• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nikko was nice but not as memorable as Nara was for us. The deer just wandering around lend the place a unique atmosphere.
Yeah Nara is great. Not really a "day trip" from Tokyo, though. I mean, you can, but probably a bit too much.

Last time I visited Nara I saw a deer get hit by a car, so that's pretty much my most recent memory of the place.

quabba

If anyone has preordered a neon switch at EB. Check your order. Mine slipped to April without them telling me.

Did you get the phone call to ask if you were picking it up on the launch weekend?

I ordered black, Kinda thinking I want the neon now but it's not going to be possible by the looks.

Mikeybycrikey

Neo Member
No phone call. Just double checked and my correct phone number is in my account. Here's hoping target can help.

You could always get extra neon joycons?

I'm referring to the bits in life where you need to do things in exchange for money to eat

Not eating money though

You have a Comms degree, right? If the standard of our marketing and communications department here is anything to go by, there must be a heap of jobs going for people who have even a basic understanding of grammar.

Do that in exchange for money to videogames

If anyone has preordered a neon switch at EB. Check your order. Mine slipped to April without them telling me.
Target still have plenty of stock apparently, move your order there if you have one close by.

I'm in a brain death spiral about what the fuck I'm going to do with my life

Depends on what you want in life I guess. Work out what you need and then what you want to be happy. Won't always coexist unfortunately, at least on a short timeline.

Mikeybycrikey

Neo Member
Can confirm. Plenty of switches at my local target. Apparently I'm the first at that store to preorder a switch. Selling like hotcakes it seems.

Rezbit

Should be plenty of Switch stuff floating around outside of EB, hopefully that means some good launch day prices for Zelda or accessories!

Jintor

You have a Comms degree, right? If the standard of our marketing and communications department here is anything to go by, there must be a heap of jobs going for people who have even a basic understanding of grammar.

Do that in exchange for money to videogames

entry level media gradis an endless sea of "Unpaid position with a view towards making it permanent if this start-up does go bust in two months"

(still in my view slightly better than law grad which is "elbow with a pack of fucking piranhas to get a job with long hours where you hate everyone")

entry level media gradis an endless sea of "Unpaid position with a view towards making it permanent if this start-up does go bust in two months"

(still in my view slightly better than law grad which is "elbow with a pack of fucking piranhas to get a job with long hours where you hate everyone")
Or engineering, which is currently one available job per dozen graduates and each PD reads "Graduate Engineer. Requires five years experience this specific part of this specific industry, requires travel to remote locations 80% of the year, expectation is that the position will require 12 hours a day"

I'm not at that level anymore, but golly gee those position descriptions are something else. A far cry from when I was hunting for my first grad job back in '06.

supposedly a bit of snow on wednesday too. We've been hoping that we'd see snow and it only looks like it's going to happen on the day we leave :V

Ooh didn't know that! Shame it's that day ㅜㅜ
It snowed around the same time last year too.
I think the second day I was here, Feb 24th or 25th

You live in korea or just there for a holiday?

I'm guessing it was the quickest way to see John Wick 2

Haha yep. Nah I've been living here for a year now

you guys are all making me scared for uni, just went to my first day of o week today
It's fine if you're starting. There's a chance that the job market recovers a little by then and things are better. I mean I doubt it with a looming Chinese debt crisis and Trump liable to do daft things like abolishing the Federal Reserve, but there's a chance.

Stay! Stay as long as you can! Cherish it! You've gotta cherish it!

Stackboy

I'm pretty keen to head to the EB Expo on the Gold Coast in October. Might replace PAX for me this year, last year didn't really impress me and we might go holiday somewhere else instead.

Good to hear the Horizon: Zero Dawn reviews are good too.

Cerity

Or engineering, which is currently one available job per dozen graduates and each PD reads "Graduate Engineer. Requires five years experience this specific part of this specific industry, requires travel to remote locations 80% of the year, expectation is that the position will require 12 hours a day"

I'm not at that level anymore, but golly gee those position descriptions are something else. A far cry from when I was hunting for my first grad job back in '06.

Eng grad jobs are on the upswing now, but still nowhere near as many positions as there are grads. This story came out awhile ago, I am/was pretty much in the exact same situation/position as him. Luckily got a job in software and now moving onto project controls. However a bunch of dudes I studied with are still looking for jobs, even 2-3 years out.

Ooh didn't know that! Shame it's that day ㅜㅜ
It snowed around the same time last year too.
I think the second day I was here, Feb 24th or 25th

It's blew my mind that it could reach as low as -10 to -15 for a week and still not snow.

tbh i haven't given much thought about the future

maybe i'll just marry a rich girl after uni and live with her

i'm joking. mostly.

seriously though none of my friends see themselves buying a house in this state, not a single one, all of it is just pipe dreams and "oh maybe one day...."

Jintor

Comms and media? Come work at ABC News Digital. I'm constantly seeing new faces so they must be hiring a lot. Based in Brissie.

honestly that would be a dream.

i would legit considering moving states for that.

let me know if you hear about any openings for a writing mans. I'm considering going back to uni/tafe for production work in a year or so maybe.

senahorse

In an email sent out to developers, Steam has confirmed it will be adding the 10% Goods and Services Tax to all purchases made in Australia in July.

The end result? Steam games will almost certainly become more expensive in Australia.
It's part of a roll out across multiple different countries. Starting in March, for example, Steam will be adding sales to taxes to Switzerland, South Korea, Japan, New Zealand, Iceland, South Africa, and India.

Australia's rollout is slated for July.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/02/steam-games-are-getting-10-more-expensive-in-australia/

Cheapest place to pick up Horizon physical? I'm hoping target/bigW will have a $69 offering closer to launch...
I expect the trinity will be $79 and under but likely we get $69 or less from someone, depends how early Big W show their hand.
It's $79.95 on the Australian PlayStation Store, so I'm hoping we see it for $69 from one of the retailers. I was totally ambivalent on it (Guerrilla Games tending to struggle with gameplay), but the glowing reviews have piqued my interest now.

Rep, when do you think push-start might have a bargain guide up (no pressure)?

So Doom is currently US$79.95 on steam for Australians. Add 10% and convert to AUD and its almost AUD$115. It probably goes to $120 when you take into account the paypal/cc currency conversion tax. Good luck with that.

Even ebgames only charges $70 for all three versions and they are half off atm.

Quasar

If this doesn't come with appropriate regional pricing I'm going to flip.

Oh well not like I buy anything full price from steam directly anymore.

I am wondering if we'll see the profiteering publishers/distributors eat that so that we still see parity with RRP prices or whether they will be even MORE expensive.

And I do still wonder why we haven't seen them charge in local currency.

Quasar

So Doom is currently US$79.95 on steam for Australians. Add 10% and convert to AUD and its almost AUD$115. It probably goes to $120 when you take into account the paypal/cc currency conversion tax. Good luck with that.

So glad I don't play AAA PC games.

The same Doom that can be had on PS4/XB1 for $17 for a few months now? Good luck with that.

senahorse

I am wondering if we'll see the profiteering publishers/distributors eat that so that we still see parity with RRP prices or whether they will be even MORE expensive.

And I do still wonder why we haven't seen them charge in local currency.

Let me introduce you to Namco Bandai, in short I doubt many (any?) will eat this cost themselves.

It's $79.95 on the Australian PlayStation Store, so I'm hoping we see it for $69 from one of the retailers. I was totally ambivalent on it (Guerrilla Games tending to struggle with gameplay), but the glowing reviews have piqued my interest now.

Rep, when do you think push-start might have a bargain guide up (no pressure)?

Waitin on Big W prices! Catalogue should be out today, if anyone see's it let me know ;)

Everyone is at $80 so Big W need to come through with a cheaper price hopefully.

Let me introduce you to Namco Bandai, in short I doubt many (any?) will eat this cost themselves.

2k and Bethesda are just as bad. A lot of them now are locking most stores outside of steam to the same ridiculous "Australia Tax" and some companies even have Australia only keys to further rub it in.

Greenmangaming used to even have a permanent discount for Australians to compensate for 2K's insanity though that disappeared a while ago and GOG compensates with credit.

Quasar

2k and Bethesda are just as bad. A lot of them now are locking most stores outside of steam to the same ridiculous "Australia Tax" and some companies even have Australia only keys to further rub it in.

Greenmangaming used to even have a permanent discount for Australians to compensate for 2K's insanity though that disappeared a while ago and GOG compensates with credit.

Shows you how many NEW games I guy. Not sure I've bought anything since Civ6, which I got at GMG with a discount.

So strange that we've swung around to console games being significantly cheaper than PC games (for new releases anyway). There have been some bonkers local retailer deals in the last 6 months!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom