• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Fuck yeah, Clock Tower > Silent Hill and RE

clock_tower.jpg

194585-clock-tower-playstation-screenshot-library-2s.jpg

Tain

I don't mind the look of PS1 3D at all.

I'd also say that judging how 3D PS1 games look by looking at them on modern displays (without the inherent glow and scanlines SDTVs have that make low resolutions look so natural) is kinda foolish.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
And another to sub.

Whats the best way to play imports, because i've been using my PS2/PS3 to play PS1 games.

But I actually found a PSone for like 4 bucks. Havent tested it yet, but Panzer Bandit and Gunners Heaven both look pretty good. That and i'm sure Einhander is much cheaper imported.

Best way to play imports is either to import a PS2 (which is what I did) or mod a PS1 if you're able to solder. The PS1 wasn't that difficult to mod, thankfully. At least, not the one I did it on. Don't try to mod a PS2. It will not be a fun day.

I guess if you wanna be really old-school about it and you have an OG PS1 on-hand, you could buy a Game Enhancer and do the swap disc trick. But that's stupid.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
And another to sub.

Whats the best way to play imports, because i've been using my PS2/PS3 to play PS1 games.

But I actually found a PSone for like 4 bucks. Havent tested it yet, but Panzer Bandit and Gunners Heaven both look pretty good. That and i'm sure Einhander is much cheaper imported.
All the PS2 swap disc stuff seemed ghetto to me. Some of them required you to mod the case into a top loader... No thanks.

Nothing beats a mod chipped PS2. Ask on Craigslist. Many people were just filthy pirates and burned games, and now they don't care about the thing, so you can buy one of those pre-modded.

You could get a mod chipped PS1... But might as well kill two birds with one stone and play PS2 imports, right?

Oemenia

Banned
Anyone here feel that the good-looking 3D games of the PSone have held up better than the N64 games (not counting Expansion Pack titles).

The Banjo games were clean and sharp, something the PSone lacked but today with the aid of emulators Id rather take the extra detailed look. Some games such as Spyro were large and detailed and the Crash games look as good with no filtering.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I do wonder, what PS1 3D game holds up until now? Almost all the ones I've seen look like shit, especially FFVII and Jumping Flash.

meppi

A lot of my stuff is in storage for when I move later this year, which is why there aren't any WipEout game in here for instance, but these are some of my favourites for this little system.

I can't even begin to describe how many hours I've spent playing Power Diggerz and Ore no Ryouri alone!

Dereck

I do wonder, what PS1 3D game holds up until now? Almost all the ones I've seen look like shit, especially FFVII and Jumping Flash.
Have you seen Crash Bandicoot 1 lately? Absolutely impressive. I suggest you go play it and call me on it.

Danny Dudekisser

Anyone here feel that the good-looking 3D games of the PSone have held up better than the N64 games (not counting Expansion Pack titles).

The Banjo games were clean and sharp, something the PSone lacked but today with the aid of emulators Id rather take the extra detailed look. Some games such as Spyro were large and detailed and the Crash games look as good with no filtering.

Actually, one of the most appealing things about certain PS1 games like Metal Gear Solid was that the grungy graphics actually made the game feel more gritty in a way that games from the PS2 era-onward didn't. The N64 never really had that.

I wish there was a bigger selection of PS1 games on the European PSN so I could play them on my Vita. :/ It's mostly Disney games.

At least there's Castlevania SOTN.

EDIT: Oh and Crash and Spyro trilogies.

BocoDragon

Well damn. I hope it's the TV and not the console. I have an older Sony Bravia that doesn't like the composite inputs from my PSX either. I do notice the screen gets a bit darker then lighter on some games. I could probably do with a new TV and a CRT for older games. Probably get a Plasma this time around as well.

If it's the PS2, I might have to start searching for a replacement. Please oh please let it not be the console.
It's probably the TV, IMO.

Hey, you could always buy an XRGB mini Framemeister and make every old game look yummy ;)

I'm pimping that thing all over the place.

Or get a CRT.

Credo

PS1 is my favorite system of all time, alongside the SNES. It also has my favorite game, Brigandine, which is unfortunately expensive as this point. If you ever see it for cheap, be sure to pick it up. You can always sell it if you don't like it!

BocoDragon

I can't even begin to describe how many hours I've spent playing Power Diggerz and Ore no Ryouri alone!
Hey.. My girlfriend has that game! We were playing it recently. "Ramen wo tsukutta yo!!"

dokish

Banned
Any love for Koudelka? The atmosphere of this game was so awesome.

Plus, Parasite Eve is my favorite game of all time. Beat it countless times... That sewer boss... fuck that motherfucker.

Koudelka-ps1-cover-front-48505.jpg

Dereck

The pre-fight loading time in Chrono Cross is unbearable. It has unfortunately rendered that game unplayable for me.

As far as 3D games go Tobal 2 has aged the best. That is still a quality 3D fighter by today's standards. Second place goes to Mega Man Legends 2, a forward thinking game that offered dual stick controls.

I think, overall, Symphony of the Night truly is the console's best game.
If you like Tobal, then you like Erghiez right?

onQ123

Sony came from out of nowhere & kick the shit out of Nintendo & Sega. Sony changed console history with the PlayStation & I remember being the only kid in my class & maybe the whole school with a PlayStation when no one else even knew what it was then a few years later the floodgates opened & everyone in neighborhood had PlayStations & it wasn't the normal people that you would think of as video game lovers, the same way Wii brought in the old people & soccer moms PlayStation brought in the Teenagers\Young Adults & thugs / gangsters lol.

I should have never let my cousins see Madden 97 & Tekken.

Madden_NFL_97_Coverart.png

Tekken.jpg

Regarding disc based BC on PS3, IIRC

- Chrono Cross has some freezing problems
- Disc 4 of FFVIII may or may not boot up
- FFV is straight up unplayable (It also has a garbled save menu when played on a PS2)

I remember reading somewhere that the greatest hits version of FFVII runs better on PS3 while the black label release tends to lag/glitch out.

ePSXe is pretty great.

On the flip side some games straight up play better than on ps2 (though not as good as with ps1) case in point Dragon Warrior VII can freeze up after a boss on the ps2, but on PS3 is plays great.

Chrono Cross's issue have largely been resolved since they released the digital copy. Same with FFVIII. FFV's digital copy has the same garbled save screen but it can work. Since these games are direct rips of the most recent release (typically the greatest hits release) so there may be something to that black labels working not as well as greatest hits

Dereck

Probably not. Erghiez had two things going for it:

1) It's subtitle was GOD BLESS THE RING

2) It was "that Final Fantasy fighting game."

Otherwise, it was kind of a step back from Tobal 2.
I personally think the game is incredible, very good fight system with 2 player modes and a unique atmosphere combined with hilarious menu sound effects and multiple level stages.

BocoDragon

Any love for Koudelka? The atmosphere of this game was so awesome.

Plus, Parasite Eve is my favorite game of all time. Beat it countless times... That sewer boss... fuck that motherfucker.

Koudelka-ps1-cover-front-48505.jpg

Music from the dude who did Secret of Mana and SD3: Hiroki Kikuta.

Developers went on to make Shadow Hearts series.

That's all I know about it, though!

Oemenia

Banned
Actually, one of the most appealing things about certain PS1 games like Metal Gear Solid was that the grungy graphics actually made the game feel more gritty in a way that games from the PS2 era-onward didn't. The N64 never really had that.
It was still a very clean looking PSone game and today with the aid of emulators we get the best of both (that is if you configuring the texture filtering properly). The PS2 had the same issuew where there were a number of really good looking games on it that were really held back by the poor IQ.

I remember going from Tekken 5 on PS2 to PS3, it was a night-and-day difference.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
There is a fan translation! Rip, patch, burn.

Not the same as getting to play it back in the day, but you can play it now..

Hang on, you saying you can patch it into the game and it'll work fine? Interesting, although it will be another 6 months or so till I get my hands on my collection again. I shall remember this as I look at T2 fondly whenever I'm browsing my shelf for something to play.

Tobal 2 is one of the few 3D PS1 fighters that's still really fun today. It's pretty different. Sweet soundtrack, too.

Actually, Tobal 2 was the game that first got me into importing games. I was in fifth grade at the time and was amazed that there were all these games that existed in Japan that I'd never even heard of... and the whole "ZOMG 200 characters" thing in Tobal 2 was the coolest thing in the world at the time. I could never understand the RPG part of the game well enough to earn many of them, though :(

The 200 characters was a fantastic addition but like you I never unlocked many but the rpg mode was miles ahead of the first Tobal.

Actually, on the topic of T2, there was an article in an old OPSM (pre PS2 days of course) listing a handful of games that pushed the PSone to it's limits and had percentages of power used. Gran Turismo was at around 80% whereas T2 was nearer around 96%. A guy here on Gaf saw me mention it once before and reckoned he knew of the issue I was referring to and said he would try and find it to scan the article but I never heard back from him. A shame as it was an interesting read.

meppi

Hey.. My girlfriend has that game! We were playing it recently. "Ramen wo tsukutta yo!!"

:D

Without a doubt one of my favourite games ever! So much fun!
That's what I hate the most about this past gen. We rarely get such crazy games anymore.
Well, we get crazy games, but they don't always have the same level of gameplay like something like this.

BocoDragon

Sony came from out of nowhere & kick the shit out of Nintendo & Sega. Sony changed console history with the PlayStation & I remember being the only kid in my class & maybe the whole school with a PlayStation when no one else even knew what it was then a few years later the floodgates opened & everyone in neighborhood had PlayStations & it wasn't the normal people that you would think of as video game lovers, the same way Wii brought in the old people & soccer moms PlayStation brought in the TeenagersYoung Adults & thugs / gangsters lol.
So true. It really mainstreamed videogaming. Just as much as I remember all these gamers' games, I also remember parties with thug kids smoking weed and playing Cool Boarders or Tony Hawk. :p

Oemenia

Banned
So true. It really mainstreamed videogaming. Just as much as I remember all these gamers' games, I also remember parties with thug kids smoking weed and playing Cool Boarders or Tony Hawk. :p
One of the main reasons for its success were that it had so many mature games that gamers who grew up on the SNES and MD could play without being embarrassed. Many of the early games like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider sold gangbusters for that reason.

Danny Dudekisser

But see, the awesome thing is that it mainstreamed gaming without dumbing it down. Tony Hawk was pretty universally appealing, but it was great and really rewarded skill.

BocoDragon

:D

Without a doubt one of my favourite games ever! So much fun!
That's what I hate the most about this past gen. We rarely get such crazy games anymore.
Well, we get crazy games, but they don't always have the same level of gameplay like something like this.
That's exactly what I was saying to her when I was playing it. Games like this aren't made anymore.. Not by Sony on a home console, anyway.

To be fair, there are a lot of Japanese iOS games now which remind me of that style of game, but its just not the same, is it?

BocoDragon

But see, the awesome thing is that it mainstreamed gaming without dumbing it down. Tony Hawk was pretty universally appealing, but it was great and really rewarded skill.
The thing is that the new market they expanded to was mainstream teenagers and young adults looking for more than just Mario, knights or ninjas. The genres and themes were expanded, but they could still be hardcore video games.

But when Nintendo went after old people and housewives with Wii, then the games got a little dumb and super-easy. "Casual".

One of the main reasons for its success were that it had so many mature games that gamers who grew up on the SNES and MD could play without being embarrassed. Many of the early games like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider sold gangbusters for that reason.
Very true. The themes evolved so much.

The pre-fight loading time in Chrono Cross is unbearable. It has unfortunately rendered that game unplayable for me.

As far as 3D games go Tobal 2 has aged the best. That is still a quality 3D fighter by today's standards. Second place goes to Mega Man Legends 2, a forward thinking game that offered dual stick controls.

I think, overall, Symphony of the Night truly is the console's best game.

My man

BocoDragon

Hang on, you saying you can patch it into the game and it'll work fine? Interesting, although it will be another 6 months or so till I get my hands on my collection again. I shall remember this as I look at T2 fondly whenever I'm browsing my shelf for something to play..
Yeah. You'll need a modded PS1 or PS2, or run on an emulator or something, though.

There's also an excellent translation patch for Policenauts, too.

Teknoman

lol everyone was about Tony Hawk back in the day. Twisted Metal 2 as well.

meppi

That's exactly what I was saying to her when I was playing it. Games like this aren't made anymore.. Not by Sony on a home console, anyway.

To be fair, there are a lot of Japanese iOS games now which remind me of that style of game, but its just not the same, is it?

No sadly it is not...

You'd think that with all the indy stuff we're getting nowadays there would be plenty of games such as thing, but for some reason lots of them seem to play it rather safe.
And on IOS most of the games seem to try and mold themselves into the Angry Bird model where you have a whole set of levels and all it takes is to get 3 stars to move on to the next, removing most if not all the pleasure of possibly going for high scores.

Like I mentioned in my original post, Power Diggerz/ Power Shovel is another one of these games. Not as perfect as Ore no Ryouri, but even though it's a little rough around the edges, It's just so much fun.
And hey, you can serve people food in it as well! http://youtu.be/EPIXyZ2FcpM?t=33m20s ;P

BocoDragon

lol everyone was about Tony Hawk back in the day. Twisted Metal 2 as well.
Tony Hawk actually come out pretty late. There was pent up demand for a skater game. Some poor saps had to satisfy themselves with Street Sk8er ;P

onQ123

Need%20for%20Speed%20II%20%5BU%5D%20%5BSLUS-00276%5D-front.jpg

61WcGXH3DZL._SX300_.jpg

Need For Speed 2 was like a whole new world when it came to racing games

& I don't even know where V-Rally came from but it was amazing I don't know how I ended up with that game but I loved it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Yeah. You'll need a modded PS1 or PS2, or run on an emulator or something, though.

There's also an excellent translation patch for Policenauts, too.

I have a modded PS1 which I got done specifically because I started getting into imports so I am covered there. Thanks. :)

Borman

I got my hands on a prototype version of Malice (the game that would go on to be mediocre at best on the PS2/Xbox), and all I can say is wow. The game really could have been one of the showcases for the PS1, but it wasn't to be .

x9vBCVd.png

BocoDragon

I have a modded PS1 which I got done specifically because I started getting into imports so I am covered there. Thanks. :)
Nice.

Oh yeah I guess obviously you were playing import Tobal 2 anyway, so.. :p

sqwarlock

Not going to bore everyone with my sea of green label Squaresoft games; so instead I'll just post the only two non-GH games I own.

DjPMJFm.png

BocoDragon

Einhander is so awesome. I never played it in its day, beyond the demo, but even in 2007 it blew me away with music, setting and gameplay.

Along with Gradius V as one of the great "techno" shmups.

GQman2121

Banned
This is a fantastic FPS and holds up pretty well. I believe it was and still is exclusive to the PSX. Currently available on the SEN store and playable on Vita.

ranker4.jpg

This was probably the best super hero game up until the Arkham games this gen. It's excellent from beginning to end.

1-a56dffspidermancover.jpg

I also think the first two Syphon Filter games are brilliant. Those stealth levels were pretty intense back then and added something special to an admittedly combat heavy experience. Loved the weapon variety and feel of the kills too.

syphon_filter_cover.jpg
cover.png

Top Bottom