• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Person of the Year Award

Time magazine names #MeToo 'silence breakers' as person of the year.

time-person-of-the-year-f0bc3eb1942dbe76.jpg

Well deserved. It has ousted scum for most of the year and has caused quite a few changes with hopefully many more to come.

Dunki

Decent choice. However I would probably wished for someone who did and will not only leave an impact in America but in the whole world. Also personally I think it should affect the whole year not only a small part of it. We do not even know if this will have consequences past this year.

Dunki

So this only had an affect in America?

Who would you have chosen???

Erdogan. His Rise to power through a most likely fake coup et tat reminds me of Hitler. And he has the same mindset as well. With him in Power Turkey went to a pretty democratic and moderate Country to a hellhole in less than year. This person will have huge impact on the world long after 2017. He is the bridge bteween the radical Islam and Europe. His dream is to establish a new caliphate with radical ideas. He wants the Ottoman Empire back.

If there is currently one person who will cause a WW3 its probably him.

Trump is just stupid and gone in 3 years. Erdogan is evil and crazy.

So this only had an affect in America?

Who would you have chosen???

No the #metoo campaign has been huge in Sweden.

But i agree with some critics that we need to tread lightly so it doesnt become a witch hunt.

There’s a reason why there is innocent before proven guilty.

Also the women who has legit cases but cant prove it in court need to be careful so they dont get sued for slander.

Erdogan. His Rise to power through a most likely fake coup et tat reminds me of Hitler. And he has the same mindset as well. With him in Power Turkey went to a pretty democratic and moderate Country to a hellhole in less than year. This person will have huge impact on the world long after 2017. He is the bridge bteween the radical Islam and Europe. His dream is to establish a new caliphate with radical ideas. He wants the Ottoman Empire back.

Maybe in a year or so, and if he makes true on any of your predictions he will win. For now though, this movement has had far more reach and significance than him.

i-Lo

I'd have chosen Erdogan or Duterte, absolute monsters wielding such power. But I think they went for those who empowered a positive movement.

Kinda dumb.

Yes, choosing those chose spoke out in against sexual harassment in unison to finally launch a movement that is seeing such a massive Nationwide effect on rich and powerful perpetrators is dumb.

/S

So according to Trump, Time's Person of the Year was either him or the women who accused him of sexual assault?

That's rich.

It perfectly crystallizes the divide. One one hand you have the 'deporables' who will stand in line to vote for a known serial abuser and philanderer in Donald Trump and Roy Moore, knowing full well that they are or just not believing the women who speak out, and on the other you have people around the world who are finding the courage to speak out about their experiences being abused by men like them. And Donald Trump not only abused women and admitted he did on multiple occasions, but also personally represents the silencing and dismissal of women who speak out. The hot sauce on top is that he lied about how he turned down this award so that the #MeToo movement could even receive it. Incredible times we live in.

I'd have chosen Erdogan or Duterte, absolute monsters wielding such power. But I think they went for those who empowered a positive movement.

Neither of those two leaders have had significant influence on the world, or represent any kind of movement or game change outside of their countries.

Meh3D

Is that Taylor Swift? Why is she grouped up with the others? Did she recently come forward about being sexually assaulted?

i-Lo

Neither of those two leaders have had significant influence on the world, or represent any kind of movement or game change outside of their countries.

Yes, true that they have brought their own countries to new heights of despair but their actions spells greater trouble on the horizon for EU and other governments who are being inspired by the murderous bastard respectively.

Dunki

Maybe in a year or so, and if he makes true on any of your predictions he will win. For now though, this movement has had far more reach and significance than him.

But the time that has "passed" after this does not really make it certain that things will change in the long run. Do not get me wrong. It was and probably still have a impact these days. but Erdogans Impact was over the whole year with arresting/removing way over 100k of teachers, police officers or basically everyone who opposes him, Giving him a Dictatorship abolishing the right for LGBT parades or protests, removing teachings evolution from school etc. The whole country is suffering because of it.

With metoo it can end like in a week or month and everything goes on as normal beside some actors, journalists etc getting fired. Its prob a good message but it does not reflect the year in my opinion.

Wulfric

Funnily enough, these women are also the reason this forum is 90% empty.

Nothing but gratitude to all the women and men who spoke up this year against predators.

Damerman

I agree with this. The guy is wreaking havoc. I have to admit that the choice they made was the right one.

t-storm

Decent choice. However I would probably wished for someone who did and will not only leave an impact in America but in the whole world. Also personally I think it should affect the whole year not only a small part of it. We do not even know if this will have consequences past this year.
It didn't just have an impact in America, politicians in governments all over the world have had to resign because of sexual harassment and misconduct.

On your second point, I think it's safe to say this will carry into 2018 and onward. I believe society has crossed a line and it's not going back.

nush

Gold Member
It's a movement that is still ongoing, I'm sure many big names will be called out soon at this rate.

Rookje

While I'm not a fan of Trump, it should of been Trump.

He was the most talked about person this year by far.

Edit: Ah nm, I guess he was it last year.

llien

#metoo turning victims into celebrities negates the "victims have no motivation to lie" argument and is a double edged sword.

I'd find it hilarious if they would pick Weinstein.

#me (the ones who reported it to the police and have unleashed the torrent) deserve more credit, than those, who #too.

No the #metoo campaign has been huge in Sweden.

Any celebrities among them?

Haven't seen anything in Germany. Very small ripples ("touched my knee during interview" against MP with no consequences) in UK, not much going on in France to my knowledge either.

Alx

not much going on in France to my knowledge either.

There is an equivalent keyword trending in France on Twitter (#balancetonporc), although it's not aimed at famous people (as it should be,really... it's more about letting common victims of abuse break the silence, than target big celebrities). There were a few cases of sexual abuse by known people that were revealed in the wake of that campaign though, Tariq Ramadan being the only major one.

Dunki

#metoo turning victims into celebrities negates the "victims have no motivation to lie" argument and is a double edged sword.

I'd find it hilarious if they would pick Weinstein.

#me (the ones who reported it to the police and have unleashed the torrent) deserve more credit, than those, who #too.

Any celebrities among them?

Haven't seen anything in Germany. Very small ripples ("touched my knee during interview" against MP with no consequences) in UK, not much going on in France to my knowledge either.
Yeah it was pretty silent in Germany. I do not know of any names to be honest. Mabye it is also our culture? I doubt it had much influence in Europe, Asia or Africa then it had in the US. Thats also why I said this is more an US thing.

I highly doubt it is just celebrities that have found the courage to come forward, although they're the ones that will get the headlines. I'm sure many ordinary men and women have come forward in your countries that aren't making the news.

Top Bottom