• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When someone calls you "boss" or "chief"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipper145

I use them sometimes. Mostly as a joke though to bug the person. Like if I'm doing something and someone tells me to do something obvious I'm like 'yeah thanks chief/boss'. I use champ too sometimes.

I only use them when it fits the situation. I don't go around calling everyone I know chief.

I don't really mind, provided their tone is neutral or joking.

What I don't like is when men call me "darlin" or "sweetheart".

That's condescending.

wvpeti.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
WanderingWind said:
...Christ. Manlaw would require I curbstomp you for some wannabe-Gary Busey shit like this.

It doesn't even sound good out loud, either.

I have no idea what this even means. So yeah. Try again boss.

Arment

BladeWorker said:
I don't really mind, provided their tone is neutral or joking.

What I don't like is when men call me "darlin" or "sweetheart".

That's condescending.

That has never happened to me before. I don't know how I would even react to that shit.

missbreedsiddx said:

How do you not know what he said means? It's pretty basic.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
missbreedsiddx said:

GRRR I SAY I FUCK YOUR WIFE AND THREATEN YOUR OFFSPRING BECAUSE I ANGER AT YOUR COLLOQUIALISM THAT I DO NOT SHARE. RAGEEEEEEE!!!!

siddx

WanderingWind said:
GRRR I SAY I FUCK YOUR WIFE AND THREATEN YOUR OFFSPRING BECAUSE I ANGER AT YOUR COLLOQUIALISM THAT I DO NOT SHARE. RAGEEEEEEE!!!!

Gary Busey? What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? Are you just trying to be more clever than your hipster douchebag ass actually is?
Nevermind the fact that i'd have to really dislike you to ever make a a comment like the one I wrote (as I said) your internet tough guy response was just as idiotic.

WanderingWind

missbreedsiddx said:
Gary Busey? What the fuck is even supposed to mean? Are you just trying to be more clever than your hipster douchebag ass actually is?
Nevermind the fact that i'd have to really dislike you to ever make a a comment like the one I wrote (as I said) your internet tough guy response was just as idiotic.

"Hipster?" Are you just trying to pull out random insults in the hopes that one sticks, or what? I'm about as much of a hipster as a hermaphrodite penguin jockey. Which is to say, not in the least.

Plus...isn't hipster more of a look? Like, can you insult somebody by calling them oddly attired without seeing them? I'm very confused on this point.

also, acting tough? that was my point, sparky. Kinda stupid sounding over the internet...isn't it?

kid ness

Usually I get this from a guy at a pizza place or a deli of sorts.
It's a friendly association, I guess. Now that I think about it, I've always kind of liked it.

siddx

WanderingWind said:
"Hipster?" Are you just trying to pull out random insults in the hopes that one sticks, or what? I'm about as much of a hipster as a hermaphrodite penguin jockey. Which is to say, not in the least.

Plus...isn't hipster more of a look? Like, can you insult somebody by calling them oddly attired without seeing them? I'm very confused on this point.

also, acting tough? that was my point, sparky. Kinda stupid sounding over the internet...isn't it?

Ignoring the fact that my original statement was so absurdly out there that anyone who heard it would be just as likely to laugh as to feel threatened (which was the point), it was also not directed at anyone in general, it was just an absurd and violent statement made to such a degree that it's damn near dark humor. Also ignoring the fact that once again, you'd have to be someone i intensely disliked to ever make that kind of statement (as mentioned), your comment on the other hand, was a violent threat made directly at me. That sounds far more like internet tough guy bullshit to me. Especially since you have no intent on ever following through with your threat. You hermaphrodite penguin jockey.

WanderingWind

missbreedsiddx said:
Ignoring the fact that my original statement was so absurdly out there that anyone who heard it would be just as likely to laugh as to feel threatened (which was the point), it was also not directed at anyone in general, it was just an absurd and violent statement made to such a degree that it's damn near dark humor. Also ignoring the fact that once again, you'd have to be someone i intensely disliked to ever make that kind of statement (as mentioned), your comment on the other hand, was a violent threat made directly at me. That sounds far more like internet tough guy bullshit to me. Especially since you have no intent on ever following through with your threat. You hermaphrodite penguin jockey.

I'm sure you think it's funny to threaten to hurt somebody's kids...just be aware that not everybody would agree with that. Especially the people you dislike enough to throw out that little "gem."

You hipster douchebag.

siddx

WanderingWind said:
I'm sure you think it's funny to threaten to hurt somebody's kids...just be aware that not everybody would agree with that. Especially the people you dislike enough to throw out that little "gem."

You hipster douchebag.

Which would kind of be the point wouldn't it? If I didn't like them I'd want them to be offended and pissed off.

Ridli

As far as I'm concerned, all those things mean the same thing. You're not important enough for me to remember your name. I dislike them.

Biff

dojokun said:
Maybe if they call you "Boss",
it means they've been your primary care physician for the past two years and you don't even remember it.

movie--shutter%20island.jpg
Did you just fucking ruin Shutter Island for me?

Fuck you, buddy.

JDSN

Banned
Fusebox said:
A word as innocuous as 'boss' really needs intent to become an insult, unless you're some super-sensitive irrational special kid.
This is the board where some people get annoyed that other people tell them "Bless you" after they sneeze, think about that for a second.

Dead Man

dojokun said:
Maybe if they call you "Boss",
it means they've been your primary care physician for the past two years and you don't even remember it.

movie--shutter%20island.jpg
I appreciate that you spoiler tagged that... but don't use spoilers as a punchline in an unrelated thread!!! At least say what the movie is and that there are really spoilers in there.

FUCK!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
DataStream said:
My AU friends like to call people "champion".

I think its quite a complement.

Champ is used a bit, but it depends........... they might think your a champion wanker or something but leave out the end.

If people call you Boss or whatever call them something awkward back...... like love, darl, son, padwan.

In the East Midlands (England) some people call each other 'duck', for example: "Ey up mi duck". Thanks to globalisation that stuff is dying out but then again my mother and grand mother never said it...

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
If people call you Boss or whatever call them something awkward back...... like love, darl, son, padwan.

I call them "pancakes". They usually pause and try and figure out exactly if it was meant as an insult or what the hell the implication is.

Many years ago this middle-aged woman at my work called me "honey" "sugar" and "baby" roughly 100 times in about 4 minutes. It doesn't usually bother me but every clause was punctuated with it, I wanted to start calling her "sugartits" or something equally offensive by the end but I would probably have been fired if I had :(

Edit: Clarify that "equally offensive" refers to sugartits, not honey/sugar/baby. Should have been obvious from syntax.

Aquavelvaman said:
Many years ago this middle-aged woman at my work called me "honey" "sugar" and "baby" roughly 100 times in about 4 minutes. It doesn't usually bother me but every clause was punctuated with it, I wanted to start calling her "sugartits" or something equally offensive by the end but I would probably have been fired if I had :(

How were you offended by honey, sugar or baby??? Someone equally "offensive" would have been to call her "momma", "dear" or 'darlin".

Dead Man

Aquavelvaman said:
Equally offensive?! :lol :lol :lol

Aquavelvaman said:
Because I'm not 10 and she's not my grandma.

I mean offensive as in "it pissed me off" not as in "racial slur"

Do you get mad when women call you 'sweetheart' as well?

"What did you call me??! I'm not your fucking boyfriend or husband bitch!!"

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ GAF has some sensitive fuckers. I mean holy fuck.

Fusebox

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
"Boss" and "Chief" are in a totally different category than Champ, Tiger, and Sport.

Because I grew up in country Australia I'm desensitised to all those terms. Also love, pet, sweety, digger, aussie, darl, mate and sunshine.

AVclub

When phone support calls you 'sir' after they've already taken down your real name, it's code for "asshole." As in, "Sorry sir, there's nothing else I can do for you sir. If you refuse to plug in your PC it will not turn on again, sir."

Jayzus

Banned
ChefRamsay said:
Did you just fucking ruin Shutter Island for me?

Fuck you, buddy.

Spoiler tags are important but in this case he probably saved you 138 minutes of boredom. That movie was an exercise in fitful sleep. :/

In other news: "Hey homo" really gets to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom