• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV character designer Roberto Ferrari comments on his creations on Facebook

B-b-but Cindy is as bad as Quiet! Or just slightly less bad!

7583c90eacd71cd7eed57420ac5843d0.gif
Isn't there a seen where Quiet is rolling around in the rain like a stripper?

Why is he credited constantly on the game as rhe character designer then? I don't get it, specially after everything we've learned today...

Marketing. Same reason they constantly promoting Yoko Shimomura as THE composer of the game even though she wasn't the only composer on the game (the other names aren't as well-known names).

Something i really don't get, is why Nomura presented the trailer for FFXV in 2013 when he wasn't part anymore and the characters were already redesigned... and they probably knew they weren't doing the invasion playable.

I would really buy an artbook with all the material they created for this game/ with details on production of this mess because it's so interesting.

LordKasual

Banned
B-b-but Cindy is as bad as Quiet! Or just slightly less bad!

7583c90eacd71cd7eed57420ac5843d0.gif

The comparison is ridiculous.

The funny thing about the brand of hyperbole around these XV threads is that it isn't even hyperbole because people literally believe the things they type.

Asd202

Something i really don't get, is why Nomura presented the trailer for FFXV in 2013 when he wasn't part anymore and the characters were already redesigned... and they probably knew they weren't doing the invasion playable.

I would really buy an artbook with all the material they created for this game/ with details on production of this mess because it's so interesting.

Back in 2013 when the game was shown at E3 Nomura was still the main director.

Ishida

Banned
The comparison is ridiculous.

The funny thing about the brand of hyperbole around these XV threads is that it isn't even hyperbole because people literally believe the things they type.

Agreed. I always feel like I've stepped into an alternate reality or something.

Ray Down

Banned

He was still on the team in 2013, he was moved in December. Stuff was seemigly changing even when he was there if I'm reading this right.

Ydelnae

lol @ "I would like to know how you got access to this previously unreleased material"

Wait a minute. Doesn't this basically confirm the recent leaks!? oO Way too random not to be from an actual insider.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1323493

I'm talking about these. The alleged employee came back and stated that Umbra (along with Cor, Aranea and Iris) were permanent party members in Nomura's game. Umbra being able to change forms while fighting like Link in Twilight Princess would have been an amazing mechanic if this is true.

I know, hence what I said. I doubt they just gave Roen the characters and said "Dress'em however you want", someone from S-E must have approved. Was it Nomura? Who knows, but it doesn't seem a stretch to me.

You're right. ROEN initially gave Stella a black dress and black shoes, but Nomura told them she needed to wear white to contrast with the 4 bros.

mollipen

You could also get away with simpler character designs in the old days because of graphical limitations. Many great characters of old have very simple outfits and remain just as iconic then as now. Because of our graphics now, designers have to get ultra realistic or overly dramatized in their work for it to be consider 'acceptable'. That's why we have designs like Quiet, Cidney, and Two Worlds boob ladies.

Well, but I love both Quiet and Cidney design-wise, so. *lol* And I'd argue that FFVI designs were super complex, even if they couldn't be represented as such in-game.

Asd202

lol @ "I would like to know how you got access to this previously unreleased material"

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1323493

I'm talking about these. The alleged employee came back and stated that Umbra (along with Cor, Aranea and Iris) were permanent party members in Nomura's game. Umbra being able to change forms while fighting like Link in Twilight Princess would have been an amazing mechanic if this is true.

I wonder if they'll add Umbra to the party in XV at some point. They did say that there going to add characters in the long term. Damn I hope we will hear more about XV upcoming DLC plan on 31st.

He was still on the team in 2013, he was moved in December. Stuff was seemigly changing even when he was there if I'm reading this right.

But then we can say Stella's replacement was under his charge?! Because the 2013 female character was Luna indisputably.

I know the trailer is just Visual works' shenanigans but how much of a mess they had then...

Koozek

Oh what recent leaks?

There was one where they stated Gentiana was supposed to be more samurai-ish.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/74675878

Wouldn't be surprised if this was accurate at one point but not anymore considering they rewrote the game every 3 months and probably even more frequently afterwards.

lol wow seriously wtf
No, I don't mean these. Never saw these before. I mean those from the "FFXV development troubles/Rumored Versus plot leaked" a week or so after release. They mentioned Umbra originally being a human that joined the cast. This coming from Ferrari is really giving that leak some legitimately, damn. It all sounded so plausible too. Especially of you beat the game and saw the "seams" at all the parts where stuff was apparently cut according to leak. Read them if you finished the game, they're super interesting!

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1323493&page=1

Oh, noticed this just now:
[On Tabata]:

I liked him and he's an excellent professional. He gets job done at very difficult circustamnces. The engine didn't adapt well to consoles and had limitations. I'm proud to have worked on the game but I think the company should have given it more development time. I don't know about FF16. There were a lot of designs and concepts scrapped, some of them by Ferrari, yeah.

Oh, and on a possible Cidney redesign (End-game spoilers!):
The end part of the game was supposed to be bigger. I know for a fact that dark world Lestallum was finished. Old Iris was also featured in some scenes. Cindy too (and I also recall them not wanting to change the Cindy design even though it was problematic because her older design implied character development).

Asd202

But then we can say Stella's replacement was under his charge?! Because the 2013 female character was Luna indisputably.

I know the trailer is just Visual works' shenanigans but how much of a mess they had then...

Stella was still Stella then. They only changed her look. Nomura said he did it to make her more pretty lol.

Ray Down

Banned
I wonder if they'll add Umbra to the party in XV at some point. They did say that there going to add characters in the long term. Damn I hope we will hear more about XV upcoming DLC plan on 31st.
I assume we will, would be weird we we don't get some DLC/patch timeline.

Guys, guys

Umbra is Latin for "shadow".

Tabata is a huge fan of FFVI.

Umbra was basically Shadow AND Shadow's dog Interceptor merged into one character.

QXxfQdxl.jpg

Tabata is a genius!

Ydelnae

The female character that appeared in 2013's trailer, both running as a child and then as a portrait, was Stella. VA for Stella had finally been decided back then and Nomura talked about the character in interviews post E3.

Dark_castle

So an attractive girl with a skirt/shorts and heels will suck your dick? What are you even trying to say? It's not like Cindy goes around the game sucking dicks. She fixes and customizes your car.
What I was saying is if Cidney is competent in what she's doing, I don't see the need for her to flaunt her sexual characteristic at all. Sucking dick was just an analogy.

Ray Down

Banned
Guys, guys

Umbra is Latin for "shadow".

Tabata is a huge fan of FFVI.

Umbra was basically Shadow AND Shadow's dog Interceptor merged into one character.

Tabata is a genius!

Naora also did the Terra like art for New Years 2015, maybe Tabata and co are remaking 6 :p

Stella was still Stella then. They only changed her look. Nomura said he did it to make her more pretty lol.

The female character that appeared in 2013's trailer, both running as a child and then as a portrait, was Stella. VA for Stella had finally been decided back then and Nomura talked about the character in interviews post E3.

Oh ok ok, didn't know that or maybe i forgot. Thanks guys, this stuff just keeps getting better.

Ishida

Banned
What I was saying is if Cidney is competent in what she's doing, I don't see the need for her to flaunt her sexual characteristic at all. Sucking dick was just an analogy.

If Tifa is efficient on what she's doing, why wear such an outfit?

Fan service. That's why.

LordKasual

Banned

But what if shes competent in what she's doing (she is) and just...wants to flaunt her sexual characteristics?

I never see people bring this up. Maybe Cindy is just executing a brilliant marketing plan that nobody on Eos thought of yet.

But it's just super meta because it works on the player too lol

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Seems like the story went in all sorts of directions after the change from Versus to XV. Changing the entire concept will do that i guess, but i'd really love to see an autopsy of the history of this project from start to finish.

But i'm wondering when Ferrari left the project. Before long before Kingsglaive, but after the change to 15. Perhaps when Nomura and Nojima and the rest left?

Koozek

I doubt this is true.
Wasn't talking about that GameFAQs "leak", which sounds like bullshit. The one from the GAF thread from my post above sounds absolutely plausible and not too far off. And now that Ferrari mentioned the Umbra thing the leak sounds even more credible for mentioning the random fact of Umbra originally being a party member in human form.

Setsu00

Seems like the story went in all sorts of directions after the change from Versus to XV. Changing the entire concept will do that i guess, but i'd really love to see an autopsy of the history of this project from start to finish.

But i'm wondering when Ferrari left the project. Before long before Kingsglaive, but after the change to 15. Perhaps when Nomura and Nojima and the rest left?

He outright said that he left together with Nomura.

Gbraga

2013 trailer doesn't show a playable invasion, though. They only talk about it.

They were being intentionally vague, I'm assuming.

He's not wearing a trash bag anymore?

That wasn't the case anymore since 2011.

Back in 2013 when the game was shown at E3 Nomura was still the main director.

That's what they said, but both the 4chan leak who got the plot right and now what Ferrari is saying indicate otherwise.

If Tabata and team joined in 2012, and in 2013 they were rewriting it every 3 months, this supports what the leaker said about Tabata already being in charge and changing things at that time, and the trailer was directed by Nomura based on his vision just to keep the hype and tell people that Versus is still alive.

Ferrari also said he left in 2013 with Nomura. The same year they still didn't have a story. Definitely supports the leak.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Most of us liked Cidney well enough. People who either really like something or really dislike something are going to be more vocal about it.

Aranea's design was amazing. Favourite FF character for sure, more than Tifa or Dagger.

Shame the whole scenario with Umbra was dropped. The way he was presented in game I figured he wasn't really a being that ever existed, ala
Gentiana herself.

Spoilers just in case though I think that cat is out of the bag in this thread, looking above...

Ydelnae

This sounds shitty, to be honest. Even fragmented, FFXV story seems miles better.

I just read the spoilers and they are fake, since it says that the ring didn't exist until 2014, but Nomura commented on the ring and it being a "special accessory that granted Noctis some kind of power" in a little interview he did in 2009. The ring of Lucis was already a part of Versus, possibly not as the same ring we see in XV, but it existed back then.

Ydelnae

Unless Delaney want to surf 4 chan and see :p

I don't know how to browse 4chan (found the original q&a thread by pure luck trying to re-read the one posted 6 months ago), I usually just google if there has been anything of interest involving the game.

As far as I know, the alleged employee (OfLucii) only made two threads and the second one was shorter, and he didn't answer as many questions.

Top Bottom