XBO since 2013.

What's Phil gonna threaten Matsuda with?

jonno394

...the Japanese side of S-E hasn't announced a new game for XBO since 2013.

What's Phil gonna threaten Matsuda with?

"remember that time we paid you for time exclusivity of Rise of the Tomb Raider and it back fired for you with regards to sales, well we're never going to do that again"

not sure how badly it backfired....hyperbole and all that

I had to import a copy of I Am Satsuna from Malaysia. Stop that, Square.

Wouldn't mind seeing a Bravely Default HD collection and some of the Final Fantasy HD remasters on the thing too.

squareenix is not going to do that unfortunately, but I'd love for treasure to make another Mischief Makers.

I'd prefer another Sin and Punishment. Hell, an HD collection with added pointer controls from Star Successor would get a purchase from me.

My takeaway from that conversation:

Square Enix will make it a priority for Switch to have games like Lara Croft, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy, and Hitman instead of the Xbox One/Scorpio.

...and no one can tell me different.

If true (and this isn't terribly surprising anyway), can you please stop being mum about the Switch version of DQXI? The lack of discussion of it is making me nervous.

And yeah I'll buy anything DQ on Switch, bring it all please.

Asd202

If true (and this isn't terribly surprising anyway), can you please stop being mum about the Switch version of DQXI? The lack of discussion of it is making me nervous.

Real talk. They're probably not actively making it as all effort goes to 3DS/PS4 version. It even makes sense as they couldn't have gotten Switch dev kits sooner than in middle of developmet.

DQ Builders on Switch needs to have happened yesterday.

KtSlime

Real talk. They're probably not actively making it as all effort goes to 3DS/PS4 version. It even makes sense as they couldn't have gotten Switch dev kits sooner than in middle of developmet.

The PS4 and Switch version are likely the same version, SE was probably one of the first developers to receive the Switch, and currently have the most 3rd party output for the platform. They just aren't saying anything because why would they when they have an announcement on Tuesday where they will tell us the release date.

The main effort of course is the 3DS version since it will sell the most.

Asd202

The PS4 and Switch version are likely the same version, SE was probably one of the first developers to receive the Switch, and currently have the most 3rd party output for the platform. They just aren't saying anything because why would they when they have an announcement on Tuesday where they will tell us the release date.

The main effort of course is the 3DS version since it will sell the most.

Even if they were one of the first they got it in middle of development still. I still think Switch version will come at a later time if the game is supposed to launch on both 3DS and PS4 this year.

Top Bottom