• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heat Signature |OT| In space, no one can hear you pause

Could someone give me a quick summary of the controls in the game? I'm disabled and since game pads aren't supported, knowing the controls will help me decide if I can play this game or not.
WASD to mouse, space to pause, shift to pan, e and f for other actions, and the mouse for most everything else, including flying in space, aiming, inventory, contextual prompts while paused.

BTA

It's worth noting that pausing won't really help you for the pod control, which you need to be kinda speedy with when getting into a ship (if it has a timer from when you get the mission or you get ejected) and when you're saving yourself after being ejected.

Thraktor

It's worth noting that pausing won't really help you for the pod control, which you need to be kinda speedy with when getting into a ship (if it has a timer from when you get the mission or you get ejected) and when you're saving yourself after being ejected.

Yeah, my instinct for hammering the space bar whenever anything happens (well honed from countless hours of Paradox games) doesn't really apply too well to being ejected into space, although it does give a few seconds of breathing room to assess the situation.

Is pausing a switch or is it a hold to pause?

It's a switch.

Stoze

Could someone give me a quick summary of the controls in the game? I'm disabled and since game pads aren't supported, knowing the controls will help me decide if I can play this game or not.
Just to add onto the other responses, you can remap all the controls in the options.

Kard8p3

A tip, not a good idea to do an assassination mission when you're playing as a character who has non-lethal weapons :p

I had a wrench but couldn't find a way to kill a knocked out target?

You can bring them back a friendly station and drop them off alive, so you don't actually have to kill them. You'll even get an achievement for it.

Just realized that the liberation map basically doubles as your skill/tech tree

Yep, it even ejects you in the direction of your cursor. I haven't tried shooting myself into glass from the outside yet.
Turns out you can eject yourself directly into an airlock

Which I guess might be useful if a ship has sensors around its docking spot

Just realized that the liberation map basically doubles as your skill/tech tree

Turns out you can eject yourself directly into an airlock

Which I guess might be useful if a ship has sensors around its docking spot

I mean yeah, I noticed that too when I started looking at it. Ingenious really. Save for the large voids of blank-stations though.

Offworld = Non Lethal Weaponry
Sovereign = Lethal Weaponry
Glitchers = Teleporters and Traps
Foundry = Gadgets

commissar

Absolutely loving the game.

The main thing I dislike so far is also my own fault. When zooming around in space, you can speed up time to zip anywhere pretty fast - which is nice. But then because its the efficient thing to do, I do it all the time, and it becomes a weird min/max thing where I'm no longer enjoying the atmosphere. But one cant not have it, or heading to and from missions would slowly kill the game's momentum.

IIRC the achievements suggests there might be warzones later on which introduce a bit of pep into the ride. Yet I wonder if having boosting fuel as a resource would make the speedy-time more engaging - where judging acceleration/deceleration burn rates becomes a quietly learned skill.

That said, maybe that kind of ship exists later in the game - its still early days for me. Hopefully there's an asteroid field rally or a chase sequence or two in my future. As at the moment, every mission is a straight-line time-skip away.

Not to be all negative though, its a great game and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Good vibes, good music, good systemic interactions, and just enough flavour text that its interesting without being...as wordy as me

edit: if you get seen & shot by ships then there's an emergency fuel thing after all. cool :D

BTA

I beat a personal mission earlier and it felt AMAZING. I had no right to not be captured given my equipment (and also that if the guards had lethal weapons I would have immediately died upon being ejected) but I somehow rapidly turned things around after being ejected and somehow made my way to rescue my character's mother.

Bless breach grenades. Lots of other gadgets saved my ass there (key cloning to get around lots of guard groups, slipstream to get to the pilot and not be shot near the end, crashbeam to take down the shields of the few people I needed to kill for keys after I ran out of clones) but blowing holes and moving between them using my pod is what let me survive. It's been a few hours and I still can't believe how good that felt. Going from the moment I was knocked out (and thought I'd been lethally shot) thinking I'd die as soon as I was ejected, extremely quickly getting back in and rushing to the pilot using gadget after gadget, and then it slowly dawning on me that I might just be able to pull things off as I used up all my tools.

(I have video here fwiw, but no sound for some reason and also twitter hosting is lol)

Is there any reason to bring an enemy's ship back to a friendly station if you don't have to steal it?

You get paid a small amount for it so you might as well.

Stoze

You get paid a small amount for it so you might as well.
You only get paid extra when it's a ship during a mission I believe, and even then it's like less than 5 currency. You don't get anything for stealing ships just drifting in the ether, unless it's a random thing. edit: See post below, you don't get anything

So definitely not worth doing unless you managed to incapacitate everyone anyways I guess.

I believe the Ship Capture payment just autosells all the Loot aboard that you didn't set to Stash. And as it stands, 95% of the loot you will find is worth 0 Intel.

Anyway, on another Tom Francis Worship note - I remember him saying off-hand that the entire game runs in a single Room. I can't even begin to fathom how he and his team managed to pull such a technical feat off. Be it from optimizing so that such a large amount of space with presumably a significant amount of Objects running code in it is able to hold 60FPS - Or how the player and NPCs are able to stably stand around and move inside of space-ships that are continuously moving around that single-room without so much as a character inside those ships jittering around, while any objects thrown inside of it are able to maintain that momentum. Everything about this is absurdly impressive for what it is.

Are the weapons and items your characters use procedurally generated, or randomly selected from a predefined list?

Not a fan of the art direction, but I've read good things and will definitely pick it up when it hits the Mac.

Gattsu25

Banned
Are the weapons and items your characters use procedurally generated, or randomly selected from a predefined list?

Not a fan of the art direction, but I've read good things and will definitely pick it up when it hits the Mac.

I used to play Space Pirates And Zombies so the art is actually reminding me of my time with that game. It's busy but once you learn how to "read" it then it all just works

Stoze

I believe the Ship Capture payment just autosells all the Loot aboard that you didn't set to Stash. And as it stands, 95% of the loot you will find is worth 0 Intel.

Anyway, on another Tom Francis Worship note - I remember him saying off-hand that the entire game runs in a single Room. I can't even begin to fathom how he and his team managed to pull such a technical feat off. Be it from optimizing so that such a large amount of space with presumably a significant amount of Objects running code in it is able to hold 60FPS - Or how the player and NPCs are able to stably stand around and move inside of space-ships that are continuously moving around that single-room without so much as a character inside those ships jittering around, while any objects thrown inside of it are able to maintain that momentum. Everything about this is absurdly impressive for what it is.
Ah that makes more sense. As I mentioned that's a good thing, that way you aren't constantly pushed towards incapacitating everyone instead of playing how you want (the exception being clauses/mission requirements).

And yeah everything simulating in realtime outside of being paused is really cool. I like the fact you might see a ship flying when you open up the strategy map, and you can exit and immediately go there and board it.

Only problem I'm haviing is with the ship backgrounds, items seem to blend into the background making them hard to differentiate between items and non item background elements

Only problem I'm haviing is with the ship backgrounds, items seem to blend into the background making them hard to differentiate between items and non item background elements

That's part of the reason why pausing is so necessary. The list of items and 'what you can do here' options when you pause are really helpful.

While NMS' transition from space to planet surface is more technically impressive, I find the real time zooming and out from galaxy map to close-up action inside the ships in this game to be just as impressive on a visual and gameplay level

Gattsu25

Banned
While NMS' transition from space to planet surface is more technically impressive, I find the real time zooming and out from galaxy map to close-up action inside the ships in this game to be just as impressive on a visual and gameplay level

Especially on a gameplay level.

And I say this as someone who's always liked NMS.

Stoze

So I got an assassination mission, and I decided to try to see if it was possible to steal a ship on the way and use it to attack the other ship and blow up the rooms where the target is. And...yup, totally worked. They immediately changed course to presumably the nearest station, and started firing back so I had to be quick. I managed to destroy the room he was in and he went flying, and then they ended up blowing my ship in half along with some 1-room sized chunks. I could even get in my pod and re-hook up with pieces of the blown up ship as they're zipping through space:
Hcl5oVi.jpg

Pretty awesome game.

So I got an assassination mission, and I decided to try to see if it was possible to steal a ship on the way and use it to attack the other ship and blow up the rooms where the target is. And...yup, totally worked. They immediately changed course to presumably the nearest station, and started firing back so I had to be quick. I managed to destroy the room he was in and he went flying, and then they ended up blowing my ship in half along with some 1-room sized chunks. I could even get in my pod and re-hook up with pieces of the blown up ship as they're zipping through space.

Pretty awesome game.
You can shoot other ships?

Really hope they can diagnose and fix the memory-leak that this game has though. Getting annoying having to reboot the game every hour or so when the framerate starts to tank.

F!ReW!Re

So when you hit about 5 missions with one character you kinda hit the ceiling mission wise; can only get really hard missions.
Is the only thing you can do at that point swap to another character or?

I've got 2 characters that got their personal missions ready to go but I got no gear to take care of shielded guards :S
Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Stoze

So when you hit about 5 missions with one character you kinda hit the ceiling mission wise; can only get really hard missions.
Is the only thing you can do at that point swap to another character or?

I've got 2 characters that got their personal missions ready to go but I got no gear to take care of shielded guards :S
Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
You can still take easier missions, they just typically aren't worth doing. You can reset what missions are available by leaving and re-entering the station or going to another one. You want to retire/swap characters when their liberation effectiveness runs low - typically I hit around 40-50%, then do my main mission and retire them. If you need to kill shielded dudes, use a subverter on them to invert/remove shields. Otherwise avoid them or lure them into glitch teleporters, explodable rooms, near glass, etc.

Thraktor

I tried a game last night where I took a new character and used only wrenches (no guns or gadgets or anything), and was quite surprised at how well I was able to do. Well, until I got to the personal mission, anyway, which will be a bit tricky given the guards all have shields, and the bosses both shields and armour. I'll have to give it a go, sticking firmly to my wrench-only religious beliefs, but I don't have very high expectations of success.

One tip that it took me a while to notice: if you press T you can throw your weapon, which is very handy when you want to quietly take out enemies at a distance. Especially if you've got nothing but wrenches.

Accidentally discovering legit easy strats is so cool. I couldn't see a way out of a rather large ship with my unconscious target but then I stood on my own Glitch Trap by mistake and solved all my problems. The target got sucked out into space and into my remote controlled pod, and I was able to freely use my Sidewinder to skip my way out of the ship totally undetected.

StereoVsn

Never hard of this game and it looks pretty cool. To the Wishlist it goes. Great Steam review comment: "The AI is playing FTL, but you're playing Hotline Miami".

Look carefully for a blinking light when you're flying through space or entering the missions list or strategy map.

Yeah, I know about the blinking light. I was thinking more about zoom level, being in a mission vs free-roaming, sectors, etc.

F!ReW!Re

You can still take easier missions, they just typically aren't worth doing. You can reset what missions are available by leaving and re-entering the station or going to another one. You want to retire/swap characters when their liberation effectiveness runs low - typically I hit around 40-50%, then do my main mission and retire them. If you need to kill shielded dudes, use a subverter on them to invert/remove shields. Otherwise avoid them or lure them into glitch teleporters, explodable rooms, near glass, etc.

Thanks, thought I hit a ceiling there.

Found another useful trick:
When you pause:
Hold the left shift button to move the camera towards the mouse pointer, that way you can explore while it's paused without having the camera centered on your character; very useful.

Also, pretty awesome haul from my new character's first mission;

BTA

Thanks, thought I hit a ceiling there.

Found another useful trick:
When you pause:
Hold the left shift button to move the camera towards the mouse pointer, that way you can explore while it's paused without having the camera centered on your character; very useful.

Also, pretty awesome haul from my new character's first mission;

Doesn't it tell you that during the tutorial? I'd be dead so many times over if I wasn't doing that, hah.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just used a slipstream to daisy chain multiple visitor jumps together to snag both an objective and personal intel, that was freaking cool.

Stoze

Yeah, I know about the blinking light. I was thinking more about zoom level, being in a mission vs free-roaming, sectors, etc.
Ah, hard to say. I don't know if you can see it at the furthest zoom level, but pretty far. You should be able to see it anytime if it's spawned.
Just used a slipstream to daisy chain multiple visitor jumps together to snag both an objective and personal intel, that was freaking cool.
Slipstream is damn good.

Also just found out you can use subverters to unlock any door.

SJRB

Gold Member
Played a bunch of "easy" missions to get the hang of things and also did a couple of "medium" missions. The game is good but I feel that the UI is a bit confusing at times. Also feel that there are a lot of items/gadgets or just game mechanics that I just don't know about and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to.

I'm having fun but I feel like I'm supposed to get way more out of this, gameplay wise.

BTA

Played a bunch of "easy" missions to get the hang of things and also did a couple of "medium" missions. The game is good but I feel that the UI is a bit confusing at times. Also feel that there are a lot of items/gadgets or just game mechanics that I just don't know about and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to.

I'm having fun but I feel like I'm supposed to get way more out of this, gameplay wise.

I feel like the game does a good job of explaining items through the tool tips? But if there's anything you specifically want explained, feel free to ask. Looking around the liberation map might also help you see more of what's out there to unlock and get a better sense of that.

I'd say to keep pushing yourself to higher difficulties; I feel like gadgets click a bit more when you're forced to use them to escape chaos.

Defector missions are like little puzzles. Having to figure how to best move through a ship and handle guards when you can't harm any of them to steal their keycards and you only have a glitch trap and swapper makes you feel like a high tech genius

BTA

Defector missions are like little puzzles. Having to figure how to best move through a ship and handle guards when you can't harm any of them to steal their keycards and you only have a glitch trap and swapper makes you feel like a high tech genius

Yeah, I've only played one so far but it was really neat. I'll probably give time to a few and then actually get the Everything Gun tomorrow.

I'm out of town today and I just really want to play more; I should have gotten up earlier...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea they are pretty cool.

I just did one that starts you in space without your pod and you have to infiltrate a moving ship by propelling yourself through space with a shotgun before you suffocate.

Needless to say it took me quite a few tries :p

I just did one that starts you in space without your pod and you have to infiltrate a moving ship by propelling yourself through space with a shotgun before you suffocate.

That sounds like a really clever scenario

Stoze

Oh that one sounds cool.

My favorite one so far is you get a self-charging subverter grenade and you have to hijack a ship where everyone has shields, I just watched like a dozen dudes surround me and then shoot themselves to death.

This game is pretty damn cool. You have so many ways to approach every mission, and they're all exciting and interesting.

I had an assassination mission I needed to complete, but the entire enemy crew was fully armored and shielded. It would have been a pain to slowly stealth my way through that entire mission just to get one guy...so I didn't do that. Instead, I decided to hijack a different ship and started bombarding the hell out of my target's vessel. Needless to say, I completed the mission without much struggle. Feel good about this game so far, really enjoying it

F!ReW!Re

Doesn't it tell you that during the tutorial? I'd be dead so many times over if I wasn't doing that, hah.

Must've missed that part :p

Damn this game does really make you feel like an absolute badass,
I love teleporting all over the places and do a slice and dice with armor piercing longblade and a short blade as secondary.

For some reason I'm getting flashbacks to reading the Takeshi Kovacs' novel (Altered Carbon). Something in this game makes me think of that.

The itemization in this game is also top notch. By unlocking stuff in the skill tree you basically unlock the specific weapon/item customization.
Unlocking 'high capacity' for a specific item will put that customization into the pool of available items. And the best part is that there's chance of getting items that combine it.
It's a really well thought out element of the game...

Instead, I decided to hijack a different ship and started bombarding the hell out of my target's vessel. Needless to say, I completed the mission without much struggle.

Damn that's awesome, hadn't thought about going for an assassination that way :)

Stoze

Beat it. Great game, one of my favorites of the year. Make sure to back up your saves before activating the ending, there's a hard point of no return/save wipe which is kind of annoying. I managed to restore mine but it took some tinkering.

I will say the game did get a tad too easy and repetitive by the end, I was planning on liberating every station and doing every defector on the map but I don't know if I have it in me. While I think the starmap/skilltree is a cool idea, I got to the point where I was purposefully ignoring the shops most of the time because I found it more fun and interesting to just roll with what you pick up aboard ships and mystery crates (though it's admittedly tough to ignore a rechargable stealth shield and key cloner for <30 drops...). I also would've liked more job options - typically I'm always just picking from the highest or second highest paying jobs because it's not worth doing the other ones. Considering you can leave and re-enter the station to refresh them, it's pretty arbitrary to only have 6 or however many.

I could list some more gripes but they're all relatively minor compared to how much I enjoyed it, legitimately some of the most fun I've had with systemic/emergent gameplay. It's consistently impressive and surprising how flexible the game is built and what you can do in it. I'd be there day one for an expansion with more mission types, enemy/ship variety, new tools, etc.. I wonder what will come out of the workshop because judging by the game files it seems pretty open for modding.

Top Bottom