• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Episode Gladiolus |OT|

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
5HxpPwE.jpg

Details
Availability – PlayStation Store, Xbox Games Store
Pricing – $4.99 (Season Pass also available for $24.99)
Release – March 28, 2017 WW

Backstory
After losing to the enemy high commander Ravus, Gladiolus is forced to swallow a bitter pill and face the limitations of his own strength. In order to travel with the Chosen King, he realizes he must also possess a comparable level of power in order to protect him. In the ancient ruins that were found in the Kingdom of Lucis 30 years ago, the spirits of heroes that once served the king await the next generation of warriors.

Gladiolus parts ways with his entourage and meets up with Cor, the sole survivor of the trials. Now, with his mentor at his side, Gladiolus sets out to challenge the Shield of the Founder King: the Blademaster, Gilgamesh.

Features
  • Uncover the story told through Gladiolus' perspective – While Final Fantasy XV focuses on the bond between Noctis and his friends, Episode Gladiolus allows players to find out what happened when Gladiolus leaves the party..
  • New exhilarating action battle that matches Gladiolus's character as the King's Shield – While the main game's system was designed around Noctis and his mobility to warp and dodge enemy attacks, Gladiolus fights by blocking and counterattacking with the new ”Valor" and ”Rage" system.
  • New environment – Players can access a new area that was previously not accessible in the main game.
  • Obtain special items that can be carried over to the main game – By completing the episode, players can obtain special items that cannot be acquired from the main game. You will obtain
    topless Gladiolus costume when obtaining 500k points in the Score Attack
  • New gameplay modes – In addition to the main episode, two additional gameplay modes, ”Score Attack" and ”Final Trial" are available upon completing the episode. These modes offer an added challenge and high replay value for the player.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMwZ48_26fA

Credits: http://gematsu.com/2017/03/final-fantasy-xv-dlc-episode-gladiolus-fact-sheet

DNAbro

That final trial is very difficult. Nothing in the main game that I played was that difficult due to item spam.

Took me just under and hour and a half to beat it. It was a fun time with some legit challenging fights toward the end. Soundtrack was fantastic.

That said I'm more excited for Prompto's DLC. I need a Snowy environment.

ryushe

The final trial was the best fight in the entire game.

Battle on the big bridge
on an actual bridge
. Perfect.

NeatoKuni

Beat it at an hour and 12 minutes. Fun, but rather short. (Not bad for 5$ tho and again the other modes make up for it). The other modes don't really interest me too much. what does however interest me are the multiple screenshots of completely shirtless gladio. How is everyone doing this?

edit: never mind it's in the OP lol I'm ready

Will probably play after Nier, Persona, DS3 DLC and GR2 DLC. 2017 has no chill.
With how short it is I could just squeeze it in one evening when I want a break from another game though.

Does the season pass seem shit value here though? The three extra missions cost $15 separately, and the other stuff seems pretty ignorable.

blazeaire

Whew just beat it with literally one item left, kinda short but fun enough with nice bosses, just tried the final trial and nope not gonna bother doing that haha

Toth

Oh cool. I thought this OT wouldn't happen. Can't wait to play later tonight!

Yeah, I am looking forward to finish it in a bit. I can't believe they answered the first question I had after the DLC was announced in the second campfire scene lol.

My question of why didn't Gladio's father undertake the trial instead of Cor?

This is great. In fact, I'll even say that, in my opinion, this feels more focused and visually interesting than most things in the main game. The combat is fun so far, and I feel like I'm finally seeing more of Cor and getting more out of Gladio than just being a fucking asshat the entire game. Even if this is pretty short, I don't regret getting it so far. It's actually kind of making me wish it were linear like FFXIII but with this game's combat. The moment to moment combat and story pacing is working very well here.

Yeah just beat it as well. Took me a little over an hour. I figured it'd be short but it was even shorter than I expected. It was ok. Kind of buggy as well. During the third trial the game bugged out on me and I couldn't use my items. Then when i tried to reload my last checkpoint it took me to the beginning of the dungeon. Also a lot of little of weird hit detection and collision issues. The dungeon was also very straight forward, even more so then the regular dungeons in the full game. It was a decent experience though, I liked playing as Gladiolus and I liked how they gave him his own systems, learning more about Cor was cool too.

Meowster

I want to play but I also want to just wait for all the episodes to be out and replay it all at once as a complete venture. Ugh. I'm glad that everyone seems to have enjoyed their time with it. The trailer looked like a lot of fun.

Socivol

I really enjoyed it just wish it was a bit longer. It did a lot to make Gladio a much better character and I appreciated Cor's background as well.

Toth

This needed to be a part of the main game.

It was a necessary decision given that a) fans wanted to play the bros by themselves and b) this section would have delayed the game even further.

Ultimately, this is what DLC should be used for : taking what would have been throwaway event / scenario in a game (or a cut area) and giving them extra development time. If it had been in game, it would have been just another optional dungeon with maybe an extra cutscene or two.

This needed to be a part of the main game.

Eh, not really. It was enjoyable with some nice story beats, but it definitely felt like a sidestory. Besides given the mostly seamless nature of the main narrative where you never diverge from Noctis it would have been odd to have an hour of a different character plopped in.

Socivol

Eh, not really. It was enjoyable with some nice story beats, but it definitely felt like a sidestory. Besides given the mostly seamless nature of the main narrative where you never diverge from Noctis it would have been odd to have an hour of a different character plopped in.
I was thinking the same thing the whole game is you following Noctis it would've been weird to allow you to play at Gladio out of the blue. I also feel like they wouldn't have had enough time to make all of the characters playable because if they did they would have left character switching in. After playing as Gladio I can see why they made only Noctis the main character. I was so annoyed I couldn't warp strike the whole time I was playing.

Really was kicking my butt on Normal but it was very fun! Loved the exposition via the camp fire scenes, such as learning about
Clarus not taking on the Trials and why.
Somehow I missed columns and items so I gotta get back in there and find them.

The Final Trial is so hard! If I had an extra potion or two I certainly would have beaten it by now but man, just gotta get good with blocking everything.

Did one time trial and got over 500,000. I'm guessing the trick is to block until your rage is x4 and then attacking everyone?

Loved the Chapter 13 additions as well. I'm someone who looks past the faults of FFXV and has a fun time so I really enjoyed Gladio and Ignis' time together and the slight exposition. Was a bit sad that
Ravus was killed by 'Noctis' right after he accepted Noctis as a worthy King who will clear the Starscourge.

Phatcorns

I have the season pass and every time I try to select downloadable content from the main menu it says "This content cannot be selected at this time." Anyone else having this problem? I'm in the US btw.

I have the season pass and every time I try to select downloadable content from the main menu it says "This content cannot be selected at this time." Anyone else having this problem? I'm in the US btw.

Stupid question but you have downloaded the data from the PS Store / downloaded the update to enable compatibility with the DLC?

Download it from the store first.

I said it in the OT, but I love how Gladio controls in this. This was the most fun I've had with the combat in FFXV and it's great how different it feels from Noctis. I literally cheered after finishing the bonus final trial. The main game never challenged me like that.

Finished the episode a while ago. Enjoyed it, even though commands felt unresponsive at some points (like: press X to jump... nothing happens).

Music was ace, and learning more about Cor was pretty nice. That final trial though... lol, too hard right for me right now. A couple more items would help a lot.

Since this is a fresh thread, I might get an answer!

How am I supposed to play FF15... I beat the game and started a new one under the assumption I gain access to things that weren't present in the original game. Am I misunderstanding this? I need to play through the game once more to reach the Gilgamesh trial?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The new songs are pretty ace and they're great. Keichii Okabe right?

Also I'm looking for that Somnus orchestra they played during this episode.

Also the new Noctis arrangement is pretty great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho8mVUZsAgg

How am I supposed to play FF15... I beat the game and started a new one under the assumption I gain access to things that weren't present in the original game. Am I misunderstanding this? I need to play through the game once more to reach the Gilgamesh trial?

You can play the Gilgamesh trial any time. Check the Downloadable Content in the main menu.

To access it you need to get Gladio's DLC Episode (or Season Pass) and select it from the main menu. You can't do the trial in the main game.

Socivol

It shows up under Downloadable Content on the main menu once you've downloaded it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'll dive into this during the weekend. I liked the Gladio gameplay in Chapter 13 Verse 2 so this should be fun.

Its a little funny how much more responsive gladio feels compared to noct despite being the sluggish one in combat style.pretty decent dlc for 5 bucks, 2-3 hours of solid gameplay with a completely new character and a new playstyle.
Still can't figure out how to do the lunge attack though. Goes of randomly.
If this any indication, i won't have any problems buying the next dlc.
And an expansion if it contains playable aranea and cor and iris.
Cant say i care for multiplayer though. Wouldve preferred a new story segment.

It was a necessary decision given that a) fans wanted to play the bros by themselves and b) this section would have delayed the game even further.

Ultimately, this is what DLC should be used for : taking what would have been throwaway event / scenario in a game (or a cut area) and giving them extra development time. If it had been in game, it would have been just another optional dungeon with maybe an extra cutscene or two.

Or maybe instead of all the time spent on that huuuuuuuge open world that could've been condensed or all the car bullshit or this or that, that development time could've went into more fun and focused scenarios like this.

As far as it being a side story, I could see it being like say in FFVIII where you play as Laguna, where you have brief side sections like that and I doubt anyone would've complained about it. And it could've been worked in more organically.

Still lots of could and should haves, it is what it is. I still enjoyed it a lot.

daveo42

Banned
Downloading now. A little disappointed in the length, but at least it doesn't cost all that much overall. Hopefully it's good for its short stay.

So if I'm starting a fresh play through of the regular game, and what point does Episode Gladio start?

Does it even start if I'm just playing the main game, or is it something different I have to pick from the main menu?

If that's the case, at which Chapter should I "pause" and then start Episode Gladiolus, so it fits the proper timeline?

SoulUnison

Banned
So if I'm starting a fresh play through of the regular game, and what point does Episode Gladio start?

Does it even start if I'm just playing the main game, or is it something different I have to pick from the main menu?

If that's the case, at which Chapter should I "pause" and then start Episode Gladiolus, so it fits the proper timeline?

There's really no way to miss it. You'll know.

Thanks for the quick replies, fellas!

Once I reach that spoilered chapter and see whatever it is, then I'll do Episode Gladio and go back to the game.

Top Bottom