• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I picked up:

muzettoblackinteriorfla.jpg

muzettolargeinsidelg.jpg

from Waterfield, and

http://www.hardgraft.com/products/flatpack-driftwood

and

http://www.hardgraft.com/products/2pointturn-ipadcase

from Hardgraft.

i like options. I have a time and place for each in mind.
Wow Hardgraft seems legit, nice.

jts

...hate me...
I just got Keynote for the iPad.

Does it not come with art objects such as the butterfly that you'll always see on iWork iOS intro documents, etc?

If not, is there a good library (proper PNG's with transparencies) for it available somewhere?

Tamanon

Banned
Well, new iPad purchased(Thank you Hope Credit), time to dig the ol' Apple ID out for a few games from there, and time to install new stuff!

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Anyone use a stylus with their iPad? I find it to be pretty nifty and just got a case that will hold it. I'm surprised one was never built it in like the Galaxy Note though Apple is all about the "touch" with fingers.

Quick

Banned
Anyone use a stylus with their iPad? I find it to be pretty nifty and just got a case that will hold it. I'm surprised one was never built it in like the Galaxy Note though Apple is all about the "touch" with fingers.

I have a mini stylus for my iPhone, which I've used on my iPad to mess around with Sketchbook Pro.

jts

...hate me...
...also, do you guys know of any good picture/video gallery app (completely offline, i.e. no Picasa, Dropbox, etc).

I need to get some pictures on the thing outside of the Photos app.

Cheebo

Banned
Well when Steve Jobs at both the iPhone and iPad introductions said every touch screen device that comes with a stylus is a failure it's kind of hard to put one in there.

Kal

I'm trying to change my profile picture on Twitter using the app as I can not do it on the website (keeps going to the mobile version) but it's not working; I understand there's a 700kb limit on pictures and I've tried cropping some of my pics; is there any way to find out the file sizes of the pictures I have?

kr2t0s

Well when Steve Jobs at both the iPhone and iPad introductions said every touch screen device that comes with a stylus is a failure it's kind of hard to put one in there.

The DS is not a failure.

That's just standard Jobs Reality Distortion Field.

plc268

I still think Apple is missing out on a huge segment of the market (namely: students) who could use the ipad to take handwritten notes. If they could somehow shoehorn a wacom digitizer in there (allowing you to turn off the capacitive part when writing) it would make the perfect writing tablet.

Couple that with some good handwriting recognition, then nearly every college and university would be practically handing them out to students.

As it is right now, as a learning tool, it's just a distraction where a laptop would be better.

rezuth

what?

you mean BBC iPlayer?

payed subsciption in december and it worked great. Lots of good content although they do not have the absolute latest episodes in some series, seems more to make you want to buy later seasons dvds.

No the app called "TV English Premium" its like a buck and features all the english channels, even history HD I think.

No the app called "TV English Premium" its like a buck and features all the english channels, even history HD I think.
From cult of Mac:
Update: It appears that the app’s developer has started replacing the channels with ads for “Futubox.” A classic scam. The app did work at one point, but we longer recommended buying it now.

Speaking of styluses (styli?), I'm thinking about buying the Nomad Brush. From what I've read, it seems to be one of the best for art related purposes. Does GAF agree or am I about to make a mistake?

I wish they had a pressure sensitive stylus for this damn thing.

japtor

I'd be perfectly happy with an open pen API from Apple and a real Wacom stylus based on that magical Blue Tiger tech demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrEB9xGGcLQ
Still needs a fat tip to work though. I want pressure/tilt and everything of course, but the biggest thing a Wacom would give is just plain accuracy.
Speaking of styluses (styli?), I'm thinking about buying the Nomad Brush. From what I've read, it seems to be one of the best for art related purposes. Does GAF agree or am I about to make a mistake?

I wish they had a pressure sensitive stylus for this damn thing.
Depends what you want, I guess they fine for what they're trying to do. Like I imagine it'd be bad if you want to do line art or something requiring fine details but ok for simulating watercolor or something with looser output.

Still needs a fat tip to work though. I want pressure/tilt and everything of course, but the biggest thing a Wacom would give is just plain accuracy.

That's why I said "real Wacom stylus". I don't want any of that rubber tip stuff, but all the Bluetooth 4.0 tech from Blue Tiger.

japtor

That's why I said "real Wacom stylus". I don't want any of that rubber tip stuff, but all the Bluetooth 4.0 tech from Blue Tiger.
Ah ok, kind of confusing cause a real Wacom wouldn't need anything from that tech demo.

Anyway while looking into a crazy idea I had I came across some new (mass produced) stylus type using some mesh instead of the rubber dome, so still chunky but apparently it's slick on the surface. Quite a few around $10:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=mesh+stylus

Looks like they basically just replaced the tip so I'm guessing they're all short, but the tip being slick should be a big improvement. Wouldn't be too surprised if Wacom and the other bigger names came out with similar ones.

Blackhead

Redarse
You can get a refund from apple

Also 1 out of a billion apps
Getting a refund from Apple is a pain. This isn't the first scam app by the way.

You should be able to get BBC iPlayer Global for the US
Nope can't see it in the US store.

Ah ok, kind of confusing cause a real Wacom wouldn't need anything from that tech demo.

Anyway while looking into a crazy idea I had I came across some new (mass produced) stylus type using some mesh instead of the rubber dome, so still chunky but apparently it's slick on the surface. Quite a few around $10:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=mesh+stylus

Looks like they basically just replaced the tip so I'm guessing they're all short, but the tip being slick should be a big improvement. Wouldn't be too surprised if Wacom and the other bigger names came out with similar ones.
Adonit astonishes with new pressure sensitive iOS stylus | Macworld
Rwhg5.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Just walked in and got a Black WIFI 32...she stood the box up on end and started talking about Apple care and drop protection etc, then she knocks over the box "accidentally". Can't help if this is part of their sales pitch to scare people into purchasing it.

I have 30 days to decide. What did you guys do? How much is it? $99 + $49 to replace?

Blackhead

Redarse
How would one create an immunity to that kind of move?
Isn't that what Apple's review team is supposed to protect against? They couldn't see that TV English Premium was charging for access to channels that the app likely didn't have the rights to?

Just walked in and got a Black WIFI 32...she stood the box up on end and started talking about Apple care and drop protection etc, then she knocks over the box "accidentally". Can't help if this is part of their sales pitch to scare people into purchasing it.

I have 30 days to decide. What did you guys do? How much is it? $99 + $49 to replace?
Sounds about right price wise, I am also within the 30 day window of just having purchased an iPad and I know I want AppleCare but I also want to swap out my 16 for a 32 :) I love this thing.

winnarps

Anyone have any recommendations for a good gym-oriented case for the new iPad?

I'm just looking for something that can help my iPad survive in a gym bag, locker, or any bumps/bruises from carrying around while lifting or running on the treadmill.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good gym-oriented case for the new iPad?

I'm just looking for something that can help my iPad survive in a gym bag, locker, or any bumps/bruises from carrying around while lifting or running on the treadmill.

you want to workout with an iPad? I once saw someone with an iPad while running on the treadmill and it just looked ridiculous

winnarps

you want to workout with an iPad? I once saw someone with an iPad while running on the treadmill and it just looked ridiculous

It's pretty easy to keep a jogging pace and watch television shows or read books. Same w/ being on an elliptical. Makes the workouts go by pretty quickly.

japtor

But it would need the Wacom EM Panel layer. BT and some semi-standard API would make sense but there's just no way Apple would get involved without their own product...:/
They have their own wacky stylus patents! I'm just using Wacom as a general term for good stylus I guess. Otherwise they have suppliers for everything else in the iPad, I wouldn't rule it out entirely (...just mostly).
The accuracy is still depending on the capacitive input though. Are one of those external digitizer pen companies working on pressure sensitivity? (...not that it'd matter much since there's still the issue with needing explicit support for them).

CrankyJay

Banned
Kind of confused. The icon in the app store for Words With Friends looks crisp but when I downloaded it it's low res. So is the game.

Edit: I guess they don't mean HD as in new iPad.

alekth

It's been kind of a hell getting used to drawing and writing on a capacitive screen. Drawing is still better since it has that wider swing to it to start with, but writing is hard. And this is still in long-sleeves season where I can cheat resting my hand on the screen from time to time. Which doesn't work really well, not even in Noteshelf with multigesture turned off (which I hate turning off) and wrist protection on.

I got a Taurus and an Adonit Jot Pro and really the difference isn't as big in favour of the Jot Pro as I expected it to be. The hard tip's feel can get annoying too. Sort of disappointed that completely ignoring pressure sensitivity it still feels nothing like a wacom.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Kind of confused. The icon in the app store for Words With Friends looks crisp but when I downloaded it it's low res. So is the game.

Edit: I guess they don't mean HD as in new iPad.

Developers just label stuff as HD if they have a separate iPad/iPhone versions. I don't know if this has become standard for non-universal apps but it seems like it.

japtor

It's been kind of a hell getting used to drawing and writing on a capacitive screen. Drawing is still better since it has that wider swing to it to start with, but writing is hard. And this is still in long-sleeves season where I can cheat resting my hand on the screen from time to time. Which doesn't work really well, not even in Noteshelf with multigesture turned off (which I hate turning off) and wrist protection on.

I got a Taurus and an Adonit Jot Pro and really the difference isn't as big in favour of the Jot Pro as I expected it to be. The hard tip's feel can get annoying too. Sort of disappointed that completely ignoring pressure sensitivity it still feels nothing like a wacom.
For the hand on screen thing I just use a glove with fingers cut out for better control with the stylus. Not all gloves work though, while in store I just tested a few out on my iPhone to make sure.

Does the Jot seem kind of insensitive for you, like you have to press down harder than you do with the Targus or else it skips? If so you might want to try complaining to Adonit to hopefully get some free replacement discs...and then if that's not enough (wasn't for me) use a little something in the disc to give a better connection. For something around the house, toothpaste works (heard about it and worked for me, may differ by types for all I know though), while ideally would be something specifically made to increase conductivity like conductive lube/paste. The material will spread a bit between the disc layers though so make sure to use only a tiny dab.

Blackhead

Redarse
They have their own wacky stylus patents! I'm just using Wacom as a general term for good stylus I guess. Otherwise they have suppliers for everything else in the iPad, I wouldn't rule it out entirely (...just mostly).

The accuracy is still depending on the capacitive input though. Are one of those external digitizer pen companies working on pressure sensitivity? (...not that it'd matter much since there's still the issue with needing explicit support for them).

Yes Cregle said that the v2 of their iPen will have pressure sensitivity. All the third party pens, Bluetooth or otherwise, requiring explicit support from the app developers.

alekth

For the hand on screen thing I just use a glove with fingers cut out for better control with the stylus. Not all gloves work though, while in store I just tested a few out on my iPhone to make sure.

Does the Jot seem kind of insensitive for you, like you have to press down harder than you do with the Targus or else it skips? If so you might want to try complaining to Adonit to hopefully get some free replacement discs...and then if that's not enough (wasn't for me) use a little something in the disc to give a better connection. For something around the house, toothpaste works (heard about it and worked for me, may differ by types for all I know though), while ideally would be something specifically made to increase conductivity like conductive lube/paste. The material will spread a bit between the disc layers though so make sure to use only a tiny dab.

Luckily for now the Jot seems to be responsive enough, though maybe it will deteriorate with usage. It hasn't seen that much usage yet really, because it makes me really paranoid about scratching the screen if something gets between the disc and the glass, and using microfibre every couple of minutes isn't a solution. But I also suck at applying screen protectors without leaving bubbles so I'm favouring the Targus.

But even without that... I just didn't like that hard (and sometimes noisy) feel. I gave it a couple of days because I remember having to get used to the harder than the Intuos Bamboo when I was on a trip, but the discomfort just didn't seem to go away with the iPad/Jot combo.

Ugh, kept telling myself it wasn't worth it but I broke down and swapped for a 32GB just now. Didn't want to not have the space if I ever needed it.

there goes 100 more bucks...

Tobor

Isn't that what Apple's review team is supposed to protect against? They couldn't see that TV English Premium was charging for access to channels that the app likely didn't have the rights to?

It's remarkable they do as well as they do considering the volume.

japtor

Luckily for now the Jot seems to be responsive enough, though maybe it will deteriorate with usage. It hasn't seen that much usage yet really, because it makes me really paranoid about scratching the screen if something gets between the disc and the glass, and using microfibre every couple of minutes isn't a solution. But I also suck at applying screen protectors without leaving bubbles so I'm favouring the Targus.

But even without that... I just didn't like that hard (and sometimes noisy) feel. I gave it a couple of days because I remember having to get used to the harder than the Intuos Bamboo when I was on a trip, but the discomfort just didn't seem to go away with the iPad/Jot combo.
Well you still have to worry about scratching with the Targus or any stylus too, just cause in all cases something can get caught and dragged underneath. But yeah if you can't get used to the noise I'm not sure there's any way around that.

Top Bottom