• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

xbhaskarx

impressive ratings for the first game of the group stage...
USA-Honduras CONCACAF Gold Cup match on @FOXSports1 averages 986,000 viewers. That’s the most-watched men’s soccer game on the network.
also:
But wait, there's more for USA-Honduras Gold Cup:
UniMás: 1.9M
Fox Sports 1: 986,000
Univision Deportes: 766,000

Sponsorship usually means you get something in return. Why do jersey sponsors insist on having their company logos on the jersey?
Plenty of other parade sponsors have had floats, why shouldn't MLS have floats for their NY area teams in a NY parade? NWSL and their NY area team Sky Blue FC will also have floats.

Yeah, after rethinking it, you're right. It makes sense. It's a parade for a soccer team taking place in New York City. The teams in the area and the leagues should put themselves out there. Plus, without other representation, it'd be a short parade.

More money invested in teams to make signings isn't a bad thing though

Not saying it's a bad thing. I imagine in ten years time, it'll be at least 500K per year. Definitely steps in the right direction.

Just pointing out that MLS creates these rules but the details often still end up being very murky and the MLS has no problem with ignoring or creating new rules to acquire players.

The first 10-15 years people put up with it because everyone was afraid the league would suddenly find itself suddenly at death's doorstep with one wrong move. But now that it's clear the MLS is here to stay for the long haul, I just hope there's more transparency and less circumventing the rules to acquire players. If the current league constructs make it difficult/impossible to acquire marquee players, then maybe actually fix/update the rules instead of temporarily ignoring certain rules, which often give foreign players cushy salaries while still leaving domestic players with barely above minimum wage [/rant]

xbhaskarx

I just hope there's more transparency and less circumventing the rules to acquire players.

Who is circumventing the rules to acquire players? Creating new rules to acquire players means rules are not being circumvented. And such changes are not exactly made unilaterally by either Garber and the league or certain big-spending teams like LA / NYC / Toronto, despite what certain fans seem to believe.

often give foreign players cushy salaries while still leaving domestic players with barely above minimum wage [/rant]

Didn't the minimum salary just pretty much double, under the new CBA? We're still complaining about this?

Not sure what certain domestic players like Okugo are even complaining about when it comes to the salary disparity between them and the Pirlos... Okugo doesn't even start for Orlando anymore, maybe he should be concerned with reestablishing himself as a starter in MLS instead of whining on Twitter about what star players are making? Otherwise he could one day find himself in NASL or USL making even less money.
People will pay money to go see Gio Dos Santos and Pirlo, no one besides the Okugo family is paying money to see Okugo be an occasional late game sub for the final three minutes. If he doesn't appreciate his paycheck, he can always go to Norway.

Who is circumventing the rules to acquire players? Creating new rules to acquire players means rules are not being circumvented. And such changes are not exactly made unilaterally by either Garber and the league or certain big-spending teams like LA / NYC / Toronto, despite what certain fans seem to believe.

As stated, I'm fine with new rules being created. It's just I'm hearing rumblings that the MLS will do anything to get Dos Santos on Galaxy. Omar is the primary stumbling block because he's taking a DP spot. The problem is even with this new rule, LA still can't acquire Dos Santos legit unless Omar takes a pay cut...or if LA can fleece the smaller markets of their Targeted Allocation Money. I'm just curious how the whole thing will play out.

Didn't the minimum salary just pretty much double, under the new CBA? We're still complaining about this?

True. What is the veteran's minimum now? 76k?

And you have no argument from me on your other points. I guess I just hope we get more transparency. We'll get more respect as a sport and league if the MLS doesn't look like a little treehouse with rules that a lot of people struggle to follow and understand.

xbhaskarx

NY Times:

CJjP5_LWoAAO0RO.jpg:large

stream (it will also be on Fox Sports 1 and ESPN3)

ZZMitch

To be fair, most of the major US leagues have pretty complicated rules. I have never really wrapped my head around things like Luxury Tax and stuff in the NBA for example.

Also, ActStriker you gunna be at the USMNT game tonight right? Heading down to Mass now! Meeting family for lunch and stuff first. Gunna check out the HONvPAN game too.

Osorio

So we released Dane Richards this morning.

The rumor is that we opened up an international slot to bring in Sean Wright-Phillips

ZZMitch

ZZMitch I'm in lot 20 on the south side of the stadium by pole 2023

Hey thanks for the info! We actually just arrived at our hotel though (was having lunch with family who live in Franklin) so we probably won't get there until right before the start of the first game.

Looking like a pretty good crowd?

Hey thanks for the info! We actually just arrived at our hotel though (was having lunch with family who live in Franklin) so we probably won't get there until right before the start of the first game.

Looking like a pretty good crowd?

Our lot is filling up yeah. Surrounded by s lot of Hondurans and Panamanians

xbhaskarx

Arizona native Josh Doughty completes transfer to Manchester United

Another Arizona native has joined a historic English club, as midfielder/forward Josh Doughty (Sandra Day O’Connor HS) has completed his transfer to Manchester United.

Doughty is the second Arizona native to make the move across the pond this month. According to reports, Brooks Lennon (Brophy) is on the verge of signing with Liverpool.

Doughty will suit up for the Manchester United U-21 Barclays Premier League this upcoming season.

#USMNT Starting XI vs. Haiti (4-3-1-2): Guzan; Evans, Gonzalez, Ream, Garza; Zusi, Bradley, Diskerud; Dempsey; Johannsson, Altidore #USAvHAI

Mory Dunz

CJlweb_UMAI7QtH.png

Interesting.

Why no Bedoya though? Or Yedlin....he wasn't as bad as others last game.

Glad no Chandler I guess....but Haiti can burn Evans.

xbhaskarx

bombshell

Sources have confirmed to Goal USA that Freddy Adu is set to sign with NASL side Tampa Bay Rowdies.

Sources have confirmed to Goal USA that Adu is set to sign with the Tampa Bay Rowdies of the North American Soccer League after weighing offers from multiple NASL teams. He is expected to complete his signing this weekend.

Sources close to Adu confirmed he will join the Rowdies and be reunited with head coach Thomas Rongen, who coached him with the U.S. Under-20 national team at the 2007 Under-20 World Cup, where Adu starred for the Americans.

MetroGAF, got tickets to the game tomorrow night. Section 130. What gate do I enter RBA from? The schematic on the ticket is a blurry mess.

Just curious if anyone knows off the top of their head.

xbhaskarx

The first half was pretty terrible, and beating Haiti by one goal is nothing to be proud of... at least Klinsmann made good substitutions.

Top Bottom