• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Midnight launch went poorly. Best Buy got swarmed and the cops were called in. All copies of the game were sold to one guy who dumped them in his fire pit.

Sorry guys. No impressions. :(

Guys! Guys! It's only 5 am in Maryland (Susan's home state). This game will not launch before noon.

Susan needs to dress up as a troll for the launch party first, so they will use the morning for that and it involves applying A LOT of make up. Well, not really (just some eyeliner will do), but anyway... give it at least 7 more hours.

Rouse

I have been following this story since Gaf started on it, it blows my mind that this women has the audacity to lie through her daughter for her own gains, and that people are stupid enough to fall for it!

However....

What bugs me the most though is her fecking twitter picture, what a mule! Surely with that 25k she has robbed she could have got a professional picture taken.... Christ a picture of a turd would be better than what she has on there!

Maybe the troll in 'Truth and Trolls' is actually Susan....!!!

Update! :) The game is going to be "cut into 15 minute chunks". :)

(more on the link)

Susan Wilson said:
TODAY is the FIRST big release day but the truth is there will be a number of big days. One thing we all learned after a few frustrating weeks is that it’s not just difficult for a 9 year old to create, commit and execute a story line and long-term plan (with long-term being anything beyond 2 weeks), it’s mentally and physically impossible!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...g-an-rpg-to-prove-her-brothers-w/posts/555204

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Susan Wilson said:
One thing we all learned after a few frustrating weeks is that it’s not just difficult for a 9 year old to create, commit and execute a story line and long-term plan (with long-term being anything beyond 2 weeks), it’s mentally and physically impossible!

So, her brothers were right afterall.

Vaco6121

(more on the link)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...g-an-rpg-to-prove-her-brothers-w/posts/555204

Been too long since I last visited this thread. Glad to see you guys are still watching what is going on with this. I'm not surprise at all by this update, but I'm surprised that Susan is actually going to release something; figured that she would of taken the money and ran when the kickstarter ended.

Shaneus

(more on the link)

Hey, it's just like the Double Fine Kickstarter!

Edit: Holy shit, this is amazing:
So while Kickstarter doesn't allow charity or donations, in lieu of established gaming and design shops, we chose to use the money in a way that would have a far reaching impact and directly change a few people's lives including some well-deserving kids because, after all this is a 9 year old's game.

Though I'd love to scream their names from the rooftop, the team prefers anonymity at this point given the original backlash.
The audacity. Really.

mclem

I don't necessarily want to get rid of crowd funding as such. In a lot of cases it can be really awesome. But services like Kickstarter should maintain stricter policies as to what is allowed and what isn't. They have a lot of experience by now in this matter, so they should be perfectly capable of filtering out non projects such as this one. Sadly enough, it seems the money is too good for them to simply say 'no' to the Susans of this world.

I'm comfortable with the idea of - if you'll pardon the pun - 'caveat fundor'. Let the funder beware. I'm satisfied with the idea that there's a responsibility on the part of the funders to perform reasonable due diligence and only donate based on what they deem reasonable based on that.

I'd rather that than have KS make the call for me. I'm a big boy, I can make these decisions, and I'm happy to take responsibility for them.

Shaneus

Claim that you are in hold of the domain "fundher.com" and aks if she is interested in buying it. xD
For shits and giggles, I went to that address and noticed something about being able to find the techniques Suscam used... and I got this:
nACo4p6.png

Shifty as hell.

I'm comfortable with the idea of - if you'll pardon the pun - 'caveat fundor'. Let the funder beware. I'm satisfied with the idea that there's a responsibility on the part of the funders to perform reasonable due diligence and only donate based on what they deem reasonable based on that.

I'd rather that than have KS make the call for me. I'm a big boy, I can make these decisions, and I'm happy to take responsibility for them.

You can make these decisions, sure, but only based on what the project creator is willing to feed you. Typically Kickstarter are better informed on them than the backers.

So they could either provide more info if necessary, or provide backers with a risk assessment of their own, based on their experience with similar projects. This will work to the advantage of benevolent project creators too, because they will get kind of a "trusted" label, and shady project creators won't be encouraged. Kickstarter could still add in their Terms that their assessment is only for use at your own risk and stuff, so that they don't officially endorse the projects.

Secondly, Kickstarter could also be more supportive towards project creators concerning what is feasible and what is not, according to their experience. So that you don't get stuff like this after several months:

Susan Wilson said:
One thing we all learned after a few frustrating weeks is that it’s not just difficult for a 9 year old to create, commit and execute a story line and long-term plan (with long-term being anything beyond 2 weeks), it’s mentally and physically impossible!

And finally, you make your decision at a certain point in time, and many people just don't look back after making that commitment. Susan Wilson has changed her "pitch" several times during the project. So after a while you're just not getting anymore what you've committed for. Kickstart could also monitor this more strictly.

Azih

The few frustrating weeks comment gets to me. The Wilson household must NOT have been a fun place with Susan screaming at Kenzie and/or the hired help and the MIT game lab guys to get the damn game done. 9 year old with a long term plan? Nuts.

mclem

You can make these decisions, sure, but only based on what the project creator is willing to feed you.
And if the information is inadequate, I won't pledge, or will at least vastly reduce the amount of risk I'm willing to stake on the project.

Typically Kickstarter are better informed on them than the backers.

So they could either provide more info if necessary, or provide backers with a risk assessment of their own, based on their experience with similar projects. This will work to the advantage of benevolent project creators too, because they will get kind of a "trusted" label, and shady project creators won't be encouraged. Kickstarter could still add in their Terms that their assessment is only for use at your own risk and stuff, so that they don't officially endorse the projects.

Secondly, Kickstarter could also be more supportive towards project creators concerning what is feasible and what is not, according to their experience. So that you don't get stuff like this after several months:

I don't really have faith in "Kickstarter's experience". There's a massive range of projects on there, and expecting them to be able to make realistic assessments of each one of them doesn't seem to be realistic. I know a little about what's realistically possible when developing a video game, I wouldn't have a clue about the costs involved in, say, shooting a stop-motion film. You argue that they could compare it to the success of similar projects, but that requires the massive infrastructure to track and research projects that are completed and make educated assessments on whether they're successful or not (and in art cases, that's going to be wholly subjective, of course)

And finally, you make your decision at a certain point in time, and many people just don't look back after making that commitment. Susan Wilson has changed her "pitch" several times during the project. So after a while you're just not getting anymore what you've committed for. Kickstart could also monitor this more strictly.

I broadly agree - although I'm under the impression that the tiers were immovable once established: You can add to them, and modify unpledged ones, but once you've

It's worth bearing in mind that the tiers are all you're actually entitled to; the KS runner is *not* obligated to complete the Kickstarter project, only to meet the rewards. In the case of VG kickstarters, that generally includes the game, of course, but in the case of more varied KSes (including for projects intended to be released for free) - if the project is *not* completed but you still recieve your rewards, you are not entitled to press it legally. IANAL, of course, but I believe that's the precise terms they work to.

And if the information is inadequate, I won't pledge, or will at least vastly reduce the amount of risk I'm willing to stake on the project.

But when is information inadequate? You seem like an intelligible person to me, so I trust that you could assess this project fairly well with only a minimal amount of information. But there were backers of this project on KS who bluntly stated they didn't care whether the money would go to Kenzie's college fund or actually to the game. So are they even aware of what they're getting into at all?

Also a lot of people just seemed to be charmed by this 9 year old trying something new, yet they didn't have the slightest clue about what is required to succesfully finish the development of a game. Susan Wilson portrayed it like it was the simplest of feats, even though she didn't have a clue about it herself, as we can see now. I know, "people and their money..." But still, it bothers me that KS just shuts up, takes their share and let this go through even though they have ran tens of gaming related projects now.

I don't really have faith in "Kickstarter's experience". There's a massive range of projects on there, and expecting them to be able to make realistic assessments of each one of them doesn't seem to be realistic. I know a little about what's realistically possible when developing a video game, I wouldn't have a clue about the costs involved in, say, shooting a stop-motion film. You argue that they could compare it to the success of similar projects, but that requires the massive infrastructure to track and research projects that are completed and make educated assessments on whether they're successful or not (and in art cases, that's going to be wholly subjective, of course)

Yeah, this would require a huge investment on their part obviously, and is probably not feasible. But anyway, this was a pretty obvious case, I think. It was clear from the start that this non project did not need any money. It even went against KS guidelines, at least until they changed them. Instead of stopping it, they actually endorsed it officially.

tafer

Just as expected, but in a certain way... even worse. This woman really knows no limits.
Oh and the title for the OT was absolutely brilliant.

malfcn

STATUS 8/1/13:

Missed 7/31 release because of not listening to Philip Tan at MIT (@djphiliptan). NEWBIE LESSON #1: Lock down & release the game (even 1.0) when it's ready or you'll be tempted to make it better. I feel horrible but thanks to the backer who said missing my deadline is a sure sign I'm a real indie game developer. LOL!

Priceless.

inm8num2

Susan must be so proud - she has two active threads on GAF about her.

We're her biggest fans. Where else do I get my daily dose of entertainment and disgust at human greed and dishonesty?

Kinyou

I always imagine Susan working through nights on that stupid game while Kenzie sits in her room not wanting to have anything to do with this shit.

oh wow. I really need to start some BS project on Kickstarter.

But I'm filthy european scum, so that'll never happen anyway. I know, it saddens me greatly too.

also, I'm not a sociopath

this woman. Damn.

Why'd you have to remind me about this shit dude :(

Last I heard, the RPGMaker version was cancelled or something? And they were bringing on someone to teach the "daughter" unity or some nonsense.

After reading /u/Elessartelrunya thread about his Kickstarter Nightmare (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759617) it got me thinking about this project.

Was this game ever released? If so, how did it come out?

Well GAF did have an OT for it!

Here's all you need to know about the Chapter 1 release (which was 4 months late)

there's a bug in the game so it was like a total of 5 minutes. 10 minutes if you read real slow.

This is how rich people get rich, it isn't "hard work" or that other pulling yourself up nonsense, it is taking advantage of situations and people and not feeling bad about it.

Top Bottom