• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

I want Sailor V OVA.

Toei Animation said:
idWdaD9aU16f7.gif

UberTag

Here's the stuff I have on my desktop.

isyRK85xHyvXS.jpg
Naoko Takeuchi said:
This was the color preface to "Ami-chan’s first love" which was even made into a movie (awesome!). I never in my wildest dreams imagined that this manga would become a movie. At a private showing, all the fans watching it gave it a big reception, and I was very happy, but also a little embarrased. In the picture, the book that Ami-chan is reading is an ecchi book.
This is how the above sketch was portrayed in the Ami-chan no Hatsukoi special...

BathtubAmi_zps9896d18b.jpg

MizunoAmifull80738_zps070bda2b.jpg

As you can see, this is clearly a normal book and not something scandalous and ecchi.

And yes, a Sailor V OVA would be amazeballs.

Part two of my PGSM wallpaper series: Sailor Mercury!

I'll probably make the Sailor Mars version later today.

I'll be uploading them here. I also have a few different versions of the Sailor Moon wallpaper in this series. I redid a bunch of stuff because I realized that I couldn't reuse what I made easily, so I just redid it all, and that new stuff is what I'm basing the rest of the series on. For now, I'm just making the five Inners. I don't know if I'll make Sailor Luna or any villains yet.

I'm also making avatar and signature versions for other sites. I also have an album for PGSM pictures, where I'm uploading the cutouts I make for these wallpapers and things, and other random pics.

I might do some stuff based on the anime and manga after I'm done with these. I've tried doing some in the past, but I couldn't come up with any ideas.

Anyway, if you guys would like me to try and make anything for you, let me know!

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
While I agree overall, one thing I have to admit is that the one thing I think the English dub got right is the voice acting. Overall, the voice actors are much better to me, ESPECIALLY for Usagi and Luna.

Yes! The voices in the first English-version season were pretty much perfect (although personally I find they made Luna sound to much like an old woman and not enough like the cute cat she is). The voices were still great in the 3rd and 4th season, with the exception of the new voice for Sailor Moon herself (just DREADFUL) and Sailor Uranus (equally as awful)

Am I the only one who laughs every time someone says Negaverse/force/power/moon/etcetera in the English dub?

Also, what's with the attack names? Burning Mandala became Mars Celestial Fire Surround...but it's not surrounding anything. They also made her say "Mars Fireballs Charge" when she uses her spirit wards, even though there are no fireballs...just paper.

Venus Love Me Chain became Venus Love Chain Encircle...but she doesn't encircle anything! Besides maybe her canned attack animation.

Oh, and like half the voices on the show sound like old people. Some are decent, though...but the dialogue tends to be really bad regardless...but often in the "so bad, it's good" kinda way.

There's also a lot of really bad visual and audio editing. Stuff will cut off awkwardly all the time, and music will loop or cut in such obvious ways, most notably during transformations.

And yet...I don't know why, but I still kinda enjoy the dub. It's got this weird cheesy charm to it. I wouldn't really recommend it to people, though, especially if they're new to it. But, man, some of the bad lines are just gold, like shown in this thread. I wish these compilation videos of them that used to be on YouTube were still there...oh, well...

Necrovex

Never watched Sailor Moon, but maybe now is the time to start.

I ask how Sailor Moon was in Anime-Gaf, but no one responded to that (a few quoted my post for Time of Eve), so I want to hear about the merits of this show. Never seen the show besides a few minutes here and there. If I watch this show, I plan to watch it in Japanese. I somewhat want to prepare myself for the new show.

I love Utena and Madoka (I know the latter is a deconstruction). I've been told Sailor Moon is the pinnacle and founder of the magical girl genre. Can anyone give me an inform opinion of this show?

cj_iwakura

I ask how Sailor Moon was in Anime-Gaf, but no one responded to that (a few quoted my post for Time of Eve), so I want to hear about the merits of this show. Never seen the show besides a few minutes here and there. If I watch this show, I plan to watch it in Japanese. I somewhat want to prepare myself for the new show.

I love Utena and Madoka (I know the latter is a deconstruction). I've been told Sailor Moon is the pinnacle and founder of the magical girl genre. Can anyone give me an inform opinion of this show?

Well, this is basically the OG, the one that inspired all the detractors. It's mostly monster of the week, but the core villains all get their time to shine, and the battles are always great. Even the MotW episodes have plenty of drama and/or slice of life hilarity.

It balances the two very well, and some of the best episodes were MotW ones.

Necrovex

Well, this is basically the OG, the one that inspired all the detractors. It's mostly monster of the week, but the core villains all get their time to shine, and the battles are always great. Even the MotW episodes have plenty of drama and/or slice of life hilarity.

It balances the two very well, and some of the best episodes were MotW ones.

What is the overall tone like? I heard from others that the seasons slowly become darker as it goes along, is that right?

Amazing they did the whole manga in only 12 volumes...

The original manga release was 18 volumes, and then when they re-released them in Japan in 2003-2004 during the time Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon was on, they condensed it to 12 by stuffing more chapters per volume. Codename: Sailor V went from 3 to 2. The new release we got is based on all of those.

There are also new versions with larger pages and new covers being released in Japan right now. Only the first two have been released, I think. Not sure how many volumes the new release will have, or if there will be an English release of them.

Size comparison: https://twitter.com/moonkittynet/status/407006283904987136

Cheerilee

Saw this in the pick-up thread...

Are they any good? Amazing they did the whole manga in only 12 volumes...

If you're referring to the "Short Stories" volumes, I'd say yes. They're a number of standalone chapters that contribute absolutely nothing to the overall story arc of Sailor Moon. They're just fun little stories.

The first couple of chapters are "Chibi-Usa's Picture Diary", and they're about Chibi-Usa doing Chibi-Usa things like going to school, and fighting random vampires.

Then there's a Mako-chan chapter. Then there's Ami-chan's First Love, which was later animated as a special due to immense popularity. Then Minako acts like a goofball and invites herself into Rei's private school.

The second volume is pretty much dominated by "Lover of Princess Kaguya", a story in which Luna (a cat) falls in love with a human. It eventually became the Sailor Moon S movie. But it ends with "Parallel Sailor Moon", a story in which the gang has grown up and now they all have jobs and kids, and their kids become new Sailor Senshi. This story was at one point rumored to become the base of the new anime.

cj_iwakura

If you're referring to the "Short Stories" volumes, I'd say yes. They're a number of standalone chapters that contribute absolutely nothing to the overall story arc of Sailor Moon. They're just fun little stories.

The first couple of chapters are "Chibi-Usa's Picture Diary", and they're about Chibi-Usa doing Chibi-Usa things like going to school, and fighting random vampires.

Then there's a Mako-chan chapter. Then there's Ami-chan's First Love, which was later animated as a special due to immense popularity. Then Minako acts like a goofball and invites herself into Rei's private school.

The second volume is pretty much dominated by "Lover of Princess Kaguya", a story in which Luna (a cat) falls in love with a human. It eventually became the Sailor Moon S movie. But it ends with "Parallel Sailor Moon", a story in which the gang has grown up and now they all have jobs and kids, and their kids become new Sailor Senshi. This story was at one point rumored to become the base of the new anime.

Sounds great. I've never read the manga outside of Mixxzine, mostly because I love the anime and SM manga purists have scared me away from it in the past.

Cheerilee

SM Ep2
WTF lmao @ the teacher crying and saying "No one will marry me now" after Umino lifts up her skirt.

I've seen that joke a couple of times in anime.

Basically, the girl believes that she's supposed to save herself for marriage > Somebody sexually harasses her > In a panic, and feeling sexually violated, she jumps to the absurd conclusion that she has been disqualified from her life in respectable society, and usually starts crying.

I'm not sure of the intended implications of the joke, but it seems to speak to elements of Japanese society.

I've seen that joke a couple of times in anime.

Basically, the girl believes that she's supposed to save herself for marriage > Somebody sexually harasses her > In a panic, and feeling sexually violated, she jumps to the absurd conclusion that she has been disqualified from her life in respectable society, and usually starts crying.

I'm not sure of the intended implications of the joke, but it seems to speak to elements of Japanese society.

Ohhhh I see.

Up to Ep 7 now. Why am I enjoying this show even more than I did when I watched it back when I was 16? It's weirding me out.

Articalys

Anime Expo megaton

English voice cast of classic Sailor Moon series to reunite for the first time in the United States
In honor of Sailor Moon’s 20th anniversary and the upcoming remake, Anime Expo is pleased to welcome the classic Sailor Moon series’ voice cast for their first full reunion appearance in the United States! Anime Expo 2014 Guests of Honor, Linda Ballantyne (Sailor Moon, seasons 3 and 4), Susan Roman (Sailor Jupiter), Katie Griffin (Sailor Mars), Karen Bernstein (Sailor Mercury, seasons 1 and 2), and Stephanie Morgenstern (Sailor Venus, seasons 1 and 2) will all be participating in a Sailor Moon panel as well as individual autograph sessions.

Cheerilee

Weird that they went out of their way to get all of the original cast and then passed over Terri Hawkes. Perhaps she declined.

Even so, that's a big deal for most of these VAs. They haven't done too many public appearances as a group outside of Toronto.

IIRC, Terri said at the Vancouver convention that she has family commitments, so she doesn't really like to fly off for the weekends and leave her kids to tuck themselves in at night, but it's fine once in a while, and she currently figures she can handle about two or three conventions a year.

I'm more surprised that they don't have Sugar or Vince, since this convention is in LA, and those two already live in LA, and had to fly out to Vancouver for that one.

Of course, someone asked the Vancouver organizers why they weren't able to get [insert voice actor] on board, and they answered "Budget". They had X amount of money, so they tried to see who they could get, and before they knew it they had an impressive list, but they had to stop since all of their money was gone. I'm sure Anime Expo has more money than Anime Revolution did, but they probably weren't willing to commit to dropping all of it on Sailor Moon VA's.

I hope some of you are able to attend. Not only was it great to get to meet some of these people in person and get to shake their hands, but it was a great feeling to be surrounded by all sorts of fans who enjoyed Sailor Moon as much as I did.

Spent a good few hours rewatching all of the Sailor Moon movies. I was originally thinking about just watching Sailor Moon S: The Movie, since it's the most Christmas-y, but I ended up watching all three in a row in order. It was nice watching them again. I hadn't seen them in a few years.

I think I'll go rewatch the PGSM Sailor V Special Act now, since...it takes place during Christmas time. Plus it's an excuse to watch more Sailor Moon stuff!

Anyway, happy holidays!

Spent a good few hours rewatching all of the Sailor Moon movies. I was originally thinking about just watching Sailor Moon S: The Movie, since it's the most Christmas-y, but I ended up watching all three in a row in order. It was nice watching them again. I hadn't seen them in a few years.

I think I'll go rewatch the PGSM Sailor V Special Act now, since...it takes place during Christmas time. Plus it's an excuse to watch more Sailor Moon stuff!

Anyway, happy holidays!

Any excuse to watch more Sailor Moon stuff is a great excuse!

Merry Christmas, Senshi! <3

Sailor V's such a badass, she doesn't even need to fight.

iTmaWKKkoxuux.gif

Also...best villain?

iZ2shUDTgImc4.gif
icFZUhdtDGagm.gif

Such a boss.

Edit: Christmas bonus! New PGSM wallpapers!:

And if anyone wants to use them, here are Mercury and Mars avatars:
4FHqmwz.png
M4856T8.png

Top Bottom