• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

JRW

Surprised this game runs 50-60fps / Very High preset / 1080P on my old timey rig

i7 920 oc 3.5Ghz 8 threads active / 12GB / Win 10 / R9 290X 4GB

I just don't buy The resolution is a "bug" effecting only certain switch units. Classic sales guy BS. does anyone have a switch that runs it at native res? Does the sales guy even know the native res of the switch?

They may optimize the game further and get it running better but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

They should be able to easily patch the rumble strength. Crossing my fingers they implement some actual HD rumble features (but again not holding breath) being able to feel the difrent surfaces you slither over would be awesome.

I think it sounds pretty wack too. At best, maybe a slight resolution bump is the most I'd hope for personally, but I don't think it's happening.

There is no noticeable latency and I'm playing at 60fps, using the same thing Nvidia's Shield uses, not remote play. And I've got an old router set up just for this purpose, so it's as optimal as can be.

It's similar to WiiU and the gamepad.

I managed to get the first two hidden coins while stoned with it. Don't think there's an issue :)

That's pretty cool. Just using an app on the PC to do that?

Skyzard

Banned
That's pretty cool. Just using an app on the PC to do that?

App is on the vita, really fast to load and it works with PC using Nvidia geforce experience gamesharing (just a tickbox in the settings).
It can launch steam fullscreen gui so you have a cool interface for selecting games on it too.

Went back and found the blue orb I was missing in level 6. It was tucked away inside of a structure you have to swim inside. There's a little opening and it's past the second checkpoint.

Speaking of which, pro strat: Abuse the checkpoints like crazy! You can re-touch a checkpoint and it'll save any progress you made even though you've touched it before. Really saves on time since you'll be dying... a lot.

phanphare

Banned
got all the coins in the first two levels

really starting to love this game. controls have really clicked for me in the last hour. the biggest thing was getting comfortable with the right trigger rhythm. I would have never anticipated how satisfying controlling a snake could be.

got all the coins in the first two levels

really starting to love this game. controls have really clicked for me in the last hour. the biggest thing was getting comfortable with the right trigger rhythm. I would have never anticipated how satisfying controlling a snake could be.

Yeah, sometimes it even feels a little liberating!

newsguy

So I really want to but this game for a long flight I have tomorrow, but I'm reading some bad things about how blurry it looks in handheld mode. Anyone playing this on Switch hh? If it's as blurry as some are claiming I'll hold off.

Flo_Evans

So I really want to but this game for a long flight I have tomorrow, but I'm reading some bad things about how blurry it looks in handheld mode. Anyone playing this on Switch hh? If it's as blurry as some are claiming I'll hold off.

It's not that bad. You can clearly tell it's soft but it's "acceptable" unless you really flip out about IQ.

Bring a battery pack though it chews through the battery as fast as Zelda.

Wozman23

For anyone going toward the 'Compete every level without dying' achievement, I don't think attempts during time trials count. (Either that or I space out in a random level and forgot I died.)

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong and I spaced out, because I just got it on level 14 and doubt I did level 15 without dying the previous normal run time.

Also, some of those time trial times are brutal.

Putosaure

Atmosphere of the game is great, still not really digging the controls for the hidden coins that are always in some tricky places, but I hope I'll be able to make it !
Playing on Switch, resolution is not that bad on Portable mode, as HUD is native res. Didn't tried docked mode yet though.

J@hranimo

Banned
Finished up Specter of Torment tonight (surprisingly) and got around to playing 2 levels of this. How charming! The game itself looks pretty good for a relatively quick port. I disabled rumble so I don't have to experience that craziness lol.

I got a better grip on the controls by the second level. Coiling and climbing up poles is surprisingly intuitive. Looking forward to more of this game :)

I love the music, aesthetics, the vibe, but fuck me if this game hasn't the worst 3D camera I've seen in years. Controls are meh... it's a physics based game so that was to be expected, but some of the plattforming is needlesly frustrating because of them.

Should have waited for a sale. It's way too expensive at 20 bucks.

J@hranimo

Banned
I love the music, aesthetics, the vibe, but fuck me if this game hasn't the worst 3D camera I've seen in years. Controls are meh... it's a physics based game so that was to be expected, but some of the plattforming is needlesly frustrating because of them.

Should have waited for a sale. It's way too expensive at 20 bucks.

The controls require some patience to scale poles and whatnot. Not hard to grasp, just gotta remember to grip and turn Noodles head slightly to climb.

XaosWolf

The camera needs a sensitivity/speed slider. Way too slow. Would be more bearable if at least the Camera Reset speed was actually snappy.

And also some of these blue orbs are harder than the coins. Both to find and collect.
The one on the broken bridge on Level 6 is up and out from a horizontal beam. Camera doesn't make it any easier.

Is anyone getting a "Cannot connect to network device" error while playing this without an internet connection? It constantly pops up so I can't play, only tethering to my phone stops it.
I've never had this with another game. Surely it doesn't require an internet connection?

Poppyseed

There is no noticeable latency and I'm playing at 60fps, using the same thing Nvidia's Shield uses, not remote play. And I've got an old router set up just for this purpose, so it's as optimal as can be.

It's similar to WiiU and the gamepad.

I managed to get the first two hidden coins while stoned with it. Don't think there's an issue :)

There's no way in hell it's the same as the Wii U + GamePad. That used VERY clever technology to keep latency to a minimum.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-wii-u-gamepad-latency-analysis

I'm going to guess that the Vita is in triple-digit latency figures, which is simply not acceptable. I mean, it's that high when using the Vita OFFICIALLY for remote play from the PS4/PC, so with this hacked-on version it's not going to be any better. Don't get me wrong, I've no doubt you're enjoying it. But I've also no doubt I would not enjoy it one bit.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-ps4-remote-play-on-pc

tsundoku

im confused by what he means by the first hidden coins. in level 1 i dont even think you can fall off anywhere by accident.

I didn't need to up my gamespeed until level 5/6 but in the first four levels you can basically take any challenge as slow as you want by holding grip

don't think that's going to continue being viable for him.

also yeah nintendo uses a super patented video codec over 5ghz wifi to the gamepad to get that video over with such low latency

Skyzard

Banned
^hidden coins under the bridge. I'm now on the 2nd world.

There's no way in hell it's the same as the Wii U + GamePad. That used VERY clever technology to keep latency to a minimum.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-wii-u-gamepad-latency-analysis

I'm going to guess that the Vita is in triple-digit latency figures, which is simply not acceptable. I mean, it's that high when using the Vita OFFICIALLY for remote play from the PS4/PC, so with this hacked-on version it's not going to be any better. Don't get me wrong, I've no doubt you're enjoying it. But I've also no doubt I would not enjoy it one bit.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-ps4-remote-play-on-pc

It directly uses Nvidia's technology, not some basic streaming app.

I can play rocket league, GTA V, Mario Sunshine and Alien Hominid (a twitch shooter where I can see how exactly fast it is by holding it up to my monitor, pressing right/left on the d-pad and it's basically instantaneous) - so snake pass is an absolute breeze.

It plays perfectly and looks incredible.

I'm very sensitive to latency and lag too but whatever makes you happy, lol.

Irminsul

Is anyone getting a "Cannot connect to network device" error while playing this without an internet connection? It constantly pops up so I can't play, only tethering to my phone stops it.
I've never had this with another game. Surely it doesn't require an internet connection?
It does not, but for now you have to reboot the game while not connected to a network.

ZeroX03

Banned
I can play rocket league, GTA V, Mario Sunshine and Alien Hominid (a twitch shooter where I can see how exactly fast it is by holding it up to my monitor, pressing right/left on the d-pad and it's basically instantaneous) - so snake pass is an absolute breeze.

You may have a great connection and not notice any latency issues, but there's no way it's on par with Wii U. On a technical level it couldn't be. If it's playable to you, it doesn't matter either way though.

Skyzard

Banned
You may have a great connection and not notice any latency issues, but there's no way it's on par with Wii U. On a technical level it couldn't be. If it's playable to you, it doesn't matter either way though.

It works great with a twitch shooter, it's easily good enough for snake pass, which I've played 3 hours of with this setup. It plays like a native game but with insane graphics.

If I can't notice an issue with the response time with those games then most people certainly wouldn't be able to either.

This is a wired connection from my PC to a dedicated router on a separate network, and then that is transmitting data to a vita in the same room. To an OLED (low-latency screen) and using Nvidia's low latency gamestreaming, at 60fps.

You can say Nintendo have secret sauce tech over Nvidia, but this is damn good.

And next on my button-mapping list, Skies of Arcadia Legends and Kirby's Air Ride.

Poppyseed

^hidden coins under the bridge. I'm now on the 2nd world.

It directly uses Nvidia's technology, not some basic streaming app.

The Vita is the weakest link. As I said, if you're not bothered that's fine. But triple-digit latency (you're limited by the Vita's WiFi, no matter how close/far you are to the router) is not good enough for me.

If you like, post a video of holding the Vita display near the host system screen, and the difference will be pretty darn obvious.

Still cool that you're enjoying it, of course. :D

It would be great if the blue orbs and coins on the status screen displayed in a position that reflected how far they can be found through level. That would make it easier to find missing ones.

Nintendo games work this way. Here's Super Mario Run.

gl8MmBC.jpg

hodgy100

the wiiU still used wifi as the underlying tech for its streaming so yes it could theoretically be just as good.

Kinsei

Banned
It would be great if the blue orbs and coins on the status screen displayed in a position that reflected how far they can be found through level. That would make it easier to find missing ones.

Nintendo games work this way. Here's Super Mario Run.

gl8MmBC.jpg

Most of the levels are non linear though.

ktroopa

lol the first gold coin under the bridge on level 1 can be a real bastard to get! i finally did it by following one simple rule- keep moving! was originally trying to wrap myself around each pole and get a tight spot to grab the coin, only soon after to fall to my death - repeat x 100. then i tried the other method and it worked lol. tough game but def fun!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
lol the first gold coin under the bridge on level 1 can be a real bastard to get! i finally did it by following one simple rule- keep moving! was originally trying to wrap myself around each pole and get a tight spot to grab the coin, only soon after to fall to my death - repeat x 100. then i tried the other method and it worked lol. tough game but def fun!

The How to Play video covers pole traversal. Once you're accustomed to it, the controls fall into place and are more fun than frustrating.

Kinsei

Banned
There's a start and an end gate, which is enough to measure distance between. Doesn't need to be exact but just a guide to where about a collectible might be.

But the end gate is at the start (or very close to the start) in most levels.

You do eventually unlock the ability to see where the collectables you're missing are.

bomer

Bought on Switch. Looks and plays fine. Like the controls. I wish I was like 30% faster at all times though.

Also, this character is an unbashed knock off of Sneaky Snakes right? When I was about 6 I bought my Gameboy off my brother for $13 with Tetris and Sneaky Snakes.

99108-sneaky-snakes-game-boy-media.jpg

will this game have a launch discount on steam? I see people on ps4 could preorder for 20 percent off but there has never been an option to buy on steam..

if no discount then f 'em

Since the 20% off is for plus members only maybe Sony is subsidizing the discount

It's really damn good! Just sorted it out yesterday and was playing GTAV from my PC last night. Pretty easy to do with the henkaku online exploit!

It can run steam in fullscreen mode very easily and quickly so you have a great way to select your games (and anything you've created a shortcut to in steam). Very, very fast and no noticeable latency with the right setup.

Can you play over different networks? Can I stream my Steam games at home to Vita at work?

Skyzard

Banned
^ I don't think so, think moonlight only lets you do local connections.

The Vita is the weakest link. As I said, if you're not bothered that's fine. But triple-digit latency (you're limited by the Vita's WiFi, no matter how close/far you are to the router) is not good enough for me.

If you like, post a video of holding the Vita display near the host system screen, and the difference will be pretty darn obvious.

Still cool that you're enjoying it, of course. :D

It's fine if you can't handle compensating for any latency whatsoever because that's not a problem in Snake Pass. 100ms wouldn't be noticeable in this. Even you'd likely not have a problem.

It's not your average platformer - I wouldn't play SF or SMB/W like this (got an emulator on vita for that) but for snake pass, where it's all about patience, planning and slow movements - it's fantastic.

Enjoy 30fps and sub vita native resolution with that screen. It's cool if you can handle it. I think I'm done with playing those resolutions though.

It's 2017.

giphy.gif

I'll be playing from start to finish on vita, haven't even tried or wanted to try it on pc but I've put 3 hours into this and I'm really enjoying it. I can't imagine someone who wouldn't.

Mdk7

I am seriously loving this.
One thing I don't like that much is the art direction in the third world: too much red, the colors and the image overall is not as deliciously appealing as the rest of the game (and it's weird, as to me they really nailed the look and feel of it, oldschool but modern at the same time).

looks like a patch is available for the switch version.. downloading it now.. hope it fixes the rumble issue

edit - yep. rumble is fixed.

Top Bottom