• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight Switch 3.0A update now outputs 1080p docked (was 720p prior)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Zelda in 720p docked please 😂😂
I keep playing in handheld mode

The Third Heat

Neo Member
Ugh. If there's anything I hate about this generation of gaming is how much I suddenly care about resolution and frame rates. Never cared before but now I'm watching DF videos on the daily and wringing my hands over a few FPS stutters in Zelda.

What have I become.

Edit: which is to say I love hearing they did this. thank you i love you thanks

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, but... have they fixed the scaling yet? It's not a huge issue, but it's silly that they don't let you change it.

J@hranimo

Banned
Wait, this was 720p docked? I just started playing Specter of Torment like two days ago and didn't notice this at all.

Aye I'll take that free res bump!

Awesome! I emailed David from Yacht Club Games about this on Tuesday and he stated that this patch was going up soon - glad to see that it's out!

Should I buy this game GAF? I've always been interested in it but I have never played it.

Shovel Knight (the Shovel of Hope campaign) is fantastic, and so is the newest Specter of Torment campaign. I would recommend the game just to play those two.

I personally found the Plague of Shadows campaign much less interesting. It takes away a lot of what I liked about gameplay of the original, and goes for something different. I am not saying it is terrible, but I think it is the weakest campaign of the three out there.

I would still say buy it.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Based Yacht Club. It always had such nice scaling, but I ain't complaining!

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Could this be related to that bug with docked mode the Fast RMX guys said got addressed in the system update?

I would say no. That fix was about reducing the GPU resources used by the OS, which would allow Fast RMX to hit its full resolution more often. I got the impression the drain wasn't that big. Given that Shovel Knight is purposefully aiming to be an NES(+) game, I can't imagine Switch would have any issue displaying this game at 1080p.

how is this game with the joycon dpad?

I played the whole thing in handheld mode and never had issues. I went back and forth between using the stick and pad without thinking.

The stick is not as bad as you would think, and the only issue with it is you sometime talk to characters my accident, as an up input on pad or stick is the command to talk.

It is a great handheld game for the Switch, and uses very little battery too.

RAWRferal

I double dipped on this for switch but have only played it portable so far. This is great news buuuut...

What the hell?? Why wasn't this 1080p docked in the first place? It's a side scrolling platformer.

Edit: my bad

Mega

Banned
Ugh. If there's anything I hate about this generation of gaming is how much I suddenly care about resolution and frame rates. Never cared before but now I'm watching DF videos on the daily and wringing my hands over a few FPS stutters in Zelda.

What have I become.

Compared to a normal 3D game, this is actually a big deal because of the pixelated graphics suffering from sub-native res upscale.

Yeah, but... have they fixed the scaling yet? It's not a huge issue, but it's silly that they don't let you change it.

I wonder. 1080p should help, but it is still not an integer scale of the native 400x240. However, I read somewhere that each "pixel" in 1080p Shovel Knight is 4.5x4.5 pixels. So it, should be perfectly fine? Not sure how that works.

Piggus

What have I become.

It means you have standards. Zelda's performance in docked mode is unacceptable.

Top Bottom