• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hello everyone. My name is MarkMan and I love arcade sticks. This is the second official thread for arcade sticks on NeoGAF. You can view the original thread in all it's awesomeness here:

I will reserve the first two posts of this thread for incoming links/resources to all things arcade sticks.

This thread will serve as a resource, point of discussion and a friendly place to chat about arcade sticks.

LINKS: COMING SOON

Arcade Stick News & Resources

Arcade Stick Parts & Accesories

Arcade Stick Release Calendar

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Reserved Post for future information. Currently filling it in with random images of arcade sticks (and girls) lol.

7131_128675563882_2067804_n.jpg

25567_380771278882_5054176_n.jpg

34259_404017833882_4937930_n.jpg

62879_434376238882_2576502_n.jpg

480022_10150969197138883_1408240249_n.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm curious how many people have had a chance to try the new Hori Fighting Edge, and what they think of it. It seems really slick from the videos I've seen, but that says nothing about how it feels.

LegatoB

MarkMan, when are you going to give back to the community and start raffling off your stick collection? You do want #esports to blow up, right?

Tobe

holy shit new thread, well gonna take a picture of my sticks and post my collection, its small but i worked my ass off for my stick money.

jbug617

Banned
I'm curious how many people have had a chance to try the new Hori Fighting Edge, and what they think of it. It seems really slick from the videos I've seen, but that says nothing about how it feels.

I have the Fighting Edge. I really like the stick but the buttons you need to get use to them. Also the 360 version doesn't allow you to program all your buttons like the ps3 version.

A new thread!?

Nice to see Arcade Stick-GAF is alive and mashing buttons! ^___^

I'll definitely be posting some pictures of my new stick once I finish all the modifications and make eet perrrrdy.

Edit:
A small preview of my rainbow catastrophe

Salsa

starting the process of building my own next week hopefully. Hype!

got many tips already but if there's anything I MUST know (and places to buy sanwa parts with international free shipping) feel free to mention it! building it for fighters btw

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Call Kotaku!

Anyways, I've always been jealous of everyone and their custom sticks :( I really wish I could play on some and make them but oh well T_T

noodalls

My arcade stick has an amazing feature that not even Markman's sticks can do

(and I'm posting on page 1 so I can later upload an image and have it on P1 for eternity.)

Skilletor

I have one. It's awesome. I love the stick in it. Feels really nice. A bit looser than the Sanwas I'm used to. The kuros are much better than stock hori, but not as good as sanwas or seis. I swapped mine out for some Sanwas and now it's the perfect stick. I'm a big guy, so I prefer my sticks large.

I'd say my top 3 plastic sticks are:

1. Fighting Edge

It'd be a tossup between the Mad Catz VS stick and the Hori SC5. I prefer the size of the Hori, but the build of the VS.

For the new thread, my favorite custom:

SAM_0649.jpg

SAM_0648.jpg

SAM_0642.jpg

SAM_0635.jpg

SAM_0646.jpg

And my collection (not updated...I got a new custom case and a VS stick @ EVO):

04afc1d8bffa11e1a9f71231382044a1_7.jpg

Duxxy3

Oh man, gonna take a long time to update the broken links from the last OT.

It's been a year now and i can say, without a doubt, i am far more comfortable using a stick than i am a pad.

Yes Boss!

I love my little collection. I'll probably be with all of it next year when I move to Maryland but here is what I have in storage in a closet in Laguna (where I'm on vacation right now). It is about a third, with another third in storage in San Diego, and the rest of my sticks in Germany. Messy, but I love just picking a stick and using it for a game for a few weeks then putting it back and grabbing something else for another game. Next year I plan on putting them all out in my game room. Think I have about 85 now. I love them and I love the fact that collecting them is a hobby absolutely nobody cares about. My fourth hobby after cooking, indian movies, nintendo. This thread keeps me going.

DSC00609.jpg

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
OMG! I feel I will get noticed now: Would you guys recommend the $60 Hori Arcade Stick (the V3 I believe) for a total newb to fighting games or could I get something better for around the same price somewhere else?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Does the EVO fight stick really light up like that or that just the MarkMan edition? It's beautiful. Really is the prettiest stick I've ever seen.

DasRaven

OMG! I feel I will get noticed now: Would you guys recommend the $60 Hori Arcade Stick (the V3 I believe) for a total newb to fighting games or could I get something better for around the same price somewhere else?

At that price, the MadCatz WWE All-stars Brawl stick is the better choice. OEM parts are OK for a beginner and arcade parts just drop in.

Or, spend the extra $30 to get the Hori SCV stick ($99 most places) which comes with arcade-quality parts out of the box. I have a V3, but I converted it to bluetooth for PS3 use. The thinner chassis makes using arcade-quality parts a chore.

Does the EVO fight stick really light up like that or that just the MarkMan edition? It's beautiful. Really is the prettiest stick I've ever seen.

Markman rushed the Evo doors to get 1st edition ArcEye3 button LEDs and a Remora controller to make that happen. Both are available @ gdlk.co

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, noob to fighting games and sticks here, but I picked up UMvC3 a few weeks ago ever since I saw it at EVO and have been having a blast with it. Figured I would pick up a stick, but not really sure where to start. I saw the Hori SCV stick suggested and it's on sale for $99, is that any good? I was reading some reviews that dock it points because it has a square gate though, is that a bad thing?

Feedback I've gotten from friends I've let try mine is positive. We were really surprised how quiet the lever is, but it still had perfect response.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Thread title okay?

^.^

I'll update the thread tomorrow after I get back from SBO qualifiers.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Posted this yesterday in the old thread...

157bb4f8d31511e1b62722000a1e8b36_7.jpg

The HORI RAP V3-SA Kai and VX-SA Kai. US versions (yes it's coming out here). Early. ;)

Now for some random pics...

I love my prototype FightStick PRO...

74917120d31611e1a82b22000a1e880b_7.jpg

Running out of room in one of my corner stashes...

e502aeecd31611e19bab1231382048e0_7.jpg

ranmafan

I just recently preordered my first arcade stick since the NES era. I got the Persona Arena fight stick preordered. Hope it comes this week but it looks like Im in the second shipment for it or something according to amazon japan. Cant wait to finally play some fighting games with a arcade stick again.

kirblar

I just picked up two cheap sticks on Ebay for casual play. Hopefully they work out well. (I'm introducing the game (SFIV, MvC3)to a friend's kids next week and figured i might as well have them learn stick, lol.)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
At that price, the MadCatz WWE All-stars Brawl stick is the better choice. OEM parts are OK for a beginner and arcade parts just drop in.

Or, spend the extra $30 to get the Hori SCV stick ($99 most places) which comes with arcade-quality parts out of the box. I have a V3, but I converted it to bluetooth for PS3 use. The thinner chassis makes using arcade-quality parts a chore.

Markman rushed the Evo doors to get 1st edition ArcEye3 button LEDs and a Remora controller to make that happen. Both are available @ gdlk.co

Awesome find!!! I got the WWE Arcade Stick. Will probably mod once it arrives. Really couldn't beat that price.

Thank you so much!

here are my sticks. just stock parts. nothing fancy.

IMG_0204.jpg

Tekken 6 HRAP 3

IMG_0206.jpg

HRAP v3 SA. I won on a contest last year. Signed by Cross Counter guys.

IMG_0209.jpg

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
I got into contact with the Joytron folks to help with the international EXChanger review for IPLAYWINNER. I am gonna hit up Haunts for a greenlight involving the Hori Real Arcade Pro V Kai models. Since I already reviewed the Virtua Fighter V3-SA and the Kai models have some minor upgrades, I think there might be something else in line for it.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I got into contact with the Joytron folks to help with the international EXChanger review for IPLAYWINNER. I am gonna hit up Haunts for a greenlight involving the Hori Real Arcade Pro V Kai models. Since I already reviewed the Virtua Fighter V3-SA and the Kai models have some minor upgrades, I think there might be something else in line for it.

The Kai is way different from the V3-SA (VF5 edition). There's a lot more to the stick other than the button layout. It's worth going in (if you know what I mean) and seeing how other things stick together as well. Overall. I don't like the stick, but that's just my personal preference.

Regarding the EXChanger, lol at that stick. There's a reason why no one uses it. NeoPenny (another collector/avid member of the Mexican/TJ FGC) went above and beyond to try and get one... just to be disappointed. It has a lot of cool stuff going for it though. It's just the actual feel/usage of it doesn't get the job done.

I miss reviewing sticks. A competing stick company asked me to review their sticks and I told them I could probably do it but under a pseudonym or something lol.

I just bought a Hori Fight Stick V3. It cost over $100 because of shipping and thank goodness I wasn't taxed by customs. I'm still learning it, I can barely do a Hadouken from the right side of the screen. Practice makes perfection, we'll see :)
Here's a pic I took right before I unboxed it:
AyHRlbUCQAEqOgU.jpg

I want to put a custom artwork, but I don't want to open it so soon so I'll just leave it as it is :(

Daigoro

Awesome find!!! I got the WWE Arcade Stick. Will probably mod once it arrives. Really couldn't beat that price.

Thank you so much!

if you're going to spend the time and money to mod it, you might have well just bought the SC5 stick for an extra $30.

Duxxy3

Heads up for those looking for a solid, cheaper entry into the obsession that Markman has started in all of us...

WWE Brawl Stick - Amazon $29.99

Currently both PS3 and 360 versions are in stock and available at that price.

Cool - that is now the default choice for anyone that doesn't want to spend $99 on a full sanwa equipped stick.

Though i would still recommend going that route anyhow.

h3ro

Yes, but how is the quality? It's not going to break for being a $30 stick is it?

Solid as heck. I use my original SFIV SE stick as my travel stick. Only thing I did replace the buttons/stick with Sanwa parts (which was a breeze and quite fun, btw).

The construction is quite good, the stick is compact while still having some decent weight to it and I have to say that I miss the wrist slope of the SE when I switch over to playing on my TE stick.

AAK

I know I'm repeating myself from the previous thread but since this is a new one I just need to vent my frustration:

IMG_0204.jpg

Tekken 6 HRAP 3

Why can't more arcade sticks be like the ones above??? I really wish arcade manufacturers put more space in between the stick and the buttons. I tried playing with the Madcatz TE's, the Hori V3's, and it's so uncomfortable for me having both of my hands so close to one another. It overall has such a cramped feeling and I don't see how having them so close is a better design decision.

Oh well, I still use my T6 HRAP 3. I think I'll stick with it and eventually mod it with other buttons and sticks when it gives me trouble.

Top Bottom