• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Gran Turismo Sport acquits itself well in VR

Loudninja

That said, though, Polyphony has put some thought into how it goes about employing virtual reality, making for one of the better VR racing experiences - and quite easily the best on console. There's a neat dashboard overlay discreetly placed within the car, meaning there's no messy HUD obscuring your view out of the windscreen, and the mirrors work perfectly, the rear view adapting beautifully to your head movement. It's a small thing, of course, and nothing you won't have seen before in other VR racing games, but still no mean feat given what Polyphony is playing with here.

And in the car the attention to detail makes it the measure of its PC counterparts. It's the little details that all add up - a neatly modelled set of Puma Furio racing gloves on your driver's hands, for example, lending it that extra touch of authenticity, or just the sheer craftsmanship that's been poured into the tiniest rivet in the cockpit. I took out Gran Turismo newcomer the Porsche 911 RSR for a couple of runs, its innards an amazing tangle of exposed tech and imposing air ducts. I ended up getting distracted by all that detail as I admired the carbon weave of the door sill and careered straight into my opponent. Taking to Tokyo Expressway, an urban track that I thought would put Gran Turismo Sport through its paces in VR, and it didn't lose its composure once - though once, when going through a tunnel and as that cockpit was suddenly bathed in light, I nearly lost mine.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-22-gran-turismo-sport-acquits-itself-well-in-vr

cakely

I mentioned this in the official PSVR thread, but I was really worried about how GT Sport VR would turn out.

This article has alleviated my concerns.

Loudninja

I mentioned this in the official PSVR thread, but I was really worried about how GT Sport VR would turn out.

This article has alleviated my concerns.
From the verge

Gran Turismo is one of Sony's biggest and most enduring franchises, and driving simulations are a natural fit for VR. Gran Turismo Sport is coming out in less than a month with the series' first VR support, so how does it fare? Pretty well, but with some caveats.

The immersion is definitely there. It's unambiguously fun to drive a Nissan GT-R around Suzuka Circuit in VR, especially with a force-feedback steering wheel, and it even bestows an advantage — it's easier to judge corners, and it feels really natural to check your mirrors for overtaking opponents.
"Gran Turismo Sport in VR is one-on-one only"

Or opponent, I should say, as that's one of the bigger caveats; Gran Turismo Sport's VR mode consists of a separate tour that only features one-on-one races. You'll also notice a major visual downgrade compared to what you'll get on a TV screen, though that's of course to be expected. While the VR experience doesn't match up to, say, Project Cars on PC, it looks good enough to keep you in the moment.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/22/16349000/gran-turismo-final-fantasy-inpatient-zoe-2-psvr-tgs-2017

Hopefully they expand upon it after release of they can.

Certinty

As good as it turns out to be the bottom line is that it's 1v1 racing. That alone puts me completely off.

farisr

Now rather than shooting yourself in the foot by hyping up the campaign like it's as fully featured as previous entries and having multiple cars show up in VR focused trailers, do a better job PD.

Otherwise you're just plain misleading people into thinking the game is better than it actually is and are setting yourself up for a huge backlash.

Loudninja

I own DriveClub VR and found it nearly unplayable. I'm expecting GTS VR to be a downgrade, of course, but the Eurogamer article makes it sound like it's not a disaster, which it certainly could have been. I'm optimistic now.
Both articles saying ts good its what I am getting at.

Gestault

I know they had wanted VR support across the whole game at one point, but if the one-on-one mode still manages to feel satisfying, that's an excellent component of the game. I'd love to see even a standard time attack added in for VR.

Gestault

So was this false advertising?

https://youtu.be/cUG5cUjcy8g

Without putting too fine a point on it, yes. I've been uneasy seeing the promo materials for GTS so far, because of things like that where they either specifically or implicitely over-promise on a feature, or just because of the amount of post-processing and cinematic liberties they take compared to what gameplay looks like in practice (that we've seen, anyway).

I follow this stuff closely enough to be up-to-date, but I think it's dangerous over-promising like that, especially when it comes to a big investment like VR.

Without putting too fine a point on it, yes. I've been uneasy seeing the promo materials for GTS so far, because of things like that where they either specifically or implicitely over-promise on a feature, or just because of the amount of post-processing and cinematic liberties they take compared to what gameplay looks like in practice (that we've seen, anyway).

I follow this stuff closely enough to be up-to-date, but I think it's dangerous over-promising like that, especially when it comes to a big investment like VR.

After the No Mans Sky fiasco you would think that they would go out of their way to avoid misleading ads. But maybe the fact that there ended up being no legal action successfully taken set a precedent, and they dont fear any repercussion.

Qronicle

I really hope this will be a good VR implementation. Both other racing games I tried with PSVR (Dirt Rally & DriveClub) were kind of a letdown, mostly because of the graphics.
If GT can nail this by only having one adversary, I'll gladly take it.

Bollocks

I really hope this will be a good VR implementation. Both other racing games I tried with PSVR (Dirt Rally & DriveClub) were kind of a letdown, mostly because of the graphics.
If GT can nail this by only having one adversary, I'll gladly take it.

What? DriveClub sucked, ok, but Dirt Rally was pretty great in VR?!

Top Bottom