• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox successor codename is "Ten". Expected release Holiday 2012.

derFeef said:
I don't think we will make any big leaps nowadays. Look at Samaritarian - it looks amazing for sure and this in realtime will be fantastic, but it is not that different from todays games. It's an increase in fidelity, resolution and added rendering techniques. And I do not think we will get any raytrayced games anytime soon because it is such a different approach that we would need everyone from devs to hardware manufactors jump on that.

On the one hand you have people saying this, on the other you have people criticizing every small failure of games graphics and noting sub 720P, sub 30 FPS, etc etc etc.

But if we had anywhere near "enough" power, every game would be 1080P and 60 FPS.

Personally I'm on record stating I believe the graphical jump to next gen consoles will be the largest in video game history.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
specialguy said:
On the one hand you have people saying this, on the other you have people criticizing every small failure of games graphics and noting sub 720P, sub 30 FPS, etc etc etc.

But if we had anywhere near "enough" power, every game would be 1080P and 60 FPS.

Personally I'm on record stating I believe the graphical jump to next gen consoles will be the largest in video game history.

I'll second that.

This gen was about shaders and complex lighting and nice physics etc. But a struggle to get there. Next gen there will be enough headroom to take that as read, add in 1080p/60fps and then focus on what can be done in those worlds.

Developers should have more freedom.

Toolchains can be carried across pretty well from this gen, development costs will not spiral out of control as high res assets are already being produced, they just won't need to be reduced in quality as much as now. And smaller developers will benefit from mature platforms and good tools meaning better independent distribution digitally.

DeMeester

I've never heard of ray tracing up until this very thread. I've had a look at the explanation of this technique via wiki (i"m not sure if that's accurate enough). It seems pretty interesting to me, but doesn't it require immense amounts of 'horse' power?

This whole "1080p / 60fps as standard" meme is insane. Which companies anywhere in gaming history have built arbitrary limits like that? What if a company wants to push the new technology to its new limit, that would require dropping frames. Just because your shiny new Panasonic LED can show images that detailed and that fast doesn't mean that the rest of the world gives a flying fuck.

Blackface

Banned
StevieP said:
Call of Duty is just as much of a casual title as Wii Sports. And I wasn't talking about Wii Sports when I mentioned Nintendo's "core" gaming output.

You're a "hyperbolist"

That was before bulldozer ended up being shit (especially in power consumption, where it matters most). I still wonder if Microsoft had flip-flopped back to IBM to get their next CPU but then we have this ARM rumour. Hmm.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/39077/Nintendo-working-on-Wii-U-support-for-two-tablets

Bulldozers power consumption is bad, but the actual CPU is significantly better then a majority of CPU's on the market. Only a few CPU's by Intel are better, and more expensive. So explain to me why something like Bulldozer would be bad in a console? It absolutely, with almost no words to express how much, blows anything that has ever been in a console away.

Expecting something like 2500k or a 2600k inside the next-gen systems is a dream. It will never happen. A bulldozer CPU inside a console, would produce much like a 2500k inside a PC. Since there is a lot less going on and much more optimization happening. Lets also not forget that a majority of titles of consoles are significantly more GPU dependent then CPU dependent. Unlike games like Wow, which depend more on your CPU then GPU.

If they do go with AMD, I think it could be a custom off-spin of the bulldozer CPU. I think they could also be able to strike up a deal with them to also acquire a GPU. Something AMD is top of the mountain at. I will say this, a console with full AMD products in it will be EXTREMELY powerful and much cheaper then one with an nvidia gpu, and an ARM/Intel/IBM CPU. Simply because AMD would offer better pricing if both components are coming from them.

FyreWulff

Wolves Evolve said:
This whole "1080p / 60fps as standard" meme is insane. Which companies anywhere in gaming history have built arbitrary limits like that? What if a company wants to push the new technology to its new limit, that would require dropping frames. Just because your shiny new Panasonic LED can show images that detailed and that fast doesn't mean that the rest of the world gives a flying fuck.

Also it'll never matter how powerful a console (or even a computer) is, developers will want to push it as far as it can go.

1080p/60fps would be an arbitrary wall that would leave a significant portion of the console's power untapped. There's a reason that the only 1080p 60fps shooter on Xbox is Perfect Dark, and that's because it's a game that was on a console 2 generations ago that wasn't even powerful enough to render just the AR in Halo: Reach in a first person view.

Raide

FyreWulff said:
Also it'll never matter how powerful a console (or even a computer) is, developers will want to push it as far as it can go.

1080p/60fps would be an arbitrary wall that would leave a significant portion of the console's power untapped. There's a reason that the only 1080p 60fps shooter on Xbox is Perfect Dark, and that's because it's a game that was on a console 2 generations ago that wasn't even powerful enough to render just the AR in Halo: Reach in a first person view.

Its more the thing PC Gamers mention as their trump card over Console gamers. If next-gen 360 beats that, then they have to jump to 4k@120fps.

Spanish Wrath said:
29xu9er.png

...... I get it.

Hah!

FyreWulff

Raide said:
Its more the thing PC Gamers mention as their trump card over Console gamers. If next-gen 360 beats that, then they have to jump to 4k@120fps.

That's another part of it.. even if every game did 1080p 60fps, everyone would just then want games that fully support 120fps TVs.

Raide

FyreWulff said:
That's another part of it.. even if every game did 1080p 60fps, everyone would just then want games that fully support 120fps TVs.

Some nice AA and a solid framerate would help so many current gen titles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wolves Evolve said:

its not a meme, its just a logical limit that current TVs have. There is no point going beyond it, and next gen consoles should be able to display at that rate fairly readily.

Of course there will be games that push that envelope and end up at 30fps. But unlike this generation where 'HD' means 720p/30 usually, and often below that, next gen will (hopefully) be 1080p/60 generally, with dips for certain games. and that also means 720p/60/3D without major loss of detail should be straightforward too.

Because this is the maximum currently supported by CE displays (I realise PC monitors can go higher), then once you're there you can spend any additional horsepower on other things. Like audio - effectively we're already at 5.1 LPCM or high bitrate DD/DTS. Thats effectively all you need audio-wise.

And its only twice the fillrate of 720p, so should be a reasonable target to hit even with a fairly modest boost in power.

mrklaw said:
its not a meme, its just a logical limit that current TVs have. There is no point going beyond it, and next gen consoles should be able to display at that rate fairly readily.

The PS2 could "display at that rate fairly readily". It's not a function of power, it's a design decision. If you take twice as long to render the frames (30fps vs 60fps) you have more time to make the scene look better for each frame. This will never not be true, so until you reach the point where the difference in visual quality is extremely small (i.e. substantially into diminishing returns) it's a choice that some, or even most developers are going to make.

mrklaw said:
Of course there will be games that push that envelope and end up at 30fps. But unlike this generation where 'HD' means 720p/30 usually, and often below that, next gen will (hopefully) be 1080p/60 generally, with dips for certain games. and that also means 720p/60/3D without major loss of detail should be straightforward too.

I doubt it, 1080p/30 will be the norm for most games. I have no idea where those expectations of 60 fps across the board come from, most studios will always aim for lower frame rate and higher graphical fidelity.

mclem

mrklaw said:
honestly, don't we say this every generation? And I'm not being flippant, we genuinely thought PS2 games were as good as graphics could get. Shit, Ridge Racer 1 on PS1 was like having the arcade in your home.

So while we genuinely can't imagine anything looking better than UC3 right now, I hope we'll look back on that comment in 3-4 years time and chuckle.

I can easily believe things can look better than UC3; see Pixar stuff, see Avatar.

What I don't believe is that developers will be able to make things that look better than UC3 and still turn a profit without skimping on some *other* aspect.

Raide

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I doubt it, 1080p/30 will be the norm for most games. I have no idea where those expectations of 60 fps across the board come from, most studios will always aim for lower frame rate and higher graphical fidelity.

For the big budget stuff, those teams will push for 1080p@60fps. Though it is certainly interesting to see what something like Gears would look like at locked 720@60fps, with all the extra AA, fancy stuff.

Xun

derFeef said:
I don't think we will make any big leaps nowadays. Look at Samaritarian - it looks amazing for sure and this in realtime will be fantastic, but it is not that different from todays games. It's an increase in fidelity, resolution and added rendering techniques. And I do not think we will get any raytrayced games anytime soon because it is such a different approach that we would need everyone from devs to hardware manufactors jump on that.
Indeed.

I don't think the jump is there yet. Is that really the best the next generation will be able to do? I hope not.

Dipswitch

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread - I had forgotten about it personally. Not sure if it lends any credence to the whole ARM architecture in the next Xbox rumor, but I'm at a loss as to what else they're planning to use it for.

Personally, I don't think ARM has the ooomph to power the next gen at 1080p, so I'm hoping the rumor is a bust.

jonremedy

Dipswitch said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread - I had forgotten about it personally. Not sure if it lends any credence to the whole ARM architecture in the next Xbox rumor, but I'm at a loss as to what else they're planning to use it for.

Personally, I don't think ARM has the ooomph to power the next gen at 1080p, so I'm hoping the rumor is a bust.

Ehm, Microsoft is currently developing Windows 8 for ARM. That's what they're using it for.

Dipswitch

jonremedy said:
Ehm, Microsoft is currently developing Windows 8 for ARM. That's what they're using it for.

Would they need a license for that though? I was under the impression that you would only licence the architecture if you were going to create custom ARM based processors, not simply support the instruction set in software. Could be wrong on that though.

FyreWulff

Raide said:
Some nice AA and a solid framerate would help so many current gen titles.

AA problem could be solved with more VRAM in order to do it. Framerate will always be up to the developer to handle, though.

jonremedy

Dipswitch said:
Would they need a license for that though? I was under the impression that you would only licence the architecture if you were going to create custom ARM based processors, not simply support the instruction set in software. Could be wrong on that though.

I'm sure Microsoft wants to be able to deeply investigate how the processor works at every stage to maximise Windows and program performance.

Ptaaty

I'm ready.

And this gen will be a far bigger jump than last. Xbox-PS2_GC era was a shorter cycle, and remember how poor of a showing PS3 and xbox360 first gen titles were?

It wasn't until Gears that I felt the difference was "massive". In the time since they have learned, UC3 for example.

The biggest reason I feel confident in a bigger jump is time - this is years extra than the last few cycles.

monome

Ptaaty said:
I'm ready.

And this gen will be a far bigger jump than last. Xbox-PS2_GC era was a shorter cycle, and remember how poor of a showing PS3 and xbox360 first gen titles were?

It wasn't until Gears that I felt the difference was "massive". In the time since they have learned, UC3 for example.

The biggest reason I feel confident in a bigger jump is time - this is years extra than the last few cycles.

Yep, next-gen started with Gears for me too.

A new Xbox with a new Halo would be a massive, even better than the orgasm Super Nintendo+MarioWorld gave me but I'm a grown up now, and I don't believe in fairy tales.

Consoles need games and I'd rather have an old Xbox 360 with AAA games for the next two years rather than a drought on Xbox Loop.
As soon as a new console launches, I can hardly touch the previous iteration.
Stupid from me but true nonetheless.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
monome said:
Yep, next-gen started with Gears for me too.

A new Xbox with a new Halo would be a massive, even better than the orgasm Super Nintendo+MarioWorld gave me but I'm a grown up now, and I don't believe in fairy tales.

Consoles need games and I'd rather have an old Xbox 360 with AAA games for the next two years rather than a drought on Xbox Loop.
As soon as a new console launches, I can hardly touch the previous iteration.
Stupid from me but true nonetheless.

but that is a reason for them to launch sooner IMO.

Assuming you don't trade-in your 360/PS3, you can spooge over the Xbox loop's launch games, and then enjoy the 360's final year of great games during the loop's drought. Overlaps are good. If you wait until the 360 is nearly dead, you'll still have a drought on the new console, and nothing to fill that drought with.

It will be interesting to see how much of a difference there is between the hardware next gen. I think Microsoft are in more of a position to sell at a larger loss than Sony is.

I also wonder that if branding the next Xbox as a Windows device means that some of the costs will be absorbed by that division.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I'd be happy with todays graphics but in 1080p with real FSAAx4 and some nice texture filtering and newer shader effects.

StevieP

Banned
Xun said:
Indeed.

I don't think the jump is there yet. Is that really the best the next generation will be able to do? I hope not.

It won't even get that good lol.

I'd be happy with todays graphics but in 1080p with real FSAAx4 and some nice texture filtering and newer shader effects.

There is already a platform today that you can get this. Don't assume consoles will have a 1080p60fps standard next gen, as Microsoft's "we mandate 720p HD!" cries weren't even followed by their launch titles. Dropping resolution and frames in the interest of more vaseline on the concrete walls will still be commonplace next gen.

Blackface said:
Bulldozers power consumption is bad, but the actual CPU is significantly better then a majority of CPU's on the market. Only a few CPU's by Intel are better, and more expensive. So explain to me why something like Bulldozer would be bad in a console? It absolutely, with almost no words to express how much, blows anything that has ever been in a console away.

Expecting something like 2500k or a 2600k inside the next-gen systems is a dream. It will never happen. A bulldozer CPU inside a console, would produce much like a 2500k inside a PC. Since there is a lot less going on and much more optimization happening. Lets also not forget that a majority of titles of consoles are significantly more GPU dependent then CPU dependent. Unlike games like Wow, which depend more on your CPU then GPU.

If they do go with AMD, I think it could be a custom off-spin of the bulldozer CPU. I think they could also be able to strike up a deal with them to also acquire a GPU. Something AMD is top of the mountain at. I will say this, a console with full AMD products in it will be EXTREMELY powerful and much cheaper then one with an nvidia gpu, and an ARM/Intel/IBM CPU. Simply because AMD would offer better pricing if both components are coming from them.

The problem with Bulldozer in a console isn't that it's an awful CPU from a computing perspective (it isn't, it's almost as good as SandyBridge, and better in a few small areas). It's entirely related to its power consumption. In a console, that's the biggest thing that matters.

At this point last year, we had gaffer BBoyDubC (who is an engineer at AMD) claiming that he is working on a CPU for an unspecified next gen console (posted in a Microsoft thread) and was pushing it for a 2012 release. All next gen consoles are going to have GPUs from AMD, so we theorized that it could be an APU-type package (like Fusion Trinity) based on bulldozer. Now that bulldozer is out, there seem to be a lot better ways to use the 100-200w in your typical console package. Fusion Llano isn't exactly a high-end gaming device and Fusion Trinity being based on a 500-ish SPU Northern Islands doesn't bode well for its gaming performance either.

AzaK

Ptaaty said:
I'm ready.

But companies had to lose buttloads of cash to do it. I'm not so sure they will do that again this time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
AzaK said:
But companies had to lose buttloads of cash to do it. I'm not so sure they will do that again this time.
no brand new drive tech with high cost and poor yield. No more steep learning curve for multithreaded development. No more learning how to use shaders efficiently

tech next gen will be more stable, tools will be more stable. Its a turbo gen, no reinventing the wheel, just a much faster engine

tinfoilhatman said:
These kinds of posts always make me scratch my head. Resolution over graphics is a horrible tradeoff. I'm just glad console manufacturers won't mandate full 1080p/60fps at the expense of graphical fidelity. The only mandate should be at least 720p HD.

AzaK

H_Prestige said:
These kinds of posts always make me scratch my head. Resolution over graphics is a horrible tradeoff. I'm just glad console manufacturers won't mandate full 1080p/60fps at the expense of graphical fidelity. The only mandate should be at least 720p HD.

I agree. In the scheme of things when we're talking about realism or graphical "power" resolution should be the least of our concerns.

For years we've all been watching DVDs in SD and they have looked amazing.

venne

Ptaaty said:
I'm ready.

Fight Night Round 3 for me. First 360 game that made me say damn.

Bought it and I'm not into boxing and had some childish hate for EA at the time.

Majanew

Banned
English (nice translation):

We already have quite a bit about the new Xbox and Xbox Loop name has already come twice. Today is another source who told Xboxygen some new details about the next Xbox. We will not disclose obviously not his name, but just know that it is near the middle of Microsoft.

Our source tells us that the project first began in 2005 and is divided into two parts: Part Infinity for all that hardware and software for the party Loop.

It also tells us that an announcement will be made at CES 2012. Not necessarily with a huge announcement of the first games already, but we should have some information on the new console, as some of its capabilities. CPU level, it would be a hexa-core with 2GB of DDR3, and our source also told us of a prototype dual-GPU AMD. We could not know the RAM.

Apparently Sony is also on the alert for the Playstation 4 and the teams also expect an announcement not so long ago by the Japanese giant.

The CES 2012 will start on January 12 and count on us to follow very closely what will have to say Microsoft for this show. This is an opportunity to confirm this information or not.

Surprised that it's rumored to have 2GB of DDR3. Figured it'd be more if it's using DDR3. Ah, so the 2GB's of DDR3 are on the CPU and the GPU will have its own?

I doubt we'll see 1920x1080 across the board. 1280x1080 is a great compromose, with 50% more pixels than 720p, but with a significant perofrmance boost over Full HD. Many people barely see the difference HD makes over SD and judging by Call of Duty sales, resolution makes no impact on sales whatsoever. 1280x1080 with nice MLAA (which will get a bump in qualitu due to more processing time available and higher number of pixes analized) along with a good scaler will be more than enough for mainstream. Full HD is overkill.

dr_rus

Dipswitch said:
What's CPU has to do with rendering resolution? It's solely up to GPU and it's memory bandwidth to provide 1080p for as much titles as possible.

As for the ARM rumour, console CPUs shouldn't be very complex and ARM is just an ISA, not h/w CPU architecture. You can do a high performing CPU using ARM ISA -- that's what NVIDIA is doing in its Denver project right now.

There are two reasons why I doubt that MS will choose ARM for the next Xbox. The first is backwards compatibility with 360 game library. They already broke it once by going from x86 to PowerPC, do they really need to brake it again by going from PowerPC to ARM for no apparent reason? The second reason is that MS isn't exactly known as a good ARM CPU designer and if you're looking at third parties to design your ARM CPU you're really selecting from ARM's reference designs (mostly aimed at smartphones) and NVIDIA's Denver project. It just makes much more sense to use IBM's CPU design knowledge again and that means that CPU will again use Power ISA, not ARM.

But we'll see.

[Nintex]

tomchoucrew said:
An another source told Xboxygen that something will happen at CES.
According to this source, there is two teams working on the next xbox: "Infinity" for the hardware part and "Loop" for the software one.
The source is speaking about hexa-core with 2BG DDR3 with a double AMD GPU prototype.

http://www.xboxygen.com/Xbox-720/Nouvelle-Xbox-CES-2012-et-GPU-ATI

We'll see at CES...
I'm surprised it didn't leak earlier, some folks weren't exactly careful with the information so maybe the IGN guys and such are under NDA. I dunno...

tomchoucrew said:
An another source told Xboxygen that something will happen at CES.
According to this source, there is two teams working on the next xbox: "Infinity" for the hardware part and "Loop" for the software one.
The source is speaking about hexa-core with 2BG DDR3 with a double AMD GPU prototype.

http://www.xboxygen.com/Xbox-720/Nouvelle-Xbox-CES-2012-et-GPU-ATI

We'll see at CES...

So much nonsense in one single post...

Double AMD GPU=nonsense

DDR3=nonsense

[Nintex]

specialguy said:
So much nonsense in one single post...

Double AMD GPU=nonsense

DDR3=nonsense
The double GPU could be part of the devkit since MS is likely gunning for 28nm(it's launching holiday 2012 after all). So whatever power you'll stuff into a double GPU now can be put into a single GPU by the start of 2012. Fun fact, a large part of Perfect Dark Zero was made using the Radeon X800.

alba

Little is the new Big
Lagspike_exe said:
I doubt we'll see 1920x1080 across the board. 1280x1080 is a great compromose, with 50% more pixels than 720p, but with a significant perofrmance boost over Full HD. Many people barely see the difference HD makes over SD and judging by Call of Duty sales, resolution makes no impact on sales whatsoever. 1280x1080 with nice MLAA (which will get a bump in qualitu due to more processing time available and higher number of pixes analized) along with a good scaler will be more than enough for mainstream. Full HD is overkill.

I think, regardless of what people actually believe about next-gen that we will see games and developers using the full spectrum of things just like this generation was/is. You'll have developers who want to use all of it for eye candy at 30fps and the CoD side of things who will go for 60fps regardless so, I just hope the disparity gap closes down a bit, I know everyone would love to get 1080p/60 but I don't think it'll happen again just like what we were expecting this gen. It'll certainly be interesting to see the final specs for both console though and see what both manufacturers stance on what the leap for next gen should be. I sure hope it's a lot but after all this gen's debacle and the amount of money it cost them (aside from Nintendo that is).

Either way, I'm very excited to hear more details! :D

Xun said:
Indeed.

I am pretty sure it won't be the best... wasn't the Samaritan Demo revealed as "UE3.5" tech?

PRetty sure Epic is working on UE4

Proelite

[Nintex] said:
The double GPU could be part of the devkit since MS is likely gunning for 28nm(it's launching holiday 2012 after all). So whatever power you'll stuff into a double GPU now can be put into a single GPU by the start of 2012. Fun fact, a large part of Perfect Dark Zero was made using the Radeon X800.

Double gtx 590s in the dev kits.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
specialguy said:

Yeah, I agree. We'll be going from 5xx p to 1080p. A 7-8 year jump in technology rather than the standard 5. While Moore's law is going to slow down soon, it didn't in the last 8 years. Intel's sandy bridge is a huge improvement over Core 2 or whatever the hell was out in 2004. Direct X 11 is much more efficient than 8/9.

The reason why many PC games don't look as improved as they should is because the few that are lead platform PC are not optimized well. Witcher 2 looks great, but really it could be 4x on the hardware. That dev team depends on dev tools out of house, so when the big developers on consoles move to dx11 engines will improve.

Slayer-33 said:
Holy shit are they really using that? lol

No way that's possible. Too much power consumption and cost. The equivalent of that hardware won't be able to go into consoles until 2014-2015. It's basically 4 high end GPUs.

Majanew said:
English (nice translation):

Surprised that it's rumored to have 2GB of DDR3. Figured it'd be more if it's using DDR3. Ah, so the 2GB's of DDR3 are on the CPU and the GPU will have its own?

2GB for the whole system would be a major disapointment after 7 years, assuming 2012 is for real. MS would cheap out. The new box has to have 4GB of RAM, especially with all the multimedia stuff MS will bring to the new Xbox and Windows operating on it as well. I hope the 2 GB are only for the CPU and the GPU gets their own 2gigs of RAM.

clutch.as.it.gets. said:
2GB for the whole system would be a major disapointment after 7 years, assuming 2012 is for real. MS would cheap out. The new box has to have 4GB of RAM, especially with all the multimedia stuff MS will bring to the new Xbox and Windows operating on it as well. I hope the 2 GB are only for the CPU and the GPU gets their own 2gigs of RAM.

The specs pretty much imply there would be separate VRAM. Probably 2GB. The DDR3 would just be system/CPU memory. It's far too slow for graphics anyway.

These specs are total bunk imo mind you, but just addressing it.

The main bunk thing is the AMD dual core GPU. There's zero need for dual core, as the most powerful single core GPU's will be too much (heat/power) to put in a console.

Top Bottom